Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 13, 2015 1:44 PM

Feb 2008
This thread is not intended as a replacement for the The Uber Biweekly Manga Readalong, but rather for a more casual discussion about manga, or eventual simul read projects that are not club wide.

Also, it should help for a more centralized manga discussion, so that the club comments don't get clogged at least in theory. Feel free to run wild, but try to keep it manga related as much as possible.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 13, 2015 3:04 PM

Apr 2012
Oh, sounds nice.
Now that this thread is a thing, recently finished reading Sayonara Piano Sonata. It was pretty fun, wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Nov 13, 2015 7:49 PM

Oct 2012
This is a great idea corwin. Also, since this is up, I'm looking for a simulread partner for Zatch Bell. I'd like to finish the manga but I'm personally not motivated enough to do so. I think a simulread partner would help me out a lot. Albeit, I've never really successfully simulread before so there's that. :/

On a discussion note, Kokou no Hito really let me down. I plan to write a review for it eventually on my blog but sufficed to say it feels more like a checklist of events than a story.
Nov 14, 2015 3:03 AM

Sep 2010
i wouldn't mind do it with you ducat. zatch bell is one of my favorite mangas, so i wouldn't mijnd rereading it. 323 chapters of pure awesomeness and nakama power

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Nov 14, 2015 3:49 AM

Oct 2012
Xykko said:
i wouldn't mind do it with you ducat. zatch bell is one of my favorite mangas, so i wouldn't mijnd rereading it. 323 chapters of pure awesomeness and nakama power

I'll take you up on it. How about this, we do 2 volumes per week starting Monday next week. Sounds good? Or can we bump it up to 3 volumes?
Nov 14, 2015 6:40 AM

Sep 2010
Ducat_Revel said:
Xykko said:

I'll take you up on it. How about this, we do 2 volumes per week starting Monday next week. Sounds good? Or can we bump it up to 3 volumes?

3 volumes sounds good to me. at what time of the day does it suit you better? 9pm gmt?

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Nov 14, 2015 6:51 AM

Oct 2012
Xykko said:
Ducat_Revel said:

3 volumes sounds good to me. at what time of the day does it suit you better? 9pm gmt?

Does it matter? We got a week to read the volumes. Or am I not getting how a simulread is done. I was thinking we'd just like post our thoughts here whenever within the week. I've never really done this.

corwin, how is this done?
Nov 14, 2015 6:54 AM

Feb 2013
C-can i be in that group too. I read Zatch so long ago i totally forgot about it.
Nov 14, 2015 7:06 AM

Oct 2012
Carks32 said:
C-can i be in that group too. I read Zatch so long ago i totally forgot about it.

I'm totally down with that. Feel free, man.
Nov 14, 2015 7:35 AM

Sep 2010
well i used to do simulwatches and simulreads with some friends and we did it live on skype. but i'm also down with that, it's preety much the same to me :)

Nov 14, 2015 8:12 AM

Apr 2012
I'll join in too. Sounds nice.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Nov 14, 2015 10:15 AM

Feb 2008
Ducat_Revel said:
corwin, how is this done?

Well, the most practical way is to agree on a set number of chapters or volumes per week, or on a daily basis, and discuss it in a thread, for which purposes this one was opened. The common etiquette is that the comments should be under spoiler tags, since most likely the group projects won't be joke readings like KnIM or other Seo gems. Something like

Zatch Bell Chapter(s)/Volume [number]

In that way, the discussions won't reveal potential spoilers to people that plan to read it eventually, and also to the people who read it at the time, but haven't caught up with the most recent scheduled chapter/volume, or are trying to catch up. This is only a suggestion naturally, but I think it would work best.

In other news, I finished Strain yesterday. It's Sanctuary lite basically. Ikegami's art was impressive as expected, but the story really felt as if Buronson really didn't want to do anything new compared to their previous work together. The only real difference is the Strain motif, a superior bloodline against the individuals who claw their way up from the slums. For the most part, it's cheese, even within it's own set inner logic. Still, I liked it, and Angel was a pretty cool character, might even say that he was the most interesting of the bunch.

Nov 14, 2015 11:28 AM

Feb 2013
Well, now, i'm reading (and editing), AX Alternative Manga. It's a really, really rough ride. It's a compilation, i get that, but there's no theme (like the normal AX published in japan, apparently), it's all a mess, and it's really really rough. I'm liking it so far (190 pages in) but that's my main complain, it's just really rough but yeah, it has been a fun and fuckign ass weird ride.
Nov 14, 2015 11:36 AM

Jul 2013
What's the cream of the crop for Ikegami? I plan on starting one of his works and I'd like to be entertained and engaged. Anything I can expect from his stuff?
Nov 14, 2015 3:06 PM

Feb 2008
@Nagisa33
Sanctuary and Crying Freeman are his most representative works. Sanctuary manages it's improbable politics and yakuza mix with a flexible inner working, Crying Freeman on the other hand has no pretense of being full-on batshit.

