Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 4, 2015 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
Developed or published, doesn't matter.

>NB4 Shin Megami Tensei
>NB4 Persona

My favorite is Odin Sphere. Least favorite is Trauma Center.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 4, 2015 6:49 PM
Mar 2011
faves
purikura daisakusen
Majin Tensei 2
princess Crown

leet faves
persona 3 [ the band wagon game]
Persona 4
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 4, 2015 6:50 PM

Jun 2011
Persona 3 FES
Jul 4, 2015 7:08 PM

Oct 2012
SMT: Nocturne but Persona 3 Portable is the game that made me start looking at other Atlus franchises like Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor

I don't have a least favorite, well actually I do. Persona Q.
Jul 4, 2015 7:20 PM

Dec 2014
Although i love persona 3,
Persona 2 eternal punishment is my first :3

Then..
Raidou Kuzunoha vs the soulless army is quite good too, (i was starting to play the sequel vs king abaddon but my ps2 gave up on me XD )

And odin sphere is also good...
Jul 4, 2015 7:22 PM

Oct 2012
Oh and OP don't be a hipster if that was the reason for saying NB4 their 2 best and most succesful franchises. Also a game being published by Atlus does NOT make it an Atlus game because they had absolutely nothing to do with the game, they just took a smaller companies game and localized/managed its sales.
Catherine was MADE by Atlus but that horrible Game of Thrones games was not.
Jul 4, 2015 7:24 PM

May 2010
Democracy said:
Oh and OP don't be a hipster

Yeah but Odin Sphere was really good.

I really want a sequel. I loved Oswald...
Jul 4, 2015 7:26 PM

Oct 2012
Thrashinuva said:
Democracy said:
Oh and OP don't be a hipster

I personally don't see why so many people like it, I bought it digitally and found it extremely boring. It's probably because I played it for the first time in 2013 though and not when it was released.
Jul 4, 2015 7:27 PM

May 2010
Democracy said:
Thrashinuva said:

I personally don't see why so many people like it, I bought it digitally and found it extremely boring. It's probably because I played it for the first time in 2013 though and not when it was released.

Have you played Dragon Crown?

It's like Dragon Crown, only all the characters matter and there's a plot.
Jul 4, 2015 7:29 PM

Aug 2014
Etrian Odyssey
Jul 4, 2015 7:31 PM

Oct 2012
Thrashinuva said:
Democracy said:

Have you played Dragon Crown?

It's like Dragon Crown, only all the characters matter and there's a plot.

I did play Dragons Crown, I really liked it but I'm sure my reason for enjoying it was because I played the entire "campaign" local co-op with my cousins.
Jul 4, 2015 7:36 PM

Jun 2014
Persona 4 Golden
Jul 4, 2015 7:37 PM

Feb 2010
Radiant historia
Nocturne
SMT4

Fuck persona 3 and 4
Jul 4, 2015 7:41 PM

Jan 2013
Id say P3P/P4G, handheld versions for the win. Also when P5 comes out, that will be my new number #1.
Jul 4, 2015 8:00 PM

Mar 2013
SMT fan sure hate Persona. As for me I love them both.
Jul 4, 2015 8:11 PM

Jul 2010
Vanisher said:
Radiant historia
Nocturne
SMT4

Fuck persona 3 and 4

So edgy.
Jul 4, 2015 9:03 PM

Jun 2015
Since there's no such thing as a "hard" JRPG (lmfao at SMT dorks) I like the Persona series the most. Excited for 5.
Jul 4, 2015 9:09 PM

Jun 2009
The games are not hard persay weedfiend just long.

I have to admit I lean heavily towards Digital Devil, I enjoy that it has two parts and that it does not require the fusion skills the other games love so much.
Persona 3 will always have a special place in my heart.
However I enjoy Soul Hackers and Devil Survivor as well~

They have that new one coming out, Lost Dimension. I am pretty excited for it.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 4, 2015 9:15 PM

Jun 2015
Suzune-chan said:

I have to admit I lean heavily towards Digital Devil, I enjoy that it has two parts and that it does not require the fusion skills the other games love so much.

