Forum Settings
Forums

Once popular shows that (almost) nobody watches them anymore

New
Nov 23, 2015 12:58 AM

Jan 2012
Some anime titles just refused to die. I also learn the increase of interest towards Clannad thanks to its VN will come to Steam several days from now(as I write this). Lots of people still watching Cowboy Bebop and Trigun despite already 18 years old. The viewership of Ouran High School Host Club barely changes despite having no news or rumors of its second season, yet. People also still watching something like High School of the Dead for at least 5 years because Hollywood still making zombie apocalypse movies so there always popular movies that influenced people to see it every year. Not to mention people still watching School Days for wrong reasons, at least from my perspective alone. Finally there's my all-time favorite shounen show, Rurouni Kenshin get into the Japanese spotlight again thanks to its big-budget and critically-acclaimed live-action movie adaptations in recent years. I can't say the same for Western audiences though.

However not all high-profiled anime titles got remembered as those I mentioned above. They just simply disappear like a smoke even some of them are highly hyped when they premiered. Some of them just come and go, like flash in the pan. Some are quite understandable to see why they were forgotten today. Yes there still people watching them but they are too few than they did when they first came out. So I decided to make a list of these forgotten shows and why people forget them today, from my perspective alone.

Title: K-On!
Premiered in: 2009

This one is no brainer. I still can remember how people can get hyped to this one several weeks before it was shown and how people turned against it right after it ends. The reason was obvious. While not the first KyoAni's "moeblob" show(Lucky*Star was shown 2 years earlier) but it was the one which responsible of creations of too many other "moeblob" shows from other studios that barely distinguishable from one another. KyoAni also systematically killed it as well as with the launch of Free! in 2013, which used EXACTLY the same conventions of K-On! 4 years earlier and sells well, even more profitable than K-On! to comparison, except Free! clearly marketed completely different group of audiences than K-On!. Even in Japan its popularity is fading as well. K-On! is one of the shows that people actually regretted to see despite it is already dead years ago.

Title: Cardcaptor Sakura
Premiered in: 1998

Maybe it wasn't THAT popular to begin with but it was one of anime that started the West's interest on anime in late 90's along with Cowboy Bebop but today most people only remembered CB and definitely not CCS. Why? Even before it was ended, CCS already have problems on its own. Only first half of the show is memorable but the rest were forgotten. The weak romance(if it can be called as) between Sakura and Syaoran as well as lots of plot holes/discontinuity could contribute for its downfall. While both Sakura and Syaoran later got more memorable roles in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles but almost nobody actually remember the shows which they originated from. If there is an anime that deserves a complete reboot/overhaul, CCS have my vote.

Title: Love Hina
Premiered in: 1999

If K-On! was responsible of moe 'genre flooding' in recent years, Love Hina too can be blamed for similar flooding of harem genre in early 2000's and almost every single of them are too similar to one another except for studios and people working behind them. Even though there was a better male-oriented romance show which also released in this time period like Boys' Be but unattractive character designs and low interest towards romance shows by male audiences pretty much killed it. However Love Hina succeeded because its author already popular in the West and Japan and both of them wants more of the same, only "better" and "different" which contributed to harem 'genre flood' in early to mid 2000's. Today most people would rather forget it than remembering it as "poster boy" of harem genre.

Title: Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Premiered in: 2010

Take Love Hina. Replaced Naru with Keitaro's noisy, bratty little sister who also a closeted otaku but secretly harbors her feelings to her brother. The picture is almost complete. There you have it, a harem show that refuses to be called as "harem". In fact it actually created a brand-new genre, imouto(little sister) show. Like K-On! before it, people actually thrown their disgust towards the show right after it ends, which not happened until 2013 with its second season. It is really sad that Himouto Umaru-chan gets all of this backlash despite actually closer to Lucky*Star than Ore no Imouto.
NK_500Nov 23, 2015 1:06 AM
---
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 23, 2015 1:04 AM

Oct 2013
Um.... Angel beats comes in mind.
Nov 23, 2015 1:04 AM

Jul 2013
Blood+. It was very popular during 2005/2006/2007/2008, but now the anime seems forgotten ;_;
Nov 23, 2015 1:10 AM

Oct 2014
I watched K-On! and OreImo and I'm currently watching Cardcaptor Sakura. The reason why I started watching Cardcaptor Sakura is because there were so many people recommending it to me. I think that's a bit of evidence that it hasn't faded into obscurity.
Nov 23, 2015 1:12 AM

Jan 2011
I still see quite a bit of K-On hubbub though.
Nov 23, 2015 1:15 AM

Jun 2011
iirc Shakugan no Shana was popular. I remember there was much hype before the 3rd season aired. Nowadays its like, dead. xD
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 23, 2015 1:18 AM

Dec 2012
keragamming said:
me too and I'm a key fanboy :/
Nov 23, 2015 1:19 AM

Jan 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
I still see quite a bit of K-On hubbub though.

