Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2016 2:52 AM

Jul 2015
In 2015 I have watched quite a bit anime, but noone other has left me as disturbed as "Jigoku Shoujo". I have been looking for discussions on the internet and to my surprise some people actually felt sorry for her, which I did not.

It is true, that most of the characters in the series are so dumb and do not value their souls at all, but she deceived so many people (especially in season 3), so I cannot consider her anything else than a villain.

What do you think?

Jan 6, 2016 3:16 AM

May 2010
I've only watched the first season. I found the individual episodes' characters too frustratingly dumb to watch two more seasons of the same thing.
Based on just that, I can't call her a villain, though she won't fit the description of a protagonist either. If you factor in the last arc of the first season, you could call her a neutral character with antagonistic tendencies, I guess.
Jan 6, 2016 3:31 AM
May 2009
Jan 6, 2016 3:51 AM

Mar 2015
Good and evil is relative OP, gotta be more specific. But she's neither a hero nor a villain to me.
Jan 6, 2016 3:56 AM

May 2008
Meh, she's not human to begin with, so it's kind of silly to put these human values on her. She's just doing her job, it's not her fault people are dumb enough to sell their souls to her.

(Granted, I've only seen two episodes, but hey.)
Jan 6, 2016 4:00 AM

May 2013
You just can't judge Jigoku Shoujo. If I remember it right, in season she borrowed some girl body? For someone who is considered an after-life "demon" she kinda cling desperately to "surviving". Sounds pretty much human to me. And human is... well you know my point.
Why do people have to work? I just want to eat and sleep. I should have born as a panda at the zoo.
- Kazuya Hiramaru (Bakuman)
Jan 6, 2016 10:22 AM

Aug 2015
Piromysl said:
In 2015 I have watched quite a bit anime, but noone other has left me as disturbed as "Jigoku Shoujo". I have been looking for discussions on the internet and to my surprise some people actually felt sorry for her, which I did not.

It is true, that most of the characters in the series are so dumb and do not value their souls at all, but she deceived so many people (especially in season 3), so I cannot consider her anything else than a villain.

What do you think?

I think it varies throughout the anime even within one season. During season 1 I would just call her a girl doing her job.

I would call her a hero for what she did at the end of season 2, but maybe thats just me.

In season 3 she deceived people but KIND OF redeemed herself at the end.

I go with tragic hero, or antihero. She's not quite a villain to me. She's definitely not a pure heroine by any stretch, but it's clear she has some moral code despite her job. How much she follows it.......well.......
Jan 6, 2016 10:46 AM

Jul 2015
From.what I've seen she's neither .

She's just there to do business .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 6, 2016 7:50 PM
Mar 2012
Been years since put on hold. Thought she's like a somewhat deceptive tour guide of hell, not really classifiable as a hero/villain. Don't recall much, but repeating animation was more annoying than Sakurako san, and Death Parade did much better on the character/relationship arcs. I'd like to find reasons to restart it, but hell girl's rarely mentioned on mal.
Jan 6, 2016 9:55 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

TsundereHeart said:
I've only seen first season, but from what I've seen I'd say she's neutral.

She's just a tool/business that other people use and I'm pretty sure the rules are clear. Although if she does deceive people in later seasons, that's a different matter.

As bad a it sounds, yeah, her presence is that of a tool or a service. Her powers are used to correct injustices just as much as it can be abused for personal gain. She's neither good nor evil, though the people using her could be one or the other.
Nov 11, 2022 6:56 PM
Dec 2017
anti heroine so in between imo.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.