Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2015 6:11 AM

Sep 2013
Hulohot said:
I watch dubs because:

-They sometimes sound better than the original.
-Can watch it with friends who are not fans of chinese cartoons.
-I practice my english since it's not my native langauge.
-I don't care about the autenticity of the chinese cartoons, i watch what i feel fits best/sounds best for me.
Jun 23, 2015 6:45 AM
Aug 2013
This is something that I have asked many friends of mine and few have replied with: 'It sounds way better than the subbed version'. I face palm at them when they say that.

My reply/post is from when anime dubbing was jsut getting it (kind of) when I was growing up.

I am a bit of both as I like sub & dub animes (except hentai, it must be subbed). :D
Most of the anime I watch is subbed - mainly because it is newly released. If it is an anime that is been out for a while then I will watch either the dubbed or subbed version. All depends on which I hear first and which one suits the anime/characters.

Some animes that were dubbed were either filtered/butched as some scenes/themes are deemed inappropriate by western companies (4 Kids and english dubbing companies - Sorry guys, No offence - except 4 Kids). Examples of animes that were butched: Cardcaptor Sakura, One Piece, Pokemon.

Or it takes the dubbing companies too long to license and release the anime. (Some of those animes took forever).

Even the classification that some animes were given was not right either
Example: The old version of Salior Moon was rated G - There were scenes that suggested hentai. Tentacle/Monster hentai. (Love tentacle hentai!)

However, not all dubs are horrible some can be awesome. Examples: Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Genshiken, Death Note are just to name a few.
Not to mention now a days, dubbing companies are streaming dubbed versions of anime that are currently being aired in japan.

Conclusion:
In the end, it is up to the individual to choose which they prefer more. The choice is yours.
Jun 23, 2015 9:18 AM

Nov 2014
Nope I don't watch but when I do, it was on our native language on Television.
Jun 23, 2015 9:21 AM

May 2013
For me, the English voices are almost always better. That's all it boils down to really, nothing complicated like.
Jun 23, 2015 9:40 AM

Apr 2015
It's a language I speak and understand nuances in the Way people Express themselves.
Jun 23, 2015 9:41 AM
May 2015
The majority of the time I'm multitasking while watching anime. It's hard to read subtitles and do other things at the same time, so I favor dubs. Honestly, I don't care for authenticity. I don't see the difference in watching a show in a different language, it is the same show after all. I'll only go for sub if there 's no dubbed version or if the english voices sound really awkward on the characters. Nevertheless, I enjoy both sub and dub equally.
prettythoughtsJun 23, 2015 3:23 PM
Jun 23, 2015 1:05 PM
Dec 2013
Because I prefer to watch anime; not read it. Basically, dubs let me focus 100% on what is happening on the screen. It's also easier for me to listen to the characters speaking than reading what they're saying, while with subtitles, I have to read them fast enough before they go, and I sometimes fumble on a word, thinking that it read something else.
Jun 23, 2015 1:06 PM

May 2013
Some of the voice actors have pretty sexy voices.
Jun 23, 2015 1:10 PM

Oct 2014
I don't watch dubs very often because not much anime is dubbed. On the rare occasion that I decide to watch an anime that has a dub, I check to see if people liked the dub. If people did, then I watch the first episode dubbed to see if I think it's good. I don't want to miss out on a good dub, but I also wouldn't want to watch through a bad one.
Jun 23, 2015 1:14 PM

Feb 2013
I don't.
Jun 23, 2015 1:59 PM

Dec 2014
I don't, but if I were 100% Engrish, I would.

Jun 23, 2015 2:09 PM

Oct 2014
Tsumuugii said:
You should watch Kiniro Mosaic if you like Engrish. Moetan has some Engrish too, but it's not quite as good as Kinmoza's.
Jun 23, 2015 6:15 PM

Nov 2014
Just a thought, I started anime subbed. Is it that hard to read? At first, on rare ocassions I would miss a sentence or two. But after just watching a hundred episodes (which was Gash Bell at that time), I got used to it. Reading subtitles became natural.

Also isn't it just convenient to just watch all anime subbed? The seasonal anime or some of stuff that just finished airing might not have a dub soon or will not even have one at all.

Note: This mostly targets people that only watch dubs. If you are the type that watches both depending on which is better, than this doesn't really apply.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 23, 2015 6:35 PM

Jun 2014
Ulquiorra1923 said:
I don't.
Jun 23, 2015 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
Tsumuugii said:
You should watch Kiniro Mosaic if you like Engrish. Moetan has some Engrish too, but it's not quite as good as Kinmoza's.

