Forum Settings
Forums
Spiral
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 4, 2009 1:43 PM
Sep 2007
So what did everyone think about the ending?

I thought it was great, but it was still sad and seemed unfair, not to mention I wasn't 100% satisfied with the way it ended, I wanted to know more of what would happen later on.

Though it was still done really well, a great manga indeed :)
Dec 4, 2009 4:39 PM

Jul 2008
I wanted to know what would happen after and how long was Ayumu going to live and if he and Hiyono could spend more time together >.<
Dec 5, 2009 10:55 PM

Apr 2009
It was hinted earlier in the manga that they wouldn't end up together but we can see that they still love each other.

edit: I've decided I do not like the ending. Even with all this talk about hope the manga leaves me with a feeling of despair. Narumi gave up any chance for happiness so that he could help the others. now he will suffer in his loneliness till his death =[ I think that he could have used a different method... if he somehow got together with hiyono he could show the blade children that he could find support that way even with all the bad things that happened to him. so the blade children could support each other etc. through their hardships
TiamatNMDec 6, 2009 10:29 AM
Dec 6, 2009 6:04 PM
Sep 2007
CursedTiamat said:
It was hinted earlier in the manga that they wouldn't end up together but we can see that they still love each other.

edit: I've decided I do not like the ending. Even with all this talk about hope the manga leaves me with a feeling of despair. Narumi gave up any chance for happiness so that he could help the others. now he will suffer in his loneliness till his death =[ I think that he could have used a different method... if he somehow got together with hiyono he could show the blade children that he could find support that way even with all the bad things that happened to him. so the blade children could support each other etc. through their hardships

Yes, I agree with you there. I do wish the ending could have been different. It's really sad how Narumi ends up with the most tragic fate. What annoys me is the fact that his brother seems to get the happy ending -_-" While Narumi gets the sad one. I was glad Hiyono came back, but wish they could have gone more into depth.

It was an enjoyable series, but I guess the ending could have been more satisfying.
Dec 12, 2009 6:15 PM

Jul 2009
I finished this manga a few years ago in Korean version but reading it again, I really feel sorry for Narumi o.o
The first time I read it, I felt that it was a realistically good ending but now I just feel as if Narumi got abandoned by hope itself... still a great manga though, it has been one of my favorites for a few years ever since I read it =D

I still think this manga didn't get enough attention and credits it deserved despite it being a great, enjoyable manga.
Dec 12, 2009 9:04 PM
Sep 2007
fr0zendragon said:
I finished this manga a few years ago in Korean version but reading it again, I really feel sorry for Narumi o.o
The first time I read it, I felt that it was a realistically good ending but now I just feel as if Narumi got abandoned by hope itself... still a great manga though, it has been one of my favorites for a few years ever since I read it =D

I still think this manga didn't get enough attention and credits it deserved despite it being a great, enjoyable manga.

In a way that did defeat the purpose, because like you said it felt like hope had abandoned him. It was a sad yet beautiful ending at the same time.
And I was also surprised that Spiral wasn't really something many people knew about, the manga is definetly one of the best out there :)
Dec 12, 2009 10:46 PM

Apr 2009
Spiral is a very unique series and it's hard to explain what it's about to some extent so that may be why it never got too popular.

I still hate the ending though. Here's another thing that bugs me: Throughout the manga they keep talking about Narumi "saving" the blade children but at the end of the series narumi basically says "well you guys gotta fight your own fate (by trying to not turn into killers). I'll just stand here as an example and I'll have kiyotaka help you guys not get killed." so lame
Aug 29, 2010 3:45 AM

Dec 2009
kira-factor said:
CursedTiamat said:

Yes, I agree with you there. I do wish the ending could have been different. It's really sad how Narumi ends up with the most tragic fate. What annoys me is the fact that his brother seems to get the happy ending -_-" While Narumi gets the sad one. I was glad Hiyono came back, but wish they could have gone more into depth.

It was an enjoyable series, but I guess the ending could have been more satisfying.

