Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2016 6:36 AM

Apr 2015
I read "The Gamer" and "hero waltz" and they are really good. Can korea adapt these Manhwas into anime? I mean it would make sense they would have the budget for these, the manhwas are colored which just shows how much effort, and money they put into these.
Jan 13, 2016 7:24 AM

Jul 2014
Both of those are webtoons or web comics (whichever you prefer to call them) which is why they are full color. Also explains why they aren't in the database here on MAL. As for them getting an anime adaptation, it won't happen.
Jan 22, 2016 7:02 PM

Sep 2013
Korean's probably don't give two shits about anime/manwha's.
Jan 24, 2016 12:04 AM
Jan 2015
Anime, nope, Movie / Drama maybe.
Some popular webtoon got adaptations. There are some pretty good webtoons recently. (eg. Gamer, Bastard, Lookism)
Jan 24, 2016 5:51 AM

Dec 2014
Is there no case that japanese company go and make them to anime with regard of the manhwa popularity?

I believe it would earn a lot seeing how these days even a rubbish japanese manga able to get adapt to anime.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Jan 24, 2016 7:34 AM

Jan 2010
They only do movie/drama adaptions in Korea. No anime, because the country is to small to make a profit with Korean anime. The cost price is to high for a small country.
Jan 25, 2016 6:37 PM

Dec 2015
the gamer and tower of god are both great, but never heard them being adapted to film
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 25, 2016 8:18 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
It isn't impossible. Noblesse got an OVA.

I think there is a chance as WebToons do better there might be more of chance a few years down the line to see more animated adaptions but there is no guarantee.
Jan 27, 2016 4:40 PM

Jan 2016
There is no doubt in mind that if some webtoons, like Tower of God or Dice, would make incredibly popular animes.

But it will never happen. First, although Korea has historically done lots of animation, it has always been things like Flintstones, Transformers, Simpsons, Family Guy, and recently, CGI. Korean animation companies lack the interest and experience to do a great-looking anime that these deserve because it will need some serious initial investment from an outside source.

Second, there is a strong cultural bias in Japan for tradition (still using fax machines) and against change (recently, Korea). So webtoons probably won't become popular in Japan. Although IMHO, it's a superior format and delivery system for the current era; Official copies online, fan translations supported, full color, better release schedule, forums, phone apps, ect. Usually, animes get made if they already have a fanbase. Also, considering all the boo-ha over k-pop and k-dramas I doubt Japanese animation companies want to start messing with manhwas. I don't hope for animes of manwhas anywhere near the future.

I do hope that the webtoon format becomes more popular outside of Korea. There are lots of amazing cartoonists/artists around that world that lack the publishers that the Japanese market has. Since they will never get a foot in Japan, I hope they get a chance to become popular through webtoon format. Physical media is going away but comics have a strong tradition in America as well. I just started reading "Space Boy" which won the Challenger League on webtoons and was written by an American artist. The art style, characters, and ideas in it were so refreshing and modern compared to most mangas/manhwas. Yet, maintains the addicting format and feeling of development.

Webtoons need to become way bigger before they will turn into japanese-style animes.
aCommunistSpyJan 27, 2016 5:40 PM
Jan 27, 2016 6:59 PM

Jan 2016
Elder_God_Noden said:

"Welsh (2007) states that "comics accounts for about 25 percent of all book sales in South Korea, while more than 3 million Korean users access paid online manhwa and 10 million read free webcomics."" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webtoon
Jan 29, 2016 7:23 PM

Dec 2015
Something already getting published in paper format such as Noblesse might have a slight chance but it won't happen for series like Tower of God sadly...
May 31, 2016 3:04 PM

Feb 2015
Elder_God_Noden said:

i guess it became a billion dollar business by fake won. and those 1 out of 3 koreans who read them are actually robots.

