Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you think the rules for this forum should be amended to prohibit sexist and racist threads?
Aug 26, 2014 10:21 PM

Dec 2013
I have noticed that there are a lot of sexist and racist threads. They always play it off as if they are legitimately trying to discuss a "sensitive" topic, but even if they really are being serious, the discussion always devolves into a flame war. The moderators can't do anything about it, because there isn't a specific rule against it.

Thoughts?
Aug 26, 2014 10:23 PM

Dec 2013
PerfectScore said:
Ignore them.

If ignore them was the solution, then there shouldn't be any topics that are prohibited.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but that isn't the case.

So, since there are prohibited topics, I feel it is only fair that the topics that are prohibited are actually topics that should be prohibited.
Aug 26, 2014 10:25 PM
Jul 2018
I'd ignore them life's too short to make a big deal about things that don't really matter.
Aug 26, 2014 10:26 PM

Sep 2012
If you're looking for a serious discussion then this sub-forum is not for you.

This sub-forum is baiting, flaming, and shitposting exclusive.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 26, 2014 10:29 PM

Dec 2013
Korrvo said:

Except it's not. Look at the rules. They prohibit even the most harmless of topics. How such things got banned is beyond me. Yet they allow sexist and racist threads.
Aug 26, 2014 10:29 PM

Feb 2012
sargos7 said:
The moderators can't do anything about it, because there isn't a specific rule against it.

That's complete bs. This isn't some courtroom. They can do whatever the hell they please. But you see, MAL feeds on these types of threads, kind of like GameFAQs or something. It's important to keep them going.
Aug 26, 2014 10:32 PM

Sep 2012
sargos7 said:

Except it's not.
Oh, but it is.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 26, 2014 10:33 PM

Dec 2013
The very fact the there are some people voting no is proof that there are people who come here with full intent to be sexist and racist in their posts.
Aug 26, 2014 10:33 PM

Sep 2012
I usually take those threads seriously.

If the topic being made is redundant or already done before, report it. If it is blatant trolling or spam, report it. If it is a legitimate discussion, either contribute or leave.
Aug 26, 2014 10:39 PM

Dec 2013
PerfectScore said:
sargos7 said:

If ignore them was the solution, then there shouldn't be any topics that are prohibited.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but that isn't the case.

So, since there are prohibited topics, I feel it is only fair that the topics that are prohibited are actually topics that should be prohibited.

If the topic at hand can be discussed in a mature manner, then feel free to express your opinion. If you spot a flamer, you have a choice to engage in a debate. This is a casual discussion board, so expect comments ranging from a serious conversation to edgy trolling. In any of these cases, they may still induce discussion, which is the purpose of this section of the forum.

But what about the topics that could have discussion value, that get locked before anyone has a chance to find out, just because they are against the rules? Is it fair to have some topics like that? Is it fair that those topics aren't even offensive in any way? Doesn't it make more sense that something that actually is offensive should be a topic that is banned instead?
Aug 26, 2014 10:58 PM

Mar 2014
New to the forums?
Aug 26, 2014 11:14 PM
Nov 2008
no, because you likely have a one-sided view of sexism and racism.
Aug 26, 2014 11:31 PM

Jul 2014
Observing the high amount of post/threads per minute created of this forums, I am not surprised to see sensitive topics getting out of control not being moderated. Once I reported a thread beause it was getting too NSFW, and mod came some minutes later to clean it.

If you feel like a thread is breaking the rules you only have to report it, and wait for a mod to act.
Aug 27, 2014 12:41 AM
Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
I have noticed that there are a lot of sexist and racist threads. They always play it off as if they are legitimately trying to discuss a "sensitive" topic, but even if they really are being serious, the discussion always devolves into a flame war. The moderators can't do anything about it, because there isn't a specific rule against it.

Thoughts?

Welcome to hipster's irony, my friend.

Trust me, it's better if you just walk away from it at all costs.
Aug 27, 2014 2:14 AM

Feb 2014
Don't take the b8, simple as that

Aug 27, 2014 2:24 AM

Apr 2014
This forum is American-based, right? So I think free speech should be allowed, even if it's hate speech. But that's just like my opinion, anyway (and I'm European, so yeah).
SzJAug 27, 2014 2:27 AM
your waifu is shit
Aug 27, 2014 6:16 AM

Mar 2014
everything can cause flamewar so lets ban forum itself.

you cant forbid most interesting topics just because few guys are intolerant. and even if they are intolerant they still have right to say their opinion even if it causes flamewars.

so my vote is NO.

