Forum Settings
Forums

Why are token boring badass characters so popular?

New
Jul 4, 2015 11:08 PM
Feb 2015
It seems every series has a few of these. They serve no purpose except maybe fanboy neckbeards insert themselves into the character and feel empowered as they stream from mom's basement. What other reasons would there be?

Another reason why Attack on Titan is great is because it lacks these character templates awkwardly inserted into storylines. Levi and Mikasa may be hardened and badasses in their own right but they each have their vulnerabilities as well so they don't appear as cutouts.
Jul 4, 2015 11:28 PM

Mar 2012
Because badass characters were always popular while whiny characters got a lot of hate.

there are few whiny character who act like realistic human being like Shinji Ikari from Evangelion.
There are whiny characters done wrong in unrealistic way like Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki.

btw badly-written badass characters were just self-insert wish-fulfillment plot device characters in my opinion.

Realistic characters = Actual Characters
Archetypes and Unrealistic characters = Plot Device
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Jul 4, 2015 11:30 PM

Jan 2015
Rimygod said:
It seems every series has a few of these. They serve no purpose except maybe fanboy neckbeards insert themselves into the character and feel empowered as they stream from mom's basement. What other reasons would there be?

Another reason why Attack on Titan is great is because it lacks these character templates awkwardly inserted into storylines. Levi and Mikasa may be hardened and badasses in their own right but they each have their vulnerabilities as well so they don't appear as cutouts.

Well, not every series has them but yeah, quite a few of them do.
I too, like characters who are cold and badass but they should have weakness and shouldn't be a Gary Stu.

I think the reason you mentioned is quite close to the truth.
I still don't understand why a few characters like that lead from Mirai Nikki is so popular even though all she is a psycho. There are many other examples of such characters.

But the thing is, there are quite a lot of idiotic and pathetic characters as well, mostly in harems.
Jul 4, 2015 11:33 PM
Jul 2018
Loli-Sazanami said:

Literally this.
Jul 4, 2015 11:48 PM

May 2012
Secret AoT worshiping thread lol.
Jul 4, 2015 11:48 PM

Aug 2014
Because most animefans are kids.
Jul 4, 2015 11:50 PM

Jun 2013
_Charl said:
Loli-Sazanami said:

Literally this.

Except standards of realism can vary so much that this is an empty statement... Last time I checked, there wasn't some sovereign authority on what defined realism.

Dynamic and round characters are another thing entirely, which is closer to what you two seem to be vying for.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 4, 2015 11:51 PM

Aug 2014
Because Rule of Cool
Jul 4, 2015 11:54 PM

Apr 2007
Rimygod said:
They serve no purpose except maybe fanboy neckbeards insert themselves into the character and feel empowered as they stream from mom's basement.

You answered your own question OP
Jul 5, 2015 12:00 AM

Nov 2014
It is because some people tend to project themselves onto the Anime characters and since the 'token boring badass characters' never fail at anything, people enjoy it since they feel they are amazing.
Orange, you say? That's the name of my loyalty!

All Hail Lelouch Vi Britannia!

Rip Wowaka...
Jul 5, 2015 12:09 AM

Sep 2009
Rimygod said:

could you give some examples of those token badass popular characters?
ARRRGGH!
Jul 5, 2015 1:02 AM

May 2015
You answered it yourself. People insert themselves into these character. They're there for people who want a wish-fulfillment fantasy, not to experience something new. It's the same story with 'strong female characters' aka generic action hero with the sex changed.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 5, 2015 1:04 AM

Jul 2007
Cause they are fun to watch and probably fun to write while taking relatively little effort to design or comprehend.
Jul 5, 2015 1:07 AM

Dec 2012
Rimygod said:

Levi and Mikasa may be hardened and badasses in their own right but they each have their vulnerabilities as well so they don't appear as cutouts.

Uh. They were first to come to mind, while reading the title, especially Levi.
Jul 5, 2015 1:07 AM

Jan 2015
Then y Natsume Takashi isnt popular?
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 5, 2015 1:08 AM

Aug 2013
Could be people are tired of spineless, whiny, useless pussy mcs. What weakness does Levi have? He kills Titans without breaking a sweat and like nothing fazes him.
Jul 5, 2015 1:10 AM

Apr 2013
Self insert for chuu2 audience. If they're too complicated and nuanced, it's going to be difficult to do self insert so they keep it simple and... boring indeed.
That kind of characters mostly appeal to chuu2 kids (age being secondary) though, so it's not like it's popular with everyone. But otaku and chuu2 often goes well together, I guess.
Jul 5, 2015 1:12 AM

Aug 2014
Fuck all those self-insert badasses, Levi and Mikasa is all we need!
Who cares about the totally bland likes of Kaiji and Guts when we have two amazing characters like them?!
Jul 5, 2015 1:14 AM

Aug 2014
Deus-Vult said:

Hey,natsume is popular!!XD
Jul 5, 2015 1:22 AM

Oct 2013
Mikasa is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Lol

DrGeroCreation said:
Could be people are tired of spineless, whiny, useless pussy mcs. What weakness does Levi have? He kills Titans without breaking a sweat and like nothing fazes him.