I agreed with what both of you say. I loved the series, just wished the ending was a perfect happy ending. I mean, Wouldn't it have been better if Ayumu didn't had to you know, and Hiyono came back for him and they spend the rest of their lifes in peace and happiness? I wished for an ending like that or something similar.
Sep 2, 2010 11:33 AM

Apr 2009
I just thought the conclusion he came to was really stupid. He decides to suffer as much as possible and by living on through that suffering he can show the blade children they can live on while bearing the pain as well. The "curse" on the blade children is badly explained anyway. As far as I can tell the only curse they have is that they are test tube babies with what I guess is a genetic predisposition to become a murderer. Kousuke, Rio, and maybe Eyes are already murderers though. Are they just going to get worse or something? If they know its a problem why don't they just support each other in ways that help them not go kill people? "oh Narumi is suffering so much! I guess I shouldn't kill people even though it's hard for me not to because he's shown me what real self control is!" Dumb

Another thing that really bothered me was the Hiyono plot twist. She was my favorite character and I thought it was great how she always helped Narumi so much. I wanted to believe the character was helping Narumi cause she wanted to, but instead I get told that she was just being paid off my Kiyotaka. Urgh

There's also the part where Narumi says he'll get everything back Kiyotaka took from him, and then as the ending plays out you see that he got back NOTHING. Kiyotaka is a happy ass bastard being married to Narumi's sister in law. Plus how are we supposed to know if Kiyotaka even wanted Narumi to kill him or not? He's like an unbeatable villain because anything you do might be part of his plans. So Narumi doesn't get with Madoka or Hiyono and he's gonna die in a few years due to body deterioration.

This manga has my least favorite ending to anything. Ever. Sorry for the long rant.
Nov 12, 2010 7:16 PM

Sep 2008
CursedTiamat said:

Another thing that really bothered me was the Hiyono plot twist. She was my favorite character and I thought it was great how she always helped Narumi so much. I wanted to believe the character was helping Narumi cause she wanted to, but instead I get told that she was just being paid off my Kiyotaka. Urgh

I'm just glad they finally explained Hiyono's purpose. I knew she had to be someone important other then her role that she showed to the viewers.. but as chapter after chapter started to pass by I was thinking they wouldn't even explain anything. To actually get an explination of who she really is and her purpose for being there was really great to myself.

Actually it did say she was helping him out of her heart. It just started by an order. She stated that she did not know the full details of anything to better help out Narumi. In the end she hated Kiyotaka but couldn't go against him, just like everyone else. Although this isn't a love story I am glad they were together when it ended.
May 17, 2011 4:56 AM

May 2010
i wanted them to date :( whether she was hiyono or someone else, they still loved each other....oh well
Jul 25, 2011 3:43 PM
Jun 2011
as far as right now, i don't like the ending but it seemed fair. at least we didn't get to see him die. right now all im wondering about is hiyono's real name, her job and her AGE. as in seriously, if she's actually 50 something i would freak out. (((((=
Oct 27, 2011 7:46 PM

Jun 2011
Ditto elliston. If we're not told how old she is, the parameters of animanga easily allow her to be anywhere between the ages of 20-50!

And regarding the 'saving the Blade Children before they all develop the tendency for genocide at the age of 20', Eyes had already started developing strong psychopathic inclinations by the age of 5. Referring to his interview with some random reporter at the beginning of chapter 8, he states that he started learning piano because he wanted to kill things. When Eyes was 3, he killed ants one by one, and by 5, he used metal wires to strangle a husky. This was when his mum finally decided that something was wrong and used the piano to distract Eyes from his murderous inclinations.
This story (if true) contradicts the idea that Yaiba's children will mimic Yaiba's own maturation, where he was supposedly an angel up till 20 but then suddenly turned into some monster/devil. Anyway, these thoughts just serve to undermine the idea that Yaiba's blood is some indecipherable Curse.
Using Eyes' example, the simplest explanation is the Blade Children just have an extremely strong tendency to become homicidal psychopaths due to Yaiba's extremely potent "Evil Genes". Therefore, what the Blade Children really need is not Ayumu to 'Save' them by suffering through a life that exemplifies Injustice, but instead a crack-team of psychiatrists and psychologists together with the foremost geneticists and physicians.

Anyway, the manga was generally good, but the ending is very unsatisfying. It was intolerable that: (1) the megalomanic Kiyotaka didn't at least get his God-complex simultaneously shoved up his nether-regions and urethra; and (2) that Ayumu is going to slowly fade away as his brain and organs shut-down piece by piece.
&gt;Small caveat that Hiyono (finally!) visits him soon after the onset of serious symptoms.

Disregarding the ending, the Xanatos games and Gambit Pileups were enjoyable to read. d^_^
Life is a mess...yet incorruptible

Nov 29, 2011 1:16 PM
Dec 2009
Sorry, but I think you guys are completely missing the point.

