Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 14, 2014 10:27 PM

Feb 2014
millie10468 said:
Zapredon said:

How weak are those Chinese villains? Can give example with minimum spoiler?

One of my concern is that the author has issues(or racist) with Chinese people and therefore,he make them weak and pathetic and as a result,it's going to make the show boring due to having weak villain.

Well, I do personally think he has a bias against China and the Soviet Union but in my opinion, it's comparable to how some Americans felt about Russia back when almost all movie villains were Russian and how there's been an increase in Chinese villains currently. It's definitely not something I'd use as evidence of racisim though.

As for the Chinese villains

In other words, they are fodders and doesn't have sense of unity.
What else can be worse than that kind of pathetic antagonist?
Aug 14, 2014 10:30 PM

Oct 2013
Flashoftheback said:
millie10468 said:

Well, I do personally think he has a bias against China and the Soviet Union but in my opinion, it's comparable to how some Americans felt about Russia back when almost all movie villains were Russian and how there's been an increase in Chinese villains currently. It's definitely not something I'd use as evidence of racisim though.

As for the Chinese villains

In other words, they are fodders and doesn't have sense of unity.
What else can be worse than that kind of pathetic antagonist?

The further you go, the more you realize that they aren't even the real antagonists, that's what I'm trying to say.
Aug 15, 2014 2:03 AM

May 2013
millie10468 said:
The further you go, the more you realize that they aren't even the real antagonists, that's what I'm trying to say.

Yeah, why should such pathetic cannon fodder be recognised as true antagonists? They are way too weak. And they are not evil, but just retarded.
The point is that Satou portrayed Japan as Übermensch and other countries (especially China/GAA) as helpless and pathetic.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Aug 15, 2014 9:36 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:

Yeah, why should such pathetic cannon fodder be recognised as true antagonists? They are way too weak. And they are not evil, but just retarded.
The point is that Satou portrayed Japan as Übermensch and other countries (especially China/GAA) as helpless and pathetic.

The country that annexed half of Asia in the story is weak and pathetic,ok.
Aug 15, 2014 9:54 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:
jakkubus said:

The country that annexed half of Asia in the story is weak and pathetic,ok.

And was curbstomped by tiny Japan twice...
Aug 15, 2014 10:09 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:

Because the author is Japanese and has common sense to not destroy the country of his MC's?I don't think that the chinese are offended and,ironically the series is a bit popular in China too.Your post again are turning to trolling dude :)
Aug 15, 2014 10:16 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:
jakkubus said:

Because the author is Japanese and has common sense to not destroy the country of his MC's?I don't think that the chinese are offended and,ironically the series is a bit popular in China too.Your post again are turning to trolling dude :)

You missed the point again. In Mahouka not only China/GAA is retarded and pathetic, but whole world outside the Japan.
Aug 15, 2014 10:22 AM

May 2014
[quote=jakkubus]
darkreaperix said:

You missed the point again. In Mahouka not only China/GAA is retarded and pathetic, but whole world outside the Japan.

How do you know when you admitted to not actually reading all the novels,I believe just scanned tru some volumes?From hate blogs? :heh
Aug 15, 2014 10:40 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:
How do you know when you admitted to not actually reading all the novels,I believe just scanned tru some volumes?From hate blogs? :heh

Didn't Lina lose to Tatsuya due to her inexperience? She went through USNA military training and it turned out to be insufficient, when she owe her magic power to her Japanese genes. So everything good in her was Japanese.
Aug 15, 2014 10:52 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:

Didn't Lina lose to Tatsuya due to her inexperience? She went through USNA military training and it turned out to be insufficient, when she owe her magic power to her Japanese genes. So everything good in her was Japanese.

Because Lina doesn't have that much real live battle experience since no other country wants to f*c# with USNA with their 3 SC magicians and Stars.

[spoiler]
And her other mission aside from the Parasites elimination was recruit Tatsuya or force him to defect to the USNA or if all efforts fail assassinate him.She wasn't out their just to kill him,which was a mistake as she became close to the siblings and kinda hesitated.But when he she was ready regrowth and his reflexes was the one that saved him because he couldn't decomp HMB.Tatsuya didn't kill her because it might become another shift in balance of power if the USNA lose an SC magician and he felt a kind of kinship (not exact words in the LN though) because both of them was on the same page,teens that was forged to become the ultimate human weapons.

