Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Manga Rankings for Nov 2 - 8

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 16, 2015 7:07 AM

Jan 2015
Agafin said:
Seems like the final volume of the Seinen manga Orange (volume 5) is giving it a nice boost. Maybe the live action movie to be released next month will also boost it. I remember reading the first chapter of this manga a few months (it received a lot of praise on French manga related sites) but like always when it comes to manga reading and me, I indefinitely put it on-hold xd. All the seven days of the week are out on Shoseki btw:
looks like Bleach will do around 70k....
I wonder if it'll beat Magi and World Trigger for the year...
Seraph is still moving a good amount of backlog volumes don't see Bleach beating it.....
chrisbjNov 16, 2015 7:12 AM
Nov 16, 2015 11:44 AM

Apr 2013

Seems like OPM will do great this week, too, and at this rate its volumes will all become 800k sellers, which is great. That puts it below what? One Piece, SnK, AssClass and Haikyuu is all I can think of...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 16, 2015 1:33 PM

Jun 2014

Only including series that are still ongoing, 800k would put it below all of those plus Nanatsu no Taizai, Tokyo Ghoul:re, Kimi ni Todoke, Gin no Saji and... around the same level as or just above Sakamoto desu ga? Also below HxH if that counts as ongoing. So it would still be out of the Top 10. But it would make it to become the second best selling Seinen, above Terraformars but below Tokyo Ghoul.

It'll probably end up being more than an 800k seller though. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. I can see it averaging at least 20k+ until the end of the anime which should place volume 7 (the one published in December, since I'm trying to use a one year frame) at around 850k. Then the post-anime boost can help it crawl to 900k. It also helps that that MH and ONE decided to add an extra episode in each of the six Blu ray/DVD volumes. That means that the series will still have some hype weeks or even months after its ending. Together with the OVA attached to volume 10 (LE), that makes 7 extra episodes for a 12 episode series, not sure if I've ever seen something like that.
Nov 16, 2015 1:40 PM
Nov 2015
Nice good have see 8 volumes of OPM selling well

"I'm a humble learner."
Nov 16, 2015 1:51 PM

Apr 2013
Agafin said:

Only including series that are still ongoing, 800k would put it below all of those plus Nanatsu no Taizai, Tokyo Ghoul:re, Kimi ni Todoke, Gin no Saji and... around the same level as or just above Sakamoto desu ga? Also below HxH if that counts as ongoing. So it would still be out of the Top 10. But it would make it to become the second best selling Seinen, above Terraformars but below Tokyo Ghoul.

It'll probably end up being more than an 800k seller though. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. I can see it averaging at least 20k+ until the end of the anime which should place volume 7 (the one published in December, since I'm trying to use a one year frame) at around 850k. Then the post-anime boost can help it crawl to 900k. It also helps that that MH and ONE decided to add an extra episode in each of the six Blu ray/DVD volumes. That means that the series will still have some hype weeks or even months after its ending. Together with the OVA attached to volume 10 (LE), that makes 7 extra episodes for a 12 episode series, not sure if I've ever seen something like that.

They're probably trying to sustain the boost as long as possible considering a season 2 won't be in the making anytime soon, if at all.
Btw, the fact that there's such a huge gap in sales between OP and SnK and the rest is so peculiar it makes me wonder if the fans of those series even bother reading anything else. Like, how is it possible all the top selling manga excluding those 2 cant break 1 million while OP and SnK respectively triple and double those figures easily?
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 16, 2015 1:54 PM

Jun 2015
geralt said:
Agafin said:

They're probably trying to sustain the boost as long as possible considering a season 2 won't be in the making anytime soon, if at all.
Btw, the fact that there's such a huge gap in sales between OP and SnK and the rest is so peculiar it makes me wonder if the fans of those series even bother reading anything else. Like, how is it possible all the top selling manga excluding those 2 cant break 1 million while OP and SnK respectively triple and double those figures easily?

One Piece isnt just a manga in japan it is a national phenomenon read by everyone in all ages.
Nov 16, 2015 2:35 PM
Sep 2014
the big question about OPM is how the anime will impact new volume sales. I'm interested to see how that'll turn out.
Nov 16, 2015 2:44 PM

Jul 2014
MysticLeviathan said:
the big question about OPM is how the anime will impact new volume sales. I'm interested to see how that'll turn out.

OPM will probably end up being a bit higher than TG.
Nov 16, 2015 2:50 PM

Oct 2013
geralt said:
Agafin said:

The thing is, snk and one piece have a lot of casual fans that are not too interested in anime and manga and only buy these ones that interest them.

A survey showed that only 85k copies of snk monthly chapter is bought every month. Which means 95% of the snk fans don't even follow the series on a monthly basis and only follow it buy buying the volumes when they come out every 4 month. Its also said that majority of the snk buyers are young adult with, 40% being female and 60% being male.

So yea, I think both snk and one piece was able to reach out to people that are not usually interested in manga or anime. So for other series to reach these two level they will have to be extremely popular to gain the attention of these casual buyers.
Nov 16, 2015 2:52 PM

Jun 2014
geralt said:

Yeah, that's sort of weird. There are two possible explanations I can think of. The first one is that the fans of these juggernauts also buy other manga but not in such a concentrated way. Like out of six SJ fans, you'll have like 2 who follow Naruto, 2 follow AssClass or Haikyuu, 1 follows Bleach etc with a few of them following two or more of those. However, you'll have about 5 who follow One Piece so obviously it's going to crush them popularity wise.

The other explanation (or should I say "hypothesis") could be that those series managed the incredibly hard feat çf appealling to a part of the population which is made up of people who are not normally manga fans and have no intention of becoming ones. I think the latter hypothesis is more likely (or a combination of both). If you look at One Piece for example, it is published in a magazine which has a circulation of 2.4 million yet sells over 3 million in a matter of a few months so most of its fans are elsewhere. It's even more pronounced with SNK which basically carried the whole Bessastu Shonen Magazine on its shoulders until Arslan came along.

The crazy thing is that you'd expect those outsiders to at least start reading something else with time but that hardly seems to be the case. SJ's circulation pretty much was basically halved after the end of Slam Dunk and Dragon Ball (two other series I believe are like OP/SNK) just like the circulation of the shoujo magazine "Aria " pretty much collapsed after the end of Kuintaku Setaiku (though that was more of a "back to normal" case).

I guess it's a bit like in the movie industry where you had a movie like Titanic which was watched even by grandmas. Obviously, no matter how much hype/marketting another movie will have, you don't really expect that grandma to go watch it again.
AgafinNov 16, 2015 2:58 PM
Nov 16, 2015 3:06 PM

Jun 2014
About OPM, volume 10 will be released in about three weeks so before the boost is over. I don't think it can match TG just yet considering that the latest volume has sold in 3 months what TG sells in two weeks (the bundled DVD will boost it up a bit though).
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

12 by _ATG_ »»
58 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
9 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 1:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.