Forum Settings
Forums

Is there really anything wrong with being an anime "casual"?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 2, 2016 9:31 PM

Oct 2013
sjo said:
keragamming said:

Please don't become one of them, we already have enough of them as it is.

Why are you people so afraid of using the entire rating system? It's there for a reason. 6 is not a bad rating, it literally means fine. Even 5 isn't a bad rating. It means average.

CheekyKunt said:
I"m never fond of disrespecting other people's taste. I mean the reason there's so many different types of anime is to cater to everyone's preference.

However..

sjo said:
Why are you people so afraid of using the entire rating system? It's there for a reason. 6 is not a bad rating, it literally means fine. Even 5 isn't a bad rating. It means average.

This is something I have to agree with. Don't really enjoy getting berated for giving 6s and 5s when they actually mean fine and average. 4 and below is when it starts to get bad. The rating system should definitely be used more efficiently.

it's because most people don't or rarely finish a below average series. Mediocre series are already tough to finish, how will I manage to finish a bad series? In most cases I drop them. I rate my drop anime, but most people don't that's why the 1-4 scores aren't use that often.

I do believe if we were watching movies instead of series, the rating system would be used more efficiently, since watching a 1 hour + series in one sitting is much easier than finishing a 12-25 episodes series with 20 minutes in each episode.

Most people Like myself would rather watch something that they enjoy or at least find some interest in, rather than to waste their time watching some bad anime. Well, I hope this explanation cleared up a few confusion you guys had.

I also wonder how, some people manage to finish so many bad anime, like some persons watch more bad anime than good anime. I don't know I think that's just a waste of time, when you could be spending it watching something worthwhile, time is too short to waste. Not saying you or anyone shouldn't watch any bad anime.
keragammingSep 2, 2016 9:35 PM
Sep 2, 2016 9:36 PM

Feb 2015
sman3579 said:
_Ako_ said:
Hey.. Your mean score has no effect on me, I'm just merely saying what would others say... And I mean no harm about that

I don't know if it is necessarily something other people would say since there are quite a few people with lower mean scores than me. If I had a mean score of 4 or 3 and said anime is for entertainment then yeah I can see how that can come off as an ironic statement, but I don't think having a mean score of 6.33 and saying anime is for entertainment is that weird of a statement, but that's just me. Others can think what they want.

Mhhh... Well I have a pretty low standard, so 6.33 is low for me. I just 7.5 should be fine, in my opinion.

Not that I care about mean score. I mean, hey I can pretty much rate every series I watch to 1/10, but that doesn't really reflect what I feel about it.

In short, in someways, mean score don't tell what really is going in your mind, rather your opinion is. Thus, in the end, nothing really matters.
Sep 2, 2016 9:43 PM
Aug 2010
People really uses that anime causal thing, never heard of it, and it sounds stupid.
Sep 2, 2016 9:44 PM

Aug 2016
keragamming said:

You seem to have miss the point. You say that there are "exception" right? I'm saying instead of saying for eg. slice of life anime are crap, you could instead say "most" slice of life anime are crap" since there are exceptions.
I don't care about your opinion, just word your statements properly.

>Literally arguing about whether or not a person used the word "most" in a sentence.

Liking something =/= quality.

So are you telling me you like death note and fmab, but you don't think they're quality series?

Wat. No. Liking something does not automatically mean it has quality, and something having quality does not automatically mean a person will like it. That doesn't mean that a person cannot like something of quality.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Sep 2, 2016 9:51 PM

Oct 2015
keragamming said:
sjo said:

CheekyKunt said:
I"m never fond of disrespecting other people's taste. I mean the reason there's so many different types of anime is to cater to everyone's preference.

However..

This is something I have to agree with. Don't really enjoy getting berated for giving 6s and 5s when they actually mean fine and average. 4 and below is when it starts to get bad. The rating system should definitely be used more efficiently.

it's because most people don't or rarely finish a below average series. Mediocre series are already tough to finish, how will I manage to finish a bad series? In most cases I drop them. I rate my drop anime, but most people don't that's why the 1-4 scores aren't use that often.

I do believe if we were watching movies instead of series, the rating system would be used more efficiently, since watching a 1 hour + series in one sitting is much easier than finishing a 12-25 episodes series with 20 minutes in each episode.

Most people Like myself would rather watch something that they enjoy or at least find some interest in, rather than to waste their time watching some bad anime. Well, I hope this explanation cleared up a few confusion you guys had.

I also wonder how, some people manage to finish so many bad anime, like some persons watch more bad anime than good anime. I don't know I think that's just a waste of time, when you could be spending it watching something worthwhile, time is too short to waste. Not saying you or anyone shouldn't watch any bad anime.