Other thing author could have gave Mio the nuclear SC magic or any magic not the weak ass tidal wave SC magic that is basically useless in land or air battles.Japan has one of the weakest apostle in my opinion (as we only know 3,if I remember correctly apostles and their SC magics)
Aug 15, 2014 7:51 PM
Oct 2012
jakkubus said:

Because Japanese shows aimed at Japanese teenagers SHOULD have American heroes I guess....
Aug 15, 2014 8:20 PM

Aug 2008
darkreaperix said:
jakkubus said:

Would be interesting to see how people from China react to Yokohama arc. Too bad,I can't read Chinese. Is the novel popular in China?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 15, 2014 8:50 PM
Jul 2011
To think that no one mentions the country that is most angry with this series.
It really is not an issue of weak characters and strong characters.
To them, the problem is history falsification with fiction.
Aug 15, 2014 10:36 PM
Jan 2010

Do you even Zankyou no Terror, Coppelion or even Puella Magi Madoka Magica?
Hell, even Hollywood likes to destroy NYC once in a while.
Aug 16, 2014 8:32 AM

May 2014
Orix said:

Do you even Zankyou no Terror, Coppelion or even Puella Magi Madoka Magica?
Hell, even Hollywood likes to destroy NYC once in a while.

Only Madoka in your list :)

I think the debate was why Japan curbstomped the GAA,and that was my reply.Madoka really wasn't fighting another country.
Aug 16, 2014 11:25 AM

May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
jakkubus said:

Because Japanese shows aimed at Japanese teenagers SHOULD have American heroes I guess....

Um, what are you reffering to? I was pointing examples of Japanese superiority over the rest of world in Mahouka.
Aug 16, 2014 11:32 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:

Um, what are you reffering to? I was pointing examples of Japanese superiority over the rest of world in Mahouka.

Uhm,you have been saying that for a while,but without properly reading the novels,I don't know where you are getting such ideas.In the LN's it's a given fact the USNA is way above in magic tech and power than other countries including Japan,their military is no. 1 in the world (they have 3 of the apostles and we don't know yet if they have hidden SC magicians too),add the elite Stars,Stars that gave Godsuya trouble :)
Aug 16, 2014 11:42 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:
jakkubus said:

Uhm,you have been saying that for a while,but without properly reading the novels,I don't know where you are getting such ideas.In the LN's it's a given fact the USNA is way above in magic tech and power than other countries including Japan,their military is no. 1 in the world (they have 3 of the apostles and we don't know yet if they have hidden SC magicians too),add the elite Stars,Stars that gave Godsuya trouble :)

And said elite Star, that gave Tatsuya trouble is half-Japanese...
Aug 16, 2014 11:43 AM

May 2014
jakkubus said:
[

Nope she's the commander of said elite but the grunts gave him a hard time :)
Aug 17, 2014 11:33 AM
Oct 2012
jakkubus said:

So? Would it not make sense to send the person most familiar with Japanese to Japan? Particularly since the task was to try to recruit a Japanese teenager?

As for Japanese "superiority", all this show has done is substitute magic for technology, let me ask and answer honestly, which country today is best known for hacking other countries to steal their technology?

That is ALL this scenario is, the writer has replaced IT with PSI-T.
Aug 17, 2014 12:02 PM

May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
So? Would it not make sense to send the person most familiar with Japanese to Japan? Particularly since the task was to try to recruit a Japanese teenager?

You are completely missing the point.

As for Japanese "superiority", all this show has done is substitute magic for technology, let me ask and answer honestly, which country today is best known for hacking other countries to steal their technology?

That is ALL this scenario is, the writer has replaced IT with PSI-T.

But, you know, technology is not dependent on genes.
jakkubusAug 17, 2014 12:28 PM
Aug 17, 2014 9:14 PM

Aug 2008
Which country today are most likely to go war and cause WW3? I said it's China and Japan but according to Mahouka universe,it's China and Russia( But the again,Russia-Ukraine and Israel-Palestine are pretty much already at war). Korea is non existence in this show at all. China,Russia and Korea,the three countries that have island dispute with Japan seems be portrayed negatively by the author with China and Russia causing WW3 while Korea is gone from the map. This can not be coincidence.The nationalism by the author is way too much obvious here.

