Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 22, 2015 2:30 PM

Oct 2013
Also which type of ending do you think would please the majority? We have happy ending where everything ended nicely and peace is restored ect, but now a lot of people these days get tired of happy endings and now feels its too cliché. We also have sad endings which is the opposite of happy ending, but again people will say its either too edgy or its trying too hard to make us the watcher sad, which it failed at.

The last two are open ending and bitter sweet ending. It seems these two type of ending are what most people like these days. In open ending the writer doesn't tie up the loose end and he allows the viewers to interpret the ending for themselves. Series with these type of ending seem to get the most praise or even more praise than it actually deserve since a lot of people may interpret the series more deeper than what the writer intended. Which to me this type of ending is one of the safer more accepted ending to go with.

Finally bitter sweet endings, which is basically a mixture of happy and sad ending. People seem to like this type of ending as well. So which do you guys prefer?

For the record I know that it just depends on how well the writer execute the ending, it doesn't the matter type of ending it's. But I was just putting these eg into my topic to give this topic some weight.

Mod Edit: Explain your choices or this thread will be locked/Warnings will be dispense for 'spam'
TyrelMay 22, 2015 2:46 PM
May 22, 2015 2:35 PM

Jun 2012
As long as it's a good ending, I don't really care. Both happy and sad are fine with me. I just don't like open endings, because they make me feel like I watched something unfinished.
May 22, 2015 2:36 PM

Jun 2013
Happy endings as far as this poll goes but the preferable ending is one that is nicely wrapped up and leaves little to no loose ends.
May 22, 2015 2:37 PM

Aug 2014
I prefer the ones that kill off the entire main cast. Not sure if I'd group them on happy or sad. I suppose it depends on the characters. Kill 'em-all, I say.
Sieg Zeon!
May 22, 2015 2:39 PM
Dec 2014
Depends how the anime itself is portrayed throughout the story.
May 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Oct 2013
I'm going to be honest. I don't like sad endings. :( I could cope with bittersweet ending though.
May 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Nov 2012
Happy endings definitely, unless it pulls retarded shit just to make it so.
May 22, 2015 2:43 PM

Sep 2011
If you guys aren't gonna explain your choices, I'll be locking this thread for simple listing.
May 22, 2015 2:53 PM

Oct 2013
Tyrel said:
If you guys aren't gonna explain your choices, I'll be locking this thread for simple listing.

XD this thread is already on life support already.
May 22, 2015 2:59 PM

Oct 2012
Doesn't it depend on what the type of show it is? If I'm watching a cute girls doing cute things show and it has a kill'em all ending, I'll raise an eyebrow. Basically it has to be consistent with with the tone of the rest of the show, excessively happy endings for shows that are otherwise bleak and depressing don't make much sense and excessively dark and depressing endings for otherwise upbeat series don't make much sense either.
May 22, 2015 3:01 PM

Mar 2014
Actually all of the above, the most important thing is whether the ending was good at all to begin with (was it a good bittersweet ending or was it a good happy ending? etc.). I wouldn't dislike an ending just cause it's not a happy one though if I'd had to pick I guess I would prefer a happy ending.
May 22, 2015 3:04 PM

Jan 2015
Bittersweet endings are my favorite. Not everyone wins or dies, some people do and some don't, just like life itself.

Anyway, I don't really care as long as it's good.
May 22, 2015 3:04 PM
Feb 2011
Most importantly it has to be a well written ending which ties pretty much everything.
But my preference would be: bad>bittersweet>sad>neutral>open>happy.

Why? For some reason I disliked happy endings from the very beginning of my childhood, most of them just seemed so unrealistic and stupid back then. I guess now it's pretty much the same. Most of them just seem like asspulls for the sake of being all happy and shit.
May 22, 2015 3:05 PM

Mar 2015
its all depend on anime and excution. for example, just pick rondom episode from mushishi. it have all of it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 22, 2015 3:05 PM

Oct 2013
Feaor said:
Doesn't it depend on what the type of show it is? If I'm watching a cute girls doing cute things show and it has a kill'em all ending, I'll raise an eyebrow. Basically it has to be consistent with with the tone of the rest of the show, excessively happy endings for shows that are otherwise bleak and depressing don't make much sense and excessively dark and depressing endings for otherwise upbeat series don't make much sense either.

