Forum Settings
Forums

do you find anime fans to be generally less intelligent than other fandoms?

New
Do you find anime fans to be generally less intelligent than other fandoms?
Jul 30, 2014 7:13 PM
Jan 2009
I guess when I was growing up, only nerds like myself liked anime, sans DBZ which everyone liked

But now that's it become more mainstream and anime as a medium has become less intelligent and more homogenized, I find that I know of many self-referential "anime fans"

but now I've noticed that it doesn't just attract movie nerds, gamers and loners who speak exclusively in C++, but another breed of people... Ones who seem to have no discernible talents or skills or will to succeed, but they love the shit out of SAO. Kind of like Juggalos, but cleaner for the most part.

Whereas finding high-IQ anime fans is very difficult for me.

Is this a local phenomena?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 30, 2014 7:17 PM

Mar 2014
Yes OP you're retarded.

So am I, I mean we like anime. What the fuck are we doing with our lives?
Jul 30, 2014 7:19 PM
Jan 2009
first world problems indeed

baka chinese cartoons
Jul 30, 2014 7:20 PM

Oct 2013
@op what made you come to this conclusion?
Jul 30, 2014 7:21 PM

Oct 2012
l0l do u think anime is the only fandom like this

So much more to learn m8
Jul 30, 2014 7:32 PM

Jan 2013
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 30, 2014 7:34 PM

Nov 2011
There are plenty of intelligent people who like anime. It just depends on who you talk to and hang around.

You'll find less intelligent people everywhere. It's not limited to the anime/manga fandom.

I feel like captain obvious right now. -.-
Jul 30, 2014 7:41 PM

Apr 2012
George Washington didn't watch anime...
You know who did?
Adolf Hitler.
Jul 30, 2014 7:42 PM

Dec 2013
I have a question
Is this anime discussion forum just made for us to insult each other and blame about things we dont like ?
Jul 30, 2014 7:43 PM
Aug 2012
This is not the first time I have seen this thread.
Jul 30, 2014 7:47 PM

Feb 2012
No, but you're swaying me.
Jul 30, 2014 7:47 PM

Feb 2010
Nyron said:

Takes one to find one.

No.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 30, 2014 7:50 PM

Jun 2014
i like femdom
Jul 30, 2014 8:04 PM

Dec 2012
Nyron said:
I guess when I was growing up, only nerds like myself liked anime, sans DBZ which everyone liked

But now that's it become more mainstream and anime as a medium has become less intelligent and more homogenized, I find that I know of many self-referential "anime fans"

but now I've noticed that it doesn't just attract movie nerds, gamers and loners who speak exclusively in C++, but another breed of people... Ones who seem to have no discernible talents or skills or will to succeed, but they love the shit out of SAO. Kind of like Juggalos, but cleaner for the most part.

Man, I'm so envious. I wish I were a smart and skilled nerd like you. Is there anything I can do to better myself as an anime fan aside from learning C++?

Please, teach me Nyron-sama. I just want to be worthy of the original, real fans of this form of entertainment.
Jul 30, 2014 8:08 PM

Feb 2013
i really wonder what fandoms are you thinking of
Jul 30, 2014 8:10 PM

Apr 2014
It seems like a lot of people on the fuwanovel community act like they're the fucking scholars of the world. I find that there are many people attending school on MAL though and everyone isn't as stuck up about their education and etiquette around here

Jul 30, 2014 8:10 PM

Oct 2012
Like every fandom it depends, the anime community is at lease more competent than fandoms like the video game community and MLP fanbase for whatever that's worth.

Jul 30, 2014 8:13 PM

Jun 2013
Well, being that I enjoy anime avidly--and that enjoying anime is indicative of being retarded--I'm a complete, and total dumbass.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 30, 2014 8:16 PM

Feb 2013
Shrabster said:
Like every fandom it depends, the anime community is at lease more competent than fandoms like the video game community and MLP fanbase for whatever that's worth.
how do you measure the competence of a fandom?
Jul 30, 2014 8:20 PM

Dec 2012
romagia said:
Shrabster said:
Whichever one can identify best girl is the winner. That's the responsibility of the few and proud.
Jul 30, 2014 8:22 PM

Feb 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
romagia said:
Whichever one can identify best girl is the winner. That's the responsibility of the few and proud.
okay, i claim twilight sparkle and princess peach as my pony and vidya waifus
Jul 30, 2014 8:23 PM
Jan 2009
opondica said:
Nyron said:

Man, I'm so envious. I wish I were a smart and skilled nerd like you. Is there anything I can do to better myself as an anime fan aside from learning C++?