Conflict in middle east cause WW3 make more sense to me. Beside,I feel Russia-China relationship today is good that it's unlikely for them to go to war. Didn't these two countries work together on the Syria case? Or maybe an alliance between China,Russia and Korea going war against Japan and USA alliance and cause WW3 will make more sense and better setting.
ZapredonAug 17, 2014 10:01 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 18, 2014 7:41 AM
Oct 2012
[quote=jakkubus]You are completely missing the point.[quote]

No, I get the point, just disagree with your assessment.

jakkubus said:
But, you know, technology is not dependent on genes.

In this world they aren't "dependent" either, complete newbies can rise up with new magic. What does seem to be true is that certain sequences (i.e. spells) are kept in certain families (which is a very old Japanese thing to do) and the reason these spells work for them is something genetic (though not entirely).

Lina is powerful because her grandfather was one of Japan's most powerful magicians (he was the younger, stronger brother of the black eyed patriarch). So it isn't surprising that she is correspondingly powerful. It has far less to do with being Japanese rather than being related to 1 particular Japanese.

If anything this shows that Magic isn't nationalistic, since Lina is 3/4s non-Japanese, if it was all about genetics shouldn't she be correspondingly weaker?

And in that she needs to infiltrate a Japanese school, sending someone with some Japanese connection makes perfect sense.

As for the geopolitical situation, Korea has been absorbed by China, that is why there is no mention of them. The author goes out of his way not to say "Chinese" or "Korean", but East Asian (and geographical, not a racial category). Since in this world there is both a general cooling, it makes sense that both Russia and China would have to be moving south.

The Neo Soviets in addition to trying to take Sado, has also retaken the Ukraine (how is that for a prediction), and China has pretty much retaken all the land that China has claimed was its own (Taiwan, Korea, Northern Vietnam, Laos and Burma).

It was a short line, but when the writer talked about the first invasion of Tsushima where 70% of the civilians died, he didn't go on about how horrible the Koreans were, he actually said "they had their reasons too, it was that type of world"

Because of an environmental world and post peak oil, this world is a zero sum game. The events should be viewed against this backdrop. What would Russia and China do if large parts of their territories were turning much colder and resources were becoming scarce? Particularly in a world where one or two powerful magicians can change the fortunes of a nation?

This is the reason why Tatsuya wants to build his magical power resource, to break that cycle.

Takuan_SohoAug 18, 2014 8:08 AM
Aug 18, 2014 8:32 AM

Aug 2008
Takuan_Soho said:

As for the geopolitical situation, Korea has been absorbed by China, that is why there is no mention of them.

Well,that's the problem. Korea gone from this world. Why make Korea disappear from this world? Probably because he hate Korea too.

The author goes out of his way not to say "Chinese" or "Korean", but East Asian (and geographical, not a racial category). Since in this world there is both a general cooling, it makes sense that both Russia and China would have to be moving south.

But why make cooling as reason that trigger WW3? There's no major cooling in our real world.

Here is what you said before.
let me ask and answer honestly, which country today is best known for hacking other countries to steal their technology?

It seems to me you want to talk from today modern realism point of view.

Let me ask and answer honestly,which countries today is likely to start WW3?For me,it's China and Japan. The whole thing about cooling and people from northern China escape to Russia is just to create a WW3 scenario to have China going war with Russia. It doesn't matter whether it's cooling or whatever it is,it obvious the author try to make Russia and China the villains that cause WW3.

The Neo Soviets in addition to trying to take Sado, has also retaken the Ukraine (how is that for a prediction), and China has pretty much retaken all the land that China has claimed was its own (Taiwan, Korea, Northern Vietnam, Laos and Burma).

Are you talking about today's China? I don't remember China claiming Korea,Northern Vietnam,Lao and Burma. Did the author create lie to demonize China?

Because of an environmental world and post peak oil, this world is a zero sum game. The events should be viewed against this backdrop. What would Russia and China do if large parts of their territories were turning much colder and resources were becoming scarce? Particularly in a world where one or two powerful magicians can change the fortunes of a nation?