KingRequiem said:
Something already getting published in paper format such as Noblesse might have a slight chance but it won't happen for series like Tower of God sadly...

that could have been the case just 1 or 2yrs ago, let alone years before. but this year marks something different. daum and line have both said they are working hard as they can to break the national wall and are now marketing overseas. i would have probably agreed with you a few months ago if i hadn't read or watched interviews. it's very safe to expect more webtoon to be seen even after noblesse, and even more safe to expect more marketing in future years.

what the leaders of daum and line webtoon did is, my guess, build up enough stability of a strong industry before rushing to go overseas. webtoon has huge potential even before line or daum came out but i guess even then they didn't want to rush things. now that ten years have gone by and more than enough money has been profited, this time is perfect. especially with the fans complaining of cliched manga and anime nowadays, it's an almost too perfect setup. webtoon authors are very different storytellers from the manga group, ask anyone who has read even one, 9/10 they'll tell you that.

the "wave of Korea" may come sooner than some may think.
TomDayMay 31, 2016 3:12 PM
May 31, 2016 7:38 PM

Dec 2015
@TomDay

Well I sure hope that's true, there are very talented webtoons artists out here and it would be a shame were we to miss out on such potential adaptations. The biggest problem is that anime already being a niche thing except for the main TV schedule and Japan's xenophobia in general kind of prevent that. Take into account that most anime serve to advertise japanese mangas to give a boost to the industry and don't make THAT much profit, very few would be prone to invest in a foreign work. Getting published printed editions for most major webtoons would be a good start.

But then again Noblesse got an OVA so there might just be some kind of possibility. Best option would probably be a Korean company investing in the project and hiring a japanese studio for the animation while focusing on the Korean demographic (using korean cast) similarly to Avatar the Last Airbender in America to test the waters. Hell I'd be willing to lend a hand to the project on Kickstarter.

Edit: And comparing some Koreans to robots is actually not much of a stretch lol, these guys are machines on computer stuff.
Jun 1, 2016 8:52 PM

Feb 2015
KingRequiem said:

Take into account that most anime serve to advertise japanese mangas to give a boost to the industry and don't make THAT much profit, very few would be prone to invest in a foreign work.

that's what noblesse, did though. it was a marketing technique. quite literally as well, lol. as soon after rai smiles it tells you to read the webtoon.

Getting published printed editions for most major webtoons would be a good start.

those have already happened. it's just overseas that is the problem. america is horribly slow and barely even has updated manga, so webtoons are completely out of the question. but it got published in japan a year ago and the most recent book got shipped 3 weeks ago.

(http://www.futabasha.co.jp/booksdb/book/bookview/978-4-575-84785-7.html)

But then again Noblesse got an OVA so there might just be some kind of possibility. Best option would probably be a Korean company investing in the project and hiring a japanese studio for the animation while focusing on the Korean demographic (using korean cast) similarly to Avatar the Last Airbender in America to test the waters. Hell I'd be willing to lend a hand to the project on Kickstarter.

that's actually not true. korea knows its way around animation.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Atz2CwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&hl=en&output=reader&pg=GBS.PT73

but yeah i'd be will to do anything to help the international manhwa and webtoon introduction.

Edit: And comparing some Koreans to robots is actually not much of a stretch lol, these guys are machines on computer stuff.

haha you're telling me, but the leader of line says he keeps all his authors in check.
Jun 1, 2016 10:13 PM

Apr 2016
TomDay said:
KingRequiem said:

Take into account that most anime serve to advertise japanese mangas to give a boost to the industry and don't make THAT much profit, very few would be prone to invest in a foreign work.

that's what noblesse, did though. it was a marketing technique. quite literally as well, lol. as soon after rai smiles it tells you to read the webtoon.

Getting published printed editions for most major webtoons would be a good start.

those have already happened. it's just overseas that is the problem. america is horribly slow and barely even has updated manga, so webtoons are completely out of the question. but it got published in japan a year ago and the most recent book got shipped 3 weeks ago.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Atz2CwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&hl=en&output=reader&pg=GBS.PT73

but yeah i'd be will to do anything to help the international manhwa and webtoon introduction.

haha you're telling me, but the leader of line says he keeps all his authors in check.