What about shows like madoka which at the begging it was all sunshine and rainbow and then all of a sudden. Bam!

also sad endings don't necessarily mean kill em all.
May 22, 2015 3:10 PM

Oct 2012
keragamming said:
Feaor said:

What about shows like madoka which at the begging it was all sunshine and rainbow and then all of a sudden. Bam!

also sad endings don't necessarily mean kill em all.
If you're paying attention in Madoka it was foreshadowed and the ending of the TV series is pretty happy all things considered. As for Kill'em all, that's just an exaggeration for an example, my point was an ending like that would generally be inconsistent with the tone of rest of the series and be a bad ending.
May 22, 2015 3:37 PM

Feb 2015
Completed endings, not just some cliffhanger that forces you to read the manga. ><
I would prefer happy endings over depressing ones, but both work..
:::|| ---A N I M E L I S T--- || ---M A N G A L I S T--- || ---S I G N A T U R E S--- || ---C A R D S--- ||:::
May 22, 2015 4:07 PM

Jan 2012
For me sad or bittersweet.
I also like happy endings , however I feel that anime with sad/bittersweet endings tend to stick longer and have a more significant impact on me.

I like any type of ending though as long as it fits the anime and doesn't leave unanswered questions.

I hate open endings simply because it doesn't bring any closure to the story/characters that I have spent so much time getting to know.
May 22, 2015 4:57 PM

Sep 2013
I greatly prefer happy endings, but knowing everything's gonna be okiedokey 100% of the time ruins the intensity of the plot and that's why I respect sad endings. As long as sad endings are possible, you can never be sure that everyone's gonna be happy, or even alive, come the end and that makes the fights and events that much more intense.
Lancehot said:
If it's an ending, that's enough.
lol so damn true. Looking at you, Katsura Hoshino of D.Gray-man...
Xardyn said:
Happy endings definitely, unless it pulls retarded shit just to make it so.
Also this. Looking at you, Beyond the Boundary.
May 22, 2015 5:11 PM
Feb 2013
I don't always prefer happy endings, but they are okay as long as they aren't cheesy, or thrown together.

Sad endings tend to have a lot of suspense and I do rather enjoy worlds where the heros are actually in danger.

I'm still traumatized by some movie with an open ending when I was young in the 90s. I do not like endings without some type of closure.

Bittersweet ending can work as well, to be honest, if the lead character is a cheeseball or I'm cheering for the antagonist... Bittersweet gives me a bit of amusement.
Hollywood_HammerMay 22, 2015 7:31 PM
May 26, 2015 3:59 AM

May 2015
I think I'll go with bittersweet. Although any ending that's executed well and ties in nicely is good enough for me! Can't really pin down one type of ending as anime is so diverse.

Open endings are definitely the worst though. I know it's all about leaving it up to the watcher but blah, I'd rather just know the outcome. While some shows have fantastic good endings, I think the shows with overall bad endings are generally a bit better. GENERALLY, they tend to be more realistic in a sense. But bittersweet ones are the least emotionally crippling I have to say.
But I mean, I'll cry at good sad and happy endings so...
May 26, 2015 4:04 AM

Sep 2014
I probably prefer happy but a lot of my favourite shows have rather bittersweet endings
May 26, 2015 4:28 AM

Jan 2008
Happy endings, even if they pull it right out of their ass, like Mai Hime or Kyoukai no Kanata.
May 26, 2015 4:39 AM