Does Russia and China only have these problems? If yes why just China and Russia? Another excuse by the author to make China and Russia the villains that cause WW3 while Japan that has island dispute with China,Russia and Korea is totally innocent and their geopolitic is totally unaffected?

Think from author point of view. Don't give me reason why such scenario happen.I'm not interested in it. Think on why the author chooses this kind of scenario for his settings. Why he make Korea gone,why he make China and Russia going to war and cause WW3. Why is it coincidentally,all these 3 countries(China,Russia,Korea) have territorial dispute with modern Japan.

Nationalism is way too obvious here.

ZapredonAug 18, 2014 8:43 AM

Aug 18, 2014 11:49 AM
Oct 2012
Zapredon said:
Well,that's the problem. Korea gone from this world. Why make Korea disappear from this world? Probably because he hate Korea too.

So in other words if he had left them in that would be a sign of nationalism, if he took them out that is also a sign of nationalism.

No the answer is much easier: merging all of East Asian into one country makes no single country the enemy.

Zapredon said:
But why make cooling as reason that trigger WW3? There's no major cooling in our real world.

Yes, there is no major cooling in our world, so draw the obvious conclusion: THIS IS FICTION.

Zapredon said:
It seems to me you want to talk from today modern realism point of view.

No, I am just saying that his use of magic is pretty analogous to the spread of IT, not that it is the spread of IT.

Let me ask and answer honestly,which countries today is likely to start WW3?For me,it's China and Japan.

No, it is still China and Russia, followed by Pakistan and then India and then the US. Japan, without nuclear weapons, is in no position to START a war. This doesn't mean that they may not be on the receiving end of the start, but defending by no means is the same as starting. Right now Russia in the Ukraine and China's maritime grab are the two events most likely to start a WWIII, but another Pakistani/Indian war, particularly if it is a proxy for a Russian/Chinese conflict (China is backing Pakistan, Russia India) can't be ruled out.

While I put US as fifth, they are the joker in global politics. There is no individual reason for them to start WWIII (territory or resource grabbing), they could start the dominoes falling.

Zapredon said:
Are you talking about today's China? I don't remember China claiming Korea,Northern Vietnam,Lao and Burma. Did the author create lie to demonize China?

Lie? Not really, more history. What the author did was to refashion the Mongol Yuan Empire (which did control those territories). This is in keeping with his desire to NOT make this about China. It also allows him to use the Mongol invasions of Japan as analogy. So there is no china, no mongol, no korean, no nationalities, the "enemy" is just a geographical region of East Asia.

The writer does use history as an inspiration for things though, one might have not noticed, but the anti magical movement in the USNA is based in "Boston", this was an allusion to the Salem Witch Craft Trials.

Does Russia and China only have these problems?

Nope, applied to the whole world. It is why the EU split in half, North America merged, Brazil took over most of South America and there is an Indo/Iranian alliance. The only reason the focus is on East Asia is because, well, Japan is in East Asia, so its not as is South America or the EU would go after them.

I guess you haven't noticed but he doesn't go out of his way to praise Japan that much, their government is weak and divided, the clans are insular in thinking, more concerned with their own arguments. His Japanese characters are no smarter than the foreigners, in some ways they are even dumber (outside of course Tatsuya and Fujibayashi) in many ways.

That said, I will agree that he isn't a very mature writer, his character and their motivations are pretty weak, and their geopolitical understandings are a bit lame, but that applies equally across all nationalities. Perhaps people are taking this a little too personally, so they only notice when THEIR nationality is portrayed simplistically, but it has been pretty much across the board.

But as for "nationalism", there really isn't that much outside of his MC is Japanese.

Mod Edit: Removed insults.
VudisAug 19, 2014 10:16 AM
Aug 18, 2014 12:11 PM

Aug 2014
Okay come on people what did you expect? A Japanese writer writing a story that takes place in Japan about a Japanese character (or characters). What? You thought he wouldn't cater to Japan and not lean favorably towards it in his writing. And what? you thought that there wouldn't be any bias, favoritism and pandering? Get real!!! Not to mention a majority of his readers and buyers are... you guessed it JAPANESE!!!!!!

GrimlokkAug 19, 2014 4:55 PM
Aug 18, 2014 2:59 PM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
snip.

