Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ace of the Diamond
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 30, 2014 10:35 AM

Feb 2008
Am I the only one who feels that Furuya is lately getting more screentime than Sawamura ? I get it that in most shounen series the rival is a very important character, but he should never overshadow the main character. Furuya is the one getting all the feats, everybody is cheering for him and the show is focusing on his progression, while Sawamura has been degraded to a comic relief character. I really don't like it, I think that Furuya is a very interesting character, but in the end, Sawamura is the reason I am watching this series.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Mar 30, 2014 7:06 PM
Nov 2009
Just keep watching, Sawamura will get his time.
Mar 31, 2014 9:44 AM

Dec 2010
Agreed, it's annoying. I don't want to see Nanase Haruka - sorry Furuya, I want to see Sawamura. So much buildup for Sawamura but he fails every time, it's getting frustrating.
Mar 31, 2014 10:23 AM

Feb 2008
Pknoctis said:
Agreed, it's annoying. I don't want to see Nanase Haruka - sorry Furuya, I want to see Sawamura. So much buildup for Sawamura but he fails every time, it's getting frustrating.

Ha,ha, nice reference there ! Furuya reminds more of Rukawa from Slam Dunk than Haru, though. Yeah, I hope we will get to see more Sawamura action in this match.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Mar 31, 2014 12:20 PM

Aug 2007
SailorKagome said:
Pknoctis said:

Ha,ha, nice reference there ! Furuya reminds more of Rukawa from Slam Dunk than Haru, though. Yeah, I hope we will get to see more Sawamura action in this match.

I don't see Furuya as Rukawa. Furuya is by far not as refined as Rukawa, despite how it looks, Furuya actually doesn't even have so much going for him. Sawamura has much higher potential, but he was never really trained, so it takes a while until you see the fruits of his effort.
Mar 31, 2014 1:37 PM

Dec 2010
SailorKagome said:
Pknoctis said:

Oh, it's because the VA for Furuya is the same guy who voiced Haru.
Apr 1, 2014 3:19 AM

Nov 2009
Yes, yes, yes, I've been having the "too much Furuya" feeling for a while now, both in the anime and in the manga.Too much, indeed.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Apr 7, 2014 4:34 AM

Sep 2008
YES! Yes!
I know series give "realistic vibe",
but this is really annoying...
and kinda boring...

I don't want wait 100+ episodes before Sawamura will get a chance to shine... -.-
Apr 19, 2014 6:13 PM
Jun 2011
LittleStar said:
YES! Yes!
I know series give "realistic vibe",
but this is really annoying...
and kinda boring...

I don't want wait 100+ episodes before Sawamura will get a chance to shine... -.-

yea like literally the last episode of the anime would be him being a beast and thats it XD...
also does anyone else think the pace is very slow??
Apr 19, 2014 6:44 PM

Jul 2012
I really like the pacing even if today's recap episode killed it. You guys wouldn't criticize the pacing so much if you marathoned it LOL
Apr 19, 2014 6:57 PM

Aug 2009
Yes there is alot of Furuya, lately but its not as if the whole anime is about him. It only seems like that because watching it every week drags out the episodes much more. So instead of feeling as is you watched 4 episodes with a heavy focus on Furuya you feel as if its been a month since you've seen Eijun.

Eijun is my favorite character btw, you can go to my profile and see that he is in my 'top ten favorite character' list. With that being said, I do not think there is too much Furuya. I think you have a preference and because its not being met, you want to complain. Which is normal, everyone does it. But even though Eijun is the main character he is not the only character in this anime.

Personal opinion: I like that we get to see the other character developments, it lets us have a better understanding of the team and its hardships. As well as allowing us to watch them all grow and improve. More depth if you ask me. But yes that's just my opinion.
lovexLuffyApr 19, 2014 7:21 PM

Apr 19, 2014 9:45 PM

Mar 2008
I'm actually very happy about the spread of attention. Baseball is a team game, Seido is a strong team, and it would be major disservice as well as a (somewhat irritating) writing convenience for the whole show/team to be carried by Sawamura alone who has been shown to be less-than-an-ace at the moment.

If you guys really want your main character throwing all the pitches, go watch Major: the gorogoroshow.
Apr 20, 2014 12:06 PM
Feb 2008
Ckan said:
If you guys really want your main character throwing all the pitches, go watch Major: the gorogoroshow.