I've played enough JRPGs in my lifetime. Many. Games like Nocturne, SMTIV are a grind to get through. I enjoyed both, but it's still just a matter of grinding for experience and assembling the right team with the right skills. It comes down to reading guides or paying attention to the games mechanics. It isn't harder than Persona really, it just takes a hell of a lot longer to obtain a powerful team. With Persona I find the SoL stuff pretty entertaining, so that's a plus. When I'm sick of dungeoncrawling, there's another set of mechanics to play with and story rewards for doing so. I wouldn't mind the dungeon/battle aspect of Persona to match or even exceed the difficulty of the mainline SMT series but personally I don't think that will make the game more fun. More varieties in the way you can interact with the mechanics (assuming the game gives you proper reason to do so) will.
Jul 4, 2015 9:19 PM

Jun 2009
Indeed that is what I meant. If you have the patience to level up and learn the combos for the bosses the battles become easy. Not having the right team or the right strategy despite being ten levels higher then the boss will still net you a loss, so from that perspective people might say it is unforgiving. I do not disagree with you comment.

When I learned I needed null death and 3.5million coins in digital devil, it crossed my mind that the game was evil and hard though.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 4, 2015 9:21 PM

Feb 2010
xXxweedfiendxXx said:
Since there's no such thing as a "hard" JRPG (lmfao at SMT dorks) I like the Persona series the most. Excited for 5.

The moment you can say than one is harder than the other (and you can, no bs) the moment you could define them as "hard"

xXxweedfiendxXx said:
Suzune-chan said:

I've played enough JRPGs in my lifetime. Many. Games like Nocturne, SMTIV are a grind to get through. I enjoyed both, but it's still just a matter of grinding for experience and assembling the right team with the right skills. It comes down to reading guides or paying attention to the games mechanics. It isn't harder than Persona really, it just takes a hell of a lot longer to obtain a powerful team. With Persona I find the SoL stuff pretty entertaining, so that's a plus. When I'm sick of dungeoncrawling, there's another set of mechanics to play with and story rewards for doing so. I wouldn't mind the dungeon/battle aspect of Persona to match or even exceed the difficulty of the mainline SMT series but personally I don't think that will make the game more fun. More varieties in the way you can interact with the mechanics (assuming the game gives you proper reason to do so) will.

SMTIV is piss easy you don't need to grind at all.

You also don't need to grind in Nocturne if you are smart about building your team. I didn't need to, although it was my second playthrough after dropping the first one.

Just because you can solve things by grinding it doesn't mean the games doesn't have a difficulty, you could say the same stuff about souls games, and whoever says that you need to grind in souls games is awfully wrong.

Suzune-chan said:

Lost dimension y u not on ps4 :(
VanisherJul 4, 2015 9:33 PM
Jul 4, 2015 9:39 PM

Jun 2015
The grind in Nocturne and SMTIV is much longer than Persona, relatively. You don't need to spend any extra time on the way to bosses fighting mobs in 3 and 4, you can beeline even on the hardest difficulties. I wouldn't say the same thing about Souls games (I've beaten 1 and 2 up to NG++++++) because mechanical skill overrides any need for grinding. I've beaten the game at SL1, the nature of the mechanics makes it totally different from turn based RPGs.

Everything takes longer to do in SMT. Grinding doesn't just mean EXP grinding, it means negotiating to get the right demons, fusing, grabbing skills, everything is less forgiving and takes much longer than in the Persona series. I don't find that to increase the "fun" factor of engaging with the battle or dungeon mechanics at all. The difficulty in JRPGs comes from making bad or wrong decisions. I think I'm just worn out on turn based RPGs in general unless the systems are really unique or there's more to the rest of the game
Jul 4, 2015 9:54 PM

Feb 2010
xXxweedfiendxXx said:
The grind in Nocturne and SMTIV is much longer than Persona, relatively. You don't need to spend any extra time on the way to bosses fighting mobs in 3 and 4, you can beeline even on the hardest difficulties. I wouldn't say the same thing about Souls games (I've beaten 1 and 2 up to NG++++++) because mechanical skill overrides any need for grinding. I've beaten the game at SL1, the nature of the mechanics makes it totally different from turn based RPGs.

Everything takes longer to do in SMT. Grinding doesn't just mean EXP grinding, it means negotiating to get the right demons, fusing, grabbing skills, everything is less forgiving and takes much longer than in the Persona series. I don't find that to increase the "fun" factor of engaging with the battle or dungeon mechanics at all. The difficulty in JRPGs comes from making bad or wrong decisions. I think I'm just worn out on turn based RPGs in general unless the systems are really unique or there's more to the rest of the game

Well of course the effect of skill in souls games is year bigger than what you would find on turn based rpgs, but even then I still heard a lot of people saying that you "need" to grind in the souls games.