All I have to say it that, having you put in words the exact things most LN readers (myself included) want to say regarding this issue is frankly a godsend. i wouldn't know how to phrase them in the exact way and coming from you, they have more of an impact. Of course, people who think otherwise are going to keep thinking what they think whether or not explanations are given so while I feel extremely grateful that you're one of the people trying to iron out misunderstandings, I wonder how much difference it's going to make.

But do keep writing :) I think I've told you before (not in this post though). I love the way you write, and it's not just because you see something to like about Mahouka when lots of people don't. You come off as objective so I tend to believe whatever you write, whether it's criticism or praise. Keep up the good work :)
Aug 18, 2014 8:02 PM

Aug 2008
Takuan_Soho said:

So in other words if he had left them in that would be a sign of nationalism, if he took them out that is also a sign of nationalism.

I didn't said if he had left them is a sign of nationalism.

Yes, there is no major cooling in our world, so draw the obvious conclusion: THIS IS FICTION.

Funny because last time I heard people justify China being the enemy because that just how it works because in today REAL LIFE,Japan and China are enemy. Talk about bias double standard.

No, it is still China and Russia, followed by Pakistan and then India and then the US. Japan, without nuclear weapons, is in no position to START a war. This doesn't mean that they may not be on the receiving end of the start, but defending by no means is the same as starting. Right now Russia in the Ukraine and China's maritime grab are the two events most likely to start a WWIII, but another Pakistani/Indian war, particularly if it is a proxy for a Russian/Chinese conflict (China is backing Pakistan, Russia India) can't be ruled out.

While I put US as fifth, they are the joker in global politics. There is no individual reason for them to start WWIII (territory or resource grabbing), they could start the dominoes falling.

No,it's not between China and Russia. China and Russia relationship is good so it's unlikely for them to go WW3 regardless having nuclear or not(and you don't need nuclear to have WW3.WW2 alredy prove that). And do keep in mind I'm not asking whether China or Russia will got to war with other countries that cause WW3. I am asking whether China going war with Russia sound realistic or not. China going war with SEA or China going war with Japan also sound more realistic than China going war with Russia.Even USA going war with the North Korea(another nuclear power country) is more realistic. Instead,the author make the countries today that has territorial dispute with Japan goes against each other. Like I said,it can not be coincidence. If you said China going war with Russia can not be ruled out,then China going war with Japan(doesn't matter have nuclear or not) is even more can not be rule out.

Lie? Not really, more history. What the author did was to refashion the Mongol Yuan Empire (which did control those territories). This is in keeping with his desire to NOT make this about China. It also allows him to use the Mongol invasions of Japan as analogy. So there is no china, no mongol, no korean, no nationalities, the "enemy" is just a geographical region of East Asia.

The writer does use history as an inspiration for things though, one might have not noticed, but the anti magical movement in the USNA is based in "Boston", this was an allusion to the Salem Witch Craft Trials.

Mongol...not Chinese.China never claim Laos,north Vietnam or Korea. You said China previously.You are contradicting with yourself. Do me a favor.Please use a proper wording so it doesn't sound confusing or misleading.

China has pretty much retaken all the land that China has claimed was its own

I guess you haven't noticed but he doesn't go out of his way to praise Japan that much, their government is weak and divided, the clans are insular in thinking, more concerned with their own arguments. His Japanese characters are no smarter than the foreigners, in some ways they are even dumber (outside of course Tatsuya and Fujibayashi) in many ways.

I haven't read the novel yet so I only judge from what I seen so far in anime and the setting. So far I said the setting is way too unrealistic and poorly written.Not to mention the author seems to have grudge on country that has territorial dispute with Japan which are China and Russia.

That said, I will agree that he isn't a very mature writer, his character and their motivations are pretty weak, and their geopolitical understandings are a bit lame, but that applies equally across all nationalities. Perhaps people are taking this a little too personally, so they only notice when THEIR nationality is portrayed simplistically, but it has been pretty much across the board.

Fair enough.

But as for "nationalism", there really isn't that much outside of his MC is Japanese.

From what I can see so far,either he is ignorance of geopolitic standings as you said or he is truly nationalist. Base on what other said so far on how Chinese(GAA) being portrayed as entirely weak, pathetic,I am more leaning towards nationalistic.

