Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 19, 2014 5:08 AM

Nov 2013
WillyL said:
Werchiel said:
A jRPG is by definition turn-based, unless you are looking for an actionRPG, as for open world ones - frankly most jRPG become open world at a certain point - you usually get a ship or a flying dragon or whatever and you are free to explore the world.
But what exactly did you mean by Skyrim mechanics? Combat? Exploration? Story? It's kinda hard to pick one but of the top of my head the only thing I can say is similair to Skyrim are other games in the TES series. And maybe Gothic. And Risen. Can't really remember much more.

I was on more about the combat mechanics. But I suppose it's true that most JRPG are turn-based.

I honestly can't think of any JRPG's I have played that aren't turn-based except for Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls.

werchiel said:
Oh I was looking for someoen knowledgable as I was trying to get into these for quite some time. Can you tell me which one of those are the best? And every "tale of" is a story of its own right? Or do they share something in common? And what would be the best recommended order of playing?

Tales series are all good and the stories change every time, usually having similar aspects (Main character's friend needs to travel because they are "chosen" or someone has a destiny they have to follow. Also, something like in Tales of Vesperia you have Aer, which is basically a person's life force and in the other games it's called Mana instead or something else.) The point is to give a different experience with every game. I don't think I should just tell you about the actual gameplay/adventuring/item collecting though, go play the games yourself.
Mar 19, 2014 5:42 AM

Jan 2008
If you liked Mana Kheima, why don't you give the Arland trilogy a try? I think Atelier meruru is probably one of the best jrpg I've ever played.

Currently playing escha and logy right now and i must say the alchemy system is really fun and addicting. I find myself doing different kinds of variation of what i call my own ultimate gear all day long lel.

I got most of it prepared already, but first I will finish Atelier Iris then I'll go to the PS3 teritory since I don't physicaly have them yet (the ps3 Atelier games that is) - I'm gonna have to track them online since you can't really buy them where I'm at but I'm positive I will be finishing them this year - I only got a little bit sidetracked by the Stick of Truth but it's taken care of already.

I honestly can't think of any JRPG's I have played that aren't turn-based except for Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls.

DD was made by CAPCOM right? I really liked the combat there but the story was just dull and the characters were like empty shells - all the diferent classes were awesome to test out though.

Tales series are all good and the stories change every time, usually having similar aspects (Main character's friend needs to travel because they are "chosen" or someone has a destiny they have to follow. Also, something like in Tales of Vesperia you have Aer, which is basically a person's life force and in the other games it's called Mana instead or something else.) The point is to give a different experience with every game. I don't think I should just tell you about the actual gameplay/adventuring/item collecting though, go play the games yourself.

Aight' good then I'll just pick one of them at random and go from there. I'm still a little conflicted though - I should finish WA3 today probably so I'll get to start another game on friday and there are so many to choose from I really can't decide which one to go for.

By the way - you guys heard of Septerra Core? It's not a jRPG but it totally plays like one (with the mechanics, combat etc.) and I seem to have a weird liking to it - I used to play it way back and I still have some really good memories about it.
Mar 19, 2014 5:48 AM

Nov 2013
Also, try playing Dragon Age: Origins if you haven't yet. It's a WRPG, but it's really a fantastic game with so much to do and so many differences with the story depending on the classes/races or the types of decisions you make whether they are good or bad. I think back to that game now and I wish I could play it for the first time again lol...
Mar 19, 2014 6:31 AM

Jan 2008
Beaten it 3 times so far - yea it's pretty awesome. My most favourite class was that mage class that fought in melee (you had to unlock it in some catacombs). The origin stories were an amazing idea - and how some characters reacted to you depending on them - pretty neat I must say.
It's a shame that DA2 was a dud.
I played a truckload of RPG's in general it's just my jRPG library was never very vast so I decided to improve on it. And yes - RPG's are my favourite type of games. Come to think of it - I haven't played a game other than an RPG for the past 3 or 4 years (if you don't count interactive stories like Heavy Rain or The Last of Us that is).
WerchielMar 19, 2014 6:38 AM
Mar 26, 2014 2:31 AM