You can expect a lot of violence, sex and intrigues. It's more mature fun rather than "mature", something you can imagine a 30-something salaryman reading for some thrills, cheese and giggles. Even if the art style doesn't suit your preferences, the well-drawn characters and the level of realism should leave an impression. Personally, I have yet to encounter more beautifully drawn men and women in a manga, leaving aside that they resemble more some Greek or Roman sculptures, rather than the average Japanese citizen.

Nov 14, 2015 4:56 PM

Sep 2010
Id be down for sanctuary. On my ptw for years. Wanna do it nagisa. I have lots of free time during the week

Nov 14, 2015 5:11 PM

Jul 2013
Absolutely though I need to focus on my projects and papers for the next few days. How would we do this then? I've heard of simulwatching but how do you simulread when people go at their own pace? Do we read a few chapters, or a volume and then talk about it? Or something else?

What Jizzy and I did for Macross was we watched a few episodes and wrote to each other about them. That went quite well. I appreciated it more that way as we got to see the other's perspective on the same piece. Watching Macross was an adventure and I'm glad I had a friend along for the ride. I'll be glad to hear a bit from you as well. I have next to no idea what to expect and but I'm excited for this.
Nagisa33Nov 14, 2015 5:20 PM
Nov 14, 2015 6:07 PM

Sep 2010
A volume per week since you are busy with uour paper?

Nov 14, 2015 6:24 PM

Feb 2013
We can always make a call on Skype (or somewhere) and have someone do share screen.
Nov 14, 2015 8:38 PM

Jul 2013
A volume per week: yes. Skype: yes! What day and time should we discuss? I'm Eastern Standard Time (EST) as in New York City, Washington DC, or Montreal. At the time of this post it's almost midnight. Almost time for bed too. I'd prefer to talk on the weekend as I'll be more flexible then. Let me know what you prefer. :)
Nov 14, 2015 11:52 PM

Feb 2013
>A volume per week
Man, Zatch is 33 or so volumes long, it will take us MONTHS to finish it.
Nov 15, 2015 12:12 AM

Oct 2012
Carks32 said:
>A volume per week
Man, Zatch is 33 or so volumes long, it will take us MONTHS to finish it.

Yeah, I thought of that too. How many volumes can you guys do in a week? We can hike it up by a bit to shorten this.
Nov 15, 2015 4:09 AM

Sep 2010
i was talking about sanbctuary XDD zatch is too big for just 1 a week. and i know for a fact that after certain arcs you guys won't be able to do just 1 a week

Nov 15, 2015 5:15 AM

Apr 2012
Could 3 a week work?
- Oreki, Hyouka
Nov 15, 2015 6:27 AM

Sep 2010
imo zatch would work perfectly, since most of the arcs have that lengh give or take (zofis and faudo arc are the exceptions with 9 and 10 volumes each).
for sanctuary since each volume has around 120 pages, i think we could do 1 or 2 a week depending on your work load nagisa

Nov 15, 2015 8:13 AM

Aug 2011
I was wondering if someone here has a better grasp on what Akira's ending meant.

StrawNov 15, 2015 8:17 AM
Nov 15, 2015 8:28 AM

Jul 2013
I was talking about Sanctuary. I'm not interested in reading Zatch Bell at this time. Though 1 volume a week seems too slow now that you guys mention it. How about we do 3 volumes a week? I can do that. Who wants to read Sanctuary besides Xykko?

@Straw. That's exactly what I thought in relation to the younger generation. As for Akira I'm not too sure what he represents. I was thinking more of a driving force for change, though with change brings uncertainty. It could be good, bad, anywhere in-between, or a mix.
Nagisa33Nov 15, 2015 8:37 AM
Nov 15, 2015 9:00 AM

Sep 2010
as a matter of fact i nver read akira, because fitting 120 chapters in 6 volumes seems to much for me, leaving me bored after the first volume whether the story is good or not

Nov 15, 2015 10:09 AM

Oct 2012
Xykko said:
as a matter of fact i nver read akira, because fitting 120 chapters in 6 volumes seems to much for me, leaving me bored after the first volume whether the story is good or not

Does that mean you'll never read a Tezuka work too because those volumes are dense.
Nov 15, 2015 10:20 AM

Aug 2009
Xykko said:

Okay, I am not writing this as a sarcastic comment, but I truly fail to understand what difference the number of chapters per volume makes when deciding whether to read something. I can see why the sheer volume of some works may make people not want to give it a chance (even if I disagree), but the number of chapters in a single volume?
Nov 15, 2015 3:11 PM

Aug 2011
I don't get it either. If you were to split Akira in conventional volume lengths, you would get around 11-12 volumes. In other words, around ten chapter each volume.

Nagisa33 said:
@Straw. That's exactly what I thought in relation to the younger generation. As for Akira I'm not too sure what he represents. I was thinking more of a driving force for change, though with change brings uncertainty. It could be good, bad, anywhere in-between, or a mix.

