Forum Settings
Forums

Ignore User Greasemonkey Script for the Forums

New
Sep 22, 2009 7:00 PM

Jul 2007
Introduction:
So I heard that people find each other annoying or something [GASP!] on the forums.

So anyways, I've created a grease-monkey script for firefox. It should also work with tampermonkey on google chrome. If you are interested in greasemonkey scripts, you can also find more information here:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=41685

Use of the Script:
This script will add a simple "Ignore User" link at the bottom of every post. If you ignore a user, their posts and quotes will be collapsed. The script allows you to expand quotes or posts on a case-by-case basis. Ignored posts collapse everything except for online status, access rank, and the username.

Get the Script:
http://irc.tmj.im/images/IgnoreMALUser.user.js
Firefox users: http://irc.tmj.im/images/IgnoreMALUserFF.user.js

Acknowledgments:
I would like to thank Kineta, xjellocross, kuroshiroi, freelodeen, cloud1234 and asako for helping me beta test and for suggesting important functionality improvements. (Beep me if you wish to be removed from this list.)

Intended Audience:

User Support:
Well... I am doing this for free, and I'm bloody busy, but if you notice any bugs or have suggestions for features, I'll look into the feasibility.

MAL Ignore User Script Future Features:

IMPORTANT NOTES (Obligatory as I am a forum mod, if you're lazy just be sure to check the IMPORTANT BOLD/RED SHIT before using the script):

Less important notes (about me and the script's capabilities, ohhh! so self-centered, aren't I?):

Contact Information:
asandariFeb 27, 2015 9:22 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2009 7:03 PM

Jul 2009
Use of the Script:
This script will add a simple "Ignore User" link at the bottom of every post. If you ignore a user, their posts and quotes will be collapsed. The script allows you to expand quotes or posts on a case-by-case basis. Ignored posts collapse everything except for online status, access rank, and the username.

Is it just in one thread or once you "ignore user" it applies to all their post?
Sep 22, 2009 7:05 PM

Jul 2007
Nikoli said:
Use of the Script:

Is it just in one thread or once you "ignore user" it applies to all their post?

This will work on all forum posts and quotes in any area of the website for as long as you have the script installed. If you uninstall the script your blacklist will be lost and your blacklist is tied to your firefox profile. (So anyone who uses the same browser as you with the same settings will also have the same effects from the script.)
Sep 22, 2009 7:05 PM
Jan 2009
+1
Sep 22, 2009 7:06 PM

Nov 2007
ilu asandari
more than yellow Mai
Sep 22, 2009 7:08 PM

Jul 2009
Beef_Whistle said:
Good job man, but I fear you have created a monster.

Yeh, sounds a little "too much"....they could just manually ignore the user (ie. see my post and just scroll past it).
Sep 22, 2009 7:09 PM

Jul 2007
Both of those things have been addressed in the above... rather elaborate... opening post. ;)

Also, loving anything any more than yellow mai is blasphemy, let alone me. D:
Sep 22, 2009 7:11 PM

Jun 2008
It doesn't really help in the sense that most troll posts who can hit a home run at provocation is usually quote-worthy by others.
Sep 22, 2009 7:13 PM

Jul 2007
Tachii said:
It doesn't really help in the sense that most troll posts who can hit a home run at provocation is usually quote-worthy by others.

Quotes are ignored by the script too. This does not work, however, when alterations are made to the quote. I have added exceptions specifically so that it could work with the gender/compat script, though.
There are also some slight issues with the fact that people can change their usernames, but luckily that only happens once a month and should be some-what addressed when the control panel is added.
Sep 22, 2009 7:14 PM

May 2008
Oh my god, that's incredible. Though I'm not planning on using this, it's an amazing job.
Oh, and I really liked the Intended Audience part.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Sep 22, 2009 7:17 PM

Jul 2009
asandari said:
Both of those things have been addressed in the above... rather elaborate... opening post. ;)

Also, loving anything any more than yellow mai is blasphemy, let alone me. D:

Yeh, so if someone quotes you they can't ignore you...got it.

Oh I think you should change it to:
Intended Audience:
Sep 22, 2009 7:18 PM
Dec 2008
Thank you.
Sep 22, 2009 7:21 PM

May 2009
Don't find this useful. I've never seen a post in my life that enraged or annoyed me so much that I'd throw a fit and refuse to read their posts anymore. When/if it happens I'll check back. Wonder if anyone will ignore me

Don't recommend me something that is still publishing, unless its close to being finished. Don't recommend me anything that isn't licensed.
Sep 22, 2009 7:24 PM

Jul 2007
Creepazoid said:
Wonder if anyone will ignore me

Please don't, it's better for my sanity.

