Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 5, 2015 9:55 AM

Jan 2013
Have you ever interacted with autistic people or others with mental afflictions?

On several occasions I had to interact with autistic people. My cousin has downs and interacting with him isn't a pretty experience.

Nb4 "Yes, I post on MAL"
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 5, 2015 9:56 AM

Jan 2013
Yes, I post on MAL

Mar 5, 2015 9:56 AM

Sep 2013
4chan?
Mar 5, 2015 9:57 AM

Mar 2012
DoctorCaim said:
Nb4 "Yes, I post on MAL"
You know that there are people with autism/asperger in MAL, right?
Mar 5, 2015 9:57 AM

May 2014
Dealing with mentally retarded people is much more difficult than physical ones.

Autistic people (like really autistic) require alot of patience and time.
I've been here way too long...
Mar 5, 2015 9:59 AM

Jan 2013
yazio said:
DoctorCaim said:
Nb4 "Yes, I post on MAL"
Yes, I'm aware people with assburgers use MAL
Mar 5, 2015 9:59 AM

Aug 2014
Yeah, I talk to Filthy Frank and Red Dick on twitter.
Mar 5, 2015 10:00 AM

Jan 2013
MechaKiryu said:
They're personas tho
Mar 5, 2015 10:04 AM

Jul 2012
theres an amazing (and short) book written by a japanese kid
its called "the reason why i jump" (i think)
its a fascinating look into what its like to be autistic
i HIGHLY recommend it to anyone and everyone. its rather amazing.
Mar 5, 2015 10:10 AM

Aug 2014
DoctorCaim said:
MechaKiryu said:
They're personas tho
Still autistic.
Mar 5, 2015 10:12 AM

Aug 2014
I'll be honest, they're some very annoying people.
Mar 5, 2015 10:13 AM

Aug 2014
silversongwriter said:
I'm laughing because this is coming from you.
Mar 5, 2015 10:14 AM
Mar 2014
Yes, because I'm autistic.
Mar 5, 2015 10:15 AM

Aug 2014
MechaKiryu said:
silversongwriter said:

Luckilly me and the other normal kids would put them in their place
Mar 5, 2015 10:16 AM

Apr 2014
as much as people joke about autism, it really is hard to look at a real autistic person and not feel kinda I dunno, sad? I feel that way whenever I see anyone that is mentally impeded with a disease like that. autism, downs syndrome, extreme adhd. Things of that nature. I feel sad that they were born with such an inconvenience. that they can't experience a normal life.

One person I interacted with had down syndrome. And despite their "defect", they were one of the happiest people I've ever met in my life. It's such an inspiration. brings a tear to my eye. born with every disadvantage, but still as happy as ever.
Mar 5, 2015 10:16 AM

Aug 2014
silversongwriter said:
MechaKiryu said:

Sure sure~
Mar 5, 2015 10:17 AM

Nov 2013
I've met quite a few autistic people, both online and outside. The experience varies depending on how heavy their autism was.
Mar 5, 2015 10:17 AM

Aug 2013
I don't think I've ever encountered somebody with autism in the physical world. I've chatted with some people with aspergers on the Internet though, and they seem... kinda bland. They like to talk about the same shit nobody but them cares about, over and over. Is that how they tend to act in person as well? Anyway, that's my experience with them.

I don't really have the patience for that.
Mar 5, 2015 10:22 AM

Aug 2014
MechaKiryu said:
silversongwriter said:

Sure sure~

on a serious note, some of them are rather good people.

I don't care about autism, I treat people the same regardless... if someone pisses me off, I'll be a dick to them. I don't give a shit if they got autism or not. Because not all autistic people are fucking losers. Some are though. And they deserve to be picked on as much as a normal people who has the same type of personality.

Some kids deserve to be bullied, others don't. To be honest, as a child I had all the signs and symptoms of autism, but I was rightfully bullied and it forced me to stop being a freak

Personally, I think half the autistic kids are just sheltered little shit bags who have no social skills due to lack of life experiance rather than some disorder... but of course some really have it

Unless they have severe autism, not just mild autism/aspergers
Mar 5, 2015 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
I think I have some form of autism. Never been diagnosed though.

