Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 14, 2016 5:32 PM

Apr 2014
Just purely out of curiosity, anyone know? Is it just getting hate for its harem setup? It isn't really a harem since there's no love interest. His squad just happens to be filled with girls which is plausible.

So far, it's definitely one of the best anime of this season and a great anime in general, and I've seen 100 days+ worth of anime of all sorts.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 14, 2016 5:35 PM

Sep 2010
I did watch a couple episodes it was good, but maybe its because the anime butchered the source material? Thats usually the case when it comes to LNs.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 14, 2016 5:37 PM

Mar 2013
So, I'm going to take a guess here and say that it probably is most likely due to the problem the show has where, basically, or rather, to put it simply, this show sucks.
Feb 14, 2016 5:40 PM

Apr 2014
Roloko said:
I did watch a couple episodes it was good, but maybe its because the anime butchered the source material? Thats usually the case when it comes to LNs.

Does that imply the LN is even better?

Yeah, this anime seems kind of obscure so I assume LN readers would be the prominent watchers. Though, this anime had a low score b4 ep1 aired so there should be some other factor.

fst said:
So, I'm going to take a guess here and say that it probably is most likely due to the problem the show has where, basically, or rather, to put it simply, this show sucks.

Why is that? I'll like to see some valid criticism.
dissipatedFeb 14, 2016 5:48 PM
Feb 14, 2016 7:08 PM

Oct 2013
It's actually a 6.6, between "Fine" and "Good" , to be honest, Mecha anime are the most realistically ones rated on MAL. Average anime should get a 5, but almost every anime is rated betwen 6 and 7.

So far I've liked Schwarzesmarken a lot, Cold War Thematic + Aliens + Girls in tight bodysuits and the... edgyness.
____

But, in general MAL just dislikes mecha anime, Mecha has fallen to be the most unpopular anime genre, even one step below Yuri.

That's why mecha anime almost every time never break the "8.00" barrier.

And, yeah, I've heard the anime butchered a lot of the source material, that happens in almost every LN based anime.
Feb 15, 2016 4:19 AM
Jul 2018
Pace feels off, I don't care about any of the characters nor do I like them, I don't care about politics for these fake nations nor do I think it's as well done as people say, the fights are short and boring, the animation is average to below, the spy aspect is a bit annoying with the sister. I would say a 6 is generous.

That's just me though, I have it at a 4 at the moment since it's leaning more negative than positive for me in value.
Feb 15, 2016 2:00 PM

Jul 2013
It's probably the politics. I'm still watching and am mildly engaged, but a lot of the forced tension (especially with Gretel ugh) is insufferable. I like the fights though, and I like the concept of rebelling against a corrupt government institution, so that's why I'm still watching.
Feb 15, 2016 5:20 PM
Mar 2008
Because the people on MAL are into shounen, gore and psycho anime. just watch what is out there on the top.

Mecha gets no love. Probably because Gundam has been around forever and I assume people compare this with other Mecha anime. And then it is simply worse.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse was better than this is, and that was also hated as well.
Feb 16, 2016 2:11 AM
Apr 2015
Skurd said:
Because the people on MAL are into shounen, gore and psycho anime. just watch what is out there on the top.

Mecha gets no love. Probably because Gundam has been around forever and I assume people compare this with other Mecha anime. And then it is simply worse.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse was better than this is, and that was also hated as well.

It's not the mecha's, just look at Sidonia no Kishi's score.
Feb 16, 2016 3:25 AM

Sep 2015
It isn't a show deserving of a higher score.
Bear in mind that if you actually know how to use the 1-10 rating scale, a 6.69 score is perfectly fine. It's above-average.

As for my personal issues with this anime - the politics and drama detract from it, for me. The original Muv Luv deviated from the BETA - rather than having some last-ditch war to preserve humanity, we got beach episodes, a harem and a shounen-esque battle tournament.
Here in Schwarz, we're getting teen drama and some (for me) boring politics. In neither of these have the BETA been the main focus, which is counter-intuitive to the entire premise. It's one thing to have the politics and BETA having equal importance and occurring concurrently, but this is only a single cour. Neither side of this is going to get a decent amount of development.

