Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 24, 2014 7:58 AM

Aug 2014
It was a great anime, with a good but not great ending.
What's everyone elses thoughts on it? I am currently going through post completion syndrome XD
Aug 24, 2014 8:10 AM

Nov 2009
Tried to be Toradora but failed in my opinion. The drama was very similar in alot of respects.

This should probably be in the Sakurasou sub forum though.
Aug 24, 2014 8:20 AM

Jun 2013
Series specific threads shoud be started in series section not here.

On the topoc after seeing how goes on in LN i am happy that it ended there they did an amazing job adapting in to anime and catching the best parts of it the LN isnt that great.
SymqnAug 24, 2014 8:24 AM
Aug 24, 2014 8:21 AM

Aug 2014
Sumimasen!

I am new here :)
Aug 24, 2014 8:29 AM

Dec 2012
I think Sorata is going to be the drunk abusive type... The first half of the show was okay but the second half fell really flat. And they were trying way too hard to make you cry in the end, it didn't really feel natural at all
Aug 24, 2014 8:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I only wish they wouldn't have tried to force a love triangle by including Nanami on the corner because that did nothing but create cringeworthy and needless drama that was never gonna affect the eventual outcome of the story anyway
Aug 24, 2014 8:37 AM

Dec 2012
HaXXspetten said:
I only wish they wouldn't have tried to force a love triangle by including Nanami on the corner because that did nothing but create cringeworthy and needless drama that was never gonna affect the eventual outcome of the story anyway
I would hardly even call it a love triangle because it was so one sided..
Aug 24, 2014 8:38 AM

Jul 2014
It was the best SoL anime
Aug 24, 2014 8:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Objurgo said:
HaXXspetten said:
ya fair enough

point being that if they completely cut off everything related to Nanami being in love with Sorata and just kept her as the childhood friend and nothing more, then the entire series as a whole would have been so much better
Aug 24, 2014 8:50 AM

Mar 2013
toradora with good girls
Full time redditor and fedora owner, gg
Aug 24, 2014 8:51 AM

Dec 2012
HaXXspetten said:
Objurgo said:
ya fair enough

point being that if they completely cut off everything related to Nanami being in love with Sorata and just kept her as the childhood friend and nothing more, then the entire series as a whole would have been so much better
I agree, I haven't watched the show since it finished airing but I remember there just being a number of things I didn't like about it,like Nanami just being an irritating character, or the glasses dude just being a douche. I guess I was expecting something a little more after recently watching Toradora
Aug 24, 2014 8:51 AM

Feb 2010
How did you manage? I had to drop it, I think when the imouto was introduced.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 24, 2014 9:03 AM

Dec 2012
It was awful, mainly because of the second half. So much wrong there.

And the protagonist was an annoying obnoxious little shit.
tsudecimoAug 24, 2014 9:07 AM
Aug 24, 2014 9:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
ehh? the imouto was like there for two half episodes the entire anime and did nothing, why would she of all things be the reason you'd drop it? :3
Aug 24, 2014 9:08 AM

Dec 2012
Because imoutos are the cancer of anime.
Aug 24, 2014 9:13 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
tsudecimo said:
you mean the boners of anime
Aug 24, 2014 9:16 AM

Feb 2010
HaXXspetten said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
ehh? the imouto was like there for two half episodes the entire anime and did nothing, why would she of all things be the reason you'd drop it? :3

her appearance tipped the scale to the side of my disliking more cast members than I liked, and I could hardly finish the episode she first appeared in because she was so ultra annoying/pandering. Plus at the time I had no way of knowing that she'd disappear again, for all I Knew she was the next introduction of a new cast member. And how she was handled/portrayed in general showed me the kind of stuff this show is likely to focus on, plus me disliking half the cast before that already made me never regret the drop even after I heard that the imouto quickly disappears again.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 24, 2014 9:17 AM

Dec 2012
HaXXspetten said:
tsudecimo said:

You would say that, lolicon pedo-kun
Aug 24, 2014 9:19 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
tsudecimo said:
HaXXspetten said:

You would say that, lolicon pedo-kun
E-Even if you praise me like that I'm not gonna warm up to you or anything, hmph! >///<
Aug 24, 2014 11:43 AM

Sep 2013
I think It was great

even better than Toradora
Shirobako is AOTY 2015. Deal with it.
Aug 24, 2014 11:48 AM

Sep 2011
Riptos said:
Tried to be Toradora but failed in my opinion.

