Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 2, 2016 5:47 AM

Jan 2010
In this modern day many people stream anime off the internet. I watch using Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Netflix but I also have a fairly decent anime collection at home. So I was curious to see who else still purchases anime on DVD or Blu-Ray like I do?

my current anime collection:
Baccano!, Basilisk, Black Lagoon, Choas:Head, Code Geass, D. Gray-man, Darker than Black, Death Note, Dragon Ball (Vegeta Saga), Elfen Lied, Final Fantasy VII, Fullmetal Alchemist (OVA and Movie), Gantz, Gunslinger Girl, Inuyash (season 1), Nabari, no Ou, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noir, One Piece (all collections), Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom, Psycho-Pass (season 1 part 1), Romeo x Juliet, Samurai Seven, Shiki, Solty Rei, Trinity Blood, Tsubasa, Wolf Children, xxxHolic, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (Season 2, part of 4, & all of 5 ), Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (all available), and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Also I am looking for recommended purchases for great anime on DVD. Movies and TV series alike.
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 2, 2016 6:05 AM

Feb 2013
dvd and blu ray was never the standard way to watch tv shows..

in pre-modern day most people watched anime just on tv..

if you look for recomended purchases.. when in belgium i saw an ergo proxy box set, which if i were a rich belgian resident with "gotta support the industry" mentality i would have totally bought
but the idea of recomended purchase sounds weird 0o
Feb 2, 2016 6:48 AM

Jun 2012
Have a fairly large collection of anime and an even larger collection of manga that is starting to get to the point to warrant an entire bookshelf dedicated to it.

Hulu and Crunchyroll are not my cup of tea, since I am not willing to support the shows that I do not like and that is the majority of anime that air per season.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 2, 2016 6:51 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah, I do when anime DVDs are cheap and I have money. Really wish I would of jumped on series I thought about for a long time like Darker Than Black and Baccano before Aniplex screwed over FUNi.

I buy manga pretty much every time I have money, which is only a couple times a year (can't wait to be hiring age here) so my collection isn't as large as I want it to be. It's growing though.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 2, 2016 6:54 AM

Jan 2013
Never bought before, because anime isnt a thing in my country.
Feb 2, 2016 6:57 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
lol yea i currently have like 25+ series and have a few more coming in the mail

i only buy the cheap DVDs though as BD are FUCKING EXPENSIVE and i don't NEED 1080p lol
Feb 2, 2016 7:01 AM

Jan 2016
I'm jealous at you people who can buy their anime... lol

As of now, I "illegally" stream because there are no anime stores near me and if I order in the internet, the Customs in my country is untrust-able and corrupt as f***.

If I can buy my anime, I will.
Feb 2, 2016 7:04 AM
Jul 2015
I buy some anime. Recently I got Turn A Gundam. I buy Ghibli movies as well, would never torrent them.
Feb 2, 2016 7:09 AM

Dec 2015
I would rather buy merch than dvd's n blu-ray's. Maybe even manga just for the sake of having atleast one lel.
Feb 2, 2016 7:10 AM
May 2009
Depends on The series. and what the medium offers, if nothing offers what I want I don't buy.
Feb 2, 2016 7:29 AM

Nov 2015
No but I might some day..
I'm the kind of person who would buy movies, albums & TV shows once in a while just to show the artists/makers a little bit of respect. Just a personal thing..
Feb 2, 2016 7:34 AM

Aug 2015
I have my favorites on DVD as well as box sets for many of the more popular long running anime but I started with VHS. Then again, I grew up in the sticks so streaming wasn't reality until my university years.

I still like buying DVD copies of movies and other shows as well. You can get some interesting finds when you go bargain bin diving! Though, I've seen nothing like that since moving to the EU.
Feb 2, 2016 8:35 AM

Nov 2008
I hate streaming more than any other way to watch something.

So yeah, I buy dvds/blu-rays of my favorites. My lesser favorites stay fansubs.

Feb 2, 2016 8:40 AM

Jan 2014
I do my best to own copies of shows I really like, unless it's licensed by Aniplex and they try to charge me $40+ for 3 episodes.
Really interesting signature
Feb 3, 2016 7:09 AM

Jan 2010
It is very interesting to see how Aniplex has made people feel about the anime market. I collected Dragon Ball Z (as it was released) on VHS back in my high school days. I started back up with Death Note and have continued on. Each year I purchase a few anime (wish I could do more). I have always liked having a physical copy and enjoy watching the trailers for other anime. Where I live we have no local access to anime all my purchases have to be made online.

