Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 20, 2015 3:07 PM

May 2015
Hello again MAL. Yet another thread by me!

Whenever I am bored and feel like checking the casual discussions on MAL I always, without a doubt, find a thread about: religion, life and just deep topics in general. I find some of them quite interesting, really. However, I cannot help but wonder why these discussions only exist on the internet, and not IRL.

So my question is…why are people on the internet so deep?

This might just be something that I have noticed. Feel free to disagree with my statement.

("deep" as in, philosophical -ish)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 20, 2015 3:18 PM

May 2015
Lencurryboy said:
you don't feel as embarrassed when you're anonymous or at least behind a computer screen. also, a lot of people are online in the middle of the night and in my experience people tend to be more deep at 3 am than at 3 pm lol

Ah, so it's about being anonymous...

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
NTADJun 20, 2015 4:17 PM
Jun 20, 2015 3:19 PM

Jan 2009
as for the topic ye i agree because of anonymity, i myself do not talk about current events too much in real life but my internet self is different
NTADJun 20, 2015 4:17 PM
Jun 20, 2015 3:39 PM
Feb 2014
In many occasions, they actually aren't. It's just they've more time to think what they write, regardless the content.
Jun 20, 2015 3:40 PM

May 2015
Math-chan said:
In many occasions, they actually aren't. It's just they've more time to think what they write, regardless the content.

Ah, I see. That's a good point.
Jun 20, 2015 4:18 PM

Feb 2013
Thread Cleaned and Moved
Jun 20, 2015 4:19 PM

May 2015
NTAD said:
Thread Cleaned and Moved

Thank you!
Jun 20, 2015 4:26 PM

May 2015
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
Did you seriously just thank a mod? Wow.

Yeah, because I was the one who asked if they could move my thread.

Why is it so weird?
Jun 20, 2015 4:30 PM

Mar 2014
If you don't discuss religion, philosophy, science or just general 'deep' topics in real life, then it simply means your friends are dull.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jun 20, 2015 4:31 PM

Apr 2015
2-methylgeniol said:
If you don't discuss religion, philosophy, science or just general 'deep' topics in real life, then it simply means your friends are dull.

Or the friends are just not that smart.
Jun 20, 2015 4:32 PM

May 2015
2-methylgeniol said:

Really? So you discuss such things frequently?

Well, I do discuss such things with a very close friend, but my other friends aren't really interested in such stuff.
Jun 20, 2015 4:42 PM

Mar 2014
manimesuki said:
2-methylgeniol said:

Well, I do discuss such things with a very close friend, but my other friends aren't really interested in such stuff.

Yes. However, its usually just me who bring this stuff up. It's hard to find friends who are willing to discuss these things any time but trust me, those are the friends that are actually worth your friendship. I've had two online friends, one from Gaza and the other from Iran and to be honest, I prefer them over most of my real life friends. I usually stick with only those friends who are capable of discussing such things.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jun 20, 2015 4:46 PM

May 2015
2-methylgeniol said:
manimesuki said:

Yes. However, its usually just me who bring this stuff up. It's hard to find friends who are willing to discuss these things any time but trust me, those are the friends that are actually worth your friendship. I've had two online friends, one from Gaza and the other from Iran and to be honest, I prefer them over most of my real life friends. I usually stick with only those friends who are capable of discussing such things.

I like discussing such stuff as well. But as you said, apparently it is hard to find friends who are willing to discuss such things - which might be why I think that people on the internet are really deep?
Jun 20, 2015 4:49 PM

May 2013
I am not deep at all, I am actually pretty flat.
Jun 20, 2015 4:51 PM

May 2015
WingsOfValor said:
I am not deep at all, I am actually pretty flat.

Both IRL and URL?
Jun 20, 2015 4:54 PM

Dec 2013
I think the internet likes to go to extremes, whether it's extremely serious or extremely or extremely silly. I've made threads in the past about mastering the art of urinating and anal sex and today I questioned the simplicity of the human race.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jun 20, 2015 4:59 PM
Oct 2014
In real life, you can't choose the same way, as you can on the internet, which people you want to talk to or discuss with.

Personally, I have never really seen philosophy, religion, etc, as "deep". It's an interest, and I discuss it both in real life and on the internet.

Jun 20, 2015 5:01 PM

Mar 2014
manimesuki said:
2-methylgeniol said:

I like discussing such stuff as well. But as you said, apparently it is hard to find friends who are willing to discuss such things - which might be why I think that people on the internet are really deep?