It also doesn't help that the villains are so boringly clear cut, as well. The Stasi must breathe evil, look evil, speak evil, and every action they take must be insufferably EVILLLLLLLLLL.
Sigh. It doesn't feel remotely believeable. At first I found the "Cold War never officially ended" dynamic to be quite interesting, but they've absolutely butchered it. Rather than making each side seem like they have their own valid reasonings for their thinking, they've just made the Stasi seem like crazed lunatics Hell-bent on destruction and corruption.
I mean, when you have massive echelons of space aliens charging towards your base, switching all your focus into undermining your political opponent makes next to zero sense. It's one thing to take advantage of the confusion; it's another entirely to completely brush aside any threat that the BETA pose.

If this keeps on until the end, I'll probably end up giving this a 5/10 - I'm finding it better than Muv Luv Alternative but this is still really average and medicore.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 16, 2016 1:50 PM

Jan 2008
To me, it was a lot better than Total Eclipse, I gave Total Eclipse a 7.5/8 range while give this an 8/8.5 range. Wait till this series end.
Feb 16, 2016 2:15 PM

Jul 2014
Because MAL hate's anything Mecha so far other than Gurren Lagann, Evangelion and whatever Gundam series' are the good ones.

Also Gun/Diebuster are good in the eyes of most.

But the sad thing is it's all true because almost no new Mecha Shows have ever been better or equal to the ones I listed. They are all just average shows you'll watch when your bored.
ZjjFeb 16, 2016 2:19 PM
Feb 16, 2016 2:16 PM

Nov 2014
Probably not good, I stopped watching since episode 1.

Feb 16, 2016 5:40 PM

Sep 2013
Maybe because from the first episode, the pace is bad, and people dropped at episode 1
Feb 16, 2016 5:55 PM

Sep 2015
desertkona said:
Maybe because from the first episode, the pace is bad, and people dropped at episode 1
No....you have to watch at least 1/5 of a show to make your score count.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 16, 2016 6:22 PM

Nov 2014
-Senpai- said:
desertkona said:
I thought it was 1/3 for a very long time..

Feb 16, 2016 10:34 PM
Jun 2009
frenze12 said:

To be honest, Sidonia's score is way too low. Other than than the choppy framerate of the first few episodes, it's a flawless sci-fi anime (not just mecha) but it's not even in 8-ish rank, way lower than SAO copies such as Overlord where fanboys masturbate to their fantasy of being the strongest in a game world and enjoy cliché harem of a overpowered main character.
Feb 16, 2016 10:43 PM

Sep 2013
-Senpai- said:
desertkona said:

Heee I don't know about this,but for me Schwarzesmarken is good show
Feb 18, 2016 3:56 AM
Jan 2014
It's honestly not that bad. Granted I came in with low expectations given what I heard of Total Eclipse.
And the series is trying to be somewhat serious too (except for I guess the 666 moniker) which is good. Lot's of assumptions that you're familiar with MLA/U are required to appreciate the show though. Could be part of the reason.

Probably an 8 in enjoyment for me with an overall 7.
Feb 18, 2016 7:38 AM

May 2012
I personally rate at least 8/10
Feb 18, 2016 7:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Main problem being that it's a spinoff. There is literally no exposition at all about the world, how the BETA work etcetera, because you're assumed to already have read Muv-Luv Alternative first (which you should). However seeing as MLA does not have an anime adaptation, obviously that's not an option for anime-only viewers. In other words the premise of the story itself is pretty much fucked for anyone that's new to the series

And for those who actually have read MLA, then Schwarzesmarken will just seem incredibly mediocre in comparison to the main game. Not that it's that bad by itself, it's more that MLA overshadows it so hard
Feb 20, 2016 9:25 PM
Jan 2014
HaXXspetten said:
Main problem being that it's a spinoff. There is literally no exposition at all about the world, how the BETA work etcetera, because you're assumed to already have read Muv-Luv Alternative first (which you should). However seeing as MLA does not have an anime adaptation, obviously that's not an option for anime-only viewers. In other words the premise of the story itself is pretty much fucked for anyone that's new to the series

And for those who actually have read MLA, then Schwarzesmarken will just seem incredibly mediocre in comparison to the main game. Not that it's that bad by itself, it's more that MLA overshadows it so hard
MLA overshadows everything so hard though. I agree with the rest.
Mar 11, 2016 12:54 AM

Jan 2010
low score

because of the source of beta in MLA last episode, less thrill for the viewers
Mar 12, 2016 4:05 AM

Jan 2008
ANN give this review a lot better and accurate as well, I don't rely on MAL ratings too much..
Mar 12, 2016 6:45 AM
Apr 2015
planetwarrior said:
ANN give this review a lot better and accurate as well, I don't rely on MAL ratings too much..

