Forum Settings
Forums

Anime or Manga in which the MC sacrifices himself for a greater cause?

New
Aug 30, 2014 1:54 PM

Jun 2012
He doesn't need to die per say, just looking for an anime in which the MC sacrifices himself for a greater cause (e.g Code Geass)

Also any anime with the MC constantly helping other people but at the cost of his own well being/happiness is fine with me.

Serial lurker
Aug 30, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2012
Anime:
Shinsekai Yori
Monster
Sidonia no Kishi

Manga:
Record of a Fallen Vampire (exactly like Code geass..)
Aug 30, 2014 1:56 PM

Mar 2014
Inferno Cop
Aug 30, 2014 2:02 PM

Jul 2014
Guilty Crown
Aug 30, 2014 2:08 PM

Jan 2011
MC sacrifices himself for a greater cause
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa - read the manga since the anime didnt got to the part you want
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

MC constantly helping other people but at the cost of his own well being/happiness
Now and Then, Here and There
Monster
Angel Beats!
Aug 30, 2014 2:27 PM

Jun 2012
mclovinballz said:
Inferno Cop
Isn't this really shitty?
silversaint said:
MC sacrifices himself for a greater cause
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa - read the manga since the anime didnt got to the part you want
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

MC constantly helping other people but at the cost of his own well being/happiness
Now and Then, Here and There
Monster
Angel Beats!
Thanks, Now and Then, Here and There and Monster look interesting. I've seen parts of Mahou Shoujo/LOGH/Lost Canvas but they didn't really interest me.
SupaNiper said:
Angel Beats! ??
I thought Angel beats was a Rom-Com or something of the such?

Serial lurker
Aug 30, 2014 2:29 PM

Jul 2014
Angel Beats is a lot of things, it has comedy, sad stuff, action, romance. MC does do a lot of stuff for people, but he doesn't lose much from it. Until the end. But then that ending...
Aug 30, 2014 2:59 PM

Jun 2014
Higashi no eden - the mc is a scapegoat ala Lelouch
Aug 30, 2014 4:07 PM

Sep 2013

I have a few off the top of my head:
Aug 30, 2014 4:10 PM

Jul 2014
You should just assume topics with titles like this have spoilers of some sort...
Aug 30, 2014 7:07 PM

Jun 2012
xRatatosk said:
You should just assume topics with titles like this have spoilers of some sort...
Yeah I mean I don't really mind the spoilers, even if I know the end results I want to know the journey about how they got there.

blessofcurse said:
Higashi no eden - the mc is a scapegoat ala Lelouch
I've been seriously considering this but I got bored of it just 1 episode in, does it pick up later on or does it stay semi-serious? I already know the ending so don't worry about spoiling it

Serial lurker
Aug 30, 2014 10:49 PM

Aug 2014
alex70031 said:
I've been seriously considering this but I got bored of it just 1 episode in, does it pick up later on or does it stay semi-serious? I already know the ending so don't worry about spoiling it

I got a bit bored from episode 1 as well. It does pick up though in my opinion. There's quite a few awesome and sad moments in it. Don't want to spoil too much though even if you do know the ending.
Aug 31, 2014 12:28 AM

Jun 2012
ultimates said:
alex70031 said:

I got a bit bored from episode 1 as well. It does pick up though in my opinion. There's quite a few awesome and sad moments in it. Don't want to spoil too much though even if you do know the ending.
Alright then, thanks a lot man

Serial lurker
Aug 31, 2014 12:39 AM

May 2012
Fate/Zero
Aug 31, 2014 12:46 AM

Jun 2012
Ryugen said:
Fate/Zero
Seen it,sorry updated my list.

Serial lurker
Sep 1, 2014 12:32 AM
Apr 2014
In Yahari ore no seishun, Hikki plays the scapegoat so the blame doesn't go on somebody else.
Sep 1, 2014 12:59 AM

Apr 2014
Cant believe noone wrote this or i just didnt see it but code geass
Sep 1, 2014 1:10 AM

Dec 2011
PSB123 said:
PSB123 said:

Because it was his example in the opening post? Are you blind?

Lelouch didn't die by the way.
"Neither devil nor death. I am just murder."
Sep 1, 2014 1:10 AM

Dec 2011
PSB123 said:
PSB123 said:

"Neither devil nor death. I am just murder."
Sep 1, 2014 1:11 AM
Oct 2011
1. Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
I know you said you dropped this one, but I still recommend it. Even though it looks all cutesy and girly, all of a sudden it just gets really dark and sometimes stressful to watch haha. But someone definitely does sacrifice themselves to save the world. This one's a dead ringer for that.

2. Shinsekai Yori
If you can handle the bad art in some of the beginning episodes, this one's really good and also very dark as well. I guess the first guy that sacrifices himself for the greater cause would be Shun. But a lot more comes after that.