Jan 2008
Alright - I finished Wild Arms 3 last week and I have to say towards the end it has become somewhat of a drag, it was good but it tired me.
Then I immediately went for WA4 - and so far it seems better and more fun but we'll see.
I wanted to do an FPS check of Star Ocean Till The End Of Time on my emulator and the game sucked me in - I really enjoy it even though for a Space Opera there isn't that much space in it.
And while I'm at it - my love for the Space genre has been reawakened so I started thinking and I realized there aren't that many games there. Excluding all strategy (homeworld, starmageddon, master of orion) or shooters (Freespace, Wing Commander) I don't really remember many games going into that territory. And yes - I am not looking for either a shooters or a strategy but for an RPG. And from what I can remember:

Star Ocean series - like I said there isn't that much space in it (I heard there's more in Last Hope but it'll have to wait until I get my hands on that one)

Xenosaga - I got 1 episode completed and I will be goin' into the rest pretty soon.

Mass Effect - yeah I just had to mention it ^^

I'm not mentioning any Star Wars/Trek titles for obvious reasons.

So do you know of any Space RPGs you can recommend? It can be for whatever console there is (with the excepion of WII and XB1) or PC.

edit: I just remembered there was a game called Advent Rising - more of a TPS than an RPG but it was fine, only problem as I remember it was supposed to be a trilogy (in a sense like ME is) but it got scraped after the first one.
WerchielMar 26, 2014 3:37 AM
Mar 28, 2014 10:27 PM

Jun 2010
Werchiel said:

So do you know of any Space RPGs you can recommend? It can be for whatever console there is (with the excepion of WII and XB1) or PC.

How about this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9GjltpObQ

there's a lot of sequels to the game too if your interested.
Mar 29, 2014 12:58 AM

Dec 2013
I just found out that there's an JRPG tag in steam. Makes searching for them a lot easier :)
Mar 29, 2014 3:43 AM

Jun 2011
Werchiel said:

Phantasy Star IV, if you don't mind older games. You can play it in a Sega Genesis emulator.
Mar 31, 2014 4:05 AM

Oct 2009
Narmy said:
Werchiel said:

Phantasy Star IV, if you don't mind older games. You can play it in a Sega Genesis emulator.

Why not Phantasy Star Universe instead?
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 31, 2014 5:56 AM
Jul 2009
Werchiel said:

Oh I was looking for someoen knowledgable as I was trying to get into these for quite some time. Can you tell me which one of those are the best? And every "tale of" is a story of its own right? Or do they share something in common? And what would be the best recommended order of playing?

Yup, every "Tales of" is a story on its own there are some things that they have in common but not much(mostly names and in-game terms like in FF). I noticed you've already played a lot of jrpgs ignoring the usual cliche in most jrpg story you can still enjoy the story of Tales of games. Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, the Abyss, and Graces are my favorite ones (personally you can avoid Tales of the Tempest). The order of playing; it's up to you I guess but I recommend starting with the first one. There are some of them that didn't come out on the west so your best bet is to find a translated script or patch(unless you can read japanese). So if you do decide playing have fun. :D

No music, no life. Know music, know life. Thomas Carlyle
Mar 31, 2014 5:57 AM
Jul 2009
Anon1409 said:
I just found out that there's an JRPG tag in steam. Makes searching for them a lot easier :)

I did not know that. XD

No music, no life. Know music, know life. Thomas Carlyle
Mar 31, 2014 8:02 PM

Jul 2013
Love all the Shin Megami Tensei games not just the Persona series. Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga were probably my favorites aside from Persona. Final Fantasy 6 is probably my favorite JRPG followed by Star Ocean and Tales of Graces.
Mar 31, 2014 8:19 PM

Jun 2011
azzuRe said:
Narmy said:
Werchiel said:

Why not Phantasy Star Universe instead?

