Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 4, 2015 10:47 AM
Apr 2014
Since most wars in this word is either caused by Nationalism (like ww1), religion (like the crusader) or both (like the Israeli–Palestinian conflict). Which do you think have caused more pain to the human race?
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2015 10:48 AM

Jan 2011
I think they are both needed.
Jul 4, 2015 10:49 AM

May 2014
Greed
I've been here way too long...
Jul 4, 2015 10:54 AM

Jan 2014
You forgot the most common factor between them though: humanity.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 4, 2015 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
Both religion and nationalism can take both harmless and harmful forms. It depends heavily if it is being used to manipulate people and for what purpose.
I don't have a signature.
Jul 4, 2015 10:55 AM

Oct 2012
Blame the Buddhists
?

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Jul 4, 2015 10:57 AM

Jul 2014
Doesn't matter we need both in order to get population down as much as possible we already on the limits of overpopulation and climate change. Religion likes to be influential on nationalistic policies and beliefs whichever is the trigger. Why does it matter which is worse if you believe in your God you will most likely believe you will go to paradise away from this living hell anyways.
Jul 4, 2015 11:00 AM
Oct 2014
Religion itself is rarely the cause of war. Neither is nationalism. War isn't always a bad thing either.

America has started wars in the name of freedom. Rome started war in the name of God. Objectively, there is no differences really.

Jul 4, 2015 11:08 AM

Dec 2014
Jul 4, 2015 11:10 AM

Jan 2011
Rarusu_ said:
Rome started war in the name of God.

O.O Are you sure? Which war? Aren't you confusing with Crusades?
Jul 4, 2015 11:14 AM
Feb 2014
Religion by leagues. At least nationalism can come with healthy tones. Religion today is overly discriminatory when it shouldn't be.
Jul 4, 2015 11:21 AM
Oct 2014
DeathNyx said:
Rarusu_ said:

Same shit diffetent names. But it's not only Rome which has fought war in the name of God.

Jul 4, 2015 11:23 AM

May 2014
DeathNyx said:
Rarusu_ said:

Might be referring to the Holy Roman Empire, not exactly ancient Rome but still true
I've been here way too long...
Jul 4, 2015 11:24 AM

Jan 2013
TheBasedNico said:
Religion by leagues. At least nationalism can come with healthy tones. Religion today is overly discriminatory when it shouldn't be.

A friend of mine is Christian but one of the most progressive people I know, discrimination caused by religion really depends on the denomination.
Jul 4, 2015 11:26 AM
Feb 2014
ixsetf said:
TheBasedNico said:

A friend of mine is Christian but one of the most progressive people I know, discrimination caused by religion really depends on the denomination.

As an Agnostic Baptist I know there are some batshit crazies in our denomination. But our church doesn't discriminate at all.
Jul 4, 2015 11:30 AM

Jan 2015
Rarusu_ said:
Religion itself is rarely the cause of war. Neither is nationalism. War isn't always a bad thing either.

America has started wars in the name of freedom. Rome started war in the name of God. Objectively, there is no differences really.

^this

Nationalism & Religion can have their dirty side.

Relevant to the topic, I would pick Religion > Nationalism simply because religion transcend national/ethnic boundaries thereby uniting a portion of humanity under a common belief.
Jul 4, 2015 11:31 AM

Feb 2013
Religion.
At least nationalists aren't believing the tellings of some fictional book and worshipping some false god.
Jul 4, 2015 11:34 AM

Jan 2013
TheBasedNico said:
As an Agnostic Baptist I know there are some batshit crazies in our denomination. But our church doesn't discriminate at all.

It seems to me that they are using their religion as an excuse to hate, hard to say if you should blame the individuals or religion in that case.
Jul 4, 2015 11:35 AM

Jan 2011
Hahahah morons.

Jan 2011
TheConquerer said:
DeathNyx said:

Might be referring to the Holy Roman Empire, not exactly ancient Rome but still true

If he means the crusades then they were fought by different states (HRE too). But usually were Popes who proclaimed crusades. I though he meant Ancient Rome.