Please, teach me Nyron-sama. I just want to be worthy of the original, real fans of this form of entertainment.

pfff i don't know how to program anything

but yeah you gave FLCL a 4 and your list is all shows where the girls look like pastel gremlins

That just shows a lack of being able to understand anything more complex than a TV commercial, which is low-IQ

sorry mate
you're beyond my healing touch
Jul 30, 2014 8:25 PM

Sep 2008
Nyron said:

It sounds like you're way of thinking about "Nerds" is stuck in the 90s/early 2000s. EVERY fandom has stupid people. Movie, games, anime. I've met scientists I personally think are stupid as fuck. Every person is different and if you can't find an intelligent one, maybe you should re-evaluate the people you talk to and hang out with

Ragna the Bloodedge...YOU'RE STUPID!!! ~Noel Vermillion (>^.^)>
Jul 30, 2014 8:31 PM

Oct 2012
romagia said:

The message boards mostly. For example, the video game community is filled with nothing but self entitled kids to teens arguing about which console is better, graphics, and can't get along for shit from my experience. The anime community argues, but mostly light heartedly about best girls.

Ratohnhaketon said:
A sacred right the requires the purest mind, body, and soul.

Jul 30, 2014 8:42 PM

Apr 2014
you can find stupid people everywhere maybe youre only associating with people whos only common interest in anime and youre just unlucky and and only meeting stupid people.
Jul 30, 2014 8:45 PM

Feb 2013
Shrabster said:
romagia said:

The message boards mostly. For example, the video game community is filled with nothing but self entitled kids to teens arguing about which console is better, graphics, and can't get along for shit from my experience. The anime community argues, but mostly light heartedly about best girls.
looking on the first page of /v/ and /a/, it's mostly listing threads, and threads about individual games/ongoing anime

i cant imagine someone who participates daily in console wars and graphics arguments because there is a logical conclusion to each of those arguments, unlike best girl kind of threads

stop going to shitty video game message boards =/
Jul 30, 2014 8:46 PM
Jan 2009
Shrabster said:
romagia said:

The anime community argues, but mostly light heartedly about best girls.

back in my day, we talked about high-level academia such as whether kenshin could beat samurai jack
or the mysteries of Eva
and not about which sameface girl we want to waifu

these are bad times for the animus
Jul 30, 2014 8:47 PM

Jun 2010
I don't know about stupid, but some anime fans I've met were pretty bigoted and pretentious.
Jul 30, 2014 8:57 PM

Mar 2014
I wouldn't say that. But I have noticed that a lot of anime fans from the West are ignorant as fuck about anime and how the industry works. I just think it's weird how some people claim to be "obsessed" with something and not really know anything about it. I've come across so many self-proclaimed "hardcore" anime fans who think demographics are genres, moe is "killing the industry", SoL = little girls sitting around and talking, sexual fanservice is the only form of fanservice, ect.
Jul 30, 2014 9:00 PM
Nov 2013
I think you don't know math

Jul 30, 2014 9:00 PM

Oct 2012
romagia said:

Every video game forum I've ever been to has been like that, with /v/ being the worse. There no reasonable debates, just a bunch of kids calling each other faggots for disagreeing with their opinion. It's either people praising the latest flavor of the month title, people arguing about who a "real gamer" is, and a bunch of other silly go no where arguments. System Wars isn't much better, much like /v/ minus the word faggot and autistic being thrown around. At least with /a/ the threads are all "What does Sinon's butt smell like?"

Jul 30, 2014 9:01 PM

Feb 2013
Nyron said:
Shrabster said:

The anime community argues, but mostly light heartedly about best girls.

back in my day, we talked about high-level academia such as whether kenshin could beat samurai jack
or the mysteries of Eva
and not about which sameface girl we want to waifu

these are bad times for the animus
high level academia of today includes talking about anime sales, the studio&director culture that is stronger than ever, the mysteries of eva which continue to this day via the rebuilds, and the occasional anime that generates a good ammount of discussions and gets mentioned really often like snk, ngnl, sao, madoka, k-on, etc plus the more artsy stuff like tatami galaxy, ping pong, kyousougiga,,,;
the best girl discussions are what arises when you watch too much seasonal anime and this is the best discussion you can get out of those anime, and are so easy to ignore i don't even
in comparison, talking about fights seems so primitive to me :/

Shrabster said:
romagia said:

Every video game forum I've ever been to has been like that, with /v/ being the worse. There no reasonable debates, just a bunch of kids calling each other faggots for disagreeing with their opinion. System Wars isn't much better, much like /v/ minus the word faggot and autistic being thrown around.
the only discussions like that that appear often enough for them to irk me are mobawars and SJW dramas; also loldebates, what debates could you have about video games >_>'
Jul 30, 2014 9:13 PM

Oct 2012
romagia said:
what debates could you have about video games >_>'
None because it's not so much about what the debate is about as much as how it's handled. If the community consisted of something else besides primarily kids and teens maybe it'd be different, but for now I have given up on any video game message board and just occasionally browse them for news.