No, they aren't. Usually the people who discuss these things on the internet are the ones who are willing to discuss these things in real life as well. Just because they can't find people to discuss this stuff with irl, they recline with the internet. So, maybe that's why internet populace seems more 'deep'.

Actually, even on the internet, not everyone is like that. Go and see more popular sites like 4chan or some other shithole like that, there you'll witness the sheer stupidity of mankind.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jun 20, 2015 5:05 PM

Jun 2014
2-methylgeniol said:

we philosophise about all sorts of things so no
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 20, 2015 5:08 PM

May 2015
TheArchangels said:
I think the internet likes to go to extremes, whether it's extremely serious or extremely or extremely silly. I've made threads in the past about mastering the art of urinating and anal sex and today I questioned the simplicity of the human race.

So basically "because we can!"?

Rarusu_ said:
In real life, you can't choose the same way, as you can on the internet, which people you want to talk to or discuss with.

Personally, I have never really seen philosophy, religion, etc, as "deep". It's an interest, and I discuss it both in real life and on the internet.

So you see no difference between IRL and URL regarding such discussions?

2-methylgeniol said:
manimesuki said:

No, they aren't. Usually the people who discuss these things on the internet are the ones who are willing to discuss these things in real life as well. Just because they can't find people to discuss this stuff with irl, they recline with the internet. So, maybe that's why internet populace seems more 'deep'.

Actually, even on the internet, not everyone is like that. Go and see more popular sites like 4chan or some other shithole like that, there you'll witness the sheer stupidity of mankind.

So it's the people who would like to discuss such things are on the internet because they can't seem to find others to discuss such things with, which is why it seems like people are particularly deep on the internet.
Jun 20, 2015 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
It's easier diving behind a screen
Jun 20, 2015 5:32 PM

Sep 2014
on the internet, especially on a forum, you have time to think of a deep response.

IRL is more off the cuff.
Jun 20, 2015 6:28 PM
Oct 2014
manimesuki said:

Rarusu_ said:

So you see no difference between IRL and URL regarding such discussions?

Not when it comes to my willingness to talk about such things, or how I do it.
But then of course, it's not always that simple to find people irl who mutually want to discuss such topics.

Jun 20, 2015 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
without a doubt, find a thread about: religion, life and just deep topics in general.

Atheists are unstopable, OP.
Jun 20, 2015 9:07 PM

Jan 2014
Because if you have time to idle away on the Internet, you have time to have idle thoughts.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 20, 2015 10:44 PM
Jan 2013
People be hitting that pipe hard enough, interesting shit is gonna come out.
Or you could just a white kid who read some philsophy books and thhinks they figure it all out.
Jun 20, 2015 10:47 PM

Oct 2012
because people on the internet consist of white neckbeard fedora armchair intellectuals
Jun 20, 2015 10:48 PM

Sep 2014
Tsuyuu said:
because people on the internet consist of white neckbeard fedora armchair intellectuals

I don't have a neckbeard, I shave. I also lack a fedora.
Jun 20, 2015 10:48 PM
Apr 2014
Tsuyuu said:
Is this what you tell yourself everytime someone calls you out on your bullshit?
Jun 20, 2015 10:49 PM

Feb 2014
Because poeple can say whatever they want without getting busted. People who troll are the reasons why parents want laws on the interwed.
Dark Net, dont get me started about that.
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
Jun 20, 2015 10:52 PM

Jul 2014
Gholy said:
Tsuyuu said:
Is this what you tell yourself everytime someone calls you out on your bullshit?

lol Gholy is on his game today
Jun 20, 2015 10:58 PM

Oct 2011
Gholy said:
Tsuyuu said:

Lmao.
Jun 20, 2015 11:00 PM

Feb 2014
Why are you so deep?
M2k
DBZ
Jun 20, 2015 11:21 PM

Jun 2015
*Stares into the distance with squinted eyes*

“The only days that I feel alive,
are the days that I feel deprived.”

Send me a friend request ~
Jun 20, 2015 11:29 PM

Feb 2014
needs more cat pics
goes on imgur
finds nsfw
turns off nsfw on imgur
mom walks in
mom askes why her son is looking at gay watch
switches to hentai
mom is confuse
she leaves
son jerks off
end
M2k
DBZ
Jun 21, 2015 4:18 AM

May 2015
RedRoseFring said:
Because if you have time to idle away on the Internet, you have time to have idle thoughts.