There are other anime that portray Chinese as villains such as Sword of Stranger(not really a fan of that anime tbh) but at least,the main characters are not overpower and do not easily beat the villains.Perhaps,that is why Mahouka receive so much hate and accused of nationalism while Sword of Stranger do not.

So for those who have read the light novel and watch Sword of Stranger,can tell me how weak is the Chinese villains compare to the Chinese villains in Sword of Stranger? Perhaps,there will be less hatred towards this show if only the Chinese villains are not pathetic and weak. Portraying China as very weak compare to Japan really is trying to show off Japan superiority towards Chinese. I call that nationalism.

There something else I want to ask. Ichijou earn his nickname Crimson Prince by defeating the Soviet right? Did he and his father Gouki,just two of them successfully defeat the Soviet?Even if the war is small scalel,but if just two person(and one of them is just 13 years old) take down the entire army,it's quite obvious the author is trying to prove Japan superiority over the Russian. Another sign of nationalism here.

Mod Edit: Removed insults from quote.
VudisAug 19, 2014 10:18 AM

Aug 18, 2014 9:16 PM
Oct 2012
Zapredon said:
Like I said,it can not be coincidence.

Why not? I mean really. This is a work of "fiction", the writer has purposefully created a fictional world, so the more things you find "strange" the more you are proving that the writer isn't "nationalistic" because his world is divorced from our reality.

Personally I think he created "global cooling", not to indulge in some bizarre nationalistic urge, but rather because it ABSOLVES countries for their actions. He has stated this several times directly in the novel that the world was such that foreign attacks on Japan were "the way the world was".

Mongol...not Chinese. You said China previously. Do me a favor.Please use a proper wording so it doesn't sound confusing or misleading.

China has pretty much retaken all the land that China has claimed was its own

Let's distinguish between two things here. Mongol would be want the writer seemed to be aiming for; however China has used its Yuan borders to justify its rule of Tibet and Xinjiang (as well as some conflict with India over their border and with Vietnam over their borders). Now China doesn't claim "Korea", however the internal logic is the same.

When I wrote "China" I was thinking of this claim, but that got me thinking of the writer's intent and I realized that all he did was reconstituted the Mongol Empire.

Why do I think this of the writer? Because if the writer was truly nationalistic he would have given Tibet its freedom, or made some point about that. But that would disrupt the fictional setting the writer was trying to create.

Zapredon said:
From what I can see so far,either he is ignorance of geopolitic standings as you said or he is truly nationalist.

Sigh. There is a third option you know. This is a work of fiction so of course it doesn't reflect current geopolitical situations....

millie10468 said:
You come off as objective so I tend to believe whatever you write, whether it's criticism or praise. Keep up the good work :)

Thank you :-)

While true objectivity may not exist, I always try to keep my biases in mind when I write, and my goal is to be as objective as I can, so I really appreciate having you say that.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
VudisAug 19, 2014 10:19 AM
Aug 18, 2014 9:24 PM

Aug 2008
Takuan_Soho said:

Why not? I mean really. This is a work of "fiction", the writer has purposefully created a fictional world, so the more things you find "strange" the more you are proving that the writer isn't "nationalistic" because his world is divorced from our reality.

Personally I think he created "global cooling", not to indulge in some bizarre nationalistic urge, but rather because it ABSOLVES countries for their actions. He has stated this several times directly in the novel that the world was such that foreign attacks on Japan were "the way the world was".

Fiction for his nationalism.The two countries that causes war happen to be the two countries that has territorial dispute with Japan.

I remember someone said before that it's ok to have Chinese as villain because that just the way it is in real life. I can't remember who said it whether it was you or someone else. If we are to talk about reality,then China war with Russia is unlikely.

Let's distinguish between two things here. Mongol would be want the writer seemed to be aiming for; however China has used its Yuan borders to justify its rule of Tibet and Xinjiang (as well as some conflict with India over their border and with Vietnam over their borders). Now China doesn't claim "Korea", however the internal logic is the same.

When I wrote "China" I was thinking of this claim, but that got me thinking of the writer's intent and I realized that all he did was reconstituted the Mongol Empire.