Korrvo said:

this is the reason why you'd never see me anywhere else.
Siscon2000Aug 27, 2014 6:49 AM
please sell me the condom, mister
I would like to fuck my sister!
condoms really worth to keep
I will fuck her very deep!
could you be my condom keeper?
so I could try to fuck her deeper!

please think I m stupid but please dont think I m a troll.
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://protpisaenglish.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzn0J8cfrY
Aug 27, 2014 6:58 AM

Jul 2014
I'm quite surprised by the amount of casual racism we see on this board TBH. That's the type of thing I'd expect from a tea party forum, not an animé forum.

I'm one to give the benefit of the doubt tough, I think most ppl who post racist statements are just trollin' / doing it for the lulz.

Also I agree with the sentiment than more rules is the very last thing this board needs. I find racist despicable but they still have the right to free speech!
Aug 27, 2014 6:59 AM

Jul 2014
No, they're really entertaining.
Aug 27, 2014 7:16 AM

Aug 2013
JeanQuebecois said:
I'm quite surprised by the amount of casual racism we see on this board TBH. That's the type of thing I'd expect from a tea party forum, not an animé forum.

I'm one to give the benefit of the doubt tough, I think most ppl who post racist statements are just trollin' / doing it for the lulz.

Also I agree with the sentiment than more rules is the very last thing this board needs. I find racist despicable but they still have the right to free speech!

Welcome to the internet...
Aug 27, 2014 7:17 AM

Jun 2008
Every once in a while a meta thread gets made on stuff like this lol

And what you need to know is, you're giving more attention to these people to make more threads like it. A forum naturally goes through phases and sometimes do not need any moderator intervention to switch the topics around a bit. The only thing they need to do is get rid of problematic users that consistently makes these threads a "flamefest", so to speak.
JeanQuebecois said:

I like to think most people are joking too, but meh, lol. Bigots are still everywhere.

Although I do find certain words like "homophobic" or "sexist" gets used way too much just for minor comments someone else has made. It's like a new wave of pseudo-bigots or something.
Aug 27, 2014 7:32 AM
Mar 2013
Korrvo said:

as a casual discussion regular I am somewhat offended by these comments.

we can have discussions on many different subjects, some that would be considered taboo in real life. the reason we have a lot of threads about racism and sexism is because we can't openly discuss them in public due to the fear of being branded a racist or a sexist, so we discuss them somewhere where our social reputation won't be affected by our possibly controversial opinions.
Aug 27, 2014 7:37 AM

Sep 2012
Tachii said:
Although I do find certain words like "homophobic" or "sexist" gets used way too much just for minor comments someone else has made. It's like a new wave of pseudo-bigots or something.
"ur a bigot if you call my sexist and homophobic remarks sexist or homophobic."

Lol
Aug 27, 2014 7:39 AM

Jun 2008
But it really isn't. Someone happen to casually joke about something about being gay and all of a sudden people jump on them and call them homophobic? Not every comment comes from someone who hates on gay people nor is the tone even remotely serious unless the person calling the other homophobic is way too uptight and ignorant of intention. It's used so commonly and often in a very serious tone as well. Though I probably shouldn't even reply to an obvious baiting comment I guess.
TachiiAug 27, 2014 7:43 AM
Aug 27, 2014 7:46 AM

Mar 2012
sargos7 said:
The moderators can't do anything about it, because there isn't a specific rule against it.
Or course they can. You can always make a report asking for a thread cleanup.
Aug 27, 2014 7:50 AM
Jul 2014
Tachii said:
But it really isn't. Someone happen to casually joke about something about being gay and all of a sudden people jump on them and call them homophobic? Not every comment comes from someone who hates on gay people nor is the tone even remotely serious unless the person calling the other homophobic is way too uptight and ignorant of intention. It's used so commonly and often in a very serious tone as well. Though I probably shouldn't even reply to an obvious baiting comment I guess.
Then perhaps people should notify others when they say a casual joke. I can't think of any alternative to avoid it since it's pretty easy to misinterpret something just from a bit of text.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 27, 2014 8:03 AM