Because it's terrible in comparison.
Apr 1, 2014 12:16 AM
Jun 2009
Decide said:
WillyL said:
Werchiel said:
A jRPG is by definition turn-based, unless you are looking for an actionRPG, as for open world ones - frankly most jRPG become open world at a certain point - you usually get a ship or a flying dragon or whatever and you are free to explore the world.
But what exactly did you mean by Skyrim mechanics? Combat? Exploration? Story? It's kinda hard to pick one but of the top of my head the only thing I can say is similair to Skyrim are other games in the TES series. And maybe Gothic. And Risen. Can't really remember much more.

I was on more about the combat mechanics. But I suppose it's true that most JRPG are turn-based.

werchiel said:

I've only played Eternia and part of Destiny, but doesn't the rest of the Tales series have real time combat? Among those I've played I'd count FFXII, Vagrant Story and Sudeki even if it isn't technically Japanese.
Apr 1, 2014 2:05 AM

Jan 2008
ow about this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9GjltpObQ

there's a lot of sequels to the game too if your interested.

I was actually looking to play this one but I didn't even realize it's a space opera. All the more reason to play it.

I don't use steam - and probably never will ;P

Yup, every "Tales of" is a story on its own there are some things that they have in common but not much(mostly names and in-game terms like in FF). I noticed you've already played a lot of jrpgs ignoring the usual cliche in most jrpg story you can still enjoy the story of Tales of games. Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, the Abyss, and Graces are my favorite ones (personally you can avoid Tales of the Tempest). The order of playing; it's up to you I guess but I recommend starting with the first one. There are some of them that didn't come out on the west so your best bet is to find a translated script or patch(unless you can read japanese). So if you do decide playing have fun. :D

Hey thanks for the insight :D And yeah I will definetly play them eventually.

Love all the Shin Megami Tensei games not just the Persona series. Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga were probably my favorites aside from Persona. Final Fantasy 6 is probably my favorite JRPG followed by Star Ocean and Tales of Graces.

Yes I especially enjoyed Nocturne - a great game but digital devil saga had something too - this very thick atmosphere of danger and yet curiosity. At least that's how it felt to me. It was pretty hard now that I think of it. But it's been quite a while since I played it.

I've only played Eternia and part of Destiny, but doesn't the rest of the Tales series have real time combat? Among those I've played I'd count FFXII, Vagrant Story and Sudeki even if it isn't technically Japanese.

Well that's a big difference - I technicaly preffer turn-based combat altough I do not mind real-time (Star Ocean).
And thanks for mentioning Sudeki - I played this game to death many times. I didn't mention it since I don't consider it a jRPG but I totaly love this game. Yes - it has a lot of flaws and the ending is just... meh. But still - I like the characters (most times anyway) I like the two-world concept and I really really really like the combat system with the standard weak/strong attacks that you can join into like 7 different combinations (some deal additional damage, some stun, some have knockup and so on) and when you are using your skills (which have some really pretty animations) the time slows down allowing you to aim and execute your skill. Ah I would so much like to go back to this game but aparently my current GPU can not and will not run it - all I have left are memories until I can get my hands on a machine that will.

News Flash - Star Ocean 3 finished and I got a little dissapointed towards the end. Spoilers about my opinion about the ending

Still, I really enjoyed the game itself - combat was fun even though - again - it can be very easily broken what happened when I realize I could refine +500 atack bonuses almost infinetly. I don't even know if there is a cap on that but I just kept adding more and more until I just said - stop, this is stupid - and I had like 6 or 7 +500 att bonuses which effectively brake your combat so I just bought a different weapon - killing everything in 1 skill isn't very fun after all.
I tried biting a little into Eternal Mana - the humour in this series is something I love, and Wild Arms 4.
As for WA4 I must say I'm like 4 or 5 hours into the game and the dialogue is just killing me - constant bitchin' about "I'm an adult, you're a kid", "I'm no kid, I'm an adult!" - please stop T_T At least Raquel is awesome - any 19y/o girl with a frickin claymore that slashes a bear in half is awesome. Period.
Apr 1, 2014 8:24 AM