Feb 3, 2016 7:11 AM

May 2015
I buy some manga, but I've cut down on it thanks to scanlations. I'd rather use my money for figures.
Feb 3, 2016 7:12 AM

Jan 2010
romagia said:
dvd and blu ray was never the standard way to watch tv shows..

in pre-modern day most people watched anime just on tv..

if you look for recomended purchases.. when in belgium i saw an ergo proxy box set, which if i were a rich belgian resident with "gotta support the industry" mentality i would have totally bought

but the idea of recomended purchase sounds weird 0o

1. Not anime that is on DVD was shown on television especially not in America where I am from.
2. I run into the same issue where I live no where to get it and if you find something it is overpriced.
3. Just because someone recommends something doesn't mean I have to go out and purchase it. It would be nice to get something that people like and I can discuss with them as I view.

Feb 3, 2016 7:16 AM

Jan 2010
Holybaptiser said:
Hulu and Crunchyroll are not my cup of tea, since I am not willing to support the shows that I do not like and that is the majority of anime that air per season.

You have an interesting way of looking at it. I never though of myself supporting anime I didn't watch or like but I guess you are correct in that way of thinking. I will continue to support the industry any way I can. I hope we can have quality anime for years to come.

Feb 3, 2016 7:21 AM

Jan 2010
Holybaptiser said:
Have a fairly large collection of anime and an even larger collection of manga that is starting to get to the point to warrant an entire bookshelf dedicated to it.

CatSoul said:
Yeah, I do when anime DVDs are cheap and I have money. Really wish I would of jumped on series I thought about for a long time like Darker Than Black and Baccano before Aniplex screwed over FUNi.

I buy manga pretty much every time I have money, which is only a couple times a year (can't wait to be hiring age here) so my collection isn't as large as I want it to be. It's growing though.

Mamster-P said:
lol yea i currently have like 25+ series and have a few more coming in the mail

i only buy the cheap DVDs though as BD are FUCKING EXPENSIVE and i don't NEED 1080p lol

Marnie said:
I buy some anime. Recently I got Turn A Gundam. I buy Ghibli movies as well, would never torrent them.

k813zra said:
I have my favorites on DVD as well as box sets for many of the more popular long running anime but I started with VHS. Then again, I grew up in the sticks so streaming wasn't reality until my university years.

I still like buying DVD copies of movies and other shows as well. You can get some interesting finds when you go bargain bin diving! Though, I've seen nothing like that since moving to the EU.

FunkyNano said:
I try to buy physical copies of anything I enjoy to support the creators

Chiibi said:
I hate streaming more than any other way to watch something.

So yeah, I buy dvds/blu-rays of my favorites. My lesser favorites stay fansubs.

Dag4444 said:
I do my best to own copies of shows I really like, unless it's licensed by Aniplex and they try to charge me $40+ for 3 episodes.

KaoruMatsuoka said:
I buy some manga, but I've cut down on it thanks to scanlations. I'd rather use my money for figures.

Very nice to see that I am not the only collector out here. Anyone care to share some of the best and favorite anime from your collections?

Feb 3, 2016 7:28 AM
Jul 2015
I bought the Mushishi blu-ray and the Yoshitoshi Abe box 2 months ago, that's all.
hi
Feb 3, 2016 7:29 AM

Jun 2012
logic340 said:
Holybaptiser said:

You have an interesting way of looking at it. I never though of myself supporting anime I didn't watch or like but I guess you are correct in that way of thinking. I will continue to support the industry any way I can. I hope we can have quality anime for years to come.
It's not that I am particularly against the anime that is being made per season, but my problem is that these are simply not anime that I would personally support. I can enjoy a show (rated 5-6) but I would not go out and buy a copy of them. I have this weird taste that can sway ever so easily by the simplest things and if I ever really like a show, I think that as a tribute to the creators, I should support them by buying a copy. These don't have to be particularly outstanding anime, since I enjoy more simplistic slice of life series that focus more on the aspect of everyday life than what you normally get in these kind of anime - an example would be Wandering Son.