Beef_Whistle said:
My gender / compat script stopped working :(

Could you describe the problem? Do both scripts stop working? Do either work partially?
Unfortunately I can't test this myself as I can't install the gender/compat script but I am going to try to look into this now.
Sep 22, 2009 7:26 PM

Jun 2008
asandari said:
Quotes are ignored by the script too. This does not work, however, when alterations are made to the quote. I have added exceptions specifically so that it could work with the gender/compat script, though.
There are also some slight issues with the fact that people can change their usernames, but luckily that only happens once a month and should be some-what addressed when the control panel is added.
Oh, cool. I doubt people rarely edit troll quotes. Only length quotes are highly editable. But wouldn't it be weird if the quote doesn't exist but someone is obviously replying to it?
Sep 22, 2009 7:29 PM

Jul 2007
Tachii said:
asandari said:
Oh, cool. I doubt people rarely edit troll quotes. Only length quotes are highly editable. But wouldn't it be weird if the quote doesn't exist but someone is obviously replying to it?

It will show a link where the quote would normally be. This link says something like "Expand <User>'s Quote".
Sep 22, 2009 7:33 PM

Jun 2008
Damn, now it sounds even more awesome than before I understood what's going on here. I might just ignore that particular guy who seems to (unconsciously) troll bait people all the time...
Sep 22, 2009 7:33 PM

Jul 2007
Interesting. I guess part of the element modifications done with my script disrupt the selectors used by the gender script.
My script only works on myanimelist.net/forums/* to prevent unnecessary collisions like this.
Sep 22, 2009 8:35 PM

Jan 2009
Thank you very much. This feature works really well.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

Sep 22, 2009 8:38 PM

Jul 2009
Stubs said:

Yeh, feel as if I'm being ignored already.

If you're ignored by someone can you still see their posts?
Sep 22, 2009 8:58 PM

Jul 2007
Yes, you cannot hide your posts from other people.
Sep 22, 2009 9:57 PM

Oct 2007
Nikoli said:
Stubs said:

Yeh, feel as if I'm being ignored already.

If you're ignored by someone can you still see their posts?
The code would have to be server-side for it to do that, since the code only affects the user's browser.
Sep 22, 2009 9:59 PM

Jul 2009
I already got the script before you people did, ha-ha. I'm on the down-low.

Also, try ignoring a mod like boursk!

you get a cool warning.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Sep 22, 2009 11:48 PM

Nov 2007
ilu <3
Sep 22, 2009 11:49 PM

Jun 2007
Rewtle said:
Thank you.
Now I just have to wait and find out who to use it on.

?_? || Mo <3: squrrriles kidnapped her let's eat theree nuts || ♪♫♪
Sep 23, 2009 1:32 AM

Jun 2008
Only thing I don't like about this is that I'll probably be blocked and i'll be talking to people and not even know they can't see me :[
Sep 23, 2009 2:43 AM

Oct 2007
StrangeBlackCat said:
Only thing I don't like about this is that I'll probably be blocked and i'll be talking to people and not even know they can't see me :[
That's the point.
Sep 23, 2009 2:50 AM

Jun 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
StrangeBlackCat said:
That's the point.

Yeah i know the point is them not seeing me but I don't KNOW if they can't

I'll just have to leave it up to common courtesy and hope they tell me that I am blocked that way I don't spend time talking to someone who can't even see.
Sep 23, 2009 3:51 AM

Nov 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Yeah about this asandari, if you can manage it you might want to try to rig up some sort of notification system, so at the very least people won't just be talking to dead air.

I think this defies the point of ignoring people. It's best to just put them on ignore and never heed their existence at all, as opposed to politely informing them they're ignored so they can spew shit at you and troll your threads without you reporting them.
Sep 23, 2009 4:05 AM

Jun 2008

Asako said:
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Yeah about this asandari, if you can manage it you might want to try to rig up some sort of notification system, so at the very least people won't just be talking to dead air.

I think this defies the point of ignoring people. It's best to just put them on ignore and never heed their existence at all, as opposed to politely informing them they're ignored so they can spew shit at you and troll your threads without you reporting them.

No one gets that serious on MAL though...at least as far as I have seen.

sure they might post a thing or two but there isn't a user who will go as far as that.

at least not yet.
Sep 23, 2009 4:10 AM

Mar 2009
Asako said:
ShadowbladeEdge said:

I think thats ruder than any troll could ever be.
Sep 23, 2009 5:00 AM

Jun 2008
NEVER-BEND-HER said:
Asako said:
ShadowbladeEdge said:

She's currently ignoring you. Oh boy.