Feb 2010
After starting my first Tales game a couple of weeks ago I've decided to spend the next 2 years playing through at least 3 of them before I switch to the Dragonquest or Monster Hunter Franchise.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 1, 2014 9:57 AM

Oct 2009
Trisection said:

Ah, yes. However Vagrant Story and FFXII is more like Parasite Eve and Dragons Age Origins, it's a pause-able real time combat. A real time combat would be like Legend of Mana, Y's series, and Shining Force series.

Werchiel said:

Still, I really enjoyed the game itself - combat was fun even though - again - it can be very easily broken what happened when I realize I could refine +500 atack bonuses almost infinetly. I don't even know if there is a cap on that but I just kept adding more and more until I just said - stop, this is stupid - and I had like 6 or 7 +500 att bonuses which effectively brake your combat so I just bought a different weapon - killing everything in 1 skill isn't very fun after all.

It's not broken, you should try the cave of trials. It's insane.
azzuReApr 1, 2014 10:01 AM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 1, 2014 12:44 PM

Oct 2010
I've finished Persona 3 and 4 last month... I was ill and I had time to spent, so why not? haha
I have to agree with what you said about it, the battle system is pretty fun! For me, Persona 3 had a better battle system than 4, mostly because the enemies on P4 felt very gimmick(being weak to one element and repelling everything else), making it less fun, imo. The social link was the feature I loved the most on these persona games, I always want to immerse myself in the games I play, so I had lots of fun spending time with the people in there. Heck, even talking to the random NPCs and listening to the development on their stories where hella fun.

I have some PS1 rpgs to play, like Thousand Arms, Xenoblade and Chrono Cross. All I need is time to play them~

I've been spending some time looking at games on Kickstarter, and I found some very interesting RPGs there. The ones I'm excited the most are: Celestian Tales: Old North and Earthlock: Festival of Magic. Both really interesting turn-based rpgs that I'd love to play in the future.. The former have met its goal, but Earthlock definitely need some support..

Anyone have PS1/PS2 games to recommend that weren't mentioned in the OP? Besides Persona3/4, I've only played Kingdom Hearts and 'Tales of' games, and all I have here is Star Ocean to be played...
SmosismApr 1, 2014 12:50 PM
Apr 1, 2014 11:58 PM

Jan 2008
Ah, yes. However Vagrant Story and FFXII is more like Parasite Eve and Dragons Age Origins, it's a pause-able real time combat. A real time combat would be like Legend of Mana, Y's series, and Shining Force series.

That reminds me I still have to finish Vagrant Story ;O

cantius said:
Wasabi said:
Xenosaga 2 is the worst one of the trilogy.

Not really but its ending is worth watching.

I feel tempted to start it this weekend or else I'm gonna forget what happened in the first one eventually and will have to replay it. Knowing me I'll probably put it of for a while still.

It's not broken, you should try the cave of trials. It's insane.

That's post game like sphere 211 floors 100+ right? Well the problem is I should have played it on my console (had it worked) because my emu for some reason did not create the clear game data - I still got a save before the final boss so maybe I'll figure it out and try those bonus dungeons - I'm in no rush to do it right now though.

I've finished Persona 3 and 4 last month... I was ill and I had time to spent, so why not?

Funny - the first time I played P4 and finished P3 was also when I was staying home sick ^^

The social link was the feature I loved the most on these persona games

That's what makes them unique - not many games include something like that. Some have a hidden value that determines what happens or what ending you get but that's it. In Persona those socail actions actually are important to the plot and gameplay elements which is awesome.

Heck, even talking to the random NPCs and listening to the development on their stories where hella fun.

You should really play SO3 then - in a number of situations you have to literaly talk to EVERYONE in order to progress through the plot.

like Thousand Arms, Xenoblade and Chrono Cross.