Mar 2014
Neither. While people circlejerk against religion, they fail to realize that 90% of the wars were caused by:
1. Women.
2. Money.
3. Power.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 4, 2015 11:38 AM
Feb 2014
ixsetf said:
TheBasedNico said:

It seems to me that they are using their religion as an excuse to hate, hard to say if you should blame the individuals or religion in that case.

Definitely individuals, but their source materials which come from religion itself are tantamount to given a bad name. This thread in the end just boils down to personal opinion. Both can be good both can be bad, but I've seen worse from religion as opposed to a nation's flag.
TyrelJul 4, 2015 2:34 PM
Jul 4, 2015 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think Nationalism or Religion are bad things by themselves. It depends on people how they use it in their lives. Because of these both things, there have been wars, suffering and much more, yeah. But is reckless to say that they're both bad and ignoring the most important thing: people give them the meaning.
Jul 4, 2015 12:10 PM

Jan 2015
nachonaan said:
I don't think Nationalism or Religion are bad things by themselves. It depends on people how they use it in their lives. Because of these both things, there have been wars, suffering and much more, yeah. But is reckless to say that they're both bad and ignoring the most important thing: people give them the meaning.

Typical cliche. Humanity's true enemy is itself.
Jul 4, 2015 12:10 PM
Feb 2014
danielpham said:
nachonaan said:

Typical cliche. Humanity's true enemy is itself.

Usually it's right.
Jul 4, 2015 12:14 PM

Jan 2014
TheBasedNico said:
ixsetf said:

Definitely individuals, but their source materials which come from religion itself are tantamount to given a bad name. This thread in the end just boils down to personal opinion. Both can be good both can be bad, but I've seen worse from religion as opposed to a nation's flag.

Well, considering Stalin's massacres were committed to have a united Soviet Union, one could argue that that far transcends anything you could attribute to a religious cause (unless you want to label it as an anti-religious atrocity which would still be accurate.)
Hail the Hammer and Sickle!

Sub in Mao in China and you still have a national reason.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 4, 2015 12:15 PM

Oct 2012
RedRoseFring said:
TheBasedNico said:

Well, considering Stalin's massacres were committed to have a united Soviet Union, one could argue that that far transcends anything you could attribute to a religious cause (unless you want to label it as an anti-religious atrocity which would still be accurate.)

Stalin did nothing wrong though...

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Jul 4, 2015 12:15 PM

Dec 2012
Both of them make me puke so...
Jul 4, 2015 12:16 PM

Jan 2014
Involtus said:
RedRoseFring said:

Stalin did nothing wrong though...

So much red though. Not easy on the eyes.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jul 4, 2015 12:38 PM

Mar 2014
TheBasedNico said:

2-methylgeniol said:
Neither. While people circlejerk against religion, they fail to realize that 90% of the wars were caused by:
1. Women.
2. Money.
3. Power.

If having a credible opinion tantamount to being edgy. Then you're in for some domestic violence.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 4, 2015 12:40 PM

Oct 2011
Depends on the religion.

Islam is the worst of all, then nationalism, then Christianity, then Buddhism, so on.
Jul 4, 2015 1:43 PM

Nov 2014
To some extent both are needed, i guess. At some point the two become violent and unnecessary.
Jul 4, 2015 1:54 PM

Feb 2015
Olwen said:
Depends on the religion.

Islam is the worst of all, then nationalism, then Christianity, then Buddhism, so on.

No, Christianity is not even bad. You think so because you have so little knowledge about the religion. You can barely interpret anything from the bible let alone judge the religion.
Hello
Jul 4, 2015 1:55 PM

Aug 2014
Both are essencialy just forms of love :p

But people can make shit, of course.
Jul 4, 2015 1:56 PM

May 2012
2-methylgeniol said:
1. Women.
2. Money.
3. Power.

This is misogyny right here. You go Genio!
Jul 4, 2015 1:58 PM
Apr 2014
2-methylgeniol said:

1. Women.
2. Money.
3. Power.
???
Jul 4, 2015 1:58 PM

Feb 2015
alkchf said:

Religion is not a form of love. You are making shit up..just as you say people can.
Hello
Jul 4, 2015 2:00 PM

Oct 2011
teruu said:
Olwen said:
Depends on the religion.