But anyways, it works wonder when ignoring a troll, who constantly spills out troll content. In most cases you don't have to ignore anyone really. People ignoring you is just the same as they reading your post, but never post anything afterwards, even if it's a reply to them. That happens all the time anyways. On MAL, or anywhere else. This program merely allows the "ignorer" to not have to face reading shitty posts. Rather than reading them, and consciously ignore them. Now unconscious ignorance is the ultimate bliss of all.
Sep 23, 2009 5:01 AM

Jul 2007
NEVER-BEND-HER said:
Asako said:
ShadowbladeEdge said:

Actually, to a lot of people, it isn't.

ShadowbladeEdge said:
StrangeBlackCat said:
Yeah i know the point is them not seeing me but I don't KNOW if they can't

I'll just have to leave it up to common courtesy and hope they tell me that I am blocked that way I don't spend time talking to someone who can't even see.

I'll see if I can add something that notifies you if a user you have ignored has mentioned your UN in their post. As for notifying someone that they have been ignored by a user... that's opening the door for harassment, so it won't happen. (And yes, people will go that far on MAL, I deal with it every day. Also inb4 slayer999.)

Edit: Not to mention the initial privacy concerns I had over storing blacklists online, which would be necessary in order to notify someone if they've been ignored. (Unless I wanted to do it in a significantly annoying way, such as sending a PM on behalf of the user doing the ignoring, but that's even worse. Especially for the many people who will not know of the existence of this script.)
asandariSep 23, 2009 5:08 AM
Sep 23, 2009 5:27 AM

Mar 2009
I will not use this even though it is good idea. For me even a troll post has merit.

My main reason for this is because through the years of interent and trolls who have spoken to me and said things that upset me I simply learned to deflect thier words whatever they might consist of. If I had ignored them then I would still be getting hurt when people say hurtful things in RL, unfortunatly there no ignore funtion in RL and people can be just as bad if not worse.

So even though I think it amazing that asandri can creat such a tool I opt to not use it.

Also this doesn't take into account people who set up a troll account to post one picture of somthing like TUBGIRL or random things in threads.

But at the same time i think a bubble of freinds would be good as well.
Sep 23, 2009 6:21 AM

Jul 2007
NEVER-BEND-HER said:

Also this doesn't take into account people who set up a troll account to post one picture of somthing like TUBGIRL or random things in threads.

There is nothing that can be done about those besides banning. Report such accounts so that they can be handled by mods.

Also, considering notifying the user if someone replies to you, this will only be added as an optional feature when the control panel is introduced. Though I see a legitimate use case from ignored users, I can see a legitimate use case from the users who are doing the ignoring.
Sep 23, 2009 6:39 AM

Mar 2009
asandari said:
NEVER-BEND-HER said:

There is nothing that can be done about those besides banning. Report such accounts so that they can be handled by mods.

Also, considering notifying the user if someone replies to you, this will only be added as an optional feature when the control panel is introduced. Though I see a legitimate use case from ignored users, I can see a legitimate use case from the users who are doing the ignoring.

I think notifying a user of a post from a blocked user negates the pupose of such a function.

I think the main function is to obviouly clean the boards for your use. I am wondering though if there was some was of adding a notify of blokage by user. I dont know how it might work but perhaps somthing like a status int the users colum where it tells the blacked user they are blocked.

USER *has blocked you said:

^or somthing simular perhaps in you avavtar box etc.

I think this would clarify things better but im not sure how it might or if it could be done. This would work for me.

so at least when you are in a topic and you see the users you know which ones have blocked you and which hae not so you can augment you replys.
Sep 23, 2009 7:06 AM

Nov 2007
NEVER-BEND-HER said:

I think this would clarify things better but im not sure how it might or if it could be done. This would work for me.

so at least when you are in a topic and you see the users you know which ones have blocked you and which hae not so you can augment you replys.

Would only work if everybody involved has the script. And I still don't think it's a good idea. If I were to block people (I don't, personally) I don't want them knowing because it's likely to lead to harassment the script can't cover, such as comments, PMs and other annoyances.
Sep 23, 2009 7:09 AM

Jun 2008
The average block tool that MAL already has could handle those.
Sep 23, 2009 7:36 AM

Mar 2009
Asako said:
NEVER-BEND-HER said:

Would only work if everybody involved has the script. And I still don't think it's a good idea. If I were to block people (I don't, personally) I don't want them knowing because it's likely to lead to harassment the script can't cover, such as comments, PMs and other annoyances.
StrangeBlackCat said:
The average block tool that MAL already has could handle those.

yes MALS profile block deals with that issue, this is dealing with reduction of forum abuse and trolling.