I've only known one other person irl who is openly autistic and she was quite the character. She was a bit annoying and intrusive at times but also very funny and out there. Autism is a very broad spectrum.
Mar 5, 2015 10:25 AM
Dec 2014
There's a rumor that Vladimir Putin is autistic.
j
Mar 5, 2015 10:28 AM

Jul 2014
Uhh one of my close friends has aspergers but it's not rly that severe he's a cool guy though ^^
Mar 5, 2015 10:32 AM

Mar 2014
yes, a guy in my school. He was a tiny bit different and unpredictable but he was ok. My cousin also has autism appearantly but i dont ever see him anyway
Mar 5, 2015 10:33 AM

Dec 2014
I have two nephews that have aspergers syndrome.
Mar 5, 2015 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
There was an autistic kid who had a crush on me... It was so sad D:
Mar 5, 2015 10:41 AM
Dec 2014
BunnyMe said:

:/ We are lucky that we are the way we are
j
Mar 5, 2015 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
ERiiK said:
BunnyMe said:

:/ We are lucky that we are the way we are

Yup ^.^
Mar 5, 2015 11:16 AM

Nov 2011
yazio said:
DoctorCaim said:
Nb4 "Yes, I post on MAL"

Hi. You found me.
Mar 5, 2015 11:28 AM

Jul 2013
I've been in relationships with a few people with Asperger's (high functioning autism). They've all been pretty nice people and not too hard to be around. The biggest thing with them is that they don't pick up on social ques as well, so they appear as rude to people who don't understand that they are autistic. I've never had a problem with any of them though (not Aspergers related, at least).

One of my best friends has a worse form of autism, though, and he's hard to be around and talk to. But he's still a nice guy, and I have plenty of fun when I see him, but he's a bit embarrassing and hard to be around. I can't really handle him when it's just the two of us.
Mar 5, 2015 11:29 AM

Oct 2014
autism meem is my favorite xD
i have interacted with autistic people before
Mar 5, 2015 11:32 AM
Dec 2010
vokisa said:
I've been in relationships with a few people with Asperger's (high functioning autism). They've all been pretty nice people and not too hard to be around. The biggest thing with them is that they don't pick up on social ques as well, so they appear as rude to people who don't understand that they are autistic. I've never had a problem with any of them though (not Aspergers related, at least).

One of my best friends has a worse form of autism, though, and he's hard to be around and talk to. But he's still a nice guy, and I have plenty of fun when I see him, but he's a bit embarrassing and hard to be around. I can't really handle him when it's just the two of us.

From my experience, it can be pretty hard to be around people with autism since they can easily be obsessed with certain things as well, and you have to constantly remind them that you are their friend, or that you do like them, yet they persist on having their own view.

Could be in conjunction with ADHD, but yeah... People with autism (higher-functional) are in general not that hard to associate with.
Mar 5, 2015 11:35 AM

Mar 2014
I deal with IlluminatLi everyday and it clearly, isn't a very pleasing experience.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Mar 5, 2015 11:37 AM
Jul 2018
geniobastardo said:
I deal with IlluminatLi everyday and it clearly, isn't a very pleasing experience.

Who is this "IlluminatLi" guy? Someone famous?
Mar 5, 2015 11:38 AM
Dec 2014
BunnyMe said:
geniobastardo said:

She's my garlicsoup brother, short story...
j
Feb 2014
Every time I view Anime Discussion.

cupc said:
Reddit?

ftfy

Jul 2014
BunnyMe said:
geniobastardo said:

IlluminatLi
Mar 5, 2015 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
Stalker-tan said:
vokisa said:

From my experience, it can be pretty hard to be around people with autism since they can easily be obsessed with certain things as well, and you have to constantly remind them that you are their friend, or that you do like them, yet they persist on having their own view.

Could be in conjunction with ADHD, but yeah... People with autism (higher-functional) are in general not that hard to associate with.

Yeah. My friend does definitely have ADHD along with autism. That's a terrible combination for a chill person like me to be around... But I love him regardless.

I think most people don't even recognize Asperger's people as being autistic because most of them blend in so well. I only knew my partners were because they told me. But some of their closest friends didn't know. Just picked up on they being a bit odd, but nothing too bad.
VokiMar 5, 2015 11:55 AM
Mar 5, 2015 11:54 AM

Jul 2012
I generally avoid those people as I'm bad at dealing with them.