Manhwa is already colored so why is there a need to make an anime out of it?

manga on the other hand i see it as some other piece of work ,it's black and white.to make an anime there are posters of character in color for the anime producers to what their color of hair, eyes, and skin.
Jun 1, 2016 11:00 PM

Nov 2014
Do we really need that? Just look at Noblesse, both adaptations are rubbish.

Jun 1, 2016 11:42 PM

Aug 2013
They'd make noblesse into anime adaption but some of the scene are been cut.
I guess some people are right, webtoon company only aim for drama version like this article
"There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever
enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker,
or smarter. Everything is within.
Everything is exists.
Seek nothing outside of yourself
" - Musashi
miyamoto
Jun 2, 2016 4:27 AM

Mar 2015
Kind of disappointing that manwha/webtoons won't be adapted properly like Japanese manga. But the popularity of manwha/webtoons in Japan likely pales in comparison to manga or Light novels. Which means that Japanese companies would prefer to animate even some crappy harem over it because it guarantees sales which translates into profit. Korean companies have no interest in creating anime so RIP.
Jun 3, 2016 1:31 AM

Apr 2016
Rxargyros said:
I guess some people are right, webtoon company only aim for drama version like this article

Yosh i read the arcticle u gave me last night. I hope they make more webtoon animation and working together with japanese people.
u'll never understood how the feel to be me. When the boundaries limit me to express or share my feeling. When u want to explain the truth but
you are not allowed to. When u need someone to
talk but u can't say anything
Jun 3, 2016 3:47 AM

Aug 2013
Ryuchi_san said:
Rxargyros said:

Yosh i read the arcticle u gave me last night. I hope they make more webtoon animation and working together with japanese people.

Hope so too they make a good animation someday.
Everything is exists.
" - Musashi
miyamoto
Jun 3, 2016 7:13 AM

Dec 2014
If it's bad I'd rather not at all. It's like ruining a good manhwa really.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Jun 3, 2016 7:53 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
LifeAlpha said:

Eh, then just ignore it. I've certainly had that happen with anime adaptions of manga (The Nana to Kaoru anime springs to mind). Disappointing? Sure. End of the world? No. I just don't let it ruin it for me.
Jun 3, 2016 8:20 AM
Sep 2013
It will take another 5-10 years to Japanese readers grow fond of Webtoon.
Jun 3, 2016 8:21 AM

Dec 2014
Brand said:
LifeAlpha said:

Eh, then just ignore it. I've certainly had that happen with anime adaptions of manga (The Nana to Kaoru anime springs to mind). Disappointing? Sure. End of the world? No. I just don't let it ruin it for me.
Fair point. The thing is, you'd expected well-adapted adaptation right. And if it's badly-adapted, most likely won't be re-adapted. So yeah BOOM goes your chance to get good adaptation of your favorite manhwa.
But actually maybe this only matters for those who expecting adaptation lol.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Jun 3, 2016 8:03 PM

Feb 2015
Carboncolor said:
TomDay said:

manga on the other hand i see it as some other piece of work ,it's black and white.to make an anime there are posters of character in color for the anime producers to what their color of hair, eyes, and skin.

.....that has to be the most foolish thing i have ever read.
Jun 3, 2016 8:42 PM

Feb 2015
ExTamplier said:

there is only one adaptation.

LordoftheHorizon said:
Kind of disappointing that manwha/webtoons won't be adapted properly like Japanese manga. But the popularity of manwha/webtoons in Japan likely pales in comparison to manga or Light novels. Which means that Japanese companies would prefer to animate even some crappy harem over it because it guarantees sales which translates into profit. Korean companies have no interest in creating anime so RIP.

just because companies in korea don't have interest in making anime doesn't mean they have no interest in making money. anime - whether it be bad or not in anyone's opinion - gives off a lot of money. webtoon has already proven to be worth billions of dollars, so why not make more of it in animation? the clue that korean companies didn't care was that the marketing adaption was done by IG. they don't need to animate to make money.