From the Xeno series on the psx there's Xenogears. Xenoblade was released for the Wii.
Everytime someone mentions Chrono Cross I just shiver. I really like this game and yet I haven't been able to finish it forever now - first time I played it was like 5 or 6y ago and everytime something happens. First time my console broke, then I switched to PC and when I was like 6 hours into the game - my graphics card burned. Then another time I had to format my disc and I forgot to make a backup. It's just a curse - but I will finish it eventually (just the ammount of characters to recruit somehow scares me).

I've been spending some time looking at games on Kickstarter, and I found some very interesting RPGs there. The ones I'm excited the most are: Celestian Tales: Old North and Earthlock: Festival of Magic. Both really interesting turn-based rpgs that I'd love to play in the future.. The former have met its goal, but Earthlock definitely need some support..

Thanks for that! :D I'll keep an eye for them.

You played both Kingdom Heart games? I'm not sure if it was mentioned (probably but I'm not sure if you checked the entire thread) - but if you like really nice aesthetic - try Okami. Or maybe delve deeper into the Megaten universe - for example with Nocturne.

PS.
This
(approx. $1250 USD) HALLOWED ♦ Become a noble in the Old North! ♦ Have your own personal House Sigil ♦ In-game castle or estate where you and your subjects reside ♦ Star in a three decades-long side quest designed together with us ♦ Your name credited as "Executive Producer" both in-game and on the Art Book ♦ Includes Venerated tier rewards.

Is like the most awesome reward on kickstarter that you can get - I mean, my own character in the game with it's own house sigil and a long quest spanning three decades? F YEAH! Nevermind that I could never afford it but just that idea is great.
And just look at the graphics - they are gorgous. I miss the times when hand-drawn backgrounds were in place. It's like walking on top of a painting. I'm so hyped for this game right now.
WerchielApr 2, 2014 1:19 AM
Apr 13, 2014 7:47 AM

Jan 2008
I picked up Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana this time and oh man it only convinced me of how the Atelier series is awesome. I've been readin on in and I heard there are mixed feelings depending on a specific part but I truly love every single game of the series I pick up. Granted. the combat isn't very satisfying and the plot can be described with one word - meh. BUT! The synthesis system gives me an enourmous ammount of fun - I'm pretty sure I spend like 50% of time just doing the alchemy - and the "flavour text" attached to every discovery that deepends your relations to a person is what I'm really playing it for. And the humour - I never ever had so much fun out of jokes made in an jRPG - maybe because japaneese sense of humour is way different from mine (european) but in this series I find myself laughing my ass of quite a lot. And to think I only have 6 games left to play (on the ps3, last one of which is not out yet) - it would seem I totaly sank inti this for good.
Are there any other games like this? I presume I will be done with all of the games of the Atelier series by the end of this year so I better start looking for something more already.
Apr 13, 2014 7:49 AM

Jan 2013
JRPG has nothing to do with gameplay.

It's just an RPG made by a Japanese studio.
Apr 14, 2014 12:36 AM

Jan 2008

It has a distinct style. It would be hard to find someone who is unable to tell a difference between a jRPG and let's say a game from Bioware (Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls are different in that regard). They stand out too much. Of course it's an RPG made by a Japenese studio - it even says so in the name of the genre itself. Your point being?

Star Ocean series, the games is insanely long (if you are trying to get a high completion rate, though I still enjoy it.

For comparison it took me:
30 hours to beat SO3
21 hours to beat Ar tonelico
37 hours to beat Mana Khemia

Altough I admit I'm only saying about the main plot (and sidequests/crafting along the way) and not the after endgame bonus dungeons and stuff - these can easily add another 20 hours or so to the game's total.

If you want another game with an alchemy/synthesis element in (if you haven't already played it) you can try Dragon Quest 8. It's not a huge part of it like the Atelier series is, but I personally had some fun with it. It's also a game that you can pour alot of hours into since there's so much to find and explore.