I know there are still people watching K-On! in these days but I don't think lots of people wants to see it again, even myself. Yes K-On! fandom still alive but no longer have the spotlight in popular anime conventions anymore as scantily-clad boys from Free! are slowly but systematically replaces those girls. I don't I can see Mio cosplayers anymore except in blogs and youtube by some "attention whores" rather than professional ones.
---
Nov 23, 2015 1:22 AM

Oct 2014
In high school there was someone who made fun of me for liking K-On! and said things like "you better stop watching K-On!". I only gave it a 7.
Nov 23, 2015 1:27 AM

Jan 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
In high school there was someone who made fun of me for liking K-On! and said things like "you better stop watching K-On!". I only gave it a 7.

Of course anti-moe army are everywhere and even in MAL forums are full of them. I already trolled by some women who rated Free! as 10 and guys who rated who worships something One Piece for examples.
---
Nov 23, 2015 1:49 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I guess

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 23, 2015 1:50 AM

Jun 2011
RayAdha said:
Well, there was the poorly done spin-off just recently, so maybe after that some people went to watch it again. Other than that yea sadly it went down pretty much.
I'm feeling thank you
Nov 23, 2015 1:52 AM

May 2015
I remember Love Hina being name-dropped a lot 8 years ago. Now it seems to not matter. All the harems that came after stripped it of its uniqueness.

I'm surprised to see Angel Beats so high up in the popularity chart. No one talks about it here.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 23, 2015 1:55 AM

Mar 2012
NK_500 said:

First off, stop.

Second, anyone remember Kotoura-san? That was a thing for about a week.

RayAdha said:
People were pretty excited for Nagato Yuki-chan. Only reason why its popularity didn't take off was because the show wasn't all that good. Same thing happened with Sailor Moon Crystal actually (Although Sailor Moon Crystal was a WAY bigger fuck up).

I mean, why else would Funimation go to the effort of bringing back the English cast if there wasn't hype for the series?
SeibaaHomuNov 23, 2015 2:01 AM
Nov 23, 2015 1:56 AM

Sep 2015
Flame of recca
Fruits basket
Slam dunk and captain tsubasa
Nov 23, 2015 1:59 AM

Feb 2015
K-on.... Brings back memories.... :)
and
RayAdha said:

Oh... i want to watch it again....
My favorite anime ever...
Nov 23, 2015 2:00 AM

Oct 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
NK_500 said:

First off, stop.

Second, anyone remember Kotoura-san? That was a thing for about a week.
It's in my PTW. It looks like a cute show and it sounds pretty interesting.

Talking about things that are popular for a week, it doesn't seem like Glasslip is as popular as it used to be. I used to hear about it all the time and now barely anyone talks about it. Mars of Destruction and Inferno Cop still seem popular. Vampire Holmes is the lowest rated TV anime on MAL and people rarely mention it.
Nov 23, 2015 2:03 AM

Mar 2012
Glasslip has like a 5.5 rating on this site now. That's ridiculously low.

Also I don't recommend watching Kotoura-san. Let's just say the first episode is a bit misleading.
Nov 23, 2015 2:09 AM

Feb 2013
keragamming said:

it overtook Bleach and Naruto in popularity this year so it's still watched a lot
Nov 23, 2015 2:33 AM

Oct 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
Glasslip has like a 5.5 rating on this site now. That's ridiculously low.

Also I don't recommend watching Kotoura-san. Let's just say the first episode is a bit misleading.
Glasslip is close to being to lowest rated full length TV anime in the database and it is the lowest rated one that anyone actually gives a shit about (the actual lowest has less than 1000 members the last time I checked). Despite how good the animation and sound are it is grouped in with Inferno Cop and Boku no Pico rather than Another or NGNL, although 5cm/s would be a good anime to compare it to.

