Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2009 9:56 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The concept of this anime was very interesting. It took place on a sketch artists board. Didn't see that coming when I first saw this on MAL.
Mar 19, 2012 2:34 PM

Apr 2009
I've always liked Yoshitaka Amano's works and this is no exception. The "almost" still animation, narration, and the especially the VA's sultry voices on those uhmm.... sex scenes almost lulled me into thinking I must be listening to a radio show and not watching something on the screen.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 9, 2012 8:59 PM

Apr 2012
yeah the voices are great, especially in those "breathy" scenes. Great sound, art, use of light and motion in this, very effective
Aug 19, 2013 9:25 PM

May 2010
It kind of reminded me of the Odyssey at first (Calypso anyone?), but then it went into a melodramatic apocalypse scenario. The plot had me a bit skeptical, but I really liked the whole idea of making an "animation" with an absolute minimum of actual movement. This is the second "ganime" title I've seen, after G-9, and I think I like this one better. I'm glad that Toei isn't afraid to produce such experimental works like this that are pretty much guaranteed to fail commercially.
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 1, 2014 2:15 PM

Oct 2011
amono sensei is a god of art - this one really moved me on a deep level - some of the most breath-taking art ever! what the hell ever happened to deva zan?
Nov 16, 2015 6:42 AM

Nov 2011
Amano you fucking genius

This could serve as a great legend in a 16-bit FF game.
Oct 19, 2019 12:42 PM

Oct 2015
I liked the plot twist, whereby the woman was really the goddess and she killed everyone so she can be with him. That was very touching, especially when he wanted her to free him from eternal life. I'm also glad he got reborn, and start afresh from all the madness he had to go through in his previous life. I guess at the end, mothers are the most important figures you can never go wrong. The movie's message leaned towards showing how relationships can be twisted and straining, so much that you feel detached. At the end of the day Mothers are the true goddesses of our world, that we should always cherish. Their love are like the ocean, they live through years and years, hence the shell. Or at least I think that was the message.

This was a unique movie. I liked the unique story telling, and how the writer projected the story. I was glued to the screen, so enveloped in the man's morbid story. This was truly amazing, I hope I could watch this type of film again. The art was wonderful, the story progression was also splendid.

7/10.
lihle808Oct 19, 2019 12:45 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 13, 2020 2:29 PM

Aug 2017
I really got into the mood, nice choices about artstyle, and the voices felt very "real", not exactly like anime. Hard to explain. Almost like the characters were voiced by people with no training or something like that. It was cool. Though I wish that the artstyle remained consistent and didn't change for the rebirth scene. 9/10
Dec 21, 2023 11:35 AM
Feb 2021
A simple and beautiful piece. Unusual animation style, feels like a version of Belladonna of Sadness updated with some digital effects and a far more minimalistic colour palette.

Story-wise, I took it as cycles of grief and depression. That the pain and loneliness they create can only be overcome by trusting in another again.

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.