Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 20, 2009 1:53 PM

Sep 2007
Here's a topic I think anti-mystery and anti-fantasy fans alike can discuss.

It seems to me that the highest tier of conflicts in Umineko is the one between Bern, Lambda, and Beato. The three of them are the only characters not being played by some other character (I suppose you could make the argument that Beato should not be included in that group, and that Meta-Battler should be included, but I'll leave it to the three witches for simplicity's sake.) So the question is which of them is in the best position to take the game?

I am not sure how much has been revealed in the anime, so spoiler warnings if you haven't read EP4:

If you take Bern and Lambda's little rant during the "?????" section of EP4 at face value, then the two of them will gladly team up to thwart Beato if she gets too close to winning, with the implication that Beato could not possibly win against both of them at once.

However, the same argument could be applied to Bern's position. Should Battler get close to defeating Beato, then Beato and Lambda will naturally join forces against Bern. Bern is in the same "unwinnable" position as Beato.

On the other hand, Beato and Bern will never join forces against Lambda, since their goals run opposite to each other. One of them would have to switch to the opposite side and cause herself to lose the game in order to take out Lambda.

Based on this, you could say that Lambda has the advantage, but if you look at what Lambda is actually trying to accomplish, it becomes a bit iffy. Lambda has no "win" condition. She merely wants the game to go on forever, effectively keeping Bern locked in a cage for eternity. So unless the game goes on forever, Lambda will eventually lose.

Since none of the three witches can conceivably win... does that mean Lambda wins anyway? x_x
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 20, 2009 2:52 PM

Jul 2008
lol that is how I understood it for the time being.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Your favorite character^^ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsumu - Jul 21, 2009

253 by LeonhartAugust »»
Jun 4, 2021 11:18 AM

» Favorite Couples

GamzeeMakara - Aug 28, 2010

43 by Suzuka »»
May 23, 2018 12:10 PM

» Least favorite characters ( 1 2 3 )

z-pak - Aug 21, 2009

132 by Suzuka »»
May 14, 2018 2:44 PM

» Shkanontrice confirmed?? *spoiler

Razuhiko - Apr 26, 2014

1 by Alencia »»
Apr 29, 2014 6:18 AM

» Umineko Motion Graphics

Niacinamide - Dec 18, 2007

29 by Krunchy »»
Feb 15, 2014 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.