But I do see the flaw in this of that unless veryone uses it it wont work. none the less for those who will be using it it's best to make sure you maximise the tool to it's optimum efficancy or there no point in having it.

there is basically no need for everyone to use it. if a user makes use of this and blocks another user then basically whenver that user logs on he will see that he's been blocked even if he doesnt use the add on just like with the compatibility add on user who dont use it can still see the effect in a quote im sure theres an ability for notification of status even if other user dont use it. but this basically give each user that has the ad on the abity to balck so it is a good idea. it is primarly for the user to block people. the notification feature is a curtesy.
SandraudigaSep 23, 2009 7:41 AM
Sep 23, 2009 9:12 AM

Jul 2007
This is not going to happen.
I will not allow the blocked user to be notified when specific users have blocked them. Why? Because this is the door to harassment both within and outside of the site. It is the door to ridiculous drama bullshit, like when some 14 year old is ignored and gets mad, he decides to PM all of his friends and tell them how much of a bitch the user who ignored him is. I know that the very creation of this script will cause some of this bull, however when I decided to write it I felt that the benefits of the script would outweigh the costs. This is not the case for notifying users when they are ignored.

Though I can see why this might be desirable for users who would rather not waste their time replying to others, but I think this would be reasonably rare and fairly insignificant anyways. I also think that it may be less likely than users not wanting to know when they are ignored; which in itself is something depressing to some. So naturally, this script will not force anything upon users who do not install it.

Furthermore, I'm sure that any reasonable person would not be getting ignored under reasonable consideration. And, as the script offers the ability to expand quotes or posts, it can be used responsibly. If you are a reasonable person who users don't wish were banned anyways, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Unless you really want to communicate with users who are unreasonable. But hey, you can also do that through PM or comments, if it's really important. If it's not important, than hopefully you haven't written 300+ words specifically meant for one person on a, practically, public forum.

You're right that notification that someone has used your username in an ignored post some-what defeats the purpose. But that's why it would be opt in, should I choose to implement it at all.

Also, for concerned users, I am still working on compatibility with the gender script. Though I still can't seem to find the issue in their code, as it looks like the selectors should still be effective.
Sep 24, 2009 4:54 PM

Apr 2008
Excellent. Now I can ignore users with fewer post counts than me.

Sep 24, 2009 5:13 PM

Jul 2009
Saitoe said:
Excellent. Now I can ignore users with fewer post counts than me.

Nikoli said:

Intended Audience:

Gender Female

I think we have our winrar right here :)
Nov 21, 2012 12:09 AM

Jun 2009
This is fucking awesome. Thank you very much!

You can also use the script in Chrome by downloading Tampermonkey.
Nov 22, 2012 1:22 AM

Feb 2012
thanks for this, well done
Apr 13, 2014 2:57 PM

Jun 2008
Sorry for the necrobump, but the script somehow just stopped working properly. Instead of collapsing an ignored user's posts, it makes it so that every posts in a thread disappear.

Here's an example:

http://i61.tinypic.com/nm0yti.jpg

I'm pretty sure there was at least 5 different people talking there and I only ignored 2. Also, you see that last post, #178? That's supposed to be me. Why would I ignore myself, seriously? And when I try to unignore somebody, it unignores everyone.

Help?
Apr 25, 2014 6:40 PM

Jul 2007
Hey, sorry for the late reply. It looks like mal changed the forum format a bit which broke the script. I've updated it. If you have trouble with the install link on userscripts you can use this:
http://irc.tmj.im/images/IgnoreMALUser.user.js

Since I almost never login anymore, it's probably best to contact me through irc. I'm on Rizon 24/7 so you can pm me there. Alternatively, leave me a comment on my profile. Might take a couple weeks but I'm more likely to see it than PMs.

I usually respond to irc within 24 hours, so that would probably be the best option. You can get on rizon easily by using this link:
http://myanimelist.net/irc/
And contact me by typing /msg Asandari <A description of the problem> in the chat box. Give it at least half an hour. If I take too long you can always leave me your username and I'll pm you on the site.
asandariApr 25, 2014 6:44 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - 10 hours ago

4 by Kinspie13 »»
8 hours ago

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
9 hours ago

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

19 by loligoth666 »»
Yesterday, 9:23 AM

» Show us your latest sketch or drawing v.2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Feb 21, 2017

1629 by loligoth666 »»
Yesterday, 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.