I'm not lolicon :<
Jun 23, 2015 6:54 PM

Dec 2012
Comic_Sans said:
Epicenter said:
They don't particularly distract me, I just find it unnatural and not how shows should be observed.
Yes, because watching a movie taking place in Russia, with Russian actors with Russian names, and hearing them speak in a language that isn't Russian, with voices that aren't even their own and unsynced mouth flaps that don't even match what you hear them saying is SO much more natural
I with dubs you can just kick back and observe things naturally.
And you can do the exact same thing while watching something subbed, unless you have the reading capacity of a five-year-old or have exseciv redign conprension porblems

Just because you don't notice what you're missing doesn't mean it's not there. Even if you were to think that the small part of the screen the subs block is inconsequential he still has a valid point that you can see more of the picture when they're gone.
KruszerJun 23, 2015 7:12 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 23, 2015 8:08 PM

May 2015
Lemongrope said:
SNaG21 said:

To be fair, AFAIK, Afro Samurai is English only. It's an anime but English first.

Exactly.

+1
Jun 23, 2015 8:10 PM

Nov 2014
Watching dubbed anime because of tired reading the subtitles..... lol'ed..
Jun 23, 2015 8:11 PM

Jun 2014
So I can actually watch the show rather then the subtitles at the bottom.
Jun 23, 2015 8:14 PM

Aug 2014
Because I just cant stand animes where the characters, specially the main characters, are 14 and older and are voiced by chicks. At least the dub makes males dub them
Jun 23, 2015 8:19 PM

Jan 2015
cuz Im not Japones
and i dnt understand Japones

but mostly, I watch subs instead cuz titles like Vampire Holmes and Inferno Cop are impossible to hav dubs
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 23, 2015 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
Lemongrope said:
To the people without learning disabilities or visual problems that affect their ability to read subtitles, I ask you this - why?

Is authenticity and having the correct intonations and pacing to match the mood not important to you? Does the weird contrast between cultural cues and language not bother you?

Please enlighten me.

I'm near-sighted so if I want to read the subtitles on something, I have to wear my glasses unless I'm watching from something like a Nintendo 3DS/tablet/phone etc. Which is fine, most of the time I just do that anyway, but I can also be pretty damn lazy so I'll watch a dub if I don't feel like getting them.

As far as the stuff like authenticity, correct intonation etc goes, as long as it gets the same general message across, the differences don't bother me too much.
Jun 23, 2015 9:19 PM
Jul 2014
I hate dub because most of them have the characters talking in a monotone. Also, Highschool DxD has Koneko's voice not matching her face.
Jun 23, 2015 11:48 PM

Mar 2012
I speak English and I'm not a faggot. That's basically it.
Jun 24, 2015 12:05 AM

Feb 2015
Maybe because dubbed version make easier to understand..
Unsigned signature-
Jun 24, 2015 12:19 AM

Oct 2009
Sometimes I would rather not read.
Jul 3, 2015 10:49 AM

Jun 2015
I used to watch dub anime when I was little, like 10 yo, cause I wasn't able to keep up with the sub. Nowadays I only watch sub animes.
Jul 4, 2015 3:19 AM
May 2015
I don't really lean either way and will watch either. I think blindly choosing one or the other shows a lack of objectivity.

Choose what works for you. If you don't want to read subs or struggle, its fine. Prefer to watch in Japanese, its fine. I don't get the need to be all superior about it or make out the other side is stupid or wrong.

Personally, I prefer to watch stuff in my native tongue because I feel like I can relax and just take it in. So if a dub is available, I'll check it out. Whether I will watch the dub or sub depends on whether the dub works. It doesn't need to be perfect, but if its serviceable and of a fairly high quality, I'll watch it.

If it sounds bad, has poor translation or the voice actors sound "off", then I'll watch the sub.
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Jul 4, 2015 3:27 AM

Jan 2013
I watched dubbed anime when I'm too lazy to change things.

Alternatively I watched dubbed anime because I'm too lazy to read.
Jul 4, 2015 3:32 AM

Aug 2014
I speak English, not Japanese. Plus, I'd rather pay attention to what happens on the screen rather than being busy reading the subtitles. Easy.
Jul 4, 2015 3:41 AM

Jul 2013
I watch them because it's easier as a person who doesn't speak Japanese but does speak English.

I tried watching Code Geass years ago subbed because I was told it was better and gave up because I had to keep rewinding it because they spoke to fast so I kept missing some subtitles and I couldn't concentrate on the action. I think I am going to try it dubbed sometime though.

I do watch subs sometimes if it's only subbed or maybe I don't think it will be dubbed.
Jul 4, 2015 3:59 AM

Oct 2014
Fizix said:
I don't really lean either way and will watch either. I think blindly choosing one or the other shows a lack of objectivity.