I failed to see how it tried to be Toradora, but okay.

Back on topic, I thought the ending was actually pretty good, especially
Aug 24, 2014 12:53 PM

Jul 2014
The only romcom that was ever actually hilarious at times.
Oct 22, 2014 8:19 AM

Dec 2012
Bad. I don't know how people even liked this.

MC was extremely annoying, none of his forced tsukkomi shouting was funny or even original.

Ecchi was out of place and stupid, the other characters had terrible development but at least they had some, unlike the main heroine who was simply put on the sidelines while the show tried to give every other member of sakurasou some 'touching' story.

Could've been great, it wasn't.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Oct 22, 2014 9:08 AM

Dec 2012
Red_Tuesday said:
The only romcom that was ever actually hilarious at times.

Nodame Cantabile? Toradora? Gekkan Shoujo? Kami Nomi? Lovely Complex? School Rumble? Devil is a part timer? Chuu2? etc
Oct 23, 2014 7:43 AM
Sep 2014
Shiina (Mashiro) is my favourite charracter :DD last ep

SPOILER

was so great with mashiro and sorata :D
Nov 1, 2014 11:30 PM

Nov 2012
It was OK. For some reason the first episodes didn't grab my interest enough and I didn't really get into the show much until later. Even now I don't feel too attached to it.

I also rooted for Aoyama x Kanda the whole time, even though I knew it wouldn't happen in the back of my head - and it didn't :( Shiina is definitely a good character, but I liked Aoyama more, yet she always seems to fail.

Misaki was annoying at times when she was TOO cheerful, which I feel is a generic character type. I did like her speech although it was a tad too dragged out.

The ending was also meh, there wasn't really a climax (the school decided against tearing down the Sakurasou just because the students threw sakura in the air?) and I felt like ep. 23 would be a better place to cut it off.
Apr 13, 2015 5:35 PM

Apr 2011
Loopyfish said:
It was a great anime, with a good but not great ending.
What's everyone elses thoughts on it? I am currently going through post completion syndrome XD
This is exactly how i feel about the series too
Apr 14, 2015 3:34 PM

Mar 2010
vvvortic said:
toradora with good girls

This.
May 20, 2015 10:32 PM

Aug 2014
If someone was on a podium and started talking about their apartment building, I would start booing, not clapping or cheering.
May 28, 2015 9:31 AM

Feb 2012
vvvortic said:
toradora with good girls

Nanami was the biggest reason I kept on watching.
"You know what they say about he who hesitates in war? He who hesitates is lost."
Jun 18, 2015 4:02 PM

May 2012
The first half of the season was fun to watch but the other half was just too painful, I wanted to drop it.
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Aug 18, 2015 12:58 PM

Jun 2013
Just finished the series and deliberately spoilered myself the ending of the LN soon after, so I can't resist the urge to write a few words about things which bother me a lot.

Due to being the nature of the show itself and the main point of many discussions I won't mention "talent" aspect and how it was conveyed, nor try to evaluate its contribution to the story. Let's focus on Sorata instead.

Who is this guy? He is the one struggling through a mess of self-expectations, uncertainties and desires, trying to catch up with other residents of the dorm. That's all to be said. At this point it's hard to say he is a bad person. Following your dreams is, of course, one hell of a path, but isn't it the genuine one? Nothing's wrong here.

In my opinion, problem comes with Sorata's unrelenting desire to compare himself with others. From time to time he even mentions his outstanding friends one by one only to put huge emphasis on their qualities being equal to those of geniuses. Hence, there are somewhat low self-esteem, jealousy, hate and all these prerequisites for the inferiority complex, which obviously plays a huge role in his character development.

Yeah-yeah, development. Personally, I don't mind him going in circles for some time. Nevertheless, inferiority complex is not an easy thing to get rid off. What I really don't like and mostly worry about are the consequences of such internal strife, considering Sorata's lack of a greatly needed ability to control his emotions and actions. It's easy to compare him with Nanami in that sense - that's one of her strongest traits after all, putting aside the danger when suppressing your feelings for so long. In other aspects Sorata is different. Don't get me wrong, both are trying hard to achieve their goals. It's beyond doubt. What I'm talking about is the way of handling stress and consecutive disappointments.

