Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 8, 2014 1:53 PM

Feb 2012
How exactly does the wish process of incubators work? I always thought Kyubey had the control over it. Yet when Madoka asks him to transform her into something that will pretty much create a universe with no witches (i.e. no girl to witch transformation, no energy for Kyubey to harvest) he just goes ahead and grants the wish. Why? Or is it that, in truth, the wish grants itself and Kyubey is some vessel in the process? I thought the wish granting was also part of Kyubey's alien technology, not some divine karmic magic.
Aug 9, 2014 1:01 AM

Apr 2014
Great question. I lean more to the second idea. Kyuubey's people specialize in energy conversion: we know they've found a technology to convert to convert emotional energy into physical energy, for example (at least, if we believe Kyuubey). I'm guessing they've also found a way to convert karmic energy into physical energy so as to grant wishes. Perhaps it's the same technology, in fact, or some variant on it. I see it as a "black box": input=wish+karmic potential, output=changes to the physical universe. They ought of course to have built in some safety features to prevent a wish such as Madoka's, but presumably never thought someone might make it (much as it never occurred to Sauron that someone might try to destroy the Ring).

A side point is that granting wishes is potentially very wasteful of energy - depending on the nature of the wish. If, even taking this outlay into account, the energy created through the creation of a grief seed still leaves the universe in credit, it's a testament to both to the Incubators' tech and to the emotional intensity of middle-school girls.
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."
Aug 23, 2014 3:25 AM
Aug 2014
I think it's also quite probable that the energy used to grant wishes is different from any basic form of energy. Sort of like a magical energy that might not have a limit. In theory, the act of magic in fictional/fantasy worlds is sort of just conjured up and created at will, so instead of actually burning energy you creating brand new energy that didn't existed before. The wishes could run off of something like this. It would also help explain why only girls with as much potential as Madoka could pull off a wish that large, because the potential magical energy within her was large enough to do so.
Aug 23, 2014 11:30 AM

Jan 2014
I agree. Because of the mentioned equality laws, I think that QB can transform karmic energy to physical energy. That said, it would only increase Entropy in the universe. So it makes sense for QB to grant wishes.
On the other hand, it would be useful for QB to grant wishes for himself, since it would increase physical energy in the universe. Or he simply bears very limited fate, so it's more rewarding to grant wishes to certain girls(?).

Maybe then, he transforms emotional energy into physical energy while granting wishes, and because of the leading events Magical girls produce even more emotional energy, so then everything makes sense (except that, according to myth, physical energy released after granting depends on the fate the girl bears (karma)). That would be double benefit for QB,he gains psychical energy while granting wish + later on huge amounts of more emotional energy produced by magical girls. QB can't grant wishes to himself, because he lacks emotions.(?)

I think it also may be story hole there, lol. Or this part is simply illogical and just "magic". Or I simply overlook something.
TapuTapuuAug 23, 2014 12:06 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.