His weakness is getting his team mates killed and poor decision making. Lol
Jul 5, 2015 1:24 AM

Aug 2014
keragamming said:

DrGeroCreation said:

I think Levi should really work on that problem. Shit, Levi, GET IT TOGETHER!
Jul 5, 2015 1:34 AM

Jun 2014
How many of those characters do we have in the top 50 character list on this site? Lelouch?
L? Luffy? (lol, 'L' is a lucky letter)
Jul 5, 2015 1:41 AM

Aug 2013
keragamming said:

DrGeroCreation said:

Plus poor social skills. Talk about weakness.

Jul 5, 2015 1:52 AM

Jan 2015
mayura_loki said:
Deus-Vult said:

Hey,natsume is popular!!XD
I dunno but I cant see his popularity on other anime websites and FB pages
even most local anime fans in our contri dont know him or the show lmao
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 5, 2015 1:55 AM

Sep 2014
It could be worse...We could have an anime where It has a over-the-top- annoying whiny weak brat and a over-the-top damn annoying "badass" big-head jerk....

Jul 5, 2015 2:03 AM

Mar 2013
OP just wants confirmation and attention if ya ask me.
Jul 5, 2015 2:03 AM

Jul 2014
Because self insertion
Take care of yourself

Jul 5, 2015 2:04 AM

Jun 2014
Caboose said:
Cause they are fun to watch and probably fun to write while taking relatively little effort to design or comprehend.

Agreed that this would be the case, as their simplistic nature would work for the series.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 5, 2015 2:09 AM

Sep 2014
There better then your generic limp dick shinji ikari copy and pastes who feel sorry for themselves all the time. And clean slate nice guys who have the personality of a tree stump.
Jul 5, 2015 2:39 AM

Apr 2013
Balong said:
It could be worse...We could have an anime where It has a over-the-top- annoying whiny weak brat and a over-the-top damn annoying "badass" big-head jerk....

Somehow, I knew that show would be inside the spoiler tag, even though I didn't watch the anime, I don't know why xD

davinci12 said:
There better then your generic limp dick shinji ikari copy and pastes who feel sorry for themselves all the time. And clean slate nice guys who have the personality of a tree stump.

Lol. Properly made wimpy characters like shinji Ikari are leagues and leagues above in quality and interest above bland chuu2 OP characters like tatsuya.
Now, a WELL DONE Op character can be very nice. HWat was the last time I saw one in an anime.. I don't remember, sorry. Almost all the OP MC are bland in anime, unfortunately.
Jul 5, 2015 5:22 AM

May 2015
DrGeroCreation said:

At least the spineless whiny guys are unique to anime. Generic badasses are a-plenty in Western action film.

Besides, one extreme isn't better than the other. Both are boring, but a 'whiny pussy' will at least be in conflict with his environment. A badass just shoots his way through.
Jul 5, 2015 5:37 AM

Mar 2015
because forever alpha>forever beta.

but i don't care about character type TBH, all i need is character development.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 5, 2015 6:25 AM

Apr 2011
You know, it's been 2 years since Shingeki aired. I don't think people care about how much you love it anymore.... come to think of it, I don't think anyone would've cared 2 years ago either. If you wanna fangasm on Shingeki, just go it's board. I'm sure there are plenty of people still around over there.
Jul 5, 2015 6:29 AM

Dec 2012
How can someone be this ironic?
Jul 5, 2015 6:29 AM

Apr 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
How can someone be this ironic?

By being a fanboy.
Jul 5, 2015 7:38 AM

May 2015
Unyilkdr said:

Character type is pretty important. Starting from a character type can help you focus on where you want this character to go. A character type isn't a death sentence that means it'll be forever undeveloped.
Jul 5, 2015 7:52 AM

Mar 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Unyilkdr said:

Character type is pretty important. Starting from a character type can help you focus on where you want this character to go. A character type isn't a death sentence that means it'll be forever undeveloped.
excatly. the important is result. you can see a character have debut as very unlikeable character, but when how the story flow, it be very awesome character, and there are character that very good in the beginning, and become total mess in the end. character type is pole for start and how the result. even there is some character that don't have character development, but still have nice good result, because he can stand up their identity.
KumaJul 5, 2015 8:06 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 5, 2015 8:02 AM

Dec 2013
Asks why someone badass is popular
Makes subjectively better comparison of SnK
if not trolling, mentally challenged
Jul 5, 2015 8:16 AM

Feb 2010
Rimygod said:

LOL
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - Yesterday

31 by BerriesSan »»
12 seconds ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 6 hours ago

36 by Rinrinka »»
2 minutes ago

» Does it bother you to think how much time we burn waiting for new anime?

Zimmu - 60 minutes ago

14 by Zimmu »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list?

Cammell - 4 hours ago

34 by Rinrinka »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you care about gambling anime?

Cammell - 2 hours ago

11 by tchitchouan »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.