Forum Settings
Forums

What would you do if the person you loved mistook you for someone else?

New
Oct 13, 2015 10:32 AM

Jul 2012
I just woke up and I had this weirdly disturbing dream. Put yourself into this position and answer accordingly.

You've been in love with a person for 10 years but you've never had the courage to ask them out. You've known each other in elementary and high school and were close but not friends. Both of you go to the same college/uni now and the first time you bump into them, they seem like they remember you, so you confront them.

Them: Hey! I just noticed you!
You: You know who I am, right?
Them: Yeah, you're xxx. By the way, do you want to go out with me?
(xxx being someone else's name completely)

Under this circumstance, would you still say yes even if they thought you were someone else? I mean, after you correct them.

In my dream, I ended up rejecting him on the get go and then getting sad over it because the dream turned out to be war propaganda and he lost all his memories. The end.

Discuss and share mistaken stories.
MayukaOct 13, 2015 10:43 AM
Oct 13, 2015 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
Decline,of course.

It's not like such releationship could last.
Or rather,more likely it would not.
Oct 13, 2015 10:37 AM

Jul 2012
Mischievous said:
Decline,of course.

Well, you could start out new with them, I guess. See where things go from there. It's just a bit sad that you're so insignificant in their life that they'd mistake you for someone else.
Oct 13, 2015 10:37 AM

Sep 2014
I would say no, and then I would take him to Spec Savers.
Oct 13, 2015 10:38 AM
Jan 2013
mayukachan said:
Them: Yeah, you're xxx. By the way, do you want to go out with me?

And that's the moment I realize the girl I liked for 10 years is probably a psychopath.
gone bai bai
Oct 13, 2015 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
mayukachan said:
Mischievous said:
Decline,of course.

Well, you could start out new with them, I guess. See where things go from there. It's just a bit sad that you're so insignificant in their life that they'd mistake you for someone else.

Well,you could.

But you would lie about your identity,which would not be exactly a good start to your releationship and it would get out rather soon, since your crush would want to ask the person out,the crush would know the other person rather well.
Oct 13, 2015 10:40 AM

Jul 2012
Mischievous said:
mayukachan said:

Well,you could.

But you would lie about your identity,which would not be exactly a good start to your releationship and it would get out rather soon, since your crush would want to ask the person out,the crush would know the other person rather well.
No, I didn't say to lie about it. I'm saying to correct them and then ask them if they'd still want to go out.
Oct 13, 2015 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
mayukachan said:
Mischievous said:

Well,you could.

No, I didn't say to lie about it. I'm saying to correct them and then ask them if they'd still want to go out.

Oh,the OP did not mention correctin the crush.
Then why,not. Maybe.
Oct 13, 2015 10:43 AM

Feb 2015
No because this kind of relationships ends up nowhere and eventually both concerned parties will go through the obligatory emotional shenaigans
Oct 13, 2015 10:47 AM
Oct 2015
How can you be "close" but not friends? Someone that has known for you 10 years wouldn't get your name wrong, acquaintance or not. This dream just doesn't make sense, lol.
Oct 13, 2015 10:48 AM

Jul 2012
Hello3245 said:
How can you be "close" but not friends? Someone that has known for you 10 years wouldn't get your name wrong, acquaintance or not. This dream just doesn't make sense, lol.
Same class for all of elementary, sat near you, same athletic team, same clubs. :/ Just not friends.

And as for me, I've changed a lot to my appearance since graduating high school so it makes sense he would not recognize me.
Oct 13, 2015 10:50 AM

Oct 2010
As hurtful as it would be for someone to get your name wrong in that situation, I believe that they still deserve a chance. Go out on a date or two with them and see how it goes.
Oct 13, 2015 10:52 AM

Apr 2011
Well... It REALLY depends on if they just forgot your name or completely thought you were someone else. Regardless, they have an interest in you on a superficial level if they're asking you out. I'd say just try and kindly correct them, and give them a chance. Not everything works out, but it is usually worth giving it a shot.
Oct 13, 2015 10:53 AM

Feb 2013
"No. You don't even know my name properly."
As sad as that is, I would still give him a chance if he wants to get to know ME and not the person he thought I was.

Oct 13, 2015 10:55 AM

Apr 2011
gissellebatista said:
"No. You don't even know my name properly."
As sad as that is, I would still give him a chance if he wants to get to know ME and not the person he thought I was.

I don't think it's sad to be ok with that. People forget names and faces all the time, some people are worse at this then others. I'm horrible at remembering peoples names, even people I see fairly regularly. It makes me feel horrible when I forget.

I agree with what you said about letting the person get to know YOU. That's what's improtant
Oct 13, 2015 10:56 AM
Oct 2015
mayukachan said:
Hello3245 said:
Same class for all of elementary, sat near you, same athletic team, same clubs. :/ Just not friends.

And as for me, I've changed a lot to my appearance since graduating high school so it makes sense he would not recognize me.

I see.

I think it's a innocent mistake, so I wouldn't take it serious or shame them for it. I'd just tell them who I actually am and if they still want to go on a date, then I'd go for it.

I've never been in this position myself and I don't think I ever will. Some people at my high school use to say I look like Justin Beiber. It's true, we look so similar no matter the haircut. Lol -_-
Oct 13, 2015 10:56 AM
Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
You've been in love with a person for 10 years but you've never had the courage to ask them out.

I could never love a girl who I'm not in a relationship with for so long, that's just silly.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Oct 13, 2015 10:57 AM

Jul 2012
MrMagnificent said:
mayukachan said:
You've been in love with a person for 10 years but you've never had the courage to ask them out.