That's what I was going to say. I'm really happy this is not another Major.
Apr 20, 2014 2:38 PM

Dec 2010
its not that it has to much of furuya its just that he is a boring character i dont hate him but he is not on my top list. i dont only watch this for sawamura but of all the characters he is my favourite for sure.furuya gets things too easy is so frustrating eg if sawamura pitches good they would say its just a fluke.but for furuya is like hes so special everyone acknowledge him even if he cant even field good.he irritates me sometimes, like when he tries to steal sawamura tyre haha i find myself yelling at the computer screen dude get your own.i mean he already gets to pitch in the line up can sawamura at least get a tyre haha
Apr 20, 2014 3:02 PM
Jan 2014
yh ive been feeling that sawamura has not been getting the spotlight in comparison to furuya, thats why i was looking forward to the new episode but then it was a recap. SMH
Apr 24, 2014 8:59 AM
Oct 2013
don't worry. i think seidou ace after tanba will not furuya, but sawamura.

but i think, the anime itself will not that far. except there will be second season..
Apr 26, 2014 7:17 PM

Jun 2012
Yeah, I've been getting that same feeling. It really does feel like he turned into a comic relief character. Hopefully, Sawamura will take over until Tanba comes back.

SailorKagome said:
Furuya reminds me more of Rukawa from Slam Dunk.
Yeah same here; I just started watching slam dunk this week and I instantly thought of Furuya when I saw Rukawa.
Apr 27, 2014 12:56 AM

Jun 2007
I like the balance. Furuya and Sawamura are different kinds of flawed pitchers, and the competing dynamics where they're contantly at each other's throats but the coach has to use them to win games while Tanba's hurt. It sort of reminds me of Giant Killing, where there's a focus on the management as well as the actual gameplay portion.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 27, 2014 12:56 AM

Jun 2007
I like the balance. Furuya and Sawamura are different kinds of flawed pitchers, and the competing dynamics where they're contantly at each other's throats but the coach has to use them to win games while Tanba's hurt. It sort of reminds me of Giant Killing, where there's a focus on the management as well as the actual gameplay portion.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
May 3, 2014 12:47 PM

Oct 2012
The amount of time it is taking to see major progress in Eijun's game doesn't help either.
May 3, 2014 7:03 PM

Apr 2014
I agree with the majority here... I'm getting bored of Furuya.
Usually, I tend to like the character who is the 'best' which in this case would be Furuya compared to Eijun, but Furuya is boring to me.
It's like... though his skills improve, his personality doesn't change. It feels like Furuya is a very flat character, frankly.
Aug 17, 2014 9:52 PM

Mar 2008
I hope it continues this way :)
The less there is of Sawamura, the happier I'll be~
Aug 18, 2014 2:11 AM
Nov 2013
I've read the manga, so it contains spoilers:
Aug 30, 2014 10:30 PM

Mar 2013
Raiyden said:
I've read the manga, so it contains spoilers:

Yeah Sawamura doesn't get in the spotlight until like after chapter 300+ but after that is when he shines and the roles switch with Furuya :P... Too bad the anime might not get that far unless it gets extended again.
Oct 19, 2014 3:10 AM

Sep 2008
Sawamura will get a chance to fight vs Inashiro?
Please, spoil me with that info!
How many episodes I will have to wait to see him shine in that game? *.*
Oct 19, 2014 5:19 AM

Sep 2014
remember me for centuries;
Oct 19, 2014 5:34 AM

Sep 2008
dandelionlost said:

Thanks!

Kinda get pissed with all this Furuya fest -.-
Oct 19, 2014 11:45 AM

Mar 2012
Everyone is saying the same, just wait, we have seen pretty good Sawamura scenes and we will have more for sure.
Feb 11, 2015 2:11 AM

Jun 2011
I actually want to see more Miyuki and Harucchi (and Tetsuya)
Feb 11, 2015 4:10 AM
Jul 2013
I feel like this helps us as viewers into Sawamura's position.

Obviously he wants to play and it's frustrating watching Furuya get all the hype and attention while Sawamura sits on the bench, just as it's frustrating for us to not see Sawamura pitch enough.

I personally like how they focus on the team as a whole moreso than Sawamura solely, though. Most sports animes aren't like this so it's really nice.
Mar 8, 2015 12:30 AM

Jun 2014
Substance59 said:
I feel like this helps us as viewers into Sawamura's position.

Obviously he wants to play and it's frustrating watching Furuya get all the hype and attention while Sawamura sits on the bench, just as it's frustrating for us to not see Sawamura pitch enough.

I personally like how they focus on the team as a whole moreso than Sawamura solely, though. Most sports animes aren't like this so it's really nice.

Honestly, at this point the anime is focusing on Sawamura too much. Sawamura becomes utterly useless for a short period then bounces back. Would be so much less agonizing if we just didn't see him for a short period of time.
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Apr 28, 2015 8:28 PM

Feb 2015
Oh man, I adore Furuya but I agree, it'd help if Sawamura improved a little faster.
May 1, 2015 12:11 PM

May 2010
glad im not the only one feeling like this..its really frustrating >.<
Oct 4, 2017 2:10 AM

Sep 2015
Furuya is boring but good as a player..whatever

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 74 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

34 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2015

59 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 70 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2015

55 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2015

101 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 4:18 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

128 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 17, 10:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.