Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2015 9:10 AM

Jun 2008
Is there an easy and fast way to get a list of all fonts used in a subtitle file like *.ass? Maybe even download them too? Has anyone wrote a program or something for doing this?
Jun 1, 2015 10:58 AM

Sep 2013
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvextractgui-2/

This works well for me on windows 7.
Jun 1, 2015 11:01 AM

Jun 2007
You can use mkvcleaver (which also requires mkvtoolnix) to extract the fonts/attachments from the .mkv files directly, assuming the release group attached them. Which they should have, if they're competent -- not attaching fonts can cause text to be displayed in some default font, likely in the wrong size, if the end viewer doesn't have that font installed. Then open the .ass files with Aegisub to see which fonts are used in the main dialogue or song lyrics or whatever style you're interested in.
Jun 1, 2015 1:04 PM

Jun 2008
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I'm not talking about the cases when an *.ass is a part of a *.mkv, I'm talking about subtitles that you download separately from sites like http://subs.com.ru/

Opening every subtitle file (since there might be different fonts used in different episodes) and looking at them doesn't sound very convenient, I was hoping that maybe a script for compiling a list of fonts exists but I guess not. Thanks anyway.
Dec 3, 2021 3:29 PM

Jul 2009
Im having the same issue. I got an .ass( (lmao) subtitle for an anime and i loved it but i cant find the name of it. If i find it i will edit the comentary with the solution
Dec 4, 2021 12:27 AM

Jun 2007
legendarysnake said:
Im having the same issue. I got an .ass( (lmao) subtitle for an anime and i loved it but i cant find the name of it. If i find it i will edit the comentary with the solution

Open the .ass files with Aegisub and go into the Style Editor -- that'll show what fonts are used for the main dialogue or any other style you're looking for. To address kuchitsu's concern from 6 years go, the same applies whether you extract .ass files from .mkv videos or find them on subtitle download sites; after all, those "in the wild" subtitle files were originally extracted from .mkvs in the first place.

Once you find the desired font name, you can either see if it happens to be installed on your device, or try to find it on some font download site. But it may be simpler to track down the release those subtitle files came from, download at least one episode, and extract the font files using the process described above.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

60 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
1 minute ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

14 by billybub »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

54 by L1feHasNoMeaning »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

87 by Punkero »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.