Choose what works for you. If you don't want to read subs or struggle, its fine. Prefer to watch in Japanese, its fine. I don't get the need to be all superior about it or make out the other side is stupid or wrong.

Personally, I prefer to watch stuff in my native tongue because I feel like I can relax and just take it in. So if a dub is available, I'll check it out. Whether I will watch the dub or sub depends on whether the dub works. It doesn't need to be perfect, but if its serviceable and of a fairly high quality, I'll watch it.

If it sounds bad, has poor translation or the voice actors sound "off", then I'll watch the sub.

It really is as simple as you said. It's up to the viewers themselves to choose whichever one they feel like watching. But for some reason, a lot of people seem like they're unable to accept that and would badmouth others for their choices.
Jul 4, 2015 4:30 AM

Sep 2014
To laugh at how bad it is.

レムって、誰のこと?
Jul 4, 2015 6:48 AM

Jul 2014
Most likely i will watch eng dub after ive seen it in japanese subs so i can focus on the "bigger picture".
Aug 23, 2015 11:50 PM

Mar 2014
Kruszer said:
Just because you don't notice what you're missing doesn't mean it's not there.
>Implying I never watch movies and tv series without subtitles
Even if you were to think that the small part of the screen the subs block is inconsequential he still has a valid point that you can see more of the picture when they're gone.
How much more... Like 3-7 %? That isn't much compared to changing the whole audio track. You see, "observing the pictures" are not the only part of "the bigger picture". The audio and performances of the actual actors are part of it too. When you watch a live action movie dubbed, a big part of that picture gets completely lost. Therefore you get to "observe the bigger picture" more when you watch something subtitled with the original voices than when you watch something dubbed

Edit: just realized I necro'd an old thread. Whoops. Don't kill me pls
Comic_SansAug 23, 2015 11:57 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 23, 2015 11:52 PM
May 2015
English is my mother tongue. When the option is available, why would I choose to watch something with subtitles when I can just watch it dubbed in my native language?
Aug 23, 2015 11:52 PM

Sep 2013
i will never again lower myself to such a level as watching dubbed anime. I was dumb as a kid.
wow
Aug 23, 2015 11:55 PM
Aug 2015
I watch dub of complete series, and watch sub for ongoing series, it's just my thing.
"Those who don't understand true pain, will never understand true peace...." - Pain
Aug 24, 2015 3:08 AM
May 2009
To learn another language, and to see how it compares.
And how the translations compare.
Also to experience the same anime in a new way.
shintai88Aug 24, 2015 7:53 AM
Aug 24, 2015 3:12 AM

Jul 2013
Fuck dubs, with all their shitty Amurican voice cunts.
Aug 24, 2015 7:12 AM

Aug 2015
If there is a dubbed version I'll watch it, if not I'll watch it subbed and i have no problem with dub of subs; However, exceptions such as Cardcaptor Sakura and Yugioh where the dub toned down many key points of the plot, i watched both subbed with no problem but i doubt this may be the case with anime nowadays.
Aug 24, 2015 7:18 AM

Aug 2015
Voidling said:
I speak English, not Japanese. Plus, I'd rather pay attention to what happens on the screen rather than being busy reading the subtitles. Easy.
True, Sometimes subtitles get way fast that you may lose some important plot points.
Aug 24, 2015 7:42 AM

Dec 2014
Um because I like dub? Lol. Though my reason varies. (Plus I want to be a voice actor)
Aug 24, 2015 7:43 AM

Dec 2014
Sors said:
Fuck dubs, with all their shitty Amurican voice cunts.
Buzz off weeb.
Aug 24, 2015 7:44 AM

Aug 2013
It's useful if you want to multitask or play anime as background noise.
Aug 24, 2015 8:44 AM

Jul 2015
I watch subs as well, but if there's a dub I usually pick that. I'm just lazy and don't feel like reading subtitles, especially when I stay up late watching something.
Aug 24, 2015 8:57 AM

Oct 2014
Well let's see because I wanna watch the anime not the subs
Aug 24, 2015 9:00 AM
Aug 2015
I watch dubs so I can pay attention more on what they are saying then just reading the subtitles...
Aug 24, 2015 9:17 AM
May 2015
i watch dub anime to take a break from the subs that i watch or if im lazy i just watch dub anime
Aug 24, 2015 9:19 AM

May 2014
to laugh at it. ha

The best english dub i heard was from an anime video game.
quit jacking off on your waifu, you disgusting weaboo
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by Toooooooooohru »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
14 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

8 by mizukasa »»
15 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.