Your logic makes my head hurt. How can I recognize poor quality if I just shy away from it? I'll watch bad anime so I can justify my views on it accurately. It also helps me appreciate the good stuff a lot more. And if my commentary and rating on something will help someone in the future get a better idea on it, even the better. Not rating something below a certain score seems like a cowardly way to approach things. It's not like the ratings will actually affect your viewing pleasure or how the anime does overall. But we need to be realistic. No matter the medium you follow, a proper use of the entire spectrum is the way to go. And if that offends you or you're bothered by people with low mean scores, that reflects a flaw in your character or mentality.
LE: not to mention, I want to better understand the medium, so yeah, I'll put up with garbage too if I have to. I'll finish trash and call it out for what it is and I will call out people for liking it in the hope that the community will slowly improve. It's not like we can actually change what japanese studios release, but if we can at least make the western community a better place, we have to do it. As it is now, it feels like it has been invaded by superficial, oversensitive sjws who can't seem to use any form of critical thinking. Everyone's way too emotional and lets said emotions dictate their every action, even if that makes them completely irrational.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Sep 2, 2016 9:57 PM

Oct 2013
Psyotic said:
keragamming said:

You seem to have miss the point. You say that there are "exception" right? I'm saying instead of saying for eg. slice of life anime are crap, you could instead say "most" slice of life anime are crap" since there are exceptions.
I don't care about your opinion, just word your statements properly.

>Literally arguing about whether or not a person used the word "most" in a sentence.

Liking something =/= quality.

So are you telling me you like death note and fmab, but you don't think they're quality series?

Wat. No. Liking something does not automatically mean it has quality, and something having quality does not automatically mean a person will like it. That doesn't mean that a person cannot like something of quality.

Exactly, using "most or majority" of mainstream anime suck, is way better than saying mainstream anime suck! it will be taken literally, and you will be attacked by fmab fans, since almost everyone love that series including yourself. Generalization is always bad, because there is always exceptions.

Duh! thanks for stating the obvious. smh. I brought up death note and fmab, and then you say liking a anime doesn't mean I think it's quality, so I thought you were talking about death note and fmab.

@sjo what you're saying is true, I do complete a good amount of bad series, and I believe I'm experience enough to know and express myself on what I think of a particular series. but let's just say completing bad anime is not something I enjoy doing, so I try not to do it too often.

And I don't blame people for dropping bad anime, I don't know if you can understand this, but when a anime you're watching starts to feel like a chore, it's not a good feeling. Watching something that you're not enjoying is not something easy to do. imo and the motives for completing one isn't worth while. Though when it comes to a mega popular series or a well loved series, you could have a motive to finish it out of curiosity or just wanting to be apart of the trend. even if the series is horrible.
keragammingSep 2, 2016 10:15 PM
Sep 2, 2016 10:04 PM

Jun 2014
@Keragamming - Watching "bad" anime isn't a waste of time if you love the medium and want to experience more of it. I have never regretted watching nor finishing an anime and will likely never feel that way.
Sep 2, 2016 10:09 PM

Aug 2016
keragamming said:
it will be taken literally

That sounds more like their problem.

Generalization is always bad, because there is always exceptions.

I can't tell if the irony here is deliberate or not.

And again, generalizations aren't inherently bad so long as they are kept general. The exception should be implied.

Duh! thanks for stating the obvious. smh. I brought up death note and fmab, and then you say liking a anime doesn't mean I think it's quality, so I thought you were talking about death note and fmab.[/quote]
Sep 2, 2016 10:22 PM

Oct 2015
keragamming said:
Psyotic said:

Exactly, using "most or majority" of mainstream anime suck, is way better than saying mainstream anime suck! it will be taken literally, and you will be attacked by fmab fans, since almost everyone love that series including yourself. Generalization is always bad, because there is always exceptions.

Duh! thanks for stating the obvious. smh. I brought up death note and fmab, and then you say liking a anime doesn't mean I think it's quality, so I thought you were talking about death note and fmab.

@sjo what you're saying is true, I do complete a good amount of bad series, and I believe I'm experience enough to know and express myself on what I think of a particular series. but let's just say completing bad anime is not something I enjoy doing, so I try not to do it too often.

And I don't blame people for dropping bad anime, I don't know if you can understand this, but when a anime you're watching starts to feel like a chore, it's not a good feeling. Watching something that you're not enjoying is not something easy to do. imo and the motives for completing one isn't worth while. Though when it comes to a mega popular series or a well loved series, you could have a motive to finish it out of curiosity or just wanting to be apart of the trend. even if the series is horrible.