I already got my hands on that one and it's patiently waiting it's turn. Do you happen to know something about other games in that series? Are they worth getting into?
Apr 14, 2014 11:57 PM

Jan 2008
DQ5 actually covers thirty years of the characters life from when he is born, to marriage and having his own family.

That's really cool. Fable tried to pull that off later on but in my opinion it didn't do a very good job. The "marriage" system in Fable is a joke, so it's gonna be interesting for me to see it here. One more reason to play it.

You also have a gameplay mechanic that was later used in the DQ Monsters series where you can have monsters join your party.

Sounds like games in the Megaten universe (P1/P2/Nocturne) - it's nice to play around with that.

I've also played DQ4 and that's split up into chapters and you control a different character with their own story for each until they all join up together within the last chapter.

It reminds me I still have Odin Sphere to play ^^

There's plenty of things to collect in the DQ franchise though and if you have no problem with old school gameplay and style, then you'll probably have fun with them.

To be honest - I prefer older than the new one. Except for The Last of Us and Beyond I haven't even bought any new game in the last year and a half. I will start doing that when I move my Atelier to the ps3 area. Well thanks for the info mate.
Jun 9, 2014 2:06 AM

Jan 2008
Finished Eternal Mana and I must say I did have to force myself to play it towards the end, I really liked the alchemy of course, the characters were "ok" but the combat system is what completely robbed this game of fun for me. Combat was just plain and boring and it made me hurt inside everytime a random encouter popped up. In comparison - Mana Khemia's combat was so fun I could not get enough of it - and it had awesome music.

I picked up Odin's Sphere afterwards. What do I say about this one... The graphics are real pretty but it really sucks that you only have like 6 or 7 locations and all areas within a certain location look the same (except for the final one where you fight the boss), combat is pretty fun especially that you get to try out different fighting styles so it doesn't get boring. What does however is the locations and enemies. You pretty much have to go through the same 6 or 7 locations with every single character (only with a different order) and only some bosses that you fight are different. By the 5th character I was really fed up with having to play through the game again and again. The only thing that saved it was that I got to play as a different character.

I'm playing Dragon Quest VIII right now and so far I'm liking it but it's too early to form any serious statement.
Here's the thing though - which one of the series is the best one? Or which of them are worthy of checking out at all?
Aug 26, 2014 12:30 AM

Jan 2008
I'm gonna revive this topic, maybe someone is gonna take interest even if not I got an update of my games.

So I tried going into the second game in Atelier Iris series but it seems I really didn't feel it since I don't like the combat in this particular serie, I'm putting it of for now but I will probably get back to it someday.

I actually dropped Dragon Quest VIII because it was so bland. The music was uninspiring and the plot just made be disinterested at one point and since I stopped even caring for how the story would end I stopped playing altogether.

I played through Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy and while I still believe the first one to be superior I had tons of fun with it. It's very similair - it has an awesome battle system, some badass music, the same synthesis system that I liked in the first one (well it is modified but I like them both just as much) and kind of interesting plot. The only problem with that plot is that certain "flag events" are really far apart inbetween your daily school activities and it makes them feel disconnected. Also - I didn't like the character roster as much as in the previous one.