Please make it clear whether it's Tibet/Xinjiang or Korea,Laos and north Vietnam. I never have issue with you saying China claiming Tibet/Xinjiang but it's your claim that China want north Vietnam,Korea and Laos. You really need to make better posting next time.

Sigh. There is a third option you know. This is a work of fiction so of course it doesn't reflect current geopolitical situations....

Poor excuse. We all know anime/manga is like fan fiction but this Mahouka's author brought it to entirely new different level.

If the Chinese are being portrayed as one dimensional evil,weak and pathetic villains,then the author is just being racist.

There something else I want to ask. Ichijou earn his nickname Crimson Prince by defeating the Soviet right? Did he and his father Gouki,just two of them successfully defeat the Soviet?Even if the war is small scalel,but if just two person(and one of them is just 13 years old) take down the entire army,it's quite obvious the author is trying to prove Japan superiority over the Russian. Another sign of nationalism here.
ZapredonSep 27, 2014 11:08 PM

Aug 18, 2014 11:18 PM
Mar 2013
Zapredon said:

They're defending not attacking.
Defending is much easier than attacking, because they're protecting their own land.

also not only the two of them, but the whole ICHIJOU clan, they're the second largest clan after Saegusa. they're also supported by the Military.
Aug 19, 2014 1:53 AM

Aug 2008
hakazee said:
Zapredon said:

They're defending not attacking.
Defending is much easier than attacking, because they're protecting their own land.

also not only the two of them, but the whole ICHIJOU clan, they're the second largest clan after Saegusa. they're also supported by the Military.

Ok,that's good to hear. At least,the author still has some common sense.

Now,let just hope the author make the villain decent in Yokohama arc,if not he just being racist here.

EDIT:
I just read this minor spoiler(call it minor spoiler because it happen before present Mahouka timeline) about Maya and I feel that the author is truly being racist to the Chinese. Please don't say it's not Chinese but GAA or Dahan because those people are still ethnically/racially Chinese.

I have seen racism and stereotype being portrayed in anime/manga but the author of Mahouka take the cake and top them all.
ZapredonAug 19, 2014 9:28 PM

Aug 19, 2014 7:19 AM
Aug 2014
darkreaperix said:
Complaining about stuff like that is like complaining why all the strongest and popular U.S superheroes are American.Because most of them are created by American creators,same thing here.And they also fight villains from other countries.Blanche actually was more pathetic and helpless and they were mostly Japanese.
Marvel is also nationalistic, but they do have more racial diversity or world representation than most Japanese series imo. Mahouka included.
Aug 19, 2014 3:48 PM
Oct 2010
It does seem like the author is a bit anti-Chinese, for instance Tatsuya made sure to let us know all the villains from episode 18 were Chinese by saying their entire names. Secondly it's more likely yakuza would be pushing those magic boosters rather than triads, it simply doesn't make sense that the yakuza would allow them to operate such a profitable venture unchecked or without them on their home turf. From this angle it looks like the author is demonizing the Chinese and maybe bitter about how the statuses of both their countries has swapped.

Looking at it from another angle, China is actually the biggest threat to Japan, mostly because of Japan's own actions in WW2 and China becoming the superpower in Asia and the second most powerful nation on the planet. So given this other angle it just maybe that the author is going for a more realistic antagonist.
Aug 19, 2014 5:17 PM

Jan 2012
Maybe because they are spying/killing and withholding knowledge from other nations. To be honest it is a major theme of the show now. Deal with it~
Aug 19, 2014 6:02 PM
Oct 2012
skudoops said:
It does seem like the author is a bit anti-Chinese, for instance Tatsuya made sure to let us know all the villains from episode 18 were Chinese by saying their entire names.

No, that was a bit of psychological warfare going on, he was letting them know that not only did he know their "code" names, but the names they used in their public lives (which of course means their families are known - that was why his saying their names bothered that one guy so much).

skudoops said:
Secondly it's more likely yakuza would be pushing those magic boosters rather than triads, it simply doesn't make sense that the yakuza would allow them to operate such a profitable venture unchecked or without them on their home turf. From this angle it looks like the author is demonizing the Chinese and maybe bitter about how the statuses of both their countries has swapped.