So out of boredom?
Jun 24, 2015 1:44 AM

May 2015
elfenliedXsis said:
needs more cat pics
goes on imgur
finds nsfw
turns off nsfw on imgur
mom walks in
mom askes why her son is looking at gay watch
switches to hentai
mom is confuse
she leaves
son jerks off
end

Jun 24, 2015 1:46 AM

Apr 2013
Because we're edgy weeaboo's who watch 2deep5u shows.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Jun 24, 2015 1:49 AM

May 2015
Reeceiam said:

Can't tell if you're serious or not...
Jun 24, 2015 1:50 AM
Dec 2010
Reeceiam said:
y u no texhnolyze as fav anime

OT: A lot of people like to be pretentious and sit on their high horse, but there's also a surprising amount of people that are pretty well versed within "deep" topics. That said, a lot of people also end up on a high horse thinking they're experts in a subject, when they in reality have just read a couple of books, articles or papers on the subject. If you throw out terms that no one understands it's easy to look like you know what you're saying, but only when you can explain what you know to someone that does not is when you're well and truly educated within the subject.
Jun 24, 2015 1:51 AM

Apr 2013
manimesuki said:
Reeceiam said:

Can't tell if you're serious or not...

Nah I'm not serious, at least for the most part.

Jun 24, 2015 1:52 AM

May 2015
Stalker-tan said:
Reeceiam said:

OT: A lot of people like to be pretentious and sit on their high horse, but there's also a surprising amount of people that are pretty well versed within "deep" topics. That said, a lot of people also end up on a high horse thinking they're experts in a subject, when they in reality have just read a couple of books, articles or papers on the subject. If you throw out terms that no one understands it's easy to look like you know what you're saying, but only when you can explain what you know to someone that does not is when you're well and truly educated within the subject.

So is it because it's easier to appear smart on the internet?
Jun 24, 2015 1:55 AM

Oct 2012
Because every human in every part of the world goes through life like this:

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Jun 24, 2015 1:56 AM
Dec 2010
manimesuki said:
Stalker-tan said:

Could be. I think some do it for that reason, while others do it just for fun. Might as well be to point stupid people out too, if they create a topic and they already know the answer, or if they write what appears to be a "deep" topic when they know that it's just crap. Multiple reasons, hard to state just one. I think a lot of people want to appear as clever though.
Jun 24, 2015 1:57 AM
Jul 2018
2deep4me
Jun 24, 2015 1:58 AM

Apr 2013
manimesuki said:

It's not even just for the internet, if you said the same things to people in real life then they'd probably still think you were more intelligent because you're using big words. Though they'd probably think you're pretentious. It would be the mix of anonymity as well as knowing that you're speaking pretty much in front of an audience that literally anyone in the world can see.

Jun 24, 2015 1:59 AM

May 2015
Stalker-tan said:
manimesuki said:

Could be. I think some do it for that reason, while others do it just for fun. Might as well be to point stupid people out too, if they create a topic and they already know the answer, or if they write what appears to be a "deep" topic when they know that it's just crap. Multiple reasons, hard to state just one. I think a lot of people want to appear as clever though.

So it could be:
- to appear smart.
- bored and has nothing to do
- genuinely interested

I guess that makes sense.
Jun 24, 2015 2:00 AM

May 2015
Reeceiam said:
manimesuki said:

It's not even just for the internet, if you said the same things to people in real life then they'd probably still think you were more intelligent because you're using big words. Though they'd probably think you're pretentious. It would be the mix of anonymity as well as knowing that you're speaking pretty much in front of an audience that literally anyone in the world can see.

So being anonymous could be the reason for why it seems that people are more deep on the internet?
Jun 24, 2015 2:01 AM
Dec 2010
manimesuki said:
So it could be:
- to appear smart.
- genuinely interested

Agreed. If I were to generalize, those three reasons would probably be the top three.
Jun 24, 2015 2:03 AM

Apr 2011
Stalker-tan said:
manimesuki said:
So it could be:
- to appear smart.
- genuinely interested

Agreed. If I were to generalize, those three reasons would probably be the top three.
Probably the best answer. Even trolls fit into a criteria.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

38 by DesuMaiden »»
59 seconds ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Yesterday

18 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

81 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

316 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

25 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.