Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 29, 2014 1:57 PM
Jun 2013
Hi everyone ! I just went through the whole TTGL anime in the last two days and wanted to share something with other viewers. Obviously, spoilers may come ahead, so get the hell out of here if you haven't watch the entire show and do what you have to do, damn it !

Anyway, onto the main thing, I was first amused by this fun parodic shonen anime with outrageous batlle, nonsensical but badass lines and charismatic characters (Kamina FtW), then got incredibly surprised (I mean, how such thing could happen in this anime which didn't take itself seriously in the first place ?) and let manly tears flow at episode eight. Simon's depression then gradually becoming stronger made me then care for him and we got some absurd and epic battles. I was surprised to see Spiral King defeated in episode 16 since I first thought this anime would be a straight line to him, the "final boss", in episode 27. But no, instead we got a happy ending there and eleven episodes left. Why not ?

Onto the post-timeskip events then... First, I have to say, I love how Simon started as an unconfident little boy in episode 1 and became a powerful hero in the last one, but between the badass Simon in the last pre-timeskip episode and the first post-timeskip one, no character development happened. Sure, it's nice to see him and some other characters older, but was it really necessary ? I start to doubt so. And even though the last fight where each opponent throw galaxies at the other is very fun and epic to watch, and episode 26 being one of the best in the whole show, there is a lot I have to complain about.

The show, until then so "light" then became quite serious with political issues and strange depht in his story. Usually, I kinda like that sort of stuff, but that's not what I expected in this anime. But maybe that's just me. While the Ganmen (and obviously the humanoids) weren't especially charismatic, which was fine because no one asked them to be, the new opponents are completely hollow. Using Mia as a whole new plot device disappoint me a lot as well. I'm generally not a fond of the "going into space" kind of arc, and this one was no exception. As said before, the scenario became unnecessary complicated for me and made me wonder if I was watching the same anime as yesterday.

Overall, I like the show as a whole, but I'm still unsure how to rate it. What I'm sure of though, it's that if it ended on episode 15, it would have ended in my top 5 right away. But since most people seems to enjoy the second half more, I would like to know if there is some who thinks like me.

Also, don't think it's needed to say, but one never knows, all the text above is my own and only opinion, I'm not saying "Second half is shit and you're wrong if you don't think like me." or anything.

Your turn, then !
Nov 30, 2014 5:19 PM
Jan 2013
I think the whole entire show is perfect and awesome, but yeah I know what you mean. The second half was like a storm I didn't expect it, and WHY is Yoko x Simon not happen????
Dec 1, 2014 4:34 AM
Jun 2013
Well, Yoko got her two ex-boyfriends killed right after they kissed. One must think she is cursed or something. xD
Dec 1, 2014 10:07 PM

May 2014
NiSeKoi said:
I think the whole entire show is perfect and awesome, but yeah I know what you mean. The second half was like a storm I didn't expect it, and WHY is Yoko x Simon not happen????

Because Nia x Simon happened.

Anyways, I agree that the second half wasn't as impressive. The antagonists were lame as ever and the battles weren't even as exciting as the ones against Lordgenome's generals.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Dec 6, 2014 6:36 PM

Jul 2014
its because no Kamina.
Dec 9, 2014 5:15 PM

Jan 2011
I have put off watching this series for too long, I am talking years.

What made me finally watch it? On a whim I watched Kill La Kill and to my surprise I enjoyed it - it is surprising as usually that genre isn't for me.

I had to after my enjoyment of that, watch TTGL finally - unfortunately I didn't think it was all that. It is mecha and that usually isn't my thing (I could handle it in Code Geass somewhat - and I know Kill La Kill is psuedo mecha). I almost feel guilty to state that I preferred Kill La Kill, considering it is far more on the parody side of things while TTGL is a lot more serious.

I would still give the 2nd half more value than the 1st - maybe they overplay the death of Kamina too much - but I have to forgive them as this show is very old - since then many anime's/shows have come with the "tragedy" theme so I guess that may have desensitised me.
Dec 13, 2014 1:03 AM

Oct 2013
Ol-Hybrius said:
Well, Yoko got her two ex-boyfriends killed right after they kissed. One must think she is cursed or something. xD

Ahaha I thought the same thing after I finish the series XD well I actually thought the same. I prefer the first half somewhat better :/ I'm not sure how to explain it but it touch me more. Between Kamina and Nia's death I cried a waterfall for Kamina.

I also thought it finished at 15 and weep for a week but then I realize that it was more than that XD
Dec 31, 2014 1:27 PM
Dec 2014
Letitbe said:
I have put off watching this series for too long, I am talking years.

What made me finally watch it? On a whim I watched Kill La Kill and to my surprise I enjoyed it - it is surprising as usually that genre isn't for me.

I had to after my enjoyment of that, watch TTGL finally - unfortunately I didn't think it was all that. It is mecha and that usually isn't my thing (I could handle it in Code Geass somewhat - and I know Kill La Kill is psuedo mecha). I almost feel guilty to state that I preferred Kill La Kill, considering it is far more on the parody side of things while TTGL is a lot more serious.

I would still give the 2nd half more value than the 1st - maybe they overplay the death of Kamina too much - but I have to forgive them as this show is very old - since then many anime's/shows have come with the "tragedy" theme so I guess that may have desensitised me.

This guy thinks ttgl is about mecha XD
Dec 31, 2014 9:31 PM

Sep 2014
Ol-Hybrius said:

boyfriends? honestly? maybe you could go as far as call kamina her boyfriend (but truth is they barely got to know how they feel about each other and he died right away) but kittan merely kissed her himself, it's not like she loved him lol. but whatever

i liked both parts, but the second part was better IMO. why? in the first part simon is still a coward and a child, and I didn't really like kamina that much, he was annoying at times. whereas new simon is just awesome, way better than kamina ever was. also nia x simon finally happens. not to mention the fights which are way more crazy and enjoyable in the second part. but well, it's not like i don't like the first part, i like both of them a lot and TTGL got into my top 5 right away. I just enjoy the second part a lot more, mainly because simon grew to be an amazing character
Jun 22, 2015 6:46 AM

May 2013
About half-way though the series was at it best. Characters motivations got reveled and things explained. Start and end were basically pointless repetition with start beating the end...
Jun 27, 2015 5:11 PM

Jan 2015
I think its totally based on your personal taste, i personally almost dropped this because i hated the first half and couldn't stand Kamina for 99% of it, but chose to push forward and loved the second half (it saved it for me). Personally if i watch it again down the road i will just watch the recap episode and the second half.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.