Jul 30, 2014 9:16 PM

Feb 2013
Shrabster said:
romagia said:
what debates could you have about video games >_>'
None because it's not so much about what the debate is about as much as how it's handled. If the community consisted of something else besides primarily kids and teens maybe it'd be different, but for now I have given up on any video game message board and just occasionally browse them for news.
and perhaps discussions about these news? :^)
Jul 30, 2014 9:19 PM

Oct 2012
romagia said:
Shrabster said:
Maybe if the threads didn't go something like

"New MGSV The Phantom Pain trailer!"

"Enjoy your movie you weeaboo faggot."

Jul 30, 2014 9:24 PM

Feb 2013
Shrabster said:
romagia said:
Maybe if the threads didn't go something like

"New MGSV The Phantom Pain trailer!"

"Enjoy your movie you weeaboo faggot."
i donno there might be two hundred other comments actually discussing the trailer and/or the mgs universe
Jul 30, 2014 9:29 PM

Apr 2009
Third option x100.
If you look at any community, whether it be for comics, movies, or w/e, you will always run into the occasional idiot(s) here and there. It's just a tendency. It's an unreasonable expectation to think that your community should have about same standards as you do. There will always be variations out there.
Jul 30, 2014 9:30 PM

Oct 2012
romagia said:
i donno there might be two hundred other comments actually discussing the trailer and/or the mgs universe
Maybe a few, buried in the replies that say "Go back to your Westernized Hollywood garbage" to the one guy.

Jul 30, 2014 9:32 PM

Feb 2013
Shrabster said:
romagia said:
Maybe a few, buried in the replies that say "Go back to your Westernized Hollywood garbage" to the one guy.
yes negative man, that always happens and it gets 999 replies every time
Jul 30, 2014 9:33 PM

Oct 2012
romagia said:
Shrabster said:
yes negative man, that always happens and it gets 999 replies every time
From my experience :/

Jul 30, 2014 9:43 PM

Dec 2012
Nyron said:
opondica said:

pfff i don't know how to program anything

but yeah you gave FLCL a 4 and your list is all shows where the girls look like pastel gremlins

That just shows a lack of being able to understand anything more complex than a TV commercial, which is low-IQ

sorry mate
you're beyond my healing touch

But I want to try anyways! What can I do to become like you?

How do I cure myself of my terrible shit taste and learn to experience truly intellectual anime like FLCL, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, or Michiko to Hatachin? And if I do, will senpai finally notice me?
Jul 30, 2014 9:44 PM

Oct 2012
Idk, I've only seen One Direction/Justin Bieber fandoms in action... and umm, let's just say anime fans tend to be a little bit smarter than them.
Jul 30, 2014 9:50 PM

Aug 2009
Hahaha, I agree with u kalypze.
Jul 30, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2014
Not necessarily less intelligent, but some are pretty screwed in the head for seashore
Jul 30, 2014 10:07 PM

Sep 2013
All fans are the same.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 30, 2014 10:18 PM

Jan 2014
Where's the No option?
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Jul 30, 2014 10:24 PM
Jul 2014
I would like to say yes, but I think were all a little weird and delusional.

Most people I've met that like anime can at least hold a conversation.
Jul 30, 2014 10:45 PM

Jul 2012
Well...at least not with there money, I think other fandoms unless they dress up have to spend a bit less, I mean some figures cost $100+ dollars.
Jul 30, 2014 10:53 PM

Sep 2012
Lol, anime fans are getting stupid because not only nerd weirdos are anime fans any more.

Ok Op.
Jul 30, 2014 11:02 PM

Jun 2012
skyzblue said:
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Make a niqqer wanna run straight through the fence.
Red_Keys said:
Lol, anime fans are getting stupid because not only nerd weirdos are anime fans any more.

Ok Op.
The nerd otaku need something to pick at less they'd be overrun by those of us who might not have twelve hours a day to watch watered down saturday morning cartoons in our parents basements.
OchimushaJul 30, 2014 11:05 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

86 by vampirismsxc »»
4 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 19 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

40 by deg »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

228 by KeyiOs »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.