It still looks interesting to me so I don't see any harm in trying it. I've dropped moe shows before (Hidamari Sketch and Sakura Trick are examples) so I won't be afraid to drop it if it actually is bad.
Nov 23, 2015 2:54 AM

Feb 2015
LOGH.
Nov 23, 2015 2:55 AM

Nov 2011
No one cares about Kill la Kill anymore.

Nov 23, 2015 3:06 AM

Jul 2013
KaiserNazrin said:

Say that to Imaishi or Clebardman.

These days, Akame ga Kill is also an example. Despite being hyped before it's airing, now, no one comments in the subforum of the anime except people who watch episodes and the manga subforum only had activity when a new chapter is out.
Nov 23, 2015 3:09 AM

Feb 2015
SAO I guess, in our place.
All your examples are the shows I ought not to watch, even with the glory they had before.
Nov 23, 2015 3:10 AM

Mar 2014
Didn't Pandora Hearts use to be pretty popular?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 23, 2015 3:11 AM

Mar 2015
KaiserNazrin said:

This.
Nov 23, 2015 3:14 AM

Nov 2015
no offense, are you just making stuff up?
Nov 23, 2015 3:18 AM

Apr 2015
Once upon a time, there was an anime named "Fullmetal Alchemist"; It was critically acclaime and all that jazz. Everyone thought no ill of it, until Brotherhood came and now it's on no ones radar.

The end.
Nov 23, 2015 3:34 AM
Mar 2014
TKotarou said:
keragamming said:

>key fanboy
>makes a thread complainng about moe

lmfao mal
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 23, 2015 3:34 AM

Mar 2012
Tylaen said:
Once upon a time, there was an anime named "Fullmetal Alchemist"; It was critically acclaime and all that jazz. Everyone thought no ill of it, until Brotherhood came and now it's on no ones radar.

The end.
It's a shame actually. People seem to think that just because Brotherhood followed the source material and 2003 went off on its own that it makes the existence of the original series unnecessary.

I mean I'll admit that the original Hellsing series is shit in comparison to Ultimate (Actually kind of glad no one cares about that show anymore) but FMA 2003 is still one of my favourite shows. The show completely blew me away because it was like nothing else I'd ever seen.

On the other hand FMA Brotherhood was pretty standard battle shonen. Definitely better written than the majority, but not even the best in its genre. It's a great series for sure but there wasn't really anything that stuck out to me as 'mindblowing' and believe me it had its fair share of flaws.

KaiserNazrin said:
I care. Plus it's currently being re-run on Toonami in the US and people are still tuning in.
Nov 23, 2015 4:32 AM
Sep 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
I think that's a bit of evidence that it hasn't faded into obscurity.

It (Cardcaptor Sakura) was even recently re-released on DVD and BD by NIS America. It may not be supremely popular anymore, but I wouldn't say it faded into obscurity.
Nov 23, 2015 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
D.Gray-man. Author went on haitus for so long that the manga seemed to be dead. Has a stupidly high MAL rating of 8.2- mostly from young viewers coming across from another shounen battler, and looking for something darker and edgier.
Nov 23, 2015 4:43 AM
Sep 2015
K-ON was popular?!
wow that news to me
Nov 23, 2015 4:47 AM

Oct 2008
Oreimo was just huge when it came out ,it almost had Death Note/Attack On Titan levels of widespread and recognition.Then after its first season it turned into a run of the mill harem,later which they ruined everything about it with that awful ending...
Nov 23, 2015 4:51 AM

Jan 2012
jucheck said:
K-ON was popular?!
wow that news to me

Either you live under a rock in Spring 2009 or you just trollin'. By the way K-On! was very popular it was came out for the first time.
---
Nov 23, 2015 4:52 AM

Sep 2015
Hmmm probably Shakugan no shana? It was quite a old show, not sure if it is popular tho
Nov 23, 2015 5:11 AM

Jan 2012
1. Shakugan no shana (Third season killed it off for good)

2. Black Cat (Was very popular when I was still new to watching anime , and it was considered a staple anime)

3. Lovely★Complex (Still quite popular , however when it first aired it was considered as THE romance anime to watch)

3. Paranoia Agent (It was the IN thing to watch when things like Elfen Lied and other shows were at the time was extremely popular...Difference is Elfen Lied stayed popular and Paranoia Agent faded away into obscurity)

4. Onegai☆Teacher (It was considered very risque for it's time , and very popular among many ecchi fans. Alas other ecchi shows such as To Love Ru and DXD have taken it's place)

5. RahXephon (It was popular the year it came out , and after that it faded away from everyone's memories as an EVA copy)

6. Shiki (Still quite popular , but it was also very popular when it first aired , and has since started to slowly fade away)

7. Tenchi Muyo! (I only heard about this from older friends who watched anime back in the 90's so pardon if this is wrong , however they told me that it was one of the most popular ecchi shows of it's time and was considered by my friends to be one of the key shows that pushed ecchi shows into popularity back then)
Nov 23, 2015 6:17 AM

Sep 2015
I don't see people talking about Bakuman anymore.
Nov 23, 2015 6:19 AM

May 2008
Azumanga Daiou was super popular on message boards back in the day, and someone recently didn't know who Kimura-sensei was ;_;.