Jun 2008
Well, casual joke certainly isn't required to specify itself as such, or it ceases to be casual, I think. It's unfortunate that people will often take things out of context or make things more serious than they actually are (me included), but I don't think anyone should judge a person just from one comment they made. And this is what I mean. It usually isn't about "woah your comment if homophobic", people go full out and say "you're a homophobic bigot". It's things like that that's just very judgmental with how limited information they have of another person. To be fair, there's also equally as many if not more people who go out of their way to say "what a faggot" or "what a whore", but why would people who aren't a bigot sink to their level? Hmm.
Aug 27, 2014 8:07 AM

Sep 2012
Tachii said:
Someone happen to casually joke about something about being gay and all of a sudden people jump on them and call them homophobic?
Why is being gay a joke or funny?

Why are you opposed to homophobic remarks being called out as homophobic?
Aug 27, 2014 8:14 AM
Mar 2013
Red_Keys said:
Tachii said:
Someone happen to casually joke about something about being gay and all of a sudden people jump on them and call them homophobic?
Why is being gay a joke or funny?

Why are you opposed to homophobic remarks being called out as homophobic?
take the word faggot. when you call someone a faggot, you don't mean they're gay, even though that is the original meaning of the word. despite its change in meaning, some people still take as a homophobic insult even though it wasn't intended to be homophobic
Aug 27, 2014 8:15 AM

Jun 2008
Anything can be funny for me. Being gay. Being straight. Being old. Being young. Being a guy. Being a girl. Etcetc. Not sure why being gay CAN'T be funny. As for why I find any of those characteristics funny, I guess it depends on the context of the joke. In which I really can't explain since there can be many possibilities for why I find something funny.

I'm more opposed at people calling the entire person a homophobic scum, than just calling their remarks homophobic, and I'd say the former actually happens more often than the latter. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Think of how people make racist jokes but isn't actually a racist. I'm pretty much applying the samething here. Except for some reason or another, gay jokes seem to get many sensitive about it and attribute the person who said it a homophobic.
TachiiAug 27, 2014 8:19 AM
Aug 27, 2014 8:23 AM

Sep 2012
Tachii said:
Anything can be funny for me. Being gay. Being straight. Being old. Being young. Being a guy. Being a girl. Etcetc. Not sure why being gay CAN'T be funny. As for why I find any of those characteristics funny, I guess it depends on the context of the joke. In which I really can't explain since there can be many possibilities for why I find something funny.
I'd say you have a lousy sense of humor if you can laugh at literally any mundane personal trait no matter how average or typical.

And excluding yourself, taking into account a cultural perspective, why is gayness or being gay humorous?

Tachii said:
I'm more opposed at people calling the entire person a homophobic scum, than just calling their remarks homophobic, and I'd say the former actually happens more often than the latter. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I'd say on an internet forum that distinction is irrelevant.

The only thing anybody has to judge anybody else by is the words they write for others to see. If you write homophobic words, have homophobic ideas, have a sense of humor that is based in cultural homophobia, and are averse to being scrutinized or criticized for their use of homophobic language and rhetoric, I see no reason not to judge their personal character based on those factors.

If you don't want to be called homophobic, stop being homophobic.

I also find it ironic that you oppose to somebody judging a person's entire character over the internet, yet you seem to have no problem mocking a person's entire sexual identity over the internet.
Red_KeysAug 27, 2014 8:27 AM
Aug 27, 2014 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
There's no reason to care about piddling things
Aug 27, 2014 8:36 AM

Mar 2014
I think what Tachii is getting at is the ability to laugh at one's self. If you got your fucking knickers in a twist every single time somebody mentioned the word gay in a disparaging context, you wouldn't get far in society.
Aug 27, 2014 8:46 AM
Jun 2014
I have no problem with Keys but he seems to be very touchy when people talk about gays and super masculine men.

I have no problem with queers and I find nothing funny about them but DAMN they're missing out. If there is a god, women is the greatest think he created.