LifeAlpha said:
Brand said:

Fair point. The thing is, you'd expected well-adapted adaptation right. And if it's badly-adapted, most likely won't be re-adapted. So yeah BOOM goes your chance to get good adaptation of your favorite manhwa.

i know what you mean but there have only been as many webtoon/manhwa adaptations as the fingers in your hand, maybe even less. in my opinion the noragami anime went to pot in S2, but it's still popular. and the universal stench of kuroshitsuji's second season didn't stop a S3 and upcoming movie. the horror of guilty crown didn't make it any less popular and the trash-worthy naruto anime (AND manga) didn't slow sales.

thinking of them now, compared to those adaptations a rushed 30 minute OVA doesn't sound bad at all.
TomDayJun 3, 2016 8:45 PM
Jun 3, 2016 9:22 PM

Nov 2014
TomDay said:
ExTamplier said:

there is only one adaptation.

LordoftheHorizon said:

just because companies in korea don't have interest in making anime doesn't mean they have no interest in making money. anime - whether it be bad or not in anyone's opinion - gives off a lot of money. webtoon has already proven to be worth billions of dollars, so why not make more of it in animation? the clue that korean companies didn't care was that the marketing adaption was done by IG. they don't need to animate to make money.

LifeAlpha said:

i know what you mean but there have only been as many webtoon/manhwa adaptations as the fingers in your hand, maybe even less. in my opinion the noragami anime went to pot in S2, but it's still popular. and the universal stench of kuroshitsuji's second season didn't stop a S3 and upcoming movie. the horror of guilty crown didn't make it any less popular and the trash-worthy naruto anime (AND manga) didn't slow sales.

thinking of them now, compared to those adaptations a rushed 30 minute OVA doesn't sound bad at all.
2, look it up.
One for manha, another about werewolf.

Jun 3, 2016 9:46 PM

May 2016
Manhwa has alot of great stories and indeed the colour is just good
I waa shocked when i knew that ReLife by manhwa will be release in anime xD its kinda exiting xD
Jun 3, 2016 9:49 PM

Feb 2015
what the problem is here is not animation of any country, and i can't stress this enough. it is marketing into other countries that needs to be done. naver and daum have already said this is the year (and future years, i'm safety assuming) they are working for this to happen. if you haven't noticed there's proof to back up my comment; the promotion of webtoon is being done right now in this very site, by lenzin comics.

a few weeks to a month after the noblesse OVA was released, rai started getting featured in fan-articles (even if it was just fangirl fluff...). this is good, this is exactly what line and daum want to happen for many more articles and such to come.

please understand that it's less about how good the show could/would be, and more about gaining an international audience for webtoon, and by VIA ANIME - a franchise that has an unspeakably huge audience - that can happen.

think the show is bad? somone could tell you "Go read the webtoon, it's much better." there, a view gained.
think the show is great? even better, continue your love by reading the series.

it's not like noblesse is a bad series. just go look at people's reviews on it - it'll be extremely hard to see any bashings on. it. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13556014-noblesse
^just look at one page of that site. there are literally no bad reviews on it. it just needs more attention.

it's only been 3 months since the OVA, so it's still pretty soon to declare the nonexistence of a S1 adaptation - keep in mind that there is still marketing that needs to be done. for any news of a noblesse anime at all - continued or not - i expect to be announced by the upcoming winter, the fall at least.

but it's just too much of a shounen shoe-in, i must admit i cannot see an anime adaptation not ever happening.

webtoon is too much of a sack of potential to just be sitting around as a national superpower. daum and line understand this and are trying to change this as soon as possible.

(i apologize for the constant posting, just something i felt i had to get it out there.)
TomDayJun 9, 2016 9:19 PM
Jun 4, 2016 4:22 PM

Feb 2015
ExTamplier said:
2, look it up.

i don't need to "look it up".

there are two OVAS, but only one (awakening) is an adaptation. the other is a canon addition to the webtoon that has 100% new content.
Jun 4, 2016 5:48 PM

Nov 2014
TomDay said:
ExTamplier said:
2, look it up.

there are two OVAS, but only one (awakening) is an adaptation. the other is a canon addition to the webtoon that has 100% new content.
Your 100% new content shares characters and the universe with a comix, so much for 100 percent new content. Look up what original means.
ExTemplarJun 4, 2016 5:52 PM

Jun 4, 2016 6:34 PM

Feb 2015
ExTamplier said:
TomDay said:

Your 100% new content shares characters and the universe with a comix, so much for 100 percent new content. Look up what original means.

the only fight for rai vs muzaka in the webtoon is after he wakes up in the casket.

it's not an adaptation. end of story.
TomDayJun 4, 2016 7:19 PM
Jun 5, 2016 8:32 AM

Apr 2016
TomDay said:
Carboncolor said:

.....that has to be the most foolish thing i have ever read.