Also, Lucky☆Star. That hype train died and I'm so fucking glad.
Nov 23, 2015 6:21 AM

Jan 2009
I haven't seen a OPM thread in that last few hours, so I guess it's dead now

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Nov 23, 2015 6:25 AM

Nov 2010
OP: I think the reason that most people, especially male ones still watching Ouran High School Host Club for one reason: Sexism. I already mentioned how sexist Ouran was in my own thread but I believe I was ignored, at least that's how I felt.

Wanna know how sexist Ouran was? Fat women are hideous, disgusting people who should be avoided at all costs. Slimmer, sexier and prettier women are unthinking animals who can't resist the scent of an alpha males(hence the show's hosting theme), lesbians are evil ugly "witches" who stole straight women from (mostly) straight men, wiser women(in this case Renge) are manipulating, dominating bitches who owns everything, treating men like her property. The only sympathetic female character in the show is Haruhi herself, who survives by "disguising" herself as a boy and in fact she even praised by fellow female students because of that. Is this the crap we've been fed for almost a decade? For most men, especially conservative, women-hating ones the answer is 'yes' and in fact that's the point of watching this "show". Shame on us.
Nov 23, 2015 6:37 AM

May 2008
Joyce_Steele said:
OP: I think the reason that most people, especially male ones still watching Ouran High School Host Club for one reason: Sexism. I already mentioned how sexist Ouran was in my own thread but I believe I was ignored, at least that's how I felt.

Wanna know how sexist Ouran was? Fat women are hideous, disgusting people who should be avoided at all costs. Slimmer, sexier and prettier women are unthinking animals who can't resist the scent of an alpha males(hence the show's hosting theme), lesbians are evil ugly "witches" who stole straight women from (mostly) straight men, wiser women(in this case Renge) are manipulating, dominating bitches who owns everything, treating men like her property. The only sympathetic female character in the show is Haruhi herself, who survives by "disguising" herself as a boy and in fact she even praised by fellow female students because of that. Is this the crap we've been fed for almost a decade? For most men, especially conservative, women-hating ones the answer is 'yes' and in fact that's the point of watching this "show". Shame on us.

You should watch Prison School.
Nov 23, 2015 7:47 AM

Mar 2015
Tylaen said:

The end.

Nice touching story, I cry errytime
Nov 23, 2015 7:51 AM

Dec 2012
omfgplzstop said:
TKotarou said:

>key fanboy

lmfao mal
I wasn't complaining lol, I'm just saying it just isn't as popular as it was a few years back. :/
Nov 23, 2015 7:52 AM
Mar 2014
TKotarou said:
omfgplzstop said:

>key fanboy

lmfao mal
I wasn't complaining lol, I'm just saying it just isn't as popular as it was a few years back. :/

I was talking about a few days ago when you made a thread asking why people like moe so much.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 23, 2015 7:53 AM

Dec 2012
omfgplzstop said:
TKotarou said:

I was talking about a few days ago when you made a thread asking why people like moe so much.

I haven't made a thread in MAL forums ever lol
have you seen my favorite list?
Nov 23, 2015 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
Sword art online
Nov 23, 2015 7:57 AM

Mar 2015
TKotarou said:
omfgplzstop said:
I haven't made a thread in MAL forums ever lol
have you seen my favorite list?
they are different person with similar PP, it nick is cyberanimelover, not TKotarou
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 23, 2015 7:59 AM

Dec 2014
_Peksi said:
I haven't seen a OPM thread in that last few hours, so I guess it's dead now
Nope I spotted like 2
Nov 23, 2015 8:02 AM

Sep 2013
I think Australia aired K-on nationwide or something XD lmfao

Katekyo hitman reborn, not many people will watch the whole thing anymore.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 17 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
49 seconds ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 12 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

38 by _gt_ohn »»
11 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
11 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.