But fair enough, the "difficulty" of SMT does come from the decision making when building up your party (skills inheritance, fusing and such)
VanisherJul 4, 2015 10:05 PM
Jul 4, 2015 10:22 PM

Jan 2013
Democracy said:
Oh and OP don't be a hipster if that was the reason for saying NB4 their 2 best and most succesful franchises.
What? It was merely a prediction since they are the most successful ("best" though, hah, I scoff).
whatever said:
Also a game being published by Atlus does NOT make it an Atlus game because they had absolutely nothing to do with the game, they just took a smaller companies game and localized/managed its sales.
OkayCaim said:

whatever said:
Catherine was MADE by Atlus but that horrible Game of Thrones games was not.

lol giving the "Game of Thrones" label to anything with a dark atmosphere and medieval setting. Into the trash you go.
PeenusWeenusCaimJul 4, 2015 10:27 PM
Jul 4, 2015 10:27 PM

Feb 2010
I find Dragon Crown to be the best Vanillaware game I played, certainly better than Odin Sphere mechanically.

As for favorite Atlus game, it's going to be SMT 3: Nocturne.
Jul 4, 2015 10:27 PM

Feb 2015
Riviera: The Promised Land

though Atlus didn't really made the game but I liked this game.
Jul 4, 2015 11:25 PM
Mar 2011
xXxweedfiendxXx said:
Suzune-chan said:

SMTIV while the best game aluts have made since they loet there independence is still a week sauce game 100% 31:05 its not worthy of the name if you cpmare it ot how hard the first games were the first time yuou played them

[ usless you a save scumming emu noob]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 5, 2015 12:38 AM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
SMTIV while the best game aluts have made since they loet there independence is still a week sauce game 100% 31:05 its not worthy of the name if you cpmare it ot how hard the first games were the first time yuou played them

Difficulty doesn't mean quality though. Tactics Ogre, for example, is mind-numbingly easy but it's a very enjoyable JRPG.
Jul 5, 2015 1:18 AM

Apr 2013
Tactics Ogre for the PS1. Amazing game. I have never owned a PsP or Vita.
Jul 5, 2015 3:22 AM
Mar 2011
OkayCaim said:
FGAU1912 said:

Difficulty doesn't mean quality though. Tactics Ogre, for example, is mind-numbingly easy but it's a very enjoyable JRPG.

SMT was lwasy know for being good to great but aso being ball busters

SMT II being the best SMT nin the franchise a 20 year old game tok me 34 house to complte

1 hour per days for 34 days for a sufami game mind you for an last gen game to only take me 3 hour shorter to complate 100% show somthing does it not

Jul 5, 2015 3:30 AM
May 2015
Radiant Historia

Probably the best storyline in a game I've ever played.
Jul 5, 2015 4:59 AM

Jan 2015
No love for Etrian Odyssey?

Plebs.
Jul 5, 2015 6:55 AM

Jan 2013
OkayCaim said:
FGAU1912 said:

SMTIV sucked. Extremely Very short, chock full of DLC, and the battles weren't even that hard. I'm not a diehard fan of the series, so I can't see any of the appeal it has going for it.
Jul 5, 2015 7:08 AM

Sep 2012
Radiant Historia. One of the best RPG in the last generation and one of my favorite games.

Odin Sphere wasn't bad per say, but it was low budget and repetitive due to reusing the same assets for the sake of portraying different POV after the first story. Doesn't help that a lot of the characters have a very similar gameplay mechanics and movesets, so you pretty much played almost the same game 4 times before the ending arc/chapter. I will admit the artstyle was charming and the characters were pretty decent though, but even with those it got really boring after a while.
Jul 5, 2015 7:17 AM

Jan 2009
Catherine.
Jul 5, 2015 7:21 AM
Mar 2011
Syrup- said:
OkayCaim said:
SMTIV sucked. Extremely Very short, chock full of DLC, and the battles weren't even that hard. I'm not a diehard fan of the series, so I can't see any of the appeal it has going for it.

its better than p4 and p3

Jul 5, 2015 8:26 AM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
Syrup- said:

suuuuuuuuure.
Syrup-Jul 5, 2015 8:30 AM
Jul 5, 2015 8:28 AM
Mar 2011
Syrup- said:
FGAU1912 said:

suuuuuuuuure

it is very much much better

Jul 5, 2015 8:31 AM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
Syrup- said:
suuuuuuuuure

A game with barely any artistic direction, crappy musical score, boring plot that has been done to death in literature and other works of fiction, terrible dialogue, and repetitive uninteresting gameplay, let's just call that better than Persona 3 or 4.