Sep 2014
As for open endings - while I dislike most of them, there are some anime that open ending was best for. Like Jormungand, for example. I can't really imagine a definite end to the series. The ending in this anime is open (has some little conclusion tho) and I liked it a lot.
May 26, 2015 4:40 AM

Aug 2014
I like conclusive endings that are satisfying.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 26, 2015 4:48 AM

Jul 2013
I like bittersweet endings because it has a feel of completeness in it yet somewhat incomplete.
May 26, 2015 5:01 AM
May 2014
sad and tragic endings are the best
open endings are the worst
tragedyloverMay 26, 2015 5:09 AM
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
May 26, 2015 5:06 AM

Jun 2014
Yeah open endings are a nightmare to me as a viewer. It always leave me with having to read the source material which I detest at times. Like somebody said the ending has to be complementary to the tone of the show and straight up BS endings don't suffice.
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 26, 2015 5:08 AM
Nov 2014
Bittersweet and very conclusive are usually my favourite type of endings.
May 26, 2015 9:13 AM

Jun 2014
Probably bittersweet. Unless the show has a very simplistic plot or set of characters happy endings often require an asspull (or several).

There are some great open endings within anime though (or atleast loosely open) so I don't see why they're getting so much abuse here. I like being able to discuss the varying interpretations of something like EoE, and in a way this is far more satisfying than having a show answer every question for you.
hnughj
May 26, 2015 9:24 AM

Aug 2014
Mladen said:
As long as it's a good ending, I don't really care. Both happy and sad are fine with me. I just don't like open endings, because they make me feel like I watched something unfinished.

This!

I don't really care whether the ending is sad or happy, so long it ends properly I'm fine with either. Watching an open ending is usually frustrating since it usually always leaves some questions to be answered or more to be desired.
May 26, 2015 9:32 AM

Nov 2014
Drama with matching romance... just like the angel beats ending...
It literally moved me when the ending is pretty much exciting with something that after the ending will remember it. And I like the ending with no sequel, I mean ending without unfinished business.
May 26, 2015 9:33 AM

Nov 2014
Drama with matching romance... just like the angel beats ending...
It literally moved me when the ending is pretty much exciting with something that after the ending will remember it. And I like the ending with no sequel, I mean ending without unfinished business.
May 27, 2015 2:20 PM

Apr 2015
As long as it's good, I'll accept a sad/bittersweet ending. For a franchise like Evangelion, I want these characters to be happy for once, so I'm hoping for a happy ending specifically for the last movie.
May 27, 2015 2:28 PM

Sep 2011
Bittersweet almost always has more of a impact on me, happy endings usually have the most impact when the events leading up to it were tragic, but usually if the events leading up to the conclusion are tragic it makes more sense for their to be a bittersweet tone in the end as the consequences of the past arent just going to dissapear

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 27, 2015 3:06 PM

Nov 2014
Sad/Bittersweet/Open endings are my favorites...I voted for Sad. Of course Happy endings are very enjoyable and leave me at peace with finishing an anime, but I just love the impact a sadder/bittersweet ending leaves me in a "what if" mentality which I actually really enjoy LOL

As for open endings, I love them but at the same time they're the worst. I just hate when a character has an open ending and you don't know what happened to them, it leaves me in the "what if" stage again which I love but at the same time it's extremely frustrating.
May 27, 2015 3:14 PM

May 2013
Most of the time, I'll accept and be happy with any ending (happy, bittersweet, tragic, etc.) as long as it is a fitting conclusion that flows naturally from what came before.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
May 27, 2015 3:58 PM

Aug 2010
As long as it fits the tone, I'm happy. Like, a dark show like Death Note deserves a bittersweet ending, but something like Naruto deserves a happy ending.
I hate cliffhangers, so no open endings.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

May 27, 2015 4:01 PM

Aug 2011
As long as its covered up all the question in my mind it's an okay.

**☾**

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

47 by Horshu »»
43 seconds ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

29 by Horshu »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

21 by Horshu »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

45 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

91 by Horshu »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.