Forum Settings
Forums

Do you feel intimidated when you don't understand an anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 25, 2016 9:41 PM

Aug 2014
I never understand any anime since they all speak in Japanese.
Mar 25, 2016 9:42 PM

Jul 2011
Nah, i just go along with it.
As long as it entertains me
Mar 25, 2016 9:44 PM

May 2012
Dandy-san said:
PoeticJustice said:

what philosophical stuff? Kant? Schopenhauer? Heideigger? Huxley? Fechner? Goathe? Locke? Nietzche? Basho?
uh, a lot of stuff. out of what you mentioned, Aldous Huxley, Kant, Locke, Nietzsche. also Marx, Descartes, Hobbes, Rousseau, Adam Smith and the American Founding Fathers.

that's about all the authors I read by age 14

How high is your IQ by chance? You must of been very precocious.
Mar 25, 2016 9:45 PM

Nov 2015
lol I used to but not anymore.
It kind of reminds me of this friend that used to speak gibberish to make me feel bad about myself because I'm apparently not smart enough to understand him.
If I come across an anime like that I just call it pretentious and walk away..
Mar 25, 2016 9:52 PM
Mar 2016
PoeticJustice said:

I dunno, never got tested. yeah, I guess. I didn't relate to anyone in my grade and mostly just read books and enjoyed talking to older people more
Mar 25, 2016 9:55 PM

May 2012
Dandy-san said:
PoeticJustice said:

I dunno, never got tested. yeah, I guess. I didn't relate to anyone in my grade and mostly just read books and enjoyed talking to older people more

You got some good ass taste as well. You might be mal member of the month.
Mar 25, 2016 10:01 PM

Apr 2014
What is this thread? You can only feel intimidated when you expect something harmful to happen. If you don't understand an anime, you would feel confused. Generally, confusion wouldn't intimate a person just watching anime.

Comic_Sans said:
I always understand everything

So I don't know what it feels like not to understand

Aoi Bungaku Series 2nd arc?

Milk_is_Special said:
Ofcourse not, I understand everything because I'm superior to these chinese cartoons.

Best quote, was going to say this lmao.
dissipatedMar 25, 2016 10:19 PM
Mar 25, 2016 10:04 PM
Mar 2016
PoeticJustice said:

lol, thanks

you've got pretty interesting taste, too. I love Mawaru, Mononoke and the old Mushishi. great Kenshin movie, too. I never saw Koi Kaze in a favorites list before, that's an unusual choice, lol
Mar 25, 2016 10:13 PM

May 2012
Dandy-san said:
PoeticJustice said:

lol, thanks

you've got pretty interesting taste, too. I love Mawaru, Mononoke and the old Mushishi. great Kenshin movie, too. I never saw Koi Kaze in a favorites list before, that's an unusual choice, lol

You have to have some obscure tastes now and again you feel me?
Mar 25, 2016 10:15 PM

Mar 2015
Kisaragi said:
Happened to me once when I watched 5cmPerSec when i was 13 years old. Had no idea what was so good about it other than the visuals
You are not alone. Even 20 years old students sometimes fails to understand the story. xD
This salad is salty favored
Mar 25, 2016 10:18 PM
Mar 2016
PoeticJustice said:

You have to have some obscure tastes now and again you feel me?
right, it was a good show, I liked it. maybe I'll rewatch it some time soon
Mar 25, 2016 10:18 PM

Dec 2014
I usually do, even if I don't I can just google the info. But that only happens when I'm really really liking the show. If that isn't the case, I don't bother lol
Thinking.....
Mar 25, 2016 10:35 PM

Nov 2009
1) It's rare that I don't understand a show. But it happens, for example, I do not understand FLCL. Not even after 2 times watching it and an article that explains it is really all about puberty and sex.

2) When it happens, I feel confused, not intimidated. Why should I feel intimidated? I powered through Lain, and in the end it made some sense. Except the parts that did not.

3) As a special case, I have watched Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon. About people who try to reenact history like some kind of giant play, and hope it will make them clever again. Please note the giant robots tilling their fields - the basics underlying their history are completely different from the real world.
In my opinion, it's a bad case of cargo cult, and as a science/tech person, I find it horrible and painful.
Somebody (I think it's @Zefyris ) says I just don't understand it. Something about the original novels and prequels, as far as I remember.

