New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 24, 2015 3:18 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Working_Designs said:

You don't know who I am, do you?

I'm that guy who prefers old school Anime, and only watches newer stuff in small doses. What you consider "Great Stuff" is likely not of interest to me at all.[/quote]
Yeah. I don't know who you are and I couldn't care less. Omitting my personal preference, I was talking about the shows in general which were well accepted by majority of people. So in that sense, what you don't find interesting, may actually be great to many people. Just because you prefer old school anime, you can't rule out the fact that some new series are indeed good and well made.

Mar 24, 2015 3:44 PM

Jun 2014
Vindstot said:
Working_Designs said:

I'm that guy who prefers old school Anime, and only watches newer stuff in small doses. What you consider "Great Stuff" is likely not of interest to me at all.

Yeah. I don't know who you are and I couldn't care less. Omitting my personal preference, I was talking about the shows in general which were well accepted by majority of people. So in that sense, what you don't find interesting, may actually be great to many people. Just because you prefer old school anime, you can't rule out the fact that some new series are indeed good and well made.[/quote]

Yes, I watched Magic Kaito a little while ago, and enjoyed it, and I'm currently watching Futari wa Precure, which I'm enjoying very much.

I do watch some newer shows, but I'm very, very picky on what I watch. I find it easier to find good old school Anime because I prefer the way it looks.

Mar 24, 2015 3:48 PM

Nov 2013
Eh, the Monogatari franchise overall is a huge hit or miss. You either like it or you don't. Personally I wouldn't recommend it - the plot overall is bleak and is reliant on the dialogue, which for the most part is lecherous and unengaging. And as another user said about the cast: if you don't like them then you probably won't like the show. Personally I only like Araragi, Senjougahara and Hachikuji. The rest are either horribly boring (Hanekawa) or annoying (Araragi's sisters)

Also the ecchi can be pretty annoying since it's so ingrained in the series. It gets tiring after you constantly see Araragi grope his sisters on multiple occasions. But I'd watch it for curiosity's sake
Mar 24, 2015 3:52 PM

Mar 2014
Working_Designs said:
I've never watched Bakemonogatari(And I never will,) but I will say this. If you hate Tsunderes, and excessive fanservice, don't watch it, because it's apparently full of it.
What's wrong? You don't like toothbrush rape?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 24, 2015 3:54 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Working_Designs said:
I've never watched Bakemonogatari(And I never will,) but I will say this. If you hate Tsunderes, and excessive fanservice, don't watch it, because it's apparently full of it.

No, I do not. I also find Senjougahara ugly as hell. I can't find anything appealing about Bakemonogatari.

Mar 24, 2015 3:54 PM

Nov 2014
Working_Designs said:
[spoiler]
Vindstot said:

I'm that guy who prefers old school Anime, and only watches newer stuff in small doses. What you consider "Great Stuff" is likely not of interest to me at all.

Yeah. I don't know who you are and I couldn't care less. Omitting my personal preference, I was talking about the shows in general which were well accepted by majority of people. So in that sense, what you don't find interesting, may actually be great to many people. Just because you prefer old school anime, you can't rule out the fact that some new series are indeed good and well made.
[/spoiler]
Yes, I watched Magic Kaito a little while ago, and enjoyed it, and I'm currently watching Futari wa Precure, which I'm enjoying very much.

I do watch some newer shows, but I'm very, very picky on what I watch. I find it easier to find good old school Anime because I prefer the way it looks.[/quote]
I bet there are a lot of new shows you'd like if you got over how they looked. Anime stories have gotten both better and worse over the years.
Mar 24, 2015 3:56 PM

Mar 2014
Working_Designs said:
Comic_Sans said:

No, I do not. I also find Senjougahara ugly as hell. I can't find anything appealing about Bakemonogatari.
Not even Ararararagi's pedo face?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 24, 2015 3:57 PM

Dec 2013
No, not really. Like others has stated, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I unfortunately am the minority that didn't like the show.

The show, in a nutshell is basically full of awkward camera angles, heavily dialogue and some sneaky fan service. Like someone has already said, the show depends on the viewer to like the characters. I only liked the loli and the lesbian girl.

I only watched it because I kept hearing how amazing and unique this anime was from the people in my school.
TobiMar 24, 2015 4:00 PM
Mar 24, 2015 4:02 PM

Nov 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Not even Ararararagi's pedo face?

God...