Would't trust ANN either if you see it gave Akame ga kill (anime) a solid B
Mar 12, 2016 7:29 AM

Aug 2011
Because this show not One Punch Man.. If OPM surely many ghost will register many account and vote it 10.
Mar 12, 2016 9:38 AM

Jan 2008
frenze12 said:
planetwarrior said:

Would't trust ANN either if you see it gave Akame ga kill (anime) a solid B

The reason for that is the anime diverge its storyline near halfway the end of the series from manga, so it made sense for B+ or could have been worst, making it looking like a filler.
Mar 12, 2016 5:58 PM

Apr 2011
Personaly i think it's the mecha and the fact that not everyone understands the concept and meaning of ''cold war''(I problably wouldn't too if I didin't have to study it for ages at school -_-)
Schwarzesmarken is a mature anime and I quite like the pace and the action. Comparing to Bubuki Buranki (another mecha anime from this season) I'm quite pleased~
Mar 13, 2016 9:15 AM

Jul 2015
Because a lot favorite characters in this anime will die.And may be able to make the viewers heartache >_<
Mar 13, 2016 12:04 PM

May 2009
Because casual anime watchers (majority) hate mecha these days. Of course it's fault of popular series with incredibly shitty endings that even newfags like them hated them (Valvrave, Aldnone/Dies).

Just look at rating of Active Raid. It's fucking joke that it's lower rated than shit like Norn9, Divine Gate or Luck and Logic.
Mar 13, 2016 12:06 PM
Aug 2010
Because this is not a over-hype and friendly to any western otaku like overlord or one punch man (I really don't get the hype with OPM it's really mediocre)
Mar 13, 2016 12:28 PM

Nov 2009
I like anything from the MLA universe so I'm quite surprised with the low score myself.

But then I guess the fact that not everyone has PLAYED the game through is the reason why the score is lower. The game of which this is a spin-off explains so much about whats going on.

I can't hate anything from this universe and I don't even like Mecha stuff as a rule of thumb.
Mar 13, 2016 3:31 PM

Dec 2015
soluuloi said:
frenze12 said:

To be honest, Sidonia's score is way too low. Other than than the choppy framerate of the first few episodes, it's a flawless sci-fi anime (not just mecha) but it's not even in 8-ish rank, way lower than SAO copies such as Overlord where fanboys masturbate to their fantasy of being the strongest in a game world and enjoy cliché harem of a overpowered main character.

Spot on about Sidonia. It is an awesome anime which I think its scored too low as well. Yes, the framrate is choppy sometimes, but then you have some really AMAZING scenes especially in the 2nd season fights (you know which ones I'm talking about). I think lots of people couldn't get behind the CGI and then of course it had kind of a weird start (felt that way to me at least). I had to watch the first couple episodes again after dropping it once at episode 3 then I loved it and couldn't believe I dropped it. I am also not a big mecha fan either.

Schwarzmarken just seems like your run of the mill mecha plot with the whole spy trope to it or the betrayal of a mecha buddy. The warring nations, its just been done many times, the thing that keeps me watching is the BETA attacks. I really love it when they fight the BETA's it is the only thing keeping me interested and some of the political developments (but not so much the latter).
Mar 13, 2016 3:56 PM

Jan 2016
Honestly I am astonished at the score but I think that people already have that pre-conceived perception that this anime is not really good. That sort of vibe. I know it is very typical and I still haven't watched a lot of anime but I appreciate Schwarzesmarken and I actually liked Muv-luv total eclipse too. I just kinda don't like the tragicness of it all..
Mar 13, 2016 5:05 PM

Oct 2008
Zahylon said:
It's actually a 6.6, between "Fine" and "Good" , to be honest, Mecha anime are the most realistically ones rated on MAL.

I have to disagree here.
Just to mention a handful of the shows that's rated way above what they'd deserve:

-7.21 Sousei no Aquarion (it's honestly the worst stuff i have came across since i started watching anime, even though i love mecha shows [not just the worst mecha, the worst anime ever i have seen])

-7.24 Macross 7 (ore no uta o kike!!!44, god if i had to listen to him shouting just once more this line, i would have cut my wrists.)