Edit: Changed the username to the proper Zefyris. There are so many Zefyr-themed nicknames on MAL, yet only one of them active on forums.

Still, while I find the work unlikeable because of my flawed understanding, I am not "intimidated".
flannanMar 25, 2016 10:46 PM
Mar 25, 2016 10:48 PM

Feb 2014
No, I just continue watching like it didn't matter and see what happens.
Mar 25, 2016 10:52 PM

Mar 2012
Now, why would I be intimidated by a cartoon?
Mar 25, 2016 10:57 PM

Dec 2012
Nope, I understand most anime anime, except a few.

One example is NGE...
No one completely understood Evangelion at their first watch until they looked it up.
Mar 25, 2016 11:00 PM

Mar 2015
TKotarou said:
Nope, I understand most anime anime, except a few.

One example is NGE...
No one completely understood Evangelion at their first watch until they looked it up.

There's very little to actually "get" in Evangelion.
Mar 26, 2016 2:54 AM

Apr 2013
flannan said:
1) It's rare that I don't understand a show. But it happens, for example, I do not understand FLCL. Not even after 2 times watching it and an article that explains it is really all about puberty and sex.

2) When it happens, I feel confused, not intimidated. Why should I feel intimidated? I powered through Lain, and in the end it made some sense. Except the parts that did not.

3) As a special case, I have watched Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon. About people who try to reenact history like some kind of giant play, and hope it will make them clever again. Please note the giant robots tilling their fields - the basics underlying their history are completely different from the real world.
In my opinion, it's a bad case of cargo cult, and as a science/tech person, I find it horrible and painful.
Somebody (I think it's @Zefyris ) says I just don't understand it. Something about the original novels and prequels, as far as I remember.

Edit: Changed the username to the proper Zefyris. There are so many Zefyr-themed nicknames on MAL, yet only one of them active on forums.

Still, while I find the work unlikeable because of my flawed understanding, I am not "intimidated".

Well, trying to understand a 20k page long story and its 7k long prequel with a whooping 26 episode long anime that mostly focused on the battles and ecchi scene isn't going to be easy. Mecha (god of wars) and android ( automaton) aren't Earth technology, they are the byproduct of another "realm" called "3rd Gear". In the third gear, any machine is naturally alive (this would include very simple stuff like a water cooler and fans, for example if you apply 3rd gear's property on a place where machines we build normally are, they would immediately become sentient for as long as the concept is active here ). It's very specific and only have a practical use for stuff like god of wars and automatons. It's an "integrated concept" rather than a level of technology.
And It's not that they have a technology that is already passed ours, but that their current technology is a mix of several sources. As far as Earth technology goes, they aren't as advanced as we currently are. All the canons and stuff makes use of Ether-type technology and the like. They wouldn't be able to do a machine gun or missile like we can in our world. They're still pretty much at the good old cannon ball from medieval period.

So yeah, for an anime watcher, good luck understanding all of that. 3Rd Gear-related stuff requires you to read the prequel indeed.
ZefyrisMar 26, 2016 2:57 AM
Mar 26, 2016 2:59 AM

Apr 2010
There was one anime I got really confused it... It didn't scare as it make angry.

Mar 26, 2016 3:02 AM

May 2008
I didn't understand the middle school level maths exam stuff in Ansatsu Kyoushitsu. Granted, the principal made it super hard on purpose, but two of the characters still figured it out.

That's the dumbest I've felt in a while, but I've always been terrible at maths so whatever.
Mar 26, 2016 3:13 AM

Nov 2009
@Zefyris
Yeah, there's no way to know that just from watching the anime. Thanks for the explanation.

Zazie122 said:
I didn't understand the middle school level maths exam stuff in Ansatsu Kyoushitsu. Granted, the principal made it super hard on purpose, but two of the characters still figured it out.

That's the dumbest I've felt in a while, but I've always been terrible at maths so whatever.

The stuff children learn in anime schools, when it is actually shown, is completely random. Sometimes they solve simple equations, sometimes they solve integrals. Regardless of the age of students.
Mar 26, 2016 3:16 AM

May 2008
flannan said:

The stuff children learn in anime schools, when it is actually shown, is completely random. Sometimes they solve simple equations, sometimes they solve integrals. Regardless of the age of students.