I could never love a girl who I'm not in a relationship with for so long, that's just silly.
More like it's really sad, to be stuck in unrequited love for that long. :(
Oct 13, 2015 10:58 AM

Oct 2010
I don't see how they could mistake someone for someone else entirely.
I mean, unless you look like identical twins, it seems impossible that the person would mistake you for the person they supposedly have a crush on. They would have to be pretty dense.

I think taking it was a situation where they just happen to call you the wrong name seems more realistic.
Oct 13, 2015 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
mayukachan said:
MrMagnificent said:

More like it's really sad, to be stuck in unrequited love for that long. :(

I was for circa three years in such situation and it sucked big time .
My sympathies.
Oct 13, 2015 11:00 AM

Jul 2012
Usagi said:
I don't see how they could mistake someone for someone else entirely.
I mean, unless you look like identical twins, it seems impossible that the person would mistake you for the person they supposedly have a crush on. They would have to be pretty dense.
I'm assuming it like this:
1. Protagonist looks really good looking now
2. Person mistakes them for other good looking person whom they have no feelings for
3. Person asks protagonist out because why not?
Oct 13, 2015 11:07 AM

Oct 2010
mayukachan said:
I'm assuming it like this:
1. Protagonist looks really good looking now
2. Person mistakes them for other good looking person whom they have no feelings for
3. Person asks protagonist out because why not?

So they are pretty much just an idiot looking for a date.
Well, I suppose if you could still find that person appealing after that, it's still worth going on a date or two with them to see how it goes. It's not like they had feelings for another person or anything.

I'd personally be irritated and question why I ever liked them to begin with, so there wouldn't be any hard feelings. I would just dislike them.
Oct 13, 2015 11:08 AM

Jul 2012
Usagi said:
I'd personally be irritated and question why I ever liked them to begin with, so there wouldn't be any hard feelings. I would just dislike them.
Same, lol. I'd be hurt but I think I'd end up agreeing.
Oct 13, 2015 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
I'd decline. At 10 years moving on would be long overdue anyway.
Oct 13, 2015 11:15 AM

May 2014
I'd probably accept just for the fun
I've been here way too long...
Oct 13, 2015 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Id pretend to be that person the whole time. There will probably be a lot of intense moments where I have to hide I'm not who I say I am, but their would also be a lot of jokes and slap stick humor. Then in the 2nd act she would find out that I wasn't who I said I was and she would get upset and leave. But then I would find her and tell her that it doesn't matter who I am because I was truly in love with her. And then we would get back together because true love conquers all. It will make for a great movie. I think I might just hit it rich
Oct 13, 2015 11:18 AM

Jan 2015
No, you don't even know my name. I have standards. Depends though.
Oct 13, 2015 11:20 AM

Apr 2014
I wonder if twin girls growing up legitimatly have this discussion. Like stay away from my boyfriend or something.

I might do it.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Oct 13, 2015 11:24 AM

Oct 2010
i love these threads and how ridiculous they are, or just aimed at women

not only its ridiculous to have someone you liked 10 years ago ask you out but its even more ridiculous and unrealistic to actually be busy and unavailable and have another spouse at the moment

won't even bother granting this fantasy an answer because its unrealistic
rodacOct 13, 2015 11:29 PM
lots of music -
Oct 13, 2015 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
I'd decline.
It's stupid to date someone if they don't even know who I am.
Oct 13, 2015 11:25 AM

Jul 2012
incisorr said:
or just aimed at women
wat u dont think girls ask guys out? ?? ?
Oct 13, 2015 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
SnugglyWhuggly said:

What if he'll take it as a date?
Oct 13, 2015 11:54 AM

Jan 2015
incisorr said:
i love these threads and how ridiculous they are, or just aimed at women

not only its ridiculous to have someone you liked 10 years ago ask you out but its even more ridiculous and unrealistic to actually be busy and unavailable and have another spouse at the moment

won't even bother granting this fantasy an answer because its unrealistic

Then dont fucking say anything.
Oct 13, 2015 11:59 AM

Oct 2010
no i had to make it known, in case it wasn't to some people
lots of music -
Oct 13, 2015 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
Heretic94 said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

What if he'll take it as a date?

Considering how nice glasses they have,it would be rather neat,I'd say.
Oct 13, 2015 12:42 PM

May 2015
I would say no. I love sex and romance, but I need the girl to desire me. If she mistakes me for someone else, then she doesn't desire me and it's no fun.

It's also dishonest and I value honesty.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 13, 2015 12:54 PM

Nov 2014
No relationship can be based on a lie

Decline
Oct 13, 2015 1:21 PM

Jan 2014
I'd feel a momentary pain in my heart then resolve myself to make them remember me more through even more spontaneous romantic gestures.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Oct 13, 2015 1:47 PM

Apr 2014
I'd be honest to them and tell them that I'm not xxx at that point they might not be interested anymore but if they are i would give them a chance especially since i also would have to get to know them and see if we are even compadible with each other
Oct 13, 2015 9:51 PM

Jul 2012
A world where I go to elementary school, High-School, and college in the same town and like 1 girl for 10 years sounds horrible. I would probably decline and apply out of that area.
Oct 13, 2015 9:52 PM

Feb 2015
Happened once, I correct her and choose to decline.
Oct 13, 2015 10:08 PM

Jun 2015
Decline.
Oct 14, 2015 6:50 AM

Mar 2013
I repe them.

More topics from this board

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Apr 18

25 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever put someone on the 'Ignored Users' list?

Thy-Veseveia - May 7

17 by ST63LTH »»
27 minutes ago

» Are you a pushover

ST63LTH - Yesterday

12 by Rinar »»
27 minutes ago

» How do you feel about your digital footprint becoming your digital tombstone?

Shizuna - Yesterday

19 by ST63LTH »»
29 minutes ago

» Will aliens finally appear this century? ( 1 2 )

Absurdo_N - Apr 7

52 by Mr_Question »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.