Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2015 5:09 PM

Mar 2013
Unfortunately I haven't had time to go back and watch season one over, but even then I don't remember if it was ever discusses. Is there a particular reason that Rui dresses like a girl 75% of the time. I'm sure he knows he is a guy, and doesn't seem transgendered. To be honest I see Rui as gender neutral. I guess because he has X we never really see him interact in any way that would hint as his orientation. I know... I know... "He dresses as a girl so he be gay" I don't really take that into account as they have O.D. Thoughts? Or was this discussed or explained already?
Aug 31, 2015 5:27 PM

Jul 2014
Rui is canonly considered a boy. In episode 3-4 they reveal it, he simply just likes to wear women's clothes.
cool
Sep 1, 2015 5:31 AM

Mar 2012
How do you see him as gender neutral when you already know he's a dude xD Not sure if it has ever had any significance to the plot, just another cross dresser/trap in anime. Who knows, still 4 episodes left so they might bring it up.
Sep 1, 2015 5:34 AM

Jan 2009
i never know a straight male that always have female clothing so for me he is gay but not that super gay like OD
Sep 1, 2015 9:46 AM

Jun 2014
The issue was never brought up in the anime, although the netizens do make comments like "gay-kun" and things.

I know some viewers of the English dub consider Rui to be transexual, which is purely a psychological condition, unless of course they decide to undergo surgery. In their minds, they identify themselves to be the opposite sex. But I see where you're coming from OP by saying he seems gender neutral. He doesn't really act "manly" or "girly". I myself am pretty much like him in that sense.

Being transsexual is probably the most reasonable explanation though for the way he dresses, as it doesn't serve to hide his identity as such. His sexual preference has never been revealed, for all we know, he could be a "lesbian" or asexual.

The only thing that really p*sses me off is when people refer to him as a "she" when it's clearly not the case, especially when his gender identity is not yet confirmed.
Sep 1, 2015 2:03 PM

Mar 2013
Avenger-senpai said:
How do you see him as gender neutral when you already know he's a dude xD Not sure if it has ever had any significance to the plot, just another cross dresser/trap in anime. Who knows, still 4 episodes left so they might bring it up.

When I say gender neutral I guess asexual may have been better. As in he doesn't show sexual attraction for either males or females. Though he doesn't act disinterested either. The character doesn't come across as completely lacking a sexual identity. More of a case of passive bisexual. He just doesn't like the type of person were sexual orientation would matter to him. Since unlike O.D. which act out the typical gay cliches. Rui just seems like the type that has no need to identify himself sexually. So that is why I ask since he DOES dress as a female so much.
Sep 1, 2015 4:07 PM

Mar 2012
Ah, okay. Well in O.D.'s case he acts pretty feminine but doesn't necessarily mean he's into guys. I don't remember him ever showing any interest in other guys or it being confirmed that he's gay yet. Same case with Rui, might just enjoy cross dressing like a hobby and not necessarily be into dudes. Or it could be due to some traumatic experience in the past, who knows. Seems like the author wants to let the viewers decide on what to make of it. So yea, I agree he is pretty neutral when it comes to what sex he's attracted to.
Sep 1, 2015 8:44 PM

Dec 2012
Avenger-senpai said:
Well in O.D.'s case he acts pretty feminine but doesn't necessarily mean he's into guys. I don't remember him ever showing any interest in other guys or it being confirmed that he's gay yet.

I think he did make a comment on how that firefighter guy was hot, back in season one. Still, O.D. could just be saying that jokingly, or maybe the way he acts is just a persona he puts up?
Actually, I'm not even sure if we know for a fact that O.D. is a dude.
Sep 1, 2015 10:06 PM

Mar 2012
[quote=Tulicloure]
Avenger-senpai said:

Actually, I'm not even sure if we know for a fact that O.D. is a dude.

Dem aliens and their unknown genders until confirmed lol.
Sep 11, 2023 6:57 PM
Sep 2023
I'm sure it was a man. What is his real purpose?
Mar 8, 2:12 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Wanting to dress as the opposite gender =/= transgender. Why do some people fail to understand this? I'm a straight like arrow man and I love the idea of wearing a cute dress. That doesn't make me transgender because I love being a guy after all.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Insight Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2015

89 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 8, 2:15 PM

» Is Ichinose Hajime a psychopath?

trannon1 - Sep 6, 2015

7 by Ochimusha »»
Sep 12, 2023 10:46 PM

» Tsubasa existing Ruined This show

abyss333 - Aug 4, 2015

35 by LawsonTanner »»
Aug 12, 2023 9:45 AM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Insight Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2015

100 by Sirius__ »»
Apr 22, 2023 11:46 AM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Insight Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2015

66 by Fishes_bic »»
Dec 17, 2020 9:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.