Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 21, 2014 11:31 PM

Apr 2013
I'm well-aware that there is a similar thread going around, but that talks about competitive gaming. This talks about gaming in other genres, including social. I'll explain it as you read on, but just in case you wanted to see the other thread:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1130413&show=0

Right. Onto the topic in-question.

So, serious gaming. Actually, to me it's more like taking a game so seriously that when things don't go your way it turns you into a complete dickhead. Well, it probably doesn't go down like that, but that's exactly how I view it as.

I play video games often just to ease up or pass time, but after playing for a while you meet the occasional "2LEGIT2QUIT" player that blows you away on every single level. If I were to log into a shooter game right now, I can expect to find some asshole raging on the other side of the mic and harassing....well....everyone. Of course, if you somehow beat them out they're just "2LEGIT2QUIT" so they call hacks and rage a little more and that's why volume control was invented.

If I log into a social game, I'll find someone LIVING in the game. Usually social games come with a payment method for in-world currency, so eventually you stumble across the one guy or group of people that ball so hard in the social game that they pretty much neglect the fact that they have an RL too, which means if you were to tell them to "get a life" then they would probably brag about how they made it in the game and you didn't which is also why volume control was invented (if you don't believe me, look up Billionaire Motors on Facebook and start browsing through the profiles).

So, my question is, why the hell? I can explain the social game. There's usually some kind of situation that stops them from pursuing RL as hard as they pursue in-game satisfaction. But in terms of serious gaming in general, what would that situation be?
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Aug 21, 2014 11:43 PM

Apr 2013
PerfectScore said:
If you're a competitive person in general, then you take everything more seriously. Nobody likes to lose, but some people really don't like to lose.

I think that answers my question. At least it explains why I get stacked against the occasional teabagging dipshit.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Aug 21, 2014 11:44 PM

Jul 2014
Of course, if you somehow beat them out they're just "2LEGIT2QUIT" so they call hacks and rage a little more and that's why volume control was invented.

Nobody likes to lose, but some people really don't like to lose.

The only thing that human beings hate more than losing is admitting they lost.

Or getting stabbed, or something.
Aug 21, 2014 11:45 PM
Jul 2014
Being rejected in real life for their imperfection so they retreat behind a screen in order to be noticed? They may also think that better at games = superior than others.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 21, 2014 11:47 PM

Dec 2008
Because people don't like to lose but those people don't understand that flaming at your team only brings the morale down, not up. But I must say I would rather have a good player in my team that's a dickhead than someone who's nice but bad. You can just mute them. No need to get mad about them.
Aug 21, 2014 11:48 PM

Jul 2014
If someone takes entertainment seriously, then they don't know what entertainment is.
Aug 22, 2014 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not great at a single game, but I'm good at most all I play. I'm just saying like, I'm pretty serious about gaming. Not in the way you've described, but regardless...

I think, for me, I like playing a game to forget my own shortcomings. I like being able to contribute to a team, or help someone beat a tough mission. I like being reliable, and strong, since the real me can be fragile.

People telling me to "get a life" doesn't really hurt me, but maybe someone more troubled than me would take it seriously enough to rely on the game ENTIRELY, so they can feel good at something.

I guess the difference between me and them is that I need a break from life, while maybe they've given up on theirs.
Aug 22, 2014 2:09 AM

Feb 2014
I am a competitive gamer but I mostly do speed run races and competitive pokemon battling but I can completely agree with you, I don't mind losing but some people take it too far, i mean this one kid sent a swat team to this other kids house just for beating him at COD, it's ridiculous and stupid how far people take this stuff. This should be relevant as well

Aug 22, 2014 6:38 AM

Jul 2014
I'm very competitive when I'm playing online games, but I never rage when I lose unless the opponent actually cheated...
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Aug 22, 2014 6:40 AM
Jun 2014
People play to win. It's like playing chess. I want to say it's like sports but there is nothing physical about gaming.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Aug 22, 2014 6:41 AM

Jul 2014
LashLethal said:
People play to win. It's like playing chess. I want to say it's like sports but there is nothing physical about gaming.
There is, it's very tiring to play at more than 500 apm. I've heard that Armada got about 950 apm while doing n-airs with peach in ssbm.
Wecc said:
Aug 22, 2014 6:42 AM

Jul 2012
I play games for fun, I do see those people that are leaders of clans and have probably spent a lot of there parents money on the game and waste 1/2 the day on it, it's sad to think that the game might go offline someday.
Aug 22, 2014 6:45 AM

Jul 2014
Coolspot said:
I play games for fun, I do see those people that are leaders of clans and have probably spent a lot of there parents money on the game and waste 1/2 the day on it, it's sad to think that the game might go offline someday.
I'm a clan leader in AoE 3, I spent about 120 dollars to get several copies of the game to make more accounts. I'm 25 years old, so of course I used my own money. If you're going to generalize at least be accurate.
Wecc said:
Aug 22, 2014 6:49 AM