Kiyotaka and Ayumu agreed in the penultimate chapter that if someone wants to convey the importance of hope and believing in it despite being in the dark, to get their point across, they would have to be the one with a cruel. For instance, who would you more easily believe? A spoiled, pampered child who tells you that "humans aren't cruel" or a veteran missing a couple a feet and has gone through torture during the war who tells you that "humans aren't cruel"? Which one seems more convincing?

Ayumu is like that veteran. He is the man who will laugh despite being the dark and tell everyone else to keep living. That is how he is "saving" the Blade Children. Initially, the Blade Children thought that salvation was impossible for themselves. That's why some of them just thought "to heck with it" and just went along with their psychopathic tendencies. (Though the main Blade Children are different. Kousuke initially denies the possibility of being saved, which is why he was a murderer. Now that he believes though, he's different. Rio from the beginning believed and only murdered people because she wanted to draw Ayumu out).

Now Ayumu has a fate much crueler than that of the Blade Children and he still tries to fight it. That gives the Blade Children the push to try to save themselves. If Ayumu was like Kiyotaka, who had everything a man could ever want, the Blade Children wouldn't be able to draw inspiration to save themselves as easily.

That is why I personally think that this is the most fitting ending. It's not only the most realistic one, but also the happiest one. This whole manga is centered around salvation. Kanon tries to save the Blade Children, but fails and ends up dying by Hizumi's hands. His failure is significant, since it shows that salvation isn't something you can impose on other people. Salvation must come from yourself. Though it may seem "lame", Ayumu's way of "saving" the Blade Children was the best way to go about it.
Mar 9, 2012 1:08 PM
Mar 2012
shyblueangel said:

Kiyotaka and Ayumu agreed in the penultimate chapter that if someone wants to convey the importance of hope and believing in it despite being in the dark, to get their point across, they would have to be the one with a cruel. For instance, who would you more easily believe? A spoiled, pampered child who tells you that "humans aren't cruel" or a veteran missing a couple a feet and has gone through torture during the war who tells you that "humans aren't cruel"? Which one seems more convincing?

Ayumu is like that veteran. He is the man who will laugh despite being the dark and tell everyone else to keep living. That is how he is "saving" the Blade Children. Initially, the Blade Children thought that salvation was impossible for themselves. That's why some of them just thought "to heck with it" and just went along with their psychopathic tendencies. (Though the main Blade Children are different. Kousuke initially denies the possibility of being saved, which is why he was a murderer. Now that he believes though, he's different. Rio from the beginning believed and only murdered people because she wanted to draw Ayumu out).

Now Ayumu has a fate much crueler than that of the Blade Children and he still tries to fight it. That gives the Blade Children the push to try to save themselves. If Ayumu was like Kiyotaka, who had everything a man could ever want, the Blade Children wouldn't be able to draw inspiration to save themselves as easily.

That is why I personally think that this is the most fitting ending. It's not only the most realistic one, but also the happiest one. This whole manga is centered around salvation. Kanon tries to save the Blade Children, but fails and ends up dying by Hizumi's hands. His failure is significant, since it shows that salvation isn't something you can impose on other people. Salvation must come from yourself. Though it may seem "lame", Ayumu's way of "saving" the Blade Children was the best way to go about it.
Totally agree!! I'm happy that someone can see those things as me
Jun 17, 2012 6:08 AM

Feb 2010
I like the "sad" ending, we already knew he was going to die so it was realistic and i agree with shybluenagel. Ayumu life was pure shit, really.

The Hiyono thing might seem random but it was actually foreshadowed when she told kanone the name of his father (way before ayumu knew)

But the whole kiyotaka thing was pretty weak, could have been better.
Dec 27, 2013 10:17 AM

Jan 2012
shyblueangel said:

Finally someone who gets it
This will always be my favorite manga of all time
Nov 13, 2014 4:48 PM

Mar 2014
renders said:
shyblueangel said:

I just now finished this manga, and I have to agree with the both of you! Even though the ending was sad, it was the most realistic and I didn't see it any other way ending.
Nov 20, 2015 4:05 PM
Apr 2014
Late to the game, just finished it myself.

I don't like the ending either. Narumi may not feel betrayed by the girl, but I can't help but feel that way! I understand that she was told to support him and what not, but I don't see why she had to tell him that she loved him and that she wanted to date him. It's obvious that she didn't really love him that much, or else she wouldn't have let herself be the ultimate despair.