That's an interesting, and I think a more correct, way to put it. I guess evolution kind of implies a positive or necessary development in humanity, whereas that uncertainty covers the deviant and self-destructive behavior of many of the youngsters as well.
Nov 15, 2015 7:51 PM

Feb 2013
I would recommend 3-4 volumes a week but with one of these options

1. Spread out, and one volume a day and we decide which day we can do
2. Or do a whole run on one day.

What you guys are up to, really.
Nov 19, 2015 5:35 PM

Feb 2008
Kazuo Umezu appreciation time. After reading My name is Shingo, I've realized how much he lacks appreciation among the fans in the West. I know this is MAL, but 48 completed members, no reviews, a single recommendation for another of his works (also severely obscure), no mention whatsoever on it, other than a flimsy Wikipedia article in German. A crying shame.

This is just a rant, but this manga really convinced me of what Umezu said in this short interview, of being an author that is well-diversified in a lot of genres, despite being dubbed as the grandfather of horror manga. It caught me off guard, as I least expected it would be a philosophical journey of a sentient manufacturing robot towards humanity and beyond, with a good love story acting out as a catalyst for a good part of the events. It throws in a lot of things in the mix, from conspiracies to some weird notion of the Japanese mass consciousness. Some things were rough around the edges, but the journey is well-worth a few loose threads.

Nov 20, 2015 12:19 AM

Aug 2009
The Drifting Classroom is relatively well known (emphasis on relatively) in the English-speaking fandom, but yeah, I don't think I've ever come across someone speaking about other Umezu's works or his influence.
metamorphiusNov 20, 2015 12:24 AM
Nov 21, 2015 1:41 PM

Feb 2013
Nov 21, 2015 2:36 PM

Sep 2010
me and ducat already started. by the way are you also with em and nagisa in sanctuary?

Nov 21, 2015 4:16 PM

Feb 2013
>me and ducat already started

Thanks for saying then </3
Nov 21, 2015 4:19 PM

Sep 2010
Carks32 said:
>me and ducat already started

Thanks for saying then </3

only knew today as well so blame KD. you mustn't forget he's the source of all evil in this world, as you should have noticed in the halloween challenge

Nov 21, 2015 5:18 PM

Feb 2013
Nov 21, 2015 9:53 PM
Nov 22, 2015 3:09 AM

Sep 2010
KHAAAAAAN!

Nov 22, 2015 8:06 AM

Apr 2012
Goddammit KD
- Oreki, Hyouka
Nov 22, 2015 9:13 AM

Oct 2012
sushiisawesome said:
Goddammit KD

Yada yada yaaaaaaaa. Someone please just post what they think of their simulread projects instead of pinning the blame on me.
Nov 22, 2015 11:15 AM

Feb 2013
Nov 22, 2015 11:21 AM

Feb 2008
Reading Children of the Sea, I can see why you like it so much, Ducat. I'm estimating that it will be the best Igarashi work I've read so far, unless something really extreme happens in the two volumes I have left.

Nov 22, 2015 11:33 AM

Oct 2012
corwin_r said:
Reading Children of the Sea, I can see why you like it so much, Ducat. I'm estimating that it will be the best Igarashi work I've read so far, unless something really extreme happens in the two volumes I have left.

Something extreme does happen. Extremely good. :D

On another note, I'm reading Freesia right now. The main dude is crazy and I kinda want him to get hit by a car. Still, I think I like this more than Mikai no Hoshi at least. So there's that.
Ducat_RevelNov 22, 2015 11:42 AM
Nov 22, 2015 4:38 PM

Sep 2010
Well since there are 2 members that are yet to start/ started today Konjiki no Gash Bell!!, i'll write my thought s about the first 3 volumes with a spoiler tag

and since i suck at writing this kinda of stuff in english, i'd like to know other members input on this unreadable essay so that i can elaborate my opinion better.

Nov 22, 2015 10:25 PM

Oct 2012
Zatch Bell Volume 1-3

Nov 23, 2015 9:39 AM

Feb 2013
Well, I read Tenohira Size this week since a friend worked on it. And it's pretty fucking bittersweet. I liked it, but the certain serious/real stuff hit you hard because it looks pretty cute and so in general but certain stuff that happens make you say 'but why' and to be honest, it was a good read and A BIT too short, but i still liked it.
Nov 23, 2015 9:46 AM

Oct 2012
Carks32 said:
Well, I read Tenohira Size this week since a friend worked on it. And it's pretty fucking bittersweet. I liked it, but the certain serious/real stuff hit you hard because it looks pretty cute and so in general but certain stuff that happens make you say 'but why' and to be honest, it was a good read and A BIT too short, but i still liked it.

I like it too. I still think the And It Will Be Sunny was still a better effort from the mangaka, but Tenohira Size was also pleasant and sweet. Real short tho. A shame. I hope the mangaka gets to do longer works. Maybe within the 5-7 volume range.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.