'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Aug 27, 2014 8:48 AM

Sep 2012
Cyaegha said:
I think what Tachii is getting at is the ability to laugh at one's self.
Why would I laugh at something that is not funny? The concept of "laughing at yourself" is usually used in context to a personal flaw, mistake, or any other trait or action that somebody would otherwise be embarrassed or insecure about. I don't see why gayness should be considered something shameful and in need of "laughing at yourself" in order to cope with it.

Nobody has answered my simple question. Why is being gay funny?

"It depends on the context" isn't an answer, because literally every interaction and thought that has any sort of conceivable meaning to the human brain "depends on the context" to even begin to make sense. What context?

Cyaegha said:
If you got your fucking knickers in a twist every single time somebody mentioned the word gay in a disparaging context, you wouldn't get far in society.
When your sexuality is synonymous for the word "bad" and represents all that is unpleasant and undesirable, I'd say "getting your knickers in a twist" any time somebody blatantly perpetuates that hateful, dogmatic, bigoted, discriminatory, and disgusting mindset and cultural value is pretty damn understandable, if not a giant under-reaction.
Aug 27, 2014 8:56 AM

Mar 2014
Red_Keys said:

Nobody has answered my simple question. Why is being gay funny?

You are acting as if gays are the only people who have been oppressed at any point in time. And as far as I remember, you actively flaunt, or have flaunted, your sexuality as a means to grab attention.
Aug 27, 2014 8:57 AM

Jun 2008
lol, I don't think I've mocked any sexual identity, for it's not me that have been called homophobic for making those jokes. I'm just observing what other people write, and how other people react to their writing. If you are referring to the fact that I laugh at these jokes, well, like I said, I laugh at pretty much any type of joke, regardless of sexual identity, so that's not really a correct assessment either.

You seem a bit too sensitive on this subject, and I honestly don't think me explaining it any further will get you to understand or change your views. You aren't even the type of person I was judging on. Some people really take it out of proportion, but you certainly are going that way the more you write. Even going as far as critiquing my sense of humour. Or even admitting people are homophobic just because they make jokes of it. I do want to know though, would you consider people who make racist jokes, racists? Because if I recall correctly, that was not your stance in that other thread. This is literally no different. But since you're sensitive on this issue, you obviously can't find humour around it. And I find explaining humour to be an extremely fruitless exercise in writing, since it's so subjective. If my sense of humour is lousy, then there's your explanation. It's lousy.
TachiiAug 27, 2014 9:01 AM
Aug 27, 2014 8:59 AM
Jul 2014
Red_Keys said:
"It depends on the context" isn't an answer, because literally every interaction and thought that has any sort of conceivable meaning to the human brain "depends on the context" to even begin to make sense. What context?
Not all jokes about gays are funny, nobody has said that they are, so to ask about why they are funny in general is pretty difficult to answer. Saying "It depends on the context" is the easiest way to answer. This may be because the person who is subjected to this humor thinks a particular trait or stereotype that is mentioned is funny rather than being gay itself.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 27, 2014 9:00 AM

Sep 2012
Cyaegha said:
You are acting as if gays are the only people who have been oppressed at any point in time.
Can you specifically quote what I said that gives you that idea? I'm honestly curious, because I have no idea how you're rationalizing this..

Cyaegha said:
And as far as I remember, you actively flaunt, or have flaunted, your sexuality as a means to grab attention.
Yes I have. But in ways that are either not homophobic, or mockingly homophobic in order to make fun of homophobia itself. So... I hardly see how that is relevant to anything.
Aug 27, 2014 9:04 AM

May 2014
Red_Keys said:
Cyaegha said:
You are acting as if gays are the only people who have been oppressed at any point in time.
Can you specifically quote what I said that gives you that idea? I'm honestly curious, because I have no idea how you're rationalizing this..

Cyaegha said:
And as far as I remember, you actively flaunt, or have flaunted, your sexuality as a means to grab attention.
Yes I have. But in ways that are either not homophobic, or mockingly homophobic in order to make fun of homophobia itself. So... I hardly see how that is relevant to anything.

Are you gay?
Aug 27, 2014 9:05 AM

Mar 2014
Red_Keys said:
Cyaegha said:

It means I am not seeing this as anything approximating an actual argument, because evidently this has been done to death. Due to that fact, I'm dead certain that this is not going to get anywhere fast. I renege.
Aug 27, 2014 9:37 AM

Mar 2009
Thread cleaned and moved.