Not only that, but even after the fact according to the manga, they STILL don't get together. Narumi has to suffer alone while she's out prancing away doing whatever and his brother is married and happy. Just seems like crap to me to be honest.

I think what annoys me the most is that so many things were explained by "Because we can't go against the older brother". Umm.. Yes you can... Girl. If you love Narumi. Tell him the truth. If someone doesn't want to kill someone. Don't kill them. It just... They made it seem like everyone HAD to follow the "fate" the other brother laid out for them. Just seems like a weak excuse. "I have to do this because the other brother said it'd happen this way".

Maybe this is why they didn't have a second season of the anime. The tone is completely different. (picked up in the manga where the anime left off). They probably knew this ending would NOT go over well with fans of the story.

Anyway, I'm disappointed with this ending. It would have been better (in my eyes) if the girl told Narumi the truth right before he went to face his brother, and then showed up to stand by him.
Nov 20, 2015 4:07 PM
Apr 2014
renders said:
shyblueangel said:

I don't think this is a particularly hard story to grasp, nor is the meaning behind it. People just simply don't seem to like the ending. I'm one of them. While it makes sense in one way, the actions of certain people in the story don't make sense, and are excused by "Because the older brother said it had to be this way".
Jun 10, 2016 5:10 PM
Sep 2011
the husband comes home after allowing many murders to try and elevate his little brother/clone to an example for a group of strangers by mentally and physically torturing him before his body breaks down and the wife doesn't really mind all that much.

i don't mind the unrealistic behavior of genetically bred rib-less children but, why are most of the normal people in the story completely insane.
i know the series want to portray themes of hope, forgiveness etc. but, there are obviously things any normal person would get angry or sad about.
Sep 2, 2018 2:19 AM

Sep 2017
TiamatNM said:
I just thought the conclusion he came to was really stupid. He decides to suffer as much as possible and by living on through that suffering he can show the blade children they can live on while bearing the pain as well. The "curse" on the blade children is badly explained anyway. As far as I can tell the only curse they have is that they are test tube babies with what I guess is a genetic predisposition to become a murderer. Kousuke, Rio, and maybe Eyes are already murderers though. Are they just going to get worse or something? If they know its a problem why don't they just support each other in ways that help them not go kill people? "oh Narumi is suffering so much! I guess I shouldn't kill people even though it's hard for me not to because he's shown me what real self control is!" Dumb

There's also the part where Narumi says he'll get everything back Kiyotaka took from him, and then as the ending plays out you see that he got back NOTHING. Kiyotaka is a happy ass bastard being married to Narumi's sister in law. Plus how are we supposed to know if Kiyotaka even wanted Narumi to kill him or not? He's like an unbeatable villain because anything you do might be part of his plans. So Narumi doesn't get with Madoka or Hiyono and he's gonna die in a few years due to body deterioration.

This manga has my least favorite ending to anything. Ever. Sorry for the long rant.

Lol I had doubts about hiyano from the beginning itself, but as the story got by I felt she was genuine...but I expected the twist lol...guess watching lot of detective stories actually makes you guess things haha
Feb 17, 2022 3:34 AM

Aug 2015
thomiozo said:
the husband comes home after allowing many murders to try and elevate his little brother/clone to an example for a group of strangers by mentally and physically torturing him before his body breaks down and the wife doesn't really mind all that much.

i don't mind the unrealistic behavior of genetically bred rib-less children but, why are most of the normal people in the story completely insane.
i know the series want to portray themes of hope, forgiveness etc. but, there are obviously things any normal person would get angry or sad about.

Yeah, I could never have put it better. This story was such a disappointment for me. The beginning is excellent, the drawing is gorgeous, but the plot and the lack of the logic... Damn, what a shame!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna Chapter 77 Discussion

TitanInsane - Jan 25, 2023

0 by TitanInsane »»
Jan 25, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna Chapter 76 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2015

0 by Stark700 »»
Nov 9, 2015 8:46 PM

» Question about this manga? SPOILER?

Groovy_Q - Jun 24, 2013

4 by renders »»
Feb 12, 2014 9:55 AM

Poll: » Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning Chapter 75 Discussion

Lunar191 - Nov 19, 2010

0 by Lunar191 »»
Nov 19, 2010 1:10 PM

Poll: » Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning Chapter 74 Discussion

Lunar191 - Nov 19, 2010

0 by Lunar191 »»
Nov 19, 2010 1:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.