This is fair. The maths in this series seems pretty accurate though, since it's a sci-fi and the author at least appears to know his shit.
Mar 26, 2016 3:17 AM

Aug 2010
I didn't understand most of the stories in the monogatari series and it felt more extremely boring than scary.
Mar 26, 2016 3:21 AM

Mar 2014
PoeticJustice said:
Comic_Sans said:
What if I told you that Mawaru Penguindrum is the Japanese remake of Seinfeld?

u gonna have to prove that one sonny boy.
Shouma is George
Kanba is Jerry
Himari is Kramer
Ringo is Elaine

It all makes sense
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 26, 2016 4:07 AM

Mar 2015
Kruszer said:
No, I just feel confusion and google it or read forums, like intelligent people do.
this is very underrated post that i would agree.

i don't feel intimadted, what i feel chalangged instead. it's just feel incomplite when i don't understand something. usually i ended googling about it, read forum, or rewatching until i got my own conclusion if i can't find anything. i rewatching utsu musume sayuri 7 times for that. recently feel chalanged by born by my self. already rewatching 3 times and still dont any conclusion. i will rewatch it again in close time.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 26, 2016 5:08 AM

Feb 2016
No i dont.

Like @KonaKoffee4 had said. understanding anime (theme, symboism and such) isnt about intelligent but knowledge about the subject itself.

So, when i dont understand an anime and if I'm really interested in that anime, i'll just google what i dont know.
I.G if an anime use Buddhism symbolism as its theme and your knowledge about Buddhism is little to non then no matter how smart you are, the possibility that you wont understand a single thing is high.

Also Enjoyment of theme and such also depend on individual's real life experience, some theme maybe interesting for other while it's boring for certain people.
Mar 26, 2016 5:19 AM

Jul 2013
Now why would I feel intimidated over a cartoon? If anything else, I'd be more confused than intimidated.
Mar 26, 2016 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
when i dont understand an episode, i watch it again.
if i still dont understand, i keep thinking "am i dumb or what"
and then i google it.
nailing it
Mar 26, 2016 5:28 AM

Mar 2008
Bioshocked said:
...AND YOU DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND

what I thought while watching Yuri Kuma Arashi.

I actually tend to enjoy anime that are more dififcult to understand... but when it gets to a point I don't get anything (e.g. Yuri Kuma..) or the majority of it passes me by I tend to lose interest. That is not the norm though, as I also love to look up stuff (in case I don't understand something)..
Mar 26, 2016 5:29 AM

Jun 2014
PoeticJustice said:
Lemon13 said:

Usually when one doesn't understand an anime, he just claims it's bad. I do that too.
And it's fair... If anime (or any other form of art) is made properly, it can be understood by majority of viewers. Or just some viewers who then could explain it to others?

So if you don't have the knowledge available to understand the anime/work of fiction, it is the fault of the work itself?

Well, Roger Ebert once said "if you have to ask what something symbolises, it didn't."
Mar 26, 2016 5:29 AM

Dec 2015
Hasn't happened to me, I may get confused from shows like Steins Gate, but then I just pause, think about it and voila
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 26, 2016 5:32 AM

Mar 2016
I either rewatch the episode or scenes in question until I get a better understanding, or I turn to Google. I don't think this had ever happened to me, though. Sometimes things seem a little unclear when I watch it for the first time, so I rewind back to it a couple times until I understand. Always works wonders.
Mar 26, 2016 5:45 AM

Feb 2016
No, not intimidated, just confused.
I prefer to take my time learning or understanding something difficult~

>totally off topic: nice avatar xD
Mar 26, 2016 5:47 AM

Jan 2016
Usually if I'm in a lost or didn't get what's going on when I watch a particular scene in an episode, I will go to Google immediately to search some analysis about that one episode or check whether the episode is discussed or not. The reason I'm doing this is because there might be some minor details that I might not noticed when I was watching.

Well, I don't quite understand what do you mean by 'intimidated' but let me tell you something..

It feels frustrating if I don't understand an anime.

I will rack up my brains, recalling the past events that happened in the show and making an effort to understand what message it conveys. >_<
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

Mar 26, 2016 5:47 AM

May 2013
DerpCat said:
PoeticJustice said:

So if you don't have the knowledge available to understand the anime/work of fiction, it is the fault of the work itself?

Well, Roger Ebert once said "if you have to ask what something symbolises, it didn't."

