Forum Settings
Forums

Iyashikei Short films, movies,visual novels and one shots

New
Jun 20, 2014 11:24 PM

Apr 2008
As an avid fan of anime shorts and manga one shots, as well as full length cinema, I noticed that there are not many of these present on the club's list and I thought I might invite the group to recommend their favourites and possibly get some discussion going about them here.

For example, do you think manga such as Omoide Emanon (Memories of Emanon) or Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku (Music of Marie) or films such as Kotonoha no Niwa (The Garden of Words) fit this genre or no?

Also, what about visual novels, such as Golden Sky Stories?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 5, 2014 12:55 AM
Oct 2013
This is the first I've heard of a visual novel called Golden Sky Stories. Wasn't that an RPG on Kickstarter? Was it any good?

The Garden of Words has excellent visuals. Was the rain hand drawn? I'd argue that it was more romance then Iyashikei but if we're keeping K-On on the list then a lot of Shinkai's stuff should be here as well. As for the other shorts you've brought up, I'm pretty sure this is the first I've heard of them. I think the only thing I've watched that would qualify as a short would be Time of Eve.
May 19, 2015 9:04 AM

Apr 2008
I have a manga recommendation:
Ritoru Foresuto by Igarashi Daisuke
http://www.mangareader.net/little-forest

This was a lovely little series full of peaceful, growing feelings for me. Very reminiscent of YKK and Non non Biyori. It would be nice to see an anime adaptation of this series.

There is also a two part film version entitled "Little Forest: Summer/Autumn" and "Little Forest: Winter/Spring".

Little Forest - Summer/Autumn:
Ichiko, a young woman who recently broke up with her city boyfriend, returns to her countryside childhood home and lives off the land, cooking extraordinarily breathtaking Japanese dishes based on the ingredients of the season.

Little Forest - Winter/Spring picks up where Summer/Autumn left off, with Ichiko’s maternal memories of food preparation and a garden covered with snow. The seasonal feasts have become much more focused around preserved foods and warm interactions with her sparse neighbor visitors.

I am only familiar with this work by Igarashi Daisuke but I now plan to read them all. I will report back if I feel his works are largely iyashikei and slice of life.
Jan 25, 2016 9:20 AM
Jul 2012
New to the club, so wanted to make a contribution. Here's a list of anime shorts that are close to the list of related shows on the page.

Hotarubi no Mori e - From the same mangaka as Natsume Yuujinchou, covers a series of summer vacations from a "normal" girl in a similar friendly but scary yokai environment.

Ojiisan no Lamp - felt like a historical Mushishi episode without any floating bugs, a nice glimpse of a person's life based on the adoption of a technology and what happens once it becomes obsolete.

Le Maison en Petits Cubes - Short animation with no dialogue, you can imagine it being taking part on Mars/Aqua and in the history of the show Aria the animation.
Jan 27, 2016 7:32 PM

Apr 2008
NuttyNUTTS said:
New to the club, so wanted to make a contribution. Here's a list of anime shorts that are close to the list of related shows on the page.

Hotarubi no Mori e - From the same mangaka as Natsume Yuujinchou, covers a series of summer vacations from a "normal" girl in a similar friendly but scary yokai environment.

Ojiisan no Lamp - felt like a historical Mushishi episode without any floating bugs, a nice glimpse of a person's life based on the adoption of a technology and what happens once it becomes obsolete.

Le Maison en Petits Cubes - Short animation with no dialogue, you can imagine it being taking part on Mars/Aqua and in the history of the show Aria the animation.

All great recommendations! Thanks NuttyNUTTS! ^_^
May 13, 2016 2:17 AM

Dec 2009
Well, there's OVA for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou for a start. In fact there are two of them. Still baffles me why there is no TV series yet.

Also check The Diary of Tortov Roddle, from the same person who brought us Le Maison en Petits Cubes.
Feb 9, 2018 12:16 AM

Apr 2008
minoru09 said:
Well, there's OVA for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou for a start. In fact there are two of them. Still baffles me why there is no TV series yet.

Also check The Diary of Tortov Roddle, from the same person who brought us Le Maison en Petits Cubes.

Great suggestions, minoru! Kino Katou is one of my favourites!
Feb 21, 2018 9:21 PM
Jan 2008
Mangas too? As for visual novels, I suppose you could take a look at all the ones tagged slice of life here: https://vndb.org/g454

Seems they used to have an iyshikei tag but since it was too subjective they scrapped it entirely.
St_HaborymFeb 21, 2018 9:47 PM
May 1, 2018 2:00 AM

Oct 2012
St_Haborym said:
Mangas too? As for visual novels, I suppose you could take a look at all the ones tagged slice of life here: https://vndb.org/g454
Most of the vns on there are not really iyashikei at all.

The only vn I know of that has iyashikei in it and is translated to english is seabed. (But from what I heard the translation quality is lacking, so unfortunately I can't really recommend it.)
LaniakaMay 1, 2018 2:12 AM
Feb 27, 2019 7:19 PM

Aug 2007
starshinesMonet said:

There is also a two part film version entitled "Little Forest: Summer/Autumn" and "Little Forest: Winter/Spring".

Little Forest - Summer/Autumn:
Ichiko, a young woman who recently broke up with her city boyfriend, returns to her countryside childhood home and lives off the land, cooking extraordinarily breathtaking Japanese dishes based on the ingredients of the season.

Little Forest - Winter/Spring picks up where Summer/Autumn left off, with Ichiko’s maternal memories of food preparation and a garden covered with snow. The seasonal feasts have become much more focused around preserved foods and warm interactions with her sparse neighbor visitors.

I am very interested in watching this, anyone knows where I can find it?
Sep 4, 2021 9:42 PM

Apr 2008
I saw Little Forest in the theatre but I just checked and it’s available on Amazon prime
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What is your favourite Iyashikei-esque music?

The_Real_Calluma - Jul 23, 2021

3 by Cioccolata »»
Jul 26, 2023 11:43 PM

» Best Iyashikei Anime Ever?

jacob0988 - Nov 29, 2018

22 by ijontichy »»
Feb 14, 2023 4:10 AM

Sticky: » Request ( 1 2 )

ZorroGuevara - Nov 30, 2013

78 by PrincesaLuminosa »»
Jan 4, 2023 10:17 AM

Sticky: » Iyashikei Challenge

Snap-san - Oct 21, 2019

1 by Robinne »»
Oct 21, 2019 11:47 AM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori

ZorroGuevara - Dec 1, 2013

4 by GinkoGames »»
Apr 25, 2017 8:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.