I can only recall one experience with a medium functioning autistic kid they let in regular classes around my 7th grade year. He was quiet violent actually and difficult to deal with.
Mar 5, 2015 11:58 AM

Mar 2008
Why did you mention your cousin? Do you even know what downs syndrom or autism is? Totally different things.
Mar 5, 2015 11:58 AM

Apr 2013
I tried saying "hi" to one once but it didn't go so well.
That was my only interaction with autism ever.
Mar 5, 2015 12:04 PM

Oct 2012
geniobastardo said:

hahahahahhahahahahahha
why
just why.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

Then why am I dead?
Mar 5, 2015 12:06 PM

May 2012
There was some really weird kid I knew in high school that seemed autistic. His ability to read social cues was nonexistent and he just acted really creepy, especially around girls. He was also obsessed with Megaman for some reason. I always tried to avoid him.
Mar 5, 2015 12:06 PM

Mar 2014
IlluminatLi said:
geniobastardo said:

hahahahahhahahahahahha
why
just why.

by your line of reasoning: Why not?
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Mar 5, 2015 12:09 PM

Oct 2012
geniobastardo said:
IlluminatLi said:

hahahahahhahahahahahha
why
just why.

by your line of reasoning: Why not?

please use a line of reasoning I can understand. be considerate! you know I don't understand myself.

And to contribute to this thread:
My step-mother's nephew is autistic and he is very talented and lovely. He will hug you and kiss you and be completely honest with you. No superficiality whatsoever, and I appreciate that a lot.
Then why are we laughing?

Then why am I dead?
Mar 5, 2015 12:18 PM
Aug 2010
I met a guy with ASD on MAL he is nice. Very happy and polite. Of course he is special, but he's a good person. His messages are always very long though and at one point I forgot to respond ever and now I feel bad :(

Mar 5, 2015 12:35 PM

May 2010
Yes. For the last couple of years every summer I've been participating as a volunteer in camps created for children and young adults with different disorders, diseases, and even paralysis. Most of them suffer from genetic disorders like Down syndrome, Turner syndrome, Angelman syndrome, deafness..

For the first time it was a bit scary, so I had to take time and convince myself that they are ''normal'', because, believe it or not, they can sense the emotions of other people very well. In the last time there were 7 children under my wing. The intensity of a certain illness varies, but six of them were able (more or less) to participate in games and gymnastics. We got up around 06:00, I had to wash them and all that waking up routine, then came morning yoga, daily exercises, followed by breakfast. The rest of the day was filled with fun times - crafting, singing, painting, dancing etc. But because of how sensitive they are, once one of them got sad, angry or depressed, he/she was stubborn for hours, sitting in fetal position plucking grass. THAT WAS PAIN IN THE ASS!

The emotionally hardest part for me was the girl who couldn't move. She had a severe cerebral palsy so she was sitting in the wheelchair all the time. Tried to think of as many games as possible so she could feel included while others enjoyed themselves. Needless to say, we were the queens of racing. Those three weeks are all about being benevolent, and it is hard. Really hard. I remember the day before leaving, I called my mother but we got into a fight. Cried for hours. Haha.

But besides that I grew attached to them because they expressed what they knew as love like no one else. The end.
Mar 5, 2015 12:40 PM

Mar 2008
There was someone i went to high school with. Im not sure what he had but i presume hes autistic or highly schizophrenic. He was really into dragons and one teacher said one day talking to class that he could have a big dragon in his garage and people cant prove him wrong (its explaining about evidence and stuff) and then this guy shouts at him how he has the size of the dragon wrong and a lot of other weird complaints. If someone said leprechaun or meteor to him hed rage like crazy and chase them down.
Mar 5, 2015 12:51 PM

Jun 2014
I have a neighbor whos' child has autism. He's starting to speak a bit better now, but most of the time he just says "Eeeeeeeeee."

They discovered he had autism when he was a baby. He would see his reflection in the oven window, and do these things with his hands, as if he were conducting an orchestra. He also wouldn't respond to his name.

He's almost 6 now, and while he's doing better, he'll need help throughout his entire life. His parents also recently got him a "Autism Service Dog."

Mar 5, 2015 12:56 PM

Apr 2012
I've seen but never personally tried to communicate with autistic people in real life. Some have severe autism, and i feel a bit uncomfortable approaching them lol. Sorry if that came off as kinda mean but ye >_>.

People joke on the internet like huehue this chat is autistic, but jokes aside, it's a terrible affliction especially if it's in the more severe spectrum.

Mar 5, 2015 1:03 PM

Nov 2012
I honestly know very little about autism. All I know is that they seem to be even worse at noticing sarcasm than the regular online peeps.
BunnyMe said:
It's incredible, you managed to post about autism while yet again letting us know you are popular.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

29 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
52 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
1 hour ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
1 hour ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.