I guess what I am trying to say is that even if I say I enjoyed a series, it does not necessarily mean that I thought it was good, as contradictory as that may seem at first glance. A show can be entertaining but it does not have to be good? Yeah, I'll go with that explanation. So, by not buying into those streaming sites, which support everything they put on their site, I am not using my money to support the industry when they create series that I think should not be replicated over and over again in the most banal way possible, since that is what you usually get in anime these day.

And I have come to the point where quality anime is not my main concern, since I read far more manga and that medium as a whole has far more of a selection for me to choose from and potentially find a prospective series that is better than most anime being made. After over a decade of anime viewing, I have become a bit jaded about the whole "quality anime being made" and just enjoy whatever I get and hope for the off chance of a series pleasantly surprising me.

Feb 3, 2016 7:33 AM

Nov 2012
logic340 said:
In this modern day many people stream anime off the internet. I watch using Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Netflix but I also have a fairly decent anime collection at home. So I was curious to see who else still purchases anime on DVD or Blu-Ray like I do?

my current anime collection:
Baccano!, Basilisk, Black Lagoon, Choas:Head, Code Geass, D. Gray-man, Darker than Black, Death Note, Dragon Ball (Vegeta Saga), Elfen Lied, Final Fantasy VII, Fullmetal Alchemist (OVA and Movie), Gantz, Gunslinger Girl, Inuyash (season 1), Nabari, no Ou, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noir, One Piece (all collections), Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom, Psycho-Pass (season 1 part 1), Romeo x Juliet, Samurai Seven, Shiki, Solty Rei, Trinity Blood, Tsubasa, Wolf Children, xxxHolic, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (Season 2, part of 4, & all of 5 ), Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (all available), and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Also I am looking for recommended purchases for great anime on DVD. Movies and TV series alike.

Yea I still buy stuff. Heres my collection from the pictures i took a while back. I have more at this point. http://myanimelist.net/blog/Tomoki_Sakurai
Feb 3, 2016 8:07 AM

Jan 2010
Holybaptiser said:
logic340 said:

It's not that I am particularly against the anime that is being made per season, but my problem is that these are simply not anime that I would personally support. I can enjoy a show (rated 5-6) but I would not go out and buy a copy of them. I have this weird taste that can sway ever so easily by the simplest things and if I ever really like a show, I think that as a tribute to the creators, I should support them by buying a copy. These don't have to be particularly outstanding anime, since I enjoy more simplistic slice of life series that focus more on the aspect of everyday life than what you normally get in these kind of anime - an example would be Wandering Son.

I guess what I am trying to say is that even if I say I enjoyed a series, it does not necessarily mean that I thought it was good, as contradictory as that may seem at first glance. A show can be entertaining but it does not have to be good? Yeah, I'll go with that explanation. So, by not buying into those streaming sites, which support everything they put on their site, I am not using my money to support the industry when they create series that I think should not be replicated over and over again in the most banal way possible, since that is what you usually get in anime these day.

And I have come to the point where quality anime is not my main concern, since I read far more manga and that medium as a whole has far more of a selection for me to choose from and potentially find a prospective series that is better than most anime being made. After over a decade of anime viewing, I have become a bit jaded about the whole "quality anime being made" and just enjoy whatever I get and hope for the off chance of a series pleasantly surprising me.

I can definitely understand where you are coming from just never looked at it that way. I don't mind supporting the industry as a whole so long as they continue to meet my needs as a consumer. I have weird taste that can sway easily as well. There are some highly rated series that I have not been able to finish and then there are shows that grow on me if I can stand to view them a second time around. That's the beautiful thing about being human we grow and out taste change without us even realizing it sometimes.

"I guess what I am trying to say is that even if I say I enjoyed a series, it does not necessarily mean that I thought it was good" this is a great way of explaining it I feel the same way just because I enjoy it doesn't mean it is the best thing ever and vise versa.

I am also at the point where I read more manga and get more satisfaction out of it. Though I did join the anime challenge 2016 so I have been doing more watching than reading lately.

Feb 3, 2016 10:34 AM

Nov 2008
logic340 said:
Anyone care to share some of the best and favorite anime from your collections?