-7.20 Infinite Stratos (I guess jiggling boobs are giving the score a huge boost)

None of the above mentioned shows offer anything we haven't seen a thousand times before. Aquarion specifically is a totall mess. It's like they had an idea box, and they animated what fell out of it, at each given week. The moaning, the crap cgi, complete unoriginality, did i mention the crap cgi yet? And so the list could go on. It's not about my personal preference, that show is genuinely bad. Then we could talk about the Gundams as well, even though i love it, i have never see a franchise trying to push the same story down my throat this many time, after a little overhaul.

We get something new at last,that doesn't follow the good ol' recipe. Sure, it is using a wide variety of already seen elements, but still manages to represent it in a good way. And the whole east / west Germany + cold war theme is a huge plus. It seriously hurts to see it having such a low score, especially seeing how many way worse show is rated a lot higher than this. But anyone can press whatever rating, even if they've seen only one episode, or have abosultely no clue about what's going on.

Final conclusion is, the rating on MAL does not reflect the quality of a show.
The best is to completely ignore the rating, and decide if it's worth your time after giving it a shot. Especially in case of an ongoing series.

-
And no, i don't think people are hating on the genre. Aldnoah Zero is a good example for that. While it is a prety mediocre show from a mecha point of view, and you can't see a single original element in it, it's rated at 7,74. It really is just how people being "affraid" of anything new, different from what they are used to.
VargrMar 13, 2016 5:24 PM
Mar 13, 2016 7:03 PM

Apr 2011
6.68 is actually very bad for MAL's standards. Usually "average" shows get a MAL score of (7 , 7.5) and the "good" stuff start around (7.8 , 8.3)

I think I know why it's rated this low: Both the VN and the non VN readers didn't like it. It does have pacing problems and the story probably makes no sense for those who never read the MLA VN.

And there's the "WTF why are humans fighting each other when they are getting invaded by aliens !!111".

I actually like this aspect of MLA, humans aren't magically willing to unify in order to fight of a common enemy. That shit is just pure fantasy, no matter how desperate the situation is, humans will always be greedy bastards.
Mar 14, 2016 2:32 AM

Aug 2013
Because they like shit like Grimgar( or fanservic shit like high school dxd ) where the main cast has no idea wtf they are doing and each episode is a musical lol
Mar 14, 2016 8:08 AM

Oct 2008
Freestyle80 said:
Because they like shit like Grimgar( or fanservic shit like high school dxd ) where the main cast has no idea wtf they are doing and each episode is a musical lol

Grimgar really isn't that bad.
It's the first real good rpg themed anime in the past few years.
Mar 14, 2016 8:13 AM

May 2014
Lise is the one to blame
She almost runied anime incest and the yandere/yangire archtype
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Mar 14, 2016 8:18 AM

Jan 2015
Freestyle80 said:

Grimgar is good tho.
Mar 14, 2016 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
Freestyle80 said:

But Grimgar is good though.
Its a good fantasy personally.
Mar 14, 2016 9:59 AM

Apr 2011
Freestyle80 said:

Dude Grimgar is the best (mmo)rpg-ish anime I have ever watched so far lol
Mar 14, 2016 10:38 AM

Aug 2013
dunno, everyone is so clueless and some of the characters are so annoying i cant like it, Log Horizon was much better
Mar 14, 2016 10:40 AM

Jan 2008
Also, the score will update when the series is done.
Mar 14, 2016 11:07 AM

Oct 2008
Freestyle80 said:
dunno, everyone is so clueless and some of the characters are so annoying i cant like it, Log Horizon was much better

Log horizon is totally different, with an overpowered mc. They also know that they are in a game. In grimgar they just happen to wake up in this fantasy world, and have no clue about what's going on around them. They are trying to survive. It also feels a lot more realistic, you can feel with the characters. Most people who'd get trapped in a game, would be scared shitless to do anything, if they were risking their lives with it. From this point of view, all these rpg themed shows suck bigtime compared to Grimgar. The characters also feel a lot more human because of this.

Idk if anyone have noticed it though. This is a good comparison.

Log Horizon is a lot like Aldnoah Zero, and Schwarzesmarken is somewhat closer to Grimgar.