No, Christianity is not even bad. You think so because you have so little knowledge about the religion. You can barely interpret anything from the bible let alone judge the religion.

Really?
Jul 4, 2015 2:02 PM

Aug 2014
teruu said:
alkchf said:

Religion is not a form of love. You are making shit up..just as you say people can.

Love of live itselft, love for others, love for "what's right"?
Jul 4, 2015 2:05 PM

Feb 2015
Olwen said:
teruu said:

Really?

Yes. You are quite close/ same as..those people who imagine that other individuals blindly follow after religion indiscriminately neglecting to understand that they are also blindly not following after religion. These individuals are presumptuous and neglect to understand the birthplace of anything. There is a reason behind everything, .. for example, those Christians who are knowledgeable about the religion would also know why homosexuality is a sin.
Hello
Jul 4, 2015 2:06 PM

Feb 2015
alkchf said:
teruu said:

Religion is a collection of beliefs and ordeals that show the follower the meaning and the purpose of life with its set of guidance. Religion can often promote love however that doesn't mean religion is a form of love.
Hello
Jul 4, 2015 2:07 PM

May 2014
Gholy said:
2-methylgeniol said:

1. Women.
2. Money.
3. Power.
???

yes believe it, some wars in history were caused by women and lust in general i guess , Cleopatra anyone ??
lol i dunno why he went as far to say women though :P since the actual reason is horny-ness.
Jul 4, 2015 2:10 PM

Mar 2014
ZA_WAYD said:
Gholy said:
???

yes believe it, some wars in history were caused by women and lust in general i guess , Cleopatra anyone ??
lol i dunno why he went as far to say women though :P since the actual reason is horny-ness.

Horny-ness would have made my post seem comical. Do I really have to be that specific?

Ok.

1. Hornyness/Lust
2. Bank accounts.
3. P=VI
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 4, 2015 2:12 PM

Feb 2015
ZA_WAYD said:
Gholy said:
???

Uh no. In the past customarily, the royalties had to wed another of their own and their was no other choice at that moment because of their notoriety and status. .. Wars had been amounted by that.
Hello
Jul 4, 2015 2:12 PM
Apr 2014
ZA_WAYD said:
He said 90% of wars are caused by women, money, and power. Money and power kinda make sense but putting women of all things is kinda ridiculous.
Jul 4, 2015 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
TheBasedNico said:

Implying being over discriminatory is a bad thing.
Jul 4, 2015 2:15 PM

Mar 2014
Gholy said:
ZA_WAYD said:
He said 90% of wars are caused by women, money, and power. Money and power kinda make sense but putting women of all things is kinda ridiculous.

Lay aside the inner SJW and heed this:

Read the history.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 4, 2015 2:16 PM

Aug 2014
teruu said:
alkchf said:

Religion is a collection of beliefs and ordeals that show the follower the meaning and the purpose of life with its set of guidance. Religion can often promote love however that doesn't mean religion is a form of love.

That's your definition ;)

One could go and say something along the lines of

"a religion is a 'belief system', a special kind of [deductive] logical system, founded upon faith and other arbitrary principles, concerned with evaluating all kinds of sentences relative to human life",

and that would be ok too.

It's still love.
Jul 4, 2015 2:18 PM
Apr 2014
2-methylgeniol said:

Read the history.
WWII? Mongol Empire? Taiping Rebellion? WWI? Chinese Civil War?
Dunno what women have to do with those wars, and those were among the bloodiest wars in history.
Jul 4, 2015 2:20 PM

Mar 2014
Gholy said:
2-methylgeniol said:

Read the history.
WWII? Mongol Empire? Taiping Rebellion? WWI? Chinese Civil War?
Dunno what women have to do with those wars, and those were among the bloodiest wars in history.

Don't know what Religion had to do with them either. Underlying causes, friend. 'Women' will never be stated as the biggest cause of a war. But it was a cause nonetheless. Many arguably small wars were waged on the dispute of women especially in the Indian region.
~Oscar
[/i]
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
34 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
50 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
56 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.