I do regret reading that once more but some times... I have fun posting shit comments,sometimes.
Jun 5, 2016 11:53 AM

Jun 2015
For a manhwa/webtoon to become an anime, it first needs to be published on book. All webmangas that get an anime go through this process as well.

This is because nowadays, anime is usually made to promote the original source material. But if there is no back up money to fund the anime project (eg manga sales) , then there will not be an anime. And if an anime were to promote a free item (eg free webtoons/webmanga), that would completely be of the point.

So cross your fingers for all those webtoons that already have books in print since they're the ones with the highest chance of becoming an anime.
Jun 5, 2016 12:15 PM

Apr 2016
Rxargyros said:
Ryuchi_san said:

Yosh, i've seen many sign that korean people did work with japanese company sort like anime :o
u'll never understood how the feel to be me. When the boundaries limit me to express or share my feeling. When u want to explain the truth but
you are not allowed to. When u need someone to
talk but u can't say anything
Jun 6, 2016 7:15 AM

Apr 2013
ExTamplier said:

To be fair, Noblesse is fucking trash.

OT: The day Manhwa get anime adaptions from big name Japanese studios is the day that the specific studio dies.

You know how many people are going to cry and whine about a Korean source material anime adaption in Japan? People will burn that studio to the fucking ground.
Jun 6, 2016 9:39 AM

Aug 2013
Ryuchi_san said:
Rxargyros said:

Yosh, i've seen many sign that korean people did work with japanese company sort like anime :o

Yeah, expecially the end of credits.
Everything is exists.
" - Musashi
miyamoto
Jun 6, 2016 11:11 AM

Feb 2015
ExTamplier said:
i don't need your opinion on your opinion about adaptation.

dude, unless you are trolling , stop. you already said you don't care what i say so just stop tiring yourself. this isn't even about nitpicking a webtoon. it's a discussion about all webtoon and the future of their adaptions.
Jun 9, 2016 9:51 PM

Feb 2015
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/americas-next-move-asia-japan-south-korea-alliance-15301

ayyy korea and japan making up. this is the first step to having webtoon adapted, it's just a matter of time!

Jun 12, 2016 3:35 PM
Jan 2016
hoopla123 said:
ExTamplier said:

OT: The day Manhwa get anime adaptions from big name Japanese studios is the day that the specific studio dies.

You know how many people are going to cry and whine about a Korean source material anime adaption in Japan? People will burn that studio to the fucking ground.

That means Production I.G should be dead rn. But it's not.
Jul 2, 2016 9:33 PM

Feb 2015
Laugasts said:
hoopla123 said:

That means Production I.G should be dead rn. But it's not.

yeah, so confirmed troll. move along now, nothing to see here.
Mar 18, 2018 11:42 AM
Mar 2018
Hi guys. I'm an animator. Actually I'm trying to work on an animated Manhwa. "Girls of the Wild's" if you know that webcomic. I actually sent my sample piece to the author on facebook but he hasn't seen my work. I hope he can see it. I just had the idea of animating the panels. It's the same panels but I animated every panels while you are reading it. I literally make them move from the original drawing then making an action like noding their head or even get shocked. Its not like a flash animation but more of an Anime on TV but just in a panel. I hope you can get what I'm saying here. I just want him to see it.I hope he gets to see it soon. My name on facebook is Eduardo De Guzman Dacuycuy. An animator at TOEI Philippines.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

379 by LyLord »»
57 minutes ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
1 hour ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Today, 1:00 AM

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
Yesterday, 11:27 PM

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.