Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 6, 2014 11:23 PM
Jul 2014
Is shoujo manga marketed towards female readers but actually consumed mostly by men? When I complile the list of manga I've read, 90% are shoujo. I'm a guy.
Are most shoujo manga fans male?
Aug 6, 2014 11:51 PM

Mar 2009
I don't believe so. Shonen seems to have more gender crossover. At least it seems that way in Japan, I'm not too sure about outside of Japan, but I'm still pretty sure most shojo fans are female. I do think more men are in the anime/manga fandom in general (in the US, that or they're more vocal)
Of course, shojo has awesome epics like Banana Fish and Basara, there's nothing wrong with liking shojo.
Aug 6, 2014 11:53 PM
Dec 2013
^ninjarekt

well, there is more female fans than male but lately the amount of male fans have been increasing (including me). this is me just generalizing from forums sites and japanese sites
Aug 7, 2014 1:36 AM

Jul 2012
To be honest, I don't care who it's for. If I like it, I like it.
Something people need to understand is that Males and Females are the same, our psychical bodies may be different, but our minds and thoughts are all the same. The only reason we have things like "girly colours" and "man toys" is because that's how we were raised.

It doesn't matter if an anime/manga was made for girls, if it amuses me. My penis has nothing to do with what I watch/read.
Aug 7, 2014 12:04 PM

Jan 2014
Dante8779 said:
Something people need to understand is that Males and Females are the same, our psychical bodies may be different, but our minds and thoughts are all the same. The only reason we have things like "girly colours" and "man toys" is because that's how we were raised.

Pretty much this.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Aug 7, 2014 8:26 PM

Jun 2009
FallnKnightFakir said:

Of course, shojo has awesome epics like Banana Fish and Basara, there's nothing wrong with liking shojo.

Damn, that Banan Fish sounds pretty interesting. Maybe I'll read it after I finish Sailor Moon.

Also, I pretty much second what Dante said. A lot of truth there.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 7, 2014 11:07 PM

Aug 2014
It doesn't really matter if guys like shoujo manga, since tons of girls like shounen anyway.

This makes me remember those rumours about a number of shoujo and yaoi manga artists being dudes with female pen names. I can only wonder if this plays any part in all of this.
Aug 8, 2014 5:23 AM

Apr 2011
No, its just you and your circle (no offense). But in bigger community, female reader for shoujo is still in majority. But males who buy stuff like "Nakayoshi" are not in the small number either. Well, they're reading mostly for different reason though.
Aug 8, 2014 7:35 PM

Sep 2013
allflying said:
But males who buy stuff like "Nakayoshi" are not in the small number either. Well, they're reading mostly for different reason though.

Lol, hey I read Nakayoshi and I don't have any hidden motives.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Aug 12, 2014 4:22 PM

May 2011
Shoujo is marketed to girls, Shounen was marketed to boys but since the newer generartions are changing so are their taste. The girls (some) who used to like shoujo for the romance got sick of it and went to some other genre. The boys who like action and the power of friendship got sick of that and went to another genre like shoujo. Even if shoujo is catered to girls they are also catering to guys like you as well since the people in the business knows damn well they're getting money either way.
As for fans, I'd say it's still female based, remember this girls like romance more then guys do and when I mean romance I mean mentally exhausting love triangles.

As you can tell I don't do well with most shoujo's I read.
BishoujotakuAug 12, 2014 4:26 PM

“Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short and wear shirts and boots because it’s okay to be a boy; for girls it’s like promotion. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, according to you, because secretly you believe that being a girl is degrading.”—Ian McEwan, The Cement Garden (1978)
Aug 13, 2014 12:50 AM

Jun 2014
This happened to be my case but i feel like us guys watched too much action/adventure/cool/shounen anime to begin with and watched so much of it that shoujo was refreshing and something new so we end up watching it.
Aug 13, 2014 6:58 PM

Jul 2012
tankker5 said:
This happened to be my case but i feel like us guys watched too much action/adventure/cool/shounen anime to begin with and watched so much of it that shoujo was refreshing and something new so we end up watching it.

You sir make a convincing argument, I mean explosions and fighting are awesome, but it's very difficult to make them unique.
Aug 14, 2014 3:16 AM

Apr 2011
tankker5 said:

In my case, its the other way around. My cousin loves shoujo manga, most of my reading since childhood are shoujo manga. Then, CLAMP happened. Now, I must face childhood trauma whenever I'm about to watch/read something from female demographic.
Aug 15, 2014 5:39 PM

Jun 2014
Dante8779 said:

It doesn't matter if an anime/manga was made for girls, if it amuses me. My penis has nothing to do with what I watch/read.

This. I love Ouran High School Host Club for its entertainment value and it's humor. I don't care who it's marketed for.
Aug 15, 2014 5:48 PM

Dec 2012
Dante8779 said:

This.
Aug 15, 2014 6:10 PM
Sep 2013
I think anime and manga are in very different situation

My impression says many of Late-night anime adapted from shoujo manga literally has more male followers than female. e.g. Chihayafuru,Natsume Yujincho,Nodame,Kimi Ni Todoke,Hell Girl,Tonari no kaibutsu kun

But average/non-big-name shoujo manga has much large number of female readers.
Aug 16, 2014 7:50 AM
Aug 2014
tankker5 said:

i agree, i think that becoz of we watch to many action and the power of friendship kinda thing that like we prefer something with a new take on anime in this case it's shoujo anime
Aug 16, 2014 9:10 AM
May 2009
simply put love happens between a BOY and a GIRL . i am talking about normal circumstances

see . BOY . so its certain that boys are interested in LOVE STORIES and ROMANCE . the other factor is SHOUJO manga are mostly

real life manga . SHOUJO manga deal with day to day life of humans and their feelings and emotions and hence are more engaging .

i like SHOUJO MANGA and read them because of ART GOOD DIALOGUE and NATURAL HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS PROGRESSION
latest manga raws/spoilers/covers/colour pictures updates at https://www.facebook.com/Manga.Utopia
Aug 19, 2014 10:49 AM
Aug 2012
The large audience of shoujo manga is of course younger girls, hence the classification as 少女. That being said there obviously is a male audience for it, but in comparison the the younger girl audience it would probably be quite small.
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Aug 21, 2014 12:22 PM
Feb 2013
I doubt it has a mostly male fan base although Cardcaptor Sakura is one of my favorite manga

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
4 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
6 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
7 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.