3. Mawaru Penguindrum
This one is really symbolic and beautiful if you get past all the random penguins and magical girl transformations haha. Towards the end is where you'll get what you asked for in an anime.

4. Kyousou Giga
There's this man that can make whatever he draws come to life. He creates his own family and a whole new world for them to hide in, but then things go wrong.

5. Nabari no Ou
Yoite wants his wish to be granted, but his wish sacrifices himself.

6. Steins;Gate
This one is about time traveling. It starts off slow, but then gets tragic. Okabe is the main character. He does everything he can to save his world, sacrificing lives and his own sanity.

7. Natsume Yuujinchou
This one is a bit lighter. Natsume is trying to get names back to spirits. His character has the tendency to not care about his own well-being as much.

8. Princess Tutu
If you can't handle ballet, then I wouldn't watch this because there's a lot of ballet in it haha. But the story picks up in the later episodes and you see a lot of people sacrificing themselves.

9. Mekakucity Actors
You figure out when watching that a girl dies, and she's the girl that sacrifices herself for a greater cause.

10. Inu x Boku SS
Miketsukami constantly acts like he's not good enough for Ririchiyo. This anime's more on the romance/comedy side. A lot lighter than all of the others I've mentioned.

11. Higashi no Eden
I saw you said you dropped this one too, but it really picks up later.

12. Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru
The main character Yuki sacrifices himself a lot. He's one of those characters that's just too nice for his own good.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope you find it helpful!
nyanko-sensei749Sep 1, 2014 1:17 AM
Sep 1, 2014 2:31 AM
Apr 2014
Uh, I don't know where you got that Lelouch wasn't dead, but he is...
Sep 2, 2014 3:53 PM

Jun 2012
JhonMcain said:
In Yahari ore no seishun, Hikki plays the scapegoat so the blame doesn't go on somebody else.
Seen it, I love this anime too! Can't wait for the next season.

Serial lurker
Sep 2, 2014 3:54 PM

Jun 2012
WhySoMadDoe said:
PSB123 said:
PSB123 said:

I'd rather not turn the thread into a who died or who didn't die...but I thought the consensus was that he died?

Serial lurker
Sep 2, 2014 4:02 PM

Jun 2012
nyanko-sensei749 said:
1. Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
I know you said you dropped this one, but I still recommend it. Even though it looks all cutesy and girly, all of a sudden it just gets really dark and sometimes stressful to watch haha. But someone definitely does sacrifice themselves to save the world. This one's a dead ringer for that.

2. Shinsekai Yori
If you can handle the bad art in some of the beginning episodes, this one's really good and also very dark as well. I guess the first guy that sacrifices himself for the greater cause would be Shun. But a lot more comes after that.

3. Mawaru Penguindrum
This one is really symbolic and beautiful if you get past all the random penguins and magical girl transformations haha. Towards the end is where you'll get what you asked for in an anime.

4. Kyousou Giga
There's this man that can make whatever he draws come to life. He creates his own family and a whole new world for them to hide in, but then things go wrong.

5. Nabari no Ou
Yoite wants his wish to be granted, but his wish sacrifices himself.

6. Steins;Gate
This one is about time traveling. It starts off slow, but then gets tragic. Okabe is the main character. He does everything he can to save his world, sacrificing lives and his own sanity.

7. Natsume Yuujinchou
This one is a bit lighter. Natsume is trying to get names back to spirits. His character has the tendency to not care about his own well-being as much.

8. Princess Tutu
If you can't handle ballet, then I wouldn't watch this because there's a lot of ballet in it haha. But the story picks up in the later episodes and you see a lot of people sacrificing themselves.

9. Mekakucity Actors
You figure out when watching that a girl dies, and she's the girl that sacrifices herself for a greater cause.

10. Inu x Boku SS
Miketsukami constantly acts like he's not good enough for Ririchiyo. This anime's more on the romance/comedy side. A lot lighter than all of the others I've mentioned.

11. Higashi no Eden
I saw you said you dropped this one too, but it really picks up later.

12. Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru
The main character Yuki sacrifices himself a lot. He's one of those characters that's just too nice for his own good.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope you find it helpful!
I'm gonna pick up Eden again and give it another try, thanks.

As for your others, I can't get into the shoujo ones, I've read the manga to City Actors, I've seen Ino x Boku SS, Just finished Stein's Gate (it was amazing), Kyouso Giga looks interesting, Nabari No Ou I've seen, Mawaru Penguin looks cool I'll give it a shot, Shinseki Yori looks cool, as for Madoka I don't ever plan on watching it; I've seen a bunch of spoilers on it to see if I would be interested in it and it just doesn't interest me.

Serial lurker

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 9 hours ago

6 by silversaint »»
2 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
2 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
3 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
7 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.