Admittedly there are indeed quite a number of duplicate threads on the same topics over and over again, but controversial topics like these will be found in any forum.
There can't always be exciting discussion, so whenever there's a standstill a new controversial topic gets opened that's immediately flooded with replies.
Emotions will always run high with these kinds of threads, as opposed to say, a thread about dreams. That this doesn't mean offensive posts or racist/sexist remarks are allowed should be obvious.
So unless they are the blatantly trolling type I don't think these kinds of threads need to be banned. Just supervised. Within the realms of possibility.
Aug 27, 2014 11:34 PM

Jul 2013
Sexist and racist? Is this pro or anti? Are these topics even taboo anymore? HuhHuhHuh?
Madao
Aug 27, 2014 11:59 PM

Dec 2013
This is one of those issues that you can't just censor. You shouldn't take away someone's right to free speech because you disagree with it or else free speech doesn't really exist. When it comes to free speech, either everything is okay to say or none of it is. If you have a problem with it then talk to the people in the forum and try to debate and discuss over what you disagree with and maybe even change their mind while you're at it but you shouldn't take away their ability to express it. Look at the whole Zoe Quinn debacle. People weren't mad at how she slept with people to get into the industry and get favorable press. They were mad that when she was called out for it, she would just use shady practices and her connections to have their statement removed from whatever website

You can't make rules against what some may believe to be sexist or racist threads just because there are so many different shades of gray on that matter. I may find something to be completely racist but you may find it okay or you could find something completely sexist but I could think it's okay.
YouAreNotSugoiAug 28, 2014 12:03 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2014 6:52 AM

Apr 2012
IktIkn said:
This forum is American-based, right? So I think free speech should be allowed, even if it's hate speech. But that's just like my opinion, anyway (and I'm European, so yeah).

This forum isn't based on any one nations culture. Where do you people come up with these things?
Sep 10, 2014 7:22 PM
Aug 2011
The problem with setting out rules "I'm offended therefore it should be banned" is where you draw the line. Virtually any topic will offend *someone* and virtually anything can be held to be sexist. That can go both ways, too. Many feminist topics would also get banned.

A feminist makes a topic that all male anime viewers are promoting rape culture? That would offend MANY people, yet the OP would probably say the people who are offended are merely evil misogynists (never mind that insinuating someone is a rapist or rape supporter is highly offensive). So we get back to this thing about making a political decision about who is "allowed" to be offended and about what topics, and anyone offended by the opposite topics, well they can just go and fuck themselves. Would the OP also ban religious intolerance? No atheists should be allowed to post their views then.

Ok, lets work out some ground rules:

First up, we clearly ban all references to female sexuality, since those are sexist against women. But we also ban all references to male sexuality, because, feminists widely hold those are also off-putting to women / exclude women from the conversation. So nobody is allowed to discuss any remotely "adult" topics at all and we sanitize the whole thing. Of course shipping male x female characters is banned because that's heteronormative and excludes gays, and homosexual shipping is banned because it offends christian women.

And yes, we DO have to take into account whether christian women anime viewers are offended by references to gay anime characters. Or are you going to say "i'm the artibrator of which women are allowed to be offended, and what topics they're allowed to be offended by"? If you're not going to seriously consider the opinions of Christian women (who are the majority of women in the USA) you're clearly not really talking for women as a whole when going against "sexism" you're only talking for women who already agree with you.

The whole thing is premised on this really outdated notion that women are precious flowers who need to be protected from bad language and the like. Is this view actually as progressive as people think? Treating women differently isn't really equality, and the idea that we have to "G-rate" everything so women feel comfortable infantilizes and diminishes women are adults who can take care of themselves. Banning all topics that might hurt a woman's feelings is basically saying they're all weak and need male protection.
cipheronSep 10, 2014 8:00 PM
Sep 10, 2014 11:44 PM

Mar 2013
Oddyeus said:
IktIkn said:

This forum isn't based on any one nations culture. Where do you people come up with these things?
He just said because the people who own mal are based in america.

don't get mad at our freedom
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Sep 11, 2014 12:04 AM
Nov 2011
IktIkn said:

That's not how any of it works. MAL isn't publicly owned and can do whatever the hell they want, including and not limited to censoring people and banning them. Don't like it? Leave.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.