Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 22, 2015 1:12 PM

Feb 2015
I noticed that Father has only 76 favourites on this site, which surprised me since he was the main bad guy in FMAB, which is the best rated show and one of the most popular anime on MAL after all! Also I certainly don't see many people talk about him or have him as a profile avatar or something. The more I thought about, he really didn't leave that much of an impression on me... He was okay, but the other homunculi were far more interesting IMO, even the ones that didn't get much screen time. So what are your opinions on Father? Was he a worthy main villain for FMAB? Did the show deserve someone better? Or was he just a nice little extra to the plot, which was more focused on non-Father related things? (Sadly I don't remember much about FMA 03, so I can't really compare him to Dante).
Aug 22, 2015 1:17 PM

Apr 2015
First of all, people usually favorite characters if they have cool personalities or have a high level of awesomeness, which Father has none of.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Aug 23, 2015 4:38 AM

Feb 2015
I agree, there wasn't really much going for him personality-wise, but this whole god thing was kind of cool.
Aug 23, 2015 5:06 AM

Mar 2014
In terms of how he was written and how the character was executed, it was done perfectly and he truly is one of the best Shonen FVs.

However, he just didn't have that "IT" factor that makes the audience connect with him. His design wasn't that stand-out nor were his voices (both Jap & Eng) that memorable. Plus, as you said, the Homunculi were just far more interesting; for example you have leader of the nation Bradley who was just a phenomenal character and the best antagonist of the series, everything about him was just memorable because he had lots of spotlight and entertained the hell out of the audience.

So, to answer the titular question: yes, he wasn't just a good villain but a great villain. It's just that there were more enthralling antagonists so he was simply outshone by the outstanding cast.
Aug 23, 2015 5:10 AM

Jul 2015
He was alright, just kind of generic imo
Aug 23, 2015 2:55 PM

Jun 2015
ziggy_Z said:
In terms of how he was written and how the character was executed, it was done perfectly and he truly is one of the best Shonen FVs.

However, he just didn't have that "IT" factor that makes the audience connect with him. His design wasn't that stand-out nor were his voices (both Jap & Eng) that memorable. Plus, as you said, the Homunculi were just far more interesting; for example you have leader of the nation Bradley who was just a phenomenal character and the best antagonist of the series, everything about him was just memorable because he had lots of spotlight and entertained the hell out of the audience.

So, to answer the titular question: yes, he wasn't just a good villain but a great villain. It's just that there were more enthralling antagonists so he was simply outshone by the outstanding cast.

Pretty much this.
Jan 27, 2022 9:20 AM

Dec 2019
A little generic. King Bradley, Envy and Kimblee are thousands of times better.
Jan 27, 2022 11:17 AM

May 2021
He served his roll well but as a character, he just isn't cutting it for me.

Jan 27, 2022 11:19 AM

Feb 2021
not really. love his design at the end tho
Jan 27, 2022 1:04 PM
Jan 2021
He was a good villain tbf
He just wasn't presented to us in a way that we can connect ourselves to him.I like every antagonist more than Father except Sloth
Jan 27, 2022 4:53 PM

Aug 2020
Just like others I found him a bit flat, but I think that is what the author is trying to convey in his character. A perfect being with no flaws.
The Homunculus are also what represents the seven deadly sins he got rid of, the sins that he thought would deter him from being perfect. They're very well-written as a group imo.
KirisakeiJan 27, 2022 4:57 PM

Jan 29, 2022 9:32 AM

Mar 2019
Father was a "bad guy" born from sin, he had a purpose to serve in story. Just like religion, devils have a purpose to depict evil.

That's one of my gripe with story. It didn't go for shades of gray for villain, like it did for greed, envy etc.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Jan 29, 2022 10:09 AM

Feb 2020
He was a good villain in every way but he just wasn't a memorable villain honestly. I don't hate him but he is never the first villain I think of when talking about anime villains.
Jan 31, 2022 6:28 AM
Dec 2021
I mean his motives are pretty generic and his screen time is very low. I would say envy is the best FMAB antagonist.
Feb 2, 2022 7:11 PM
Sep 2021
Naah he was never that good....lacked personality...but fmab only had a few good characters....so that's understandable
Feb 2, 2022 7:16 PM

Sep 2021
I mean that was the whole point of it. He got rid of his sins and became bland/boring in the process and ordered around other far more interesting antagonists. Arakawa is really a genius.
Feb 3, 2022 2:05 PM
Jul 2021
AshitaNoJonas said:
I noticed that Father has only 76 favourites on this site, which surprised me since he was the main bad guy in FMAB, which is the best rated show and one of the most popular anime on MAL after all! Also I certainly don't see many people talk about him or have him as a profile avatar or something. The more I thought about, he really didn't leave that much of an impression on me... He was okay, but the other homunculi were far more interesting IMO, even the ones that didn't get much screen time. So what are your opinions on Father? Was he a worthy main villain for FMAB? Did the show deserve someone better? Or was he just a nice little extra to the plot, which was more focused on non-Father related things? (Sadly I don't remember much about FMA 03, so I can't really compare him to Dante).
He doesn't do that much during the series either and in the last arc he devalues ​​himself a lot

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

966 by Sa8119ra »»
Yesterday, 3:18 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

134 by LockHowl »»
May 3, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeviantKaos - Apr 25, 2010

332 by mjjones0 »»
May 3, 6:08 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kurotsuki - Apr 12, 2009

361 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 2, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 5, 2009

618 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 2, 3:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.