I do understand what you're saying. I've experienced it being a chore with stuff like KLK or Tiger & Dragon.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Sep 2, 2016 10:26 PM

Oct 2013
Kagami said:
@Keragamming - Watching "bad" anime isn't a waste of time if you love the medium and want to experience more of it. I have never regretted watching nor finishing an anime and will likely never feel that way.

We are all different for a reason. I personally love the medium because of the good series not the bad ones.

@Psyotic

"That sounds more like their problem."

Yeah, keep making generalized statements, you will get into unnecessary arguments on the net and in real life. Do you think if you say you hate Japanese people for eg, that they would think, that you don't mean literally every Japanese person?

So don't tell me that the exception should be "implied" no one would be thinking that.
Sep 2, 2016 10:30 PM

Jun 2014
@Keragamming - The way you worded that made it sound like I love anime for the bad ones and not good ones. I can't speak for everybody, but I love the medium for good AND bad anime. I just watch whatever and want to experience more of the medium.
Sep 2, 2016 10:33 PM

Aug 2016
Never worry about what people say is "good" anime and "bad" anime. Everyone's tastes are different, and you should enjoy whatever you want without worrying about other's criticisms. Of course, obviously not for everything xD but for anime, yes.

Nothing wrong with being casual about anime. When I first started watching, I was obsessed and had to watch all the anime. But now, I watch every so often when I find something that really piques my interest.
Sep 2, 2016 10:36 PM

Oct 2013
Kagami said:
@Keragamming - The way you worded that made it sound like I love anime for the bad ones and not good ones. I can't speak for everybody, but I love the medium for good AND bad anime. I just watch whatever and want to experience more of the medium.

No, not at all. I was just saying I love it only for the good series, oh and the anime fans as well. The medium would be nothing without us.
Sep 2, 2016 10:36 PM

Jan 2016
I mean , Casuals ARE pretty much human garbage that all deserve to die, but otherwise no i don't see anything wrong with being a god damned filthy casual.
Sep 2, 2016 10:39 PM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:
Kagami said:

No, not at all. I was just saying I love it only for the good series, oh and the anime fans as well. The medium would be nothing without us.

We are the best fans in the world.

R-Right?
Sep 2, 2016 10:46 PM

Oct 2013
Kagami said:
keragamming said:

We are the best fans in the world.

R-Right?

From my experience compare to sports fans and gaming fans. F***k yeah! We are. :)
Sep 2, 2016 11:06 PM

Feb 2016
There's nothing wrong excect the elitists want to feel elite. Also niche and "good" anime is for elitists. But more casuals so more casual and "bad" anime will be made for them. Which is just stupid, if an anime made you happy or more complete. Then I don't give a fuck what anime did it. Whether it was sao or trigun, but elitists need to be elite otherwise they have nothing else. Pay these people no heed and point out that they place the value of their existence on having better tastes then the masses in anime.
Sep 2, 2016 11:11 PM

Aug 2016
keragamming said:
Do you think if you say you hate Japanese people for eg, that they would think, that you don't mean literally every Japanese person?

That really isn't a general statement so much as it is expressing a view on a group. A generalization would be saying Japanese people are short.

Applied to anime, a view would be saying I hate mainstream anime. A generalization would be saying mainstream anime is bad. The difference is that one is an objectively verifiable statement, while the other is an opinion.

So don't tell me that the exception should be "implied" no one would be thinking that.

It's not my fault if they don't understand the concept of a general statement.
Sep 2, 2016 11:42 PM

Feb 2016
i still dont get it what the casual or elitist means, and how importance the title is. but as long as they are not exaggerate their shitty favorite anime, they are not wrong
Sep 3, 2016 1:42 PM

Jan 2015
pinkraichu said:
Ari_the_Lioness said:
No seriously, people, what's an anime casual? I know what an elitist is but not a casual. Really, I'm like way behind on anime label lingo.

Someone who watches anime casually. They like it, but are not an extreme fan that watches every day and doesn't get really involved in series or in the anime community.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being an anime casual. Not everyone has the desire or time to constantly keep up to date with the latest anime or get deeply involved with particular series. I like being an otaku, but there are times when I have to watch casually because things get too busy or crazy in my life.

Ah, okay thank you for answering.
Now that I know what this means, I see nothing wrong with it. Just like I see nothing wrong with people who obsessively watch it (unless it's interfering with their everyday lives or something). I mean as long as people are happy and enjoy an anime then there is nothing wrong with enjoying it, whether you do it all the time or not. And not everyone wants to talk to or be a part of an anime community and there's nothing wrong with that either.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 3 hours ago

15 by ShatteredSans »»
24 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

56 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 21 minutes ago

4 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

2 by MadanielFL »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

48 by AzafuseKingTora »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.