Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 4, 2009 11:24 AM

Feb 2009
No discussional value exist. All dubs suck. I managed to watch almost the entire first episode of Cowboy bebop dubbed before I had to switch to jap original before any severe trauma to my brain occured.
Jun 7, 2009 4:39 PM

Jun 2009
There is no question or exception in my mind. For me, the English dub beat out the Japanese one. I watched the series in both, and I really feel like the English VAs captured the true emotions much better and more naturally. They sound like that's exactly what the characters would sound like if they were real.

Spike sounded much more laid back and snarky. Faye sounds SO much more believable with a lower-pitched voice. Jet sounds gruffer and it really works. The only one that I thought sounded right in both ENG and JAP was Ed, because they're both silly sounding and light-hearted. That's not saying that the Japanese VAs didn't do a good job, but the English VAs were the best.
Jun 9, 2009 2:30 AM

Feb 2009
I'm torrenting the dual language version atm, let's see how good the english dubs are :3. I'm pretty fond of dubs myself. (i'd buy it, but I'm saving for a lot of stuff right now and I've contributed plenty of my cash to the industry already)
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...
Jun 9, 2009 2:32 AM

May 2008
I first watched in dub. Being in TV and such. And it was one of the better dubs I had heard and enjoyed it that way.

Now that I've gone back and watched in on the internet, I chose to watch it in Japanese.
It was even better. I honestly wouldn't go back now, and prefer the Japanese.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jun 9, 2009 3:10 AM

Oct 2008
Credulous said:
No discussional value exist. All dubs suck. I managed to watch almost the entire first episode of Cowboy bebop dubbed before I had to switch to jap original before any severe trauma to my brain occured.
don't be so ignorant. saying such a thing is basically ruling out all dubbers as being talentless, which is one of the most retarded things I've heard.

Cowboy Bebop has an excellent dub, largely thanks to Steven Blum (played Spike), whose voice was made for playing kickass main male characters (see Mugen and Onizuka).
The thing with Bebop's dub (and a lot of other dubs) that's different to the original Japanese, and I mean different in a good way, is that the VAs voices are generally more memorable. Whether it's because it's the English language, which can be twisted with a lot more than the Japanese language, or because we actually understand what they're saying (rather than simply reading words), I don't know. But the fact remains that there are a few English voice actors, Steve Blum being a prime example in this case, that have very unique and memorable voices. Other examples would be Chris Patton, Liam O'Brien, Wendee Lee. Anyway, you get the point.

I listened to a bit of Bebop in Japanese, and while the other main characters' voices were good, Spike's VA lacked that flare and uniqueness to it that Steve Blum delivered.
Jun 25, 2009 10:11 AM

Jun 2008
The english dub also had a great deal more effort plumbed into the small details; radio static, proper accents for people of different ethnicities, echos booming out inside buildings - they really went to put in the extra mile, which makes watching so much more enjoyable.

When a North Indian actually spoke in a North Indian accent, I came.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jun 25, 2009 12:29 PM

May 2009
Japanese original is always better, but Cowboy Bebop's english dub is particularelly good, compared with most dubbings.
Jun 25, 2009 3:27 PM
Feb 2009
English dubs, personally I didn't really like the original voices. Probably just being used to the dubs though.
Jun 26, 2009 10:18 PM

Jun 2009
DUB is amazing...spikes voice is more stronger in it...in the japanese..he seems laid back to me.
Jul 2, 2009 10:55 AM

Mar 2009
I watched it in both Dub and Sub and I partially prefer the Dubs... The Japanese version didn't seem to have much of an impact on me.
^.^

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FighterZ - May 14, 2008

183 by FunniMonkey69 »»
Yesterday, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 23, 2009

116 by RioFS »»
Yesterday, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 22, 2009

114 by RioFS »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FighterZ - Apr 27, 2008

180 by RioFS »»
Yesterday, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HaiAlwaysHungry - Oct 29, 2008

116 by RioFS »»
Yesterday, 12:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.