Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2015 8:04 PM

Mar 2015
Our first spotlight film will be Gen Takahashi's "Goth"

Synopsis:
Based upon the novel by Otsuichi, GOTH is about two morbid high school students who share a fascination with murder. Kamiyama (Kanata Hongō) is an outwardly, friendly and popular boy who hides his potentially sociopathic nature with a carefree, happy attitude. Loner Morino (Rin Takanashi), on the other hand, does little to hide her strange nature; she never smiles, does not interact with her classmates, and wears a long-sleeved, black school uniform even during the middle of summer. While these two seem to share little in common and do not interact with each other in front of their peers, their shared interest in death and murder has turned them into an unusual duo. Initially happy to exchange books on morbid subjects, a series of recent murders spark their interest and they begin investigating the killer. This serial killer has a fondness for cheerful young women and, after severing their left hand as a trophy, displays their dead bodies in public locations to be discovered. After Morino discovers the killer’s notebook in a local café, the two use it to see the corpses for themselves before discovery and attempt to discern his identity.

IMDb: Goth
Rotten Tomatoes: Goth

All club members are encouraged to watch and discuss at least one of the current spotlight films.

EDIT: I didn't think about the accessibility of this film before choosing it for the spotlight. After quite a while of looking I couldn't find any good, quality torrents means of watching "Goth". Luckily, it is available on youtube for free HERE. I understand the quality is not top-noch but please be tolerant just this once.
shipgirlsMay 25, 2015 2:52 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 27, 2015 11:13 AM

Mar 2015
Not sure if I liked it as much the second time. Last time I watched it was probably about 4 years ago. Never realized how not subtle about everything is. Also that all of the dead girls are clearly mannequin. This time around I'd probably give it a 5.5 or 6/10.
May 29, 2015 4:20 PM

Nov 2011
shipgirls said:
Not sure if I liked it as much the second time. Last time I watched it was probably about 4 years ago. Never realized how not subtle about everything is. Also that all of the dead girls are clearly mannequin. This time around I'd probably give it a 5.5 or 6/10.

If you've read the novel, I don't think there's a way to accomplish how it's written and make it into film. Which is probably why things are so unsubtle. The novel is from the view of the boy, so it dwells on his thoughts about death and the serial killings a lot.

I also probably have a really biased view since I love the novel to death (pun intended), and the movie stayed within the spirit of what it is.
May 29, 2015 8:29 PM

Mar 2015
I do however think the non subtleness leads you to think the boy is the killer.
May 31, 2015 12:37 AM

Oct 2008
Well for the most part the best aspects of this film were some if it's more visually interesting moments with some great cinematography.

One of my favorite shots from this film.

Haven't read the novel yet.
May 31, 2015 9:19 AM

Mar 2015
I love the girl on the stairs.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Introductions

shipgirls - May 23, 2015

24 by adipati_sepuh »»
Aug 20, 2015 12:01 PM

» Suggest A Movie To Be Spotlighted

shipgirls - May 23, 2015

19 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 10, 2015 5:08 AM

» Exploitation Film / Shock Cinema

Orion1 - May 31, 2015

8 by Cyclops_23 »»
Jun 28, 2015 5:12 PM

» Spotlight Film: In Bruges - Martin McDonagh

shipgirls - Jun 2, 2015

4 by Billyisback »»
Jun 21, 2015 1:18 AM

» Guilty Pleasure Film(s)

shipgirls - Jun 1, 2015

3 by Billyisback »»
Jun 21, 2015 12:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.