That reminds me... The Bakemonogatari sequels and prequels probably aren't worth watching.
Mar 24, 2015 4:05 PM

Jun 2014
aikaflip said:
Working_Designs said:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I do watch some newer shows, but I'm very, very picky on what I watch. I find it easier to find good old school Anime because I prefer the way it looks.

I bet there are a lot of new shows you'd like if you got over how they looked. Anime stories have gotten both better and worse over the years.[/quote]

There are quite a few newer Anime shows/movies I look forward to watching, such as:

Magic Kaito 1412
Kaitou Joker
Futari wa Precure: Max Heart
Futari wa Precure: Splash☆Star
Yes! Precure 5
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo!
Fresh Precure!
Heartcatch Precure!
Suite Precure♪
Smile Precure!
DokiDoki! Precure
Happiness Charge Precure!
Go! Princess Precure
Precure Movies
Otogi-jushi Akazukin(I've already seen the OVA)
Magic Tree House

This list will get bigger.

Mar 24, 2015 4:05 PM

Oct 2012
aikaflip said:
That reminds me... The Bakemonogatari sequels and prequels probably aren't worth watching.
I'd strongly disagree, my top 3 favorite arcs are from the second series of the novels, Nekomonogatari:Shiro, Koimonogatari, and Hanamonogatari. The second season is where I think it really comes into its own as the first season (Bake+Nise) is mostly character introductions and the second season is where the characters get really fleshed out and come to terms with their personal demons.
Mar 24, 2015 4:10 PM

Nov 2014
Feaor said:
aikaflip said:
I'd strongly disagree, my top 3 favorite arcs are from the second series of the novels, Nekomonogatari:Shiro, Koimonogatari, and Hanamonogatari. The second season is where I think it really comes into its own as the first season (Bake+Nise) is mostly character introductions and the second season is where the characters get really fleshed out and come to terms with their personal demons.

But all that lolicon fanservice and incest though...
Mar 24, 2015 4:14 PM

Oct 2012
aikaflip said:
Feaor said:

That's mostly Nise and tbh, Nisio Isin makes it a lot more palatable than most authors. I see why it might turn some people off, but I thought the writing was much stronger in the three arcs that I mentioned than any of the arcs in Bake.
Mar 24, 2015 4:33 PM

Nov 2014
Feaor said:
aikaflip said:

That's mostly Nise and tbh, Nisio Isin makes it a lot more palatable than most authors. I see why it might turn some people off, but I thought the writing was much stronger in the three arcs that I mentioned than any of the arcs in Bake.

Bakemonogatari is my favorite because it's the most concise and coherent. Monogatari Series: Second Season had some great moments, but I found it to be dense, too long, and less accessible than Bakemonogatari. And Nisemonogatari is just dirty. I'm not saying no one should watch the prequels or sequels. If they want to see them, go for it. I'm just not encouraging it.
Mar 24, 2015 4:38 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Feaor said:
aikaflip said:

+1. Not a huge fan of fanservice, but I approve the way NisiOisiN does it.

Mar 24, 2015 4:46 PM

Oct 2012
aikaflip said:
Bakemonogatari is my favorite because it's the most concise and coherent. Monogatari Series: Second Season had some great moments, but I found it to be dense, too long, and less accessible than Bakemonogatari. And Nisemonogatari is just dirty. I'm not saying no one should watch the prequels or sequels. If they want to see them, go for it. I'm just not encouraging it.
To be really honest, if I was to recommend any of Nisio Isin's works, I'd probably go with Katanagatari as I think its more accessible and its honestly probably even better written, especially the main character.
Mar 24, 2015 6:05 PM

Feb 2015
tl; dr Bakemonogatari is one of the best things to come out in the last ten years., It may turn out not to be your thing but it is definitely worth a shot.

Vindstot said:
Feaor said:

Actually i find it adds to the story. I ended up asking myself why is there more fanservice with girls who Araragi is clearly not attracted to (except as a running joke)? How else does he act differently towards his sister? How does this change. I think the fanservice enunciates his becoming more responsible and protective of others in general and shifting from being a private person to someone who lives for others.
Muan142Mar 24, 2015 6:11 PM

Mar 24, 2015 10:45 PM

Feb 2013
avantakiyama said:
I'm a bit of an odd duck in terms of anime enthusiasts in the sense that I don't like a lot things most people associate with anime. Most of these having to do with the romance genre. For instance I really don't care for tsunderes, yanderes, other deres and various other anime stereotypes. Neither do I particularly care for cute girls in their teenage years with additional fanservice as I'm in my mid twenties and it kinda makes me feel like a pervert. In stronger terms I hate shows with a high school setting as I have very bad memories of high school and don't like to see it portrayed in a more sunny light than how I remember it. And if there's one thing I hate above all else it's the harem genre as I feel it's insulting towards women, unhealthy and outdated.
:V well aint you a special snowflake

avantakiyama said:
Counterpoint time:

If there's one thing I like about anime more than anything else and whay I continue to wathc it then it's the artistic vision it can give to it's shows. Whereas live action shows tend to be stuck in their narrowminded realism anime can bring much much more experimental and artistic stories to the screen with surreal or outlandish visuals. And I always find that the kind of shows that do that are the ones I love more than any other. Also I really enjoy well written dialogues.
Sounds just like every shinbo anime ever
Also lol@well written dialogues; that's the anime equivalent of "i like to have fun"

avantakiyama said:
So in simple terms: what we have here is an amalgam of things I love and things I hate. My question is which one is more present? I can put up with a genre I dislike if it brings a strong personal vision to the table but likewise a highly interesting show can be ruined for me when elements I dislike become to prevalent. This show looks really interesting but then whenever I even look at the cover of the DVD case I kinda feel like this is gonna be a big mistake buying it. Hence the question.
Honestly, only you can answer that question... since it's an amalgam of things you love and hate.
Basically, this:

avantakiyama said:
Okay so in between all the bickering I got some idea of what the show is like and I am definitely interested.

Final question: how does it hold up in comparisson to the somehat similar and highly praised Mawaru Penguindrum? Cause I am most certainly picking that up this month and I don't want to ruin a good show by watching it right after a better show.
Penguindrum > Monogatari
Ikuhara > Shinbo
But that's just my opinion. You should stop thinking in terms of "a better show"; which is better depends on the watcher.
romagiaMar 24, 2015 10:49 PM
Mar 24, 2015 11:40 PM
Dec 2009
Sure, if you like pretentious pandering crap, then go ahead.
Mar 24, 2015 11:41 PM

Jun 2014
Obviously, its a masterpiece and >>>>>>> breaking bad.
Mar 25, 2015 12:08 AM

Sep 2014
Too much dialogue

fanbase tries to pretend that the fan service is more than just fan service
Mar 25, 2015 12:09 AM

Nov 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Obviously, its a masterpiece and >>>>>>> breaking bad.

that is slightly true, but that's like saying Mars of Destruction is better than Shitcom
Mar 25, 2015 12:24 AM

Sep 2014
notsomacho said:
Too much dialogue

no one tries to pretend it's anything more than fanservice

I hate it how the word fanservice is used as if it were something negative
Mar 25, 2015 4:28 AM

Jul 2014
aikaflip said:
If you like Tarantino movies you'll probably like Bakemonogatari. It's very stylish and dialog driven.

This. Also worth comparing with the likes of Wes Anderson. Though Bakemonogatari is Up to Eleven.
Mar 25, 2015 5:43 AM
Mar 2012
Lancehot said:
Second season is really good, but I felt it rendered Arararagi a massive cock (if Nise hadn't already done so) because the harem should have disbanded after Bakemonogatari (the harem ends after a relationship is confirmed. That's how it works) but he insists on acting like he's still free & single & ready to force himself into the lives of the girls who lost to Senjougahara. It's cool that it bothers to follow the characters after Bake, but I didn't like how some of it played out.

It's because he's friend with them? Like it or not, Araragi enjoys the company of pretty much all the girls - the only one who he actively harasses as a joke is Hachikuji and that's even acknowledged in series as a joke. But let's go down the list:

So yeah, he's not really forcing himself into their lives, Nadeko aside, most of them are fine with just hanging with him. I mean, Senjougara's fine with it to an extent so I don't see why you would have an issue~ But I can understand if you don't like some of the stories, that's your choice.

KLKfanboy said:
notsomacho said:
Too much dialogue

No see YOU'RE the one making a mistake here - it is certainly more than fanservice and if you say otherwise you are just wrong. What I ( as someone who loves the series) deny is that it is ONLY fanservice, or that fanservice is the main point of the series.

Sure, fanservice is a big part of the series and for some people it's what draws them into it - but it is not what the series is about. It's a character based narrative with an underlying plot which is only just now coming to light, since the final season of the books basically explains a lot of why what happened, happened. If you came to me and said "Oh that show's just fanservice) I would endevour to never speak to you again, since clearly you can't see anything PAST fanservice so you don't really know what the series is about.