Roger Ebert was also a shitty critic nobody who has any sort of investment in cinema takes seriously.
Mar 26, 2016 5:59 AM

Dec 2015
DerpCat said:
PoeticJustice said:

That isn't necessarily true though. If you had no knowledge of the bible then a lot of symbolism in western culture and films would go right over your head. I know that the most confusing things when I started watching anime were references to Japanese culture that I just had no knowledge of. I still get that, and since I don't speak Japanese I'm sure there are a puns that only work in Japanese that I'm just not getting.
Mar 26, 2016 6:49 AM
Feb 2016
the only anime I don't understand is paranoia agent.it was amzing but confusing as hell at the same time.
Mar 26, 2016 7:21 AM

May 2012
Kokko said:
DerpCat said:

Roger Ebert was also a shitty critic nobody who has any sort of investment in cinema takes seriously.

lmao i didnt know u hated ebert that much fam.
Mar 26, 2016 7:24 AM

May 2013
PoeticJustice said:
Kokko said:

lmao i didnt know u hated ebert that much fam.

He's k
he's an immeasurably better writer than critic.
Mar 26, 2016 8:30 AM

May 2014
I felt like a total pleb because Serial Experiments Lain totally went over my head.

I thought I was a smart girl :c
Mar 26, 2016 8:31 AM

Nov 2015
I'll just conclude it as: its just isn't made for me.

Everyone's brain/mind works different.
Someone thinks that an object is used for symbolism. For the other person it's just an object.

I might be dissapointed that I didn't get the intentions of the author/director.
Mar 26, 2016 10:28 AM

Nov 2009
CrustyRolls said:
I felt like a total pleb because Serial Experiments Lain totally went over my head.

I thought I was a smart girl :c

1) Make sure to watch it to the end. There's a bunch of answers near the end.
It's been a long time since I watched Lain, so I'm not that sure if there were enough answers in the end, sorry.

2) Maybe you were born too late to have the kind of intimate connection to IT that people of my generation have?
Or too late to have the kind of fear of IT that earlier people have? Sometimes I think Lain has more fears than reality in it.

3) Of course, I can't guarantee you're smart enough to understand it. It's not that easy to continue watching while not understanding what the fuck is going on.
Mar 26, 2016 11:28 AM
Jan 2016
No i just get bored and if it continues then i leave it for another while
Mar 26, 2016 11:29 AM

Jun 2015
I'm an idiot, so I thought Shinsekai Yori was kind of confusing. The ending was clear but at the beginning I just had no idea what was happening..
Mar 26, 2016 12:04 PM

Sep 2015
Intimidated? Feels a weird adjective to use for this case.

But no, I don't. If I feel like I haven't understood something, I'll just Google it afterwards.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 26, 2016 12:17 PM

May 2012
-Maz said:
Intimidated? Feels a weird adjective to use for this case.

But no, I don't. If I feel like I haven't understood something, I'll just Google it afterwards.

It is like when you are reading old ass Greek Tragedies. They hard to read.
Mar 26, 2016 9:57 PM

Oct 2011
If I'm in the mood, it just makes me more interested thus giving it more attention.
Mar 26, 2016 10:06 PM
Mar 2016
Ive honestly never stumbled across an anime I've had problems understanding. Maybe the concept doesn't appeal to you. That's the case for many people. Different things are meant to be appealing and understood by different people;demoraphics. đź‘Ś
Mar 27, 2016 1:06 AM

Dec 2014
PoeticJustice said:
People are scared of what they do not understand. Have you ever watched an anime and it went completely over your head?
ur profile pic is intimidating....
Mar 27, 2016 1:09 AM

Oct 2012
That's when you add it to your favorites list and make up something when defending it.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

53 by Playco_Armboy »»
13 seconds ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9088 by jorel262 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What makes you rewatch an anime

nishant0 - Apr 5

38 by sausidge »»
3 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime of each year from 2010 - 2020 ( 1 2 3 4 )

xAki1ra_ - May 21, 2021

164 by sausidge »»
6 minutes ago

» Try describing a lawful, neutral, or chaotic good protagonist or two who would totally be troublesome should he/she/they turn into a villain, without telling us who or which anime or manga, or any other fictional works.

IAmOdie - 16 minutes ago

0 by IAmOdie »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.