Both Grimgar and Schwarzesmarken:
- scored less than their counterparts.
- neither of them has an overpowered mc.
- takes a completely new aproach of their respective genre.
-

So that might explain the low score on it.
But tbh, the show is still ongoing, so we'll see after the last episode was aired.

VargrMar 14, 2016 11:19 AM
Mar 14, 2016 9:07 PM

Aug 2013
sorry if i sounded rude earlier, was in a bad mood

Vargr said:
Freestyle80 said:

Log horizon is totally different, with an overpowered mc. They also know that they are in a game. In grimgar they just happen to wake up in this fantasy world, and have no clue about what's going on around them. They are trying to survive. It also feels a lot more realistic, you can feel with the characters. Most people who'd get trapped in a game, would be scared shitless to do anything, if they were risking their lives with it. From this point of view, all these rpg themed shows suck bigtime compared to Grimgar. The characters also feel a lot more human because of this.

Idk if anyone have noticed it though. This is a good comparison.

Log Horizon is a lot like Aldnoah Zero, and Schwarzesmarken is somewhat closer to Grimgar.

Both Grimgar and Schwarzesmarken:
- scored less than their counterparts.
- neither of them has an overpowered mc.
- takes a completely new aproach of their respective genre.
-

So that might explain the low score on it.
But tbh, the show is still ongoing, so we'll see after the last episode was aired.

Grimgar idk, i can never get into it, i am watching it just for the sake of it but each episode the main cast is annoying me, they still cant stop talking about the guy that died and the dark knight (Ranta, was it?) he's like a leading contender for the asshole of Winter 2015/16

I've liked Schwarzezmarken so far though, the start was a little bad but it picks up later on, much better than the last muv luv anime we got (Total Eclipse)
Mar 15, 2016 12:42 PM

Jul 2007
Its mech show so a lot of people won't like it.

Its a show rooted in historical knowledge and as we saw with COncrete revolutio last season some viewers struggle with even basic knowledge of history. So they won't like it.

Its a show set in MuvLuv setting so people who dont know material and dont want to think will hate it.

ITs also quite fastpaced,way too fast paced at times(It gets better as it goes with pacing), so people who expected ~26 episode adaptation will not like it.

Its gory so people who like gore won't like it.

Tl;DR mal ratings are utter nonsense and there are a lot of mediocre shows above 8 and a lot of good shows at 7. Go by word of mouth instead.
Mar 20, 2016 8:46 AM
Feb 2010
Zahylon said:
It's actually a 6.6, between "Fine" and "Good" , to be honest, Mecha anime are the most realistically ones rated on MAL. Average anime should get a 5, but almost every anime is rated betwen 6 and 7.

So far I've liked Schwarzesmarken a lot, Cold War Thematic + Aliens + Girls in tight bodysuits and the... edgyness.
____

But, in general MAL just dislikes mecha anime, Mecha has fallen to be the most unpopular anime genre, even one step below Yuri.

And, yeah, I've heard the anime butchered a lot of the source material, that happens in almost every LN based anime.

This anime should start from 7 just for the attention to the detail. During the fight in Poland, the map shown at the command center was quite accurate, it even contained rather small towns like Slupsk or Tczew. Quite a lot of research went into this - they could have just used generic Polish town's name, but went for real ones. That's automatic 7 from me :P

I also don't get what's so wrong with Yuri... It's 1000 times more entertaining than Yaoi...
Mar 20, 2016 10:12 AM

Jan 2008
Rufix said:
Zahylon said:

____

This anime should start from 7 just for the attention to the detail. During the fight in Poland, the map shown at the command center was quite accurate, it even contained rather small towns like Slupsk or Tczew. Quite a lot of research went into this - they could have just used generic Polish town's name, but went for real ones. That's automatic 7 from me :P

I also don't get what's so wrong with Yuri... It's 1000 times more entertaining than Yaoi...

it starts from 7 when it premiered, but when this is done, it'll go back up.
Mar 20, 2016 3:56 PM

Feb 2015
Can't believe it scores lower than Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut which is a big pile of shit and the worst show I'm still watching this season. I don't think it's as good as Muv Luv but it's a decent show.

I think allot of people dropped it within the first 3 episodes which were far from great. The show improves hugely after this point but people didn't stick around to find out.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

78 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 2:14 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2016

76 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 23, 2023 6:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.