Anyhow, the Monogatari series is a very tricky one - the style is a big part of it so if you don't like it I wouldn't advise watching the series. No point in forcing yourself to watch something you don't like looking at...

I would say watch up to ep 3, see if you like it, then watch the rest of Bakemonogatari with this in mind: the first series is essentially just an introduction to the world. Also that the Monogatari series is, practically, entirely character focused - it's their stories and lives which you should be watching it for. So expect lots of dialogue and character interaction, any central plot is still in the works and won't come to a head until Koyomimonogatari and Owarimonogatari.
Mar 25, 2015 7:22 PM

Jun 2014
I've got to admit I have no idea what tl;dr means. :'(
Mar 25, 2015 9:15 PM

Sep 2011
No, it's overrated the animation style gave me motion sickness.

In all seriousness it's okay, no where near as good as some people claim it is.

Also,

LOLninja said:
Sure, if you like pretentious pandering crap, then go ahead.

and I would add a love for head tilts is required to enjoy this show.
Mar 26, 2015 5:18 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Yes. you should at least try it, however it's something that is not sure that you gonna love it.

Syndiciate said:
I've got to admit I have no idea what tl;dr means. :'(

too long; didn't read
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 26, 2015 5:48 AM

Sep 2014
Kreion said:
Lancehot said:
Second season is really good, but I felt it rendered Arararagi a massive cock (if Nise hadn't already done so) because the harem should have disbanded after Bakemonogatari (the harem ends after a relationship is confirmed. That's how it works) but he insists on acting like he's still free & single & ready to force himself into the lives of the girls who lost to Senjougahara. It's cool that it bothers to follow the characters after Bake, but I didn't like how some of it played out.

It's because he's friend with them? Like it or not, Araragi enjoys the company of pretty much all the girls - the only one who he actively harasses as a joke is Hachikuji and that's even acknowledged in series as a joke. But let's go down the list:

So yeah, he's not really forcing himself into their lives, Nadeko aside, most of them are fine with just hanging with him. I mean, Senjougara's fine with it to an extent so I don't see why you would have an issue~ But I can understand if you don't like some of the stories, that's your choice.

KLKfanboy said:

No see YOU'RE the one making a mistake here - it is certainly more than fanservice and if you say otherwise you are just wrong. What I ( as someone who loves the series) deny is that it is ONLY fanservice, or that fanservice is the main point of the series.

Sure, fanservice is a big part of the series and for some people it's what draws them into it - but it is not what the series is about. It's a character based narrative with an underlying plot which is only just now coming to light, since the final season of the books basically explains a lot of why what happened, happened. If you came to me and said "Oh that show's just fanservice) I would endevour to never speak to you again, since clearly you can't see anything PAST fanservice so you don't really know what the series is about.

Anyhow, the Monogatari series is a very tricky one - the style is a big part of it so if you don't like it I wouldn't advise watching the series. No point in forcing yourself to watch something you don't like looking at...

I would say watch up to ep 3, see if you like it, then watch the rest of Bakemonogatari with this in mind: the first series is essentially just an introduction to the world. Also that the Monogatari series is, practically, entirely character focused - it's their stories and lives which you should be watching it for. So expect lots of dialogue and character interaction, any central plot is still in the works and won't come to a head until Koyomimonogatari and Owarimonogatari.

I'm not saying this show is nothing more than fanservice.
What I meant to say is that fanservice itself is fanservice and nothing else. There is no additional meaning in the toothbrush or any other fanservice scene.
Mar 26, 2015 6:25 AM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to the Bakemonogatari board.
Mar 30, 2015 12:02 PM

Mar 2010
aikaflip said:
Feaor said:

That part about Nisemonogatari being dirty, well, it started off as a fanfiction by Nisio himself so I'm guessing he went a little overboard with some parts, and it seems like that style stayed in the later adaptions to some degree.

Anyway, I would encourage people to try Bakemonogatari out, but if they don't like it, it's a shame but to each his own.
Apr 6, 2015 1:43 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah nise means fake and it was just a personal fan fic but then they published as an official part of the series.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 5, 2015 6:20 PM

Mar 2009
avantakiyama said:
Neither do I particularly care for cute girls in their teenage years with additional fanservice as I'm in my mid twenties and it kinda makes me feel like a pervert.

Give in to the ero moe. Life will be much sweeter!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

510 by deem0n »»
Apr 23, 1:30 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Apr 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.