SMTIV was the weakest title I have played in the entire Atlus repertoire
Jul 5, 2015 8:34 AM

Feb 2010
>SMTIV
>crappy musical score

Stopped reading there.
Jul 5, 2015 8:35 AM

Jan 2013
Vanisher said:
>SMTIV
>crappy musical score

Stopped reading there.
>le may may arrows

get out
Jul 5, 2015 8:37 AM
Mar 2011
Syrup- said:
FGAU1912 said:

A game with barely any artistic direction, crappy musical score, boring plot that has been done to death in literature and other works of fiction, terrible dialogue, and repetitive uninteresting gameplay, let's just call that better than Persona 3 or 4.

SMTIV was the weakest title I have played in the entire Atlus repertoire

what game related to mega ten have t yo played

iv smt iv was a conlse or pc and not a hand held it would be as long as that

im sorry i art the art in Persona the fact its connte c the mega tensei my marketing in the west sickens me the the core

it to light hart an art style des not fit mega ten
while SMTIV had proper art

and you played the two Pc games i the franchise just to ask

Jul 5, 2015 8:40 AM
Mar 2011
and over all atlus is just a name that is owned by sammy tha have not had there Independence since 2005

atlus 1986-2005

DateYutakaJul 5, 2015 8:44 AM

Jul 5, 2015 8:53 AM

Jan 2013
Doesn't really matter if I've played the other titles in the franchise. I intended to start with that one, and even went in knowing that it was nothing like Persona. I think the setting of the SMT franchise is great, but SMT4 was just a terrible experience in my opinion. Atlus has way better to offer.

I just don't see how SMT4 was great, maybe it's just because of the hype train you had to be around for or something. I'm not writing off the series at all. I do intend to play the other titles, but SMT4 was just not my cup of tea at all.

FGAU1912 said:
it to light hart an art style des not fit mega ten
while SMTIV had proper art
Don't you think that's why they're doing it? So that people can differentiate between Persona and SMT? It's the same series but I wouldn't really say they belong to each other very well.
Jul 5, 2015 9:09 AM
Mar 2011
Syrup- said:
Doesn't really matter if I've played the other titles in the franchise. I intended to start with that one, and even went in knowing that it was nothing like Persona. I think the setting of the SMT franchise is great, but SMT4 was just a terrible experience in my opinion. Atlus has way better to offer.

I just don't see how SMT4 was great, maybe it's just because of the hype train you had to be around for or something. I'm not writing off the series at all. I do intend to play the other titles, but SMT4 was just not my cup of tea at all.

i began with majin tensei and played the collection of the first two mega tensei gams i was one when thye first came out the i played SMT and fell in love with the SMT line but the best tensei game [ i can say with no nostgia cause i did no play it to compltion till year 2000] Gilten for the PC 98

and yes the first ever mega ten[ franchise anime was was not based on a very well know gamea at all]

im alos with huge tinges of nostalgia a huge fan of soul hackers for the Saturn and i hate the fact the port for 3ds was form the psx version witch sucked the added conent did not enhace the PSX port at all cuase the PSX was less poerfull than the satrun so the psx version loding times killind the pacing

so the ds port os better tha the version its ported from but over all making ot the same quity of the saturn version but with the added conennt of the psx version[ that was later resed on the satrun on its own disc any way all the added conest mean

Jul 5, 2015 9:34 AM

Feb 2010
Syrup- said:

I just don't see how SMT4 was great, maybe it's just because of the hype train you had to be around for or something..

Or maybe some people just disagree with what you said above?
Jul 5, 2015 9:50 AM

Jan 2013
Vanisher said:
Syrup- said:

I just don't see how SMT4 was great, maybe it's just because of the hype train you had to be around for or something..

Or maybe some people just disagree with what you said above?
I wasn't born yesterday. I know people will disagree with me, and I realize how much of a fanbase there is for not just the fourth game, but the entire series. What I was asking for was reasons why SMT4 should even be considered worth playing, since I played all the way through it and couldn't find anything to like about it. Why do people like this game? I'm not busting balls here dude.
Jul 5, 2015 10:43 AM

Jan 2015
Catherine
It was such an unique game
Jul 5, 2015 10:46 AM

Jun 2014
Trauma Center

that part with the suicidal girl fuckin' assassinated me
Jul 5, 2015 10:49 AM

Aug 2014
OkayCaim said:

>NB4 Shin Megami Tensei
>NB4 Persona

My favorite is Odin Sphere. Least favorite is Trauma Center.

Lol, everytime you create a thread there's a war :P
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
17 minutes ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.