Sure. I'm so hardcore for my favorite series, Full Moon Wo Sagashite that when Viz stopped releasing the DVDs (WHICH ARE CRAP QUALITY) I went to Yahoo Auctions Japan and bought the remaining Region 2 volumes (which was HALF the series). It's not subbed or anything but this is okay; I still have the show fansubbed and burned on two DVDs, and I have a high quality version raw stored on my HD for making AMVs and other graphics with. XD

If only it was released on Blu-ray...but it's too old. *weep* ;_;

Listing my DVD collection would take way too freaking long. So I'll just list my blu-rays:

Sword Art Online Aincrad (both special editons God help me XD)
Tari Tari (I haven't even watched this yet lol)
Kami-sama No Inai Nichiyoubi
Nisekoi season 1
Shakugan No Shana seasons 1 and 2
Zero No Tsukaima seasons 1 and 2
Kore wa Zombie Desuka seasons 1 and 2
Noragami season 1
Hidan No Aria

The funny thing is, I SWORE I'd never ever convert to blu-ray and then a friend showed me the difference in screenshots between blu-ray and dvd and I was "OH F*CK NO." and now there is no going back. XD

Feb 3, 2016 10:52 AM

Jan 2014
logic340 said:

Dag4444 said:

Very nice to see that I am not the only collector out here. Anyone care to share some of the best and favorite anime from your collections?

Steins;Gate, Serial Experiments Lain, Kanon (2006), Ergo Proxy, and Selector Infected WIXOSS to name a few. I also have a copy of the original Ghost in the Shell that's old enough that it comes with instructions on how to navigate a DVD menu screen.
Really interesting signature
Feb 3, 2016 11:05 AM

Oct 2014
I usually don't buy DVD's/Blu-rays but I thought about buying some. Just collecting a few Manga.
Feb 3, 2016 11:09 AM

Jan 2010
Chiibi said:
logic340 said:
Anyone care to share some of the best and favorite anime from your collections?

Sure. I'm so hardcore for my favorite series, Full Moon Wo Sagashite that when Viz stopped releasing the DVDs (WHICH ARE CRAP QUALITY) I went to Yahoo Auctions Japan and bought the remaining Region 2 volumes (which was HALF the series). It's not subbed or anything but this is okay; I still have the show fansubbed and burned on two DVDs, and I have a high quality version raw stored on my HD for making AMVs and other graphics with. XD

Listing my DVD collection would take way too freaking long. So I'll just list my blu-rays:

Nisekoi season 1
Noragami season 1
Hidan No Aria

The funny thing is, I SWORE I'd never ever convert to blu-ray and then a friend showed me the difference in screenshots between blu-ray and dvd and I was "OH F*CK NO." and now there is no going back. XD

I was hesitant to move to blu-ray as well but some have only been available in combo packs so I have added a few to my collection recently. I'll check out Full Moon Wo Sagashite I am doing the anime challenge so I am sure I can find a place to fit it in.

Feb 3, 2016 11:10 AM

Jan 2010
Dag4444 said:
logic340 said:

Steins;Gate, Serial Experiments Lain, Kanon (2006), Ergo Proxy, and Selector Infected WIXOSS to name a few. I also have a copy of the original Ghost in the Shell that's old enough that it comes with instructions on how to navigate a DVD menu screen.

Steins Gate is going to be part of this purchase. I had put up a Straw Poll of which anime I should buy next and Steins Gate won but sadly it was sold out when I went to make my purchase. It's back now and I am getting ready to make my move.

Feb 3, 2016 11:13 AM

Nov 2008
logic340 said:

I was hesitant to move to blu-ray as well but some have only been available in combo packs so I have added a few to my collection recently. I'll check out Full Moon Wo Sagashite I am doing the anime challenge so I am sure I can find a place to fit it in.

It's shoujo and it will look childish and cutesy to you....but if you liked Romeo & Juliet (which I do as well), you might like it. XD

It has heavy themes and GREAT characters.

Feb 3, 2016 11:15 AM

Oct 2014
Of all the special snowflakes in the world you're the special snowflakiest.

I personally don't buy my anime because I like watching anime on my laptop which does not have a DVD drive. I occasionally watch anime on Netflix which is legal. I have bought some figures and a couple volumes of manga, one of which is not available to read online.
Feb 3, 2016 11:17 AM

Jun 2013
I would buy my favourite series but my money situation says nope. Maybe in the future.
Feb 3, 2016 11:18 AM

Oct 2014
logic340 said:
Chiibi said:

Nisekoi season 1
Noragami season 1
Hidan No Aria

I'm using it for an anime with a demographic that doesn't fit me (it's shoujo and I'm seinen).
Feb 3, 2016 11:24 AM

Aug 2014
Absolutely I almost feel it should be mandatory for any anime fan that if their favourite series is available then they should buy it on DVD or even VHS because its respectful to the studios and you are helping fund the business we all love.