Sorata's behavior pattern resembles that of a match. After being true to himself for a short period of time he flares, blaming circumstances and even people, who treasures the most, for his failure. Thereafter, he immerses himself in depression filled with nothing but frustration and self-loathing, coming from the understanding and disapproving of his own recent actions. Despite all the suffering he brought to others and endured himself, life falls back into place right after that.

Nanami is more of a balloon type. A balloon being inflated with doubts, fears and regrets until the pressure becomes unbearable even for such strong-willed personality as hers. After that it just deflates, bringing only compassion towards admirably desperate girl, thus being indeed far more harmless to those around her.

Though not the most important point of this comparison, but also a crucial one, is the fact of Nanami and Sorata facing practically one and the same bunch of problems. The differences are revealed through their reactions to the dismal outcome and the means of struggling against the reality. This is where I suddenly came to the realization of my inability to tolerate Sorata’s actions.

From the very beginning of the series I have been trying to justify his behavior. Given the above, it’s not that impossible – just consider him being in possession of more or less “realistic” personality and the problem solves itself. However, closer to the middle of the storyline I started to feel more and more ambiguous due to the growing impression of Sorata being harsh and aggressive person in general. His way of behaving, which at first I perceived only as humorous with all that screaming and grimacing, started to become apparent outside “just for fun” situations.

I guess I like Mashiro to the extent where I desperately try to pretend that I know nothing about the ways her character type functions. We all understand that perfectly: entirely defenseless, infinitely clumsy, unbearably cute and absolutely lacking in comprehension of things, which form the definition of life routine for the most part of the humanity. Needless to say, it’s an obvious trap we unconditionally fall for. However, let’s not overthink things and observe her personality downright as it is presented within the story.

And here comes my impression on Sorata during the second half of the series. Apparently, he reveals himself as a short-tempered, abusive and touchy not only upon subjects related to his own problems, but also upon everyday matters. I was frantically trying to convince myself to the contrary, to find any justification of his actions, but after the very first scene of Mashiro’s unsuccessful attempt to make up by presenting a Baumkuchen I admitted my defeat. It was such simple yet so meaningful action, filled with subtle emotions and astonishingly innocent, kind and pure intension to make things right – definitely not the one you can withstand, let alone to trample on. Moreover, Sorata’s ignorance to this warmth doesn’t even waver with each Mashiro’s attempt to settle things, what is, to tell the truth, clearly incomprehensible for me.

To my unpleasant surprise, since then I noticed one little change that followed me till the end of the series – I kept mentally begging Sorata practically every time I saw him talking to Mashiro: “Please, don't get mad. Please, don't. Don't! Please…”, which may sound funny, but, in fact, there is no way to define my attitude to Sorata’s behavior any better. Sad to say, since the moment described above, Sorata never regained my trust. Each of his attempts to bring Mashiro back was indeed impressive to some extent, but also gave a rather disturbing vibe of insincerity and hypocrisy, hopefully being my own delusions brought by disapproving of his earlier deeds.

You know, I clearly wanted Mashiro & Sorata ending, but its effect was greatly spoiled. Don’t know who to blame anymore…

How can such indifference bordering on a cruelty be tolerated?
How is it possible to hurt someone so innocent, being it Asperger/Savant syndrome or not, because of your own self-contradictions?
To hurt someone, who even can’t understand your actions, let alone motives, but still deeply cares for you, trying to solve problems in her own, a bit childish way.
Is it right to bring Mashiro back every time only to start this madness anew? Why even burden others with your twisted character?

A little comment on the LN ending:

Although I’m satisfied with the ending, the aftertaste is too bitter to consider it being "Good".
Hopelessly craved for more kind and tender feelings throughout the entire series. =C
AnuminasAug 18, 2015 1:32 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2012

246 by Kristhian1_ »»
May 1, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Best Girl

Shizuna - Mar 23, 2022

29 by Mochi_i »»
Mar 31, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 25, 2013

639 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 25, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2013

227 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 24, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2012

319 by Fadhil01dx »»
Feb 24, 4:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.