This may be hard to accept, but it is true. The Yakuza doesn't engage in these activities because they are a quasi branch of the government. In exchange for not dealing in certain things, the Japanese government tacitly allows them to engage in things like prostitution, loan sharking, amphetamine, and some blackmail/extortion (for instance they dominate the wet towel industry).

Gambling strangely is not one of those things they engage heavily in. I have no idea why, but Pachinko in Japan (which is the main form of gambling) is actually controlled by the ethnic Korean community that lives in Japan.

Today in Japan the Russian and Chinese mafias have moved into those restricted industries (mostly drugs and smuggling) and it is a major law enforcement problem in rural coastal regions. Not claiming to be an expert, but I know some people with connections to the local police in one of these regions so I hear things.

Japan is a weird place, both on the good and bad side.

Overall I really think the writer meant to just use the "triads" as a cliche (one that even the Chinese know and directors like John Woo exploit), which is why he made a big deal about saying "Hong Kong" instead of Chinese (even though Hong Kong really shouldn't exist). And even then also remember that their whole "plot" was related to gambling, not drugs or even violence. They just wanted to win a bet.

As for Ichirou and the Russians. The whole plot of this show is that Magicians have become the nuclear weapons of this world. Keep that in mind, so yes, one or two people could defeat an entire army. That's the whole point of the show.

A little spoiler from the novels for context

Overall I think what the writer really wanted to do was to try to create a teenager "Cold War" secret agent series where magical secrets are the nuclear secrets. So he has injected a bunch of "international" elements into the story.
Takuan_SohoAug 19, 2014 6:10 PM
Aug 19, 2014 8:55 PM
Jul 2011
This topic is making me ask a question, all this time, why there aren't many Korean characters in anime, manga and light novel?

And it is strange for this series not to have any Korean characters.
For once I want to some Korean characters and how it is portrayed.

Chinese characters?
But isn't Korea is more closer to Japan?
So it is more likely that more Koreans in real life might reside in Japan.
This series is reality based fiction after all.
Even there aren't any countries called North Korea and South Korea anymore.
Aug 19, 2014 10:08 PM

Feb 2014
rladls717 said:
This topic is making me ask a question, all this time, why there aren't many Korean characters in anime, manga and light novel?

And it is strange for this series not to have any Korean characters.
For once I want to some Korean characters and how it is portrayed.

Chinese characters?
But isn't Korea is more closer to Japan?
So it is more likely that more Koreans in real life might reside in Japan.
Even there aren't any countries called North Korea and South Korea anymore.

Hikaru no Go has Korean character, and he is so strong in Go despite younger than Hikaru.
Aug 19, 2014 10:27 PM
Oct 2012
rladls717 said:

Not really. It is based upon history, but history is no longer reality. Today is different than the past.

In this story the Koreans have been absorbed by the "Greater Asian Alliance" which based on geography and actions seems to be based on the Mongol Empire. So what the author is doing is taking some history and using that to create the "future", this is why people shouldn't be too focused on today's situation, the writer isn't trying to duplicate "today".

A non Asian example would be his stating that "Boston" is the home of "anti magic" activity in the US. Now 300 years ago there were witch trials in Salem, but Boston today would more likely welcome magic than to fear it (with MIT and Harvard, Boston is the second major base of IT in the US after Silicon Valley). But for this type of story, referencing the history of Salem makes perfect sense, even though it has no relationship to today.

For me it seems the writer really is trying not to be nationalistic. He does actually give reasons for foreign powers to do what they do (however simplistic one may think it).

Now that said, I can see why some people think he has a thing against the Chinese, and this upcoming arc isn't going to change that, but my advice is to honestly think of the GAA as the Mongol Empire, and what is about to happen about is a modern gloss on the Mongols attempt to invade Japan. Not only will that be more acceptable to people, but it really is, I think, what the author's intent based upon his descriptions of events as they unfold.

I am not going to get into spoilers, but in the last five novels (which this animation will not cover) the author makes it clear that the Japanese themselves aren't all that great (both in the 10 clans and the Yotsuba family). Basically the only "good" people are the high school students, the adults everywhere really suck. In that this is your typical teenager novel, not a statement on geo political reality.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - 2 hours ago

18 by Zyro_Plaze »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.