Feb 3, 2016 11:41 AM

Jul 2014
of course people still buy DVDs and Blu-Rays, it isnt some old idea like VHS's tapes, where have you been? its a pretty normal thing
Feb 3, 2016 11:57 AM

Apr 2010
Maybe if it was easier to get them. I have to buy it from aboard and the post isn't very dependable here...

Feb 3, 2016 11:59 AM

May 2014
Redline is like 10 bucks on Amazon.

Considering the amount of money spent on that movie it's practically theft.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Feb 3, 2016 12:11 PM

Oct 2014
Here's a great video about someone complaining about their Blu-ray purchase.
Feb 3, 2016 7:52 PM

Jun 2015
I don't currently but I plan to once I'm out of college and get a decent job
Feb 3, 2016 7:58 PM

Nov 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
worse than this is Fullmetal Alchemist OVA on BLURAY in DVDBOX which LOOKS RETARDED WHEN STAY NEXT TO PART1 PART2 AND A MOVIE.

Feb 3, 2016 8:31 PM

Sep 2015
No i watch on the internet, i only have one anime in physical and that's Akira.
I am keen to get a few of my favorites like Ghost in the Shell.
Feb 3, 2016 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
I download anime, never stream it. I also have few Blu-rays,
one of them is limited edition, it's very nice I'm glad I have it.
Feb 4, 2016 9:21 AM

Feb 2011
I do... to show support for that anime and if the manga is still on going then I will buy with the hopes that if the sales went up maybe there will make new season.
Feb 4, 2016 9:26 AM

Jun 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
yt]dok58zTnrfw[/yt]
Man, I couldn't help but laugh instead of shaking my head. He definitely has a good point about it being like Sophie's Choice.

Feb 4, 2016 9:54 AM

Jan 2010
chokingasuka said:
of course people still buy DVDs and Blu-Rays, it isnt some old idea like VHS's tapes, where have you been? its a pretty normal thing

I am a collector of anime so no I never thought it was some revolutionary idea to go out and purchase it. It's not that I don't think it is normal but most of the people I interact with through the internet and in real life mostly stream illegally or torrent. I was curious to see who else was a collector and what some of their favorites were. I am trying to expand and bolster my collection (through recommendations) at the same time while making good conversation.

Feb 4, 2016 9:58 AM

Jan 2010
zombie_pegasus said:

I can definitely relate to his OCD. I am the same way and this is another reason I was hesitant to go with Blu-ray. He should have bought the DVD version...LMAO. "Buying anime should be a joyous experience not a stressful one." I love it thank you for sharing, I needed that!!! :)

Feb 4, 2016 10:39 AM

Nov 2008
I still have a couple boxes of old VHS tapes of OVAs and the like in my garage.

.......I just can't bear to get rid of them. Nostalgia's such a curse. lol

Feb 4, 2016 1:01 PM

Aug 2008
I'd only buy anime if I really, really loved it and could see myself rewatching it a lot.
Feb 15, 2016 11:28 AM

Jan 2010
Tettsui said:
I'd only buy anime if I really, really loved it and could see myself rewatching it a lot.

While not everything in my collection is worthy of a re-watch I feel that is something very important I look for when shopping for anime. Recently I picked up Steins;Gate (this definitely has re-watch-ability), Grave of the Fireflies and Tsubasa Chronicle OVA's.

Feb 15, 2016 11:30 AM
Jul 2018
zombie_pegasus said:

Holy shit, that's like the definition of a first world problem.
Feb 15, 2016 11:35 AM
Apr 2015
I am building an anime collection, too :) Sometimes I buy anime before I even watch them if I can get them for a good price (sometimes used). I don't stream Funimation or anything because my internet stinks at home =P And I re-watch like mad, too. I enjoy re-watching more than watching, actually.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime?

Dragevard - 8 hours ago

34 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» What are the modern beginner-friendly Anime for each genre?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

11 by Otakupervert890 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top Favorited Anime

LittleStar - Yesterday

32 by mshfqtny »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime

LittleStar - Yesterday

22 by mshfqtny »»
13 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - May 3

42 by MeguSae38 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.