Nov 2012
Well the OP kind of describes me, minus the raging. I used to rage if I got beat by some lucky noob, but it only made me play worse so I stopped.
Aug 22, 2014 7:23 AM

Aug 2012
i didn't read your original post, but getting paid to play games sounds great to me

e.g. like them youtubers, they earn big money
Aug 22, 2014 7:28 AM
Jul 2014
Afshar said:
i didn't read your original post, but getting paid to play games sounds great to me

Lol
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 22, 2014 7:30 AM

Jun 2008
Basically they used to play the game and have gotten so good at it, and that beating others is a legitimate source of satisfaction, even if they will occasionally rage about it.

Think of people who have little RL accomplishments but find themselves constantly winning in a game. Winning is very, very gratifying for some people, especially competitive people. And because they don't get their pleasure from RL accomplishments, they seek it elsewhere, in this case, a game. And games like Starcraft is even recognized as a serious competitive game when you think about all the tournaments and the prize money involved. So that only fuels more to their ego.

Still though I'd say it's still the majority of gamers that are casual. Or else the industry wouldn't try so hard to advertise to casual gamers.
Aug 22, 2014 7:39 AM

Jul 2014
Tachii said:
Basically they used to play the game and have gotten so good at it, and that beating others is a legitimate source of satisfaction, even if they will occasionally rage about it.

Think of people who have little RL accomplishments but find themselves constantly winning in a game. Winning is very, very gratifying for some people, especially competitive people. And because they don't get their pleasure from RL accomplishments, they seek it elsewhere, in this case, a game. And games like Starcraft is even recognized as a serious competitive game when you think about all the tournaments and the prize money involved. So that only fuels more to their ego.
There's no correlation between no RL accomplishments and self-satisfaction from accomplishing things in a game. I have a lot of accomplishments irl and a lot of accomplishments ingame and I still get more self-satisfaction from the games.
Wecc said:
Aug 22, 2014 7:42 AM
Jul 2014
I'm a filthy videogame casual, so I play whatever game when I feel like it. The most competitive I've gotten was on Pokemon Showdown, making teams and trying to ladder.
That said, gaming is serious for those who take pride in their achievements (in the game), to keep some sort of ranking or improve it. For some people, it's the only source of achievements they'll ever get, as they've spent days in their basement/house, grinding shit up and mastering the game.
Why serious gaming? Because it can be a competition, and people wanna compete.
Aug 22, 2014 9:33 AM

Jun 2008
Rothion said:
Tachii said:

There's no correlation between no RL accomplishments and self-satisfaction from accomplishing things in a game. I have a lot of accomplishments irl and a lot of accomplishments ingame and I still get more self-satisfaction from the games.
Eh, a personal anecdote doesn't counter what I said, lol. Though I'm curious on what you mean you've "a lot of accomplishments irl". Because I can't say for myself I've accomplished much since I don't compete at all IRL.

Oh, and nor did I say it's only people who have little RL accomplishments would they find satisfaction in gaming either. Meh. But are they more likely to be more satisfied? I'd say so.
TachiiAug 22, 2014 9:36 AM
Aug 22, 2014 9:35 AM

Nov 2008
Social gaming blows for the most part and I don't like putting cash into a money pit, that's why Kancolle does so well, you don't have to contribute to a money pit to enjoy the game.

Aug 22, 2014 9:48 AM

Jul 2014
Tachii said:
Rothion said:
Eh, a personal anecdote doesn't counter what I said, lol. Though I'm curious on what you mean you've "a lot of accomplishments irl". Because I can't say for myself I've accomplished much since I don't compete at all IRL.

Oh, and nor did I say it's only people who have little RL accomplishments would they find satisfaction in gaming either. Meh. But are they more likely to be more satisfied? I'd say so.
It proves that it's an inaccurate generalization though. By irl accomplishments I mean getting a good job, becoming a millionaire etc etc.
Wecc said:
Aug 22, 2014 10:08 AM

Aug 2014
I actually play some games on gamebattles...Like the last of us, me and a couple of friends were pretty good...even beating the best doubles team in the world. It was fun but I did rage if we lost because I took it quite seriously.
Aug 22, 2014 10:17 AM

Jun 2008
Rothion said:
Tachii said:

It proves that it's an inaccurate generalization though. By irl accomplishments I mean getting a good job, becoming a millionaire etc etc.
lolwut you have a good job and is becoming a millionaire? :|
Aug 22, 2014 11:21 AM

Jul 2014
Tachii said:
Rothion said:
lolwut you have a good job and is becoming a millionaire? :|
Had a good job, I quit it and I already am a millionaire.
Wecc said:

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 4 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
23 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

67 by Rhaelynne »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

28 by tsukareru »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

33 by elgatosaika »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.