And with that chapter closed I turned to Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland and to be honest I am slightly dissapointed. I would still believe Mana Khemia to be superior. I'm not saying I don't like it because I do but the biggest problem I have with this game is the time limit. I hate time trials/racing against time/timed events/whatever you get my point. It's because I like to enjoy my games slowly, exploring and doing everything I want in my pace and insteady of doing that here I have to rush and plan things or else I will fail and not get the ending I want.
That's another thing that bothers me - requirements for endings are ridiculous... I spent like 15 hours working towards the ending I wanted only to later find out that I cannot get Sterks ending while being on a "true" path (you have to be on a "good" path) which pretty much means I just wasted like 3 hours tryin' to raise his affection level. I also do not intend to make multipse saves and get all the endings in 1 playthrough because I consider it cheap and unfair to the game and not enjoyable. When I play through a game I want a complete story with an ending - MY ENDING. The one I worked for, the one I will enjoy is because I see it due to choices I made. And just rushing to see all endings completely strips the game from its identity for me because sudenly I do not look at the game for what it is and I don't enjoy little things along the way but I just think about doing all the things in the right order just to complete my mission of seeing all endings.
That beings said - after I beat the game I may play through it again to get a different ending or when I'm lazy just look it up on youtbue or something. The point is - I consider my first playthrough a closed complete story that I just want to focus on.
That's one more thing I'm not too fond of here - that you have to grind a lot of simple sidequests in order to raise your trust levels - it feels like busywork.
The combat isn't very impresive as well altough the specials are pretty cool (Rorona's is quite funny) but in order to be effective you need to farm ingredients and mix them in a way that will boost your combat abilities and while it is obvious and it happens in all of Atelier games the problem here is that making a simple Ingot that you can forge into a weapon takes an entire day so experimenting is not recommended. It all ties to that time trials which I do not like - I only hope that other games in that series are not time-based.
I like pretty much all characters - my favourite being Sterk and Rorona, and as allways we get Pamela which is awesome (I'm a big fan of her character anyway since the first time I saw her). The only problem I have with the design is that their outfits are so revealing it smells of fanservice from far away. Especially Lionela bugs me as she's supposed to be a shy and timid girl yet just look at her chest - it's just like wow. A minor thing though.
As standard for the series there is humour and I'm having lots of fun with it - one of the big things I love these games for is exactly their humour and it does not dissapoint here.
Another good thing is that there are quite a lot of mini-events that just pop around and they don't make you feel like a zombie and fall asleep while grinding the town's trust levels.
I still haven't finished the game so my opinion might change somewhere along the way but for now I would recommend for people to play it but only if you are either a fan of the series or of alchemy/synthesis/crafting systems. Pretty much all you do the entire game revolves around crafting so if you don't like that you're gonna hate this game.

Atelier Totori should come by mail this week so I'm probably gonna jump straight over there.
Aug 26, 2014 1:30 AM

Jan 2013
And no mention of any game of Fire Emblem. I'm actually disappointed.
Aug 26, 2014 2:25 AM

Jan 2008
That is because I have never heard of them.
From what I can see they are for Nintendo systems and I do not own neither a Wii nor a 3ds or the gamecube.
Aug 26, 2014 10:51 AM

Sep 2007
Werchiel said:
From what I can see they are for Nintendo systems and I do not own neither a Wii nor a 3ds or the gamecube.

Ain't that a shame.
Aug 26, 2014 2:54 PM

Jan 2013
Werchiel said:
Not even a gameboy? You can emulate too dude, it's not that hard. And I'm surprised you never heard of fire emblem.
Aug 27, 2014 2:06 PM

Jan 2008
I'm aware of emulators of course and I do use PS2 emulator but that is only because I do own a PS2 and I am not too fond of useing an emulator without owning a console myself - it makes me feel like I'm hurting the console developer that I love so much. So even if I am going to use an emulator I will first buy the console itself.

Since both of you recomment this series I will surely take a closer look. Thanks for contributing!
Aug 28, 2014 2:23 AM

Jan 2013
Werchiel said:
I'm aware of emulators of course and I do use PS2 emulator but that is only because I do own a PS2 and I am not too fond of useing an emulator without owning a console myself - it makes me feel like I'm hurting the console developer that I love so much. So even if I am going to use an emulator I will first buy the console itself.

Since both of you recomment this series I will surely take a closer look. Thanks for contributing!
Thing is, sales of a previous generation, especially one dating two generations back (GameCube and Gameboy) isn't really going to help nintendo whatsoever since 3DS and WII U sales matter now. If you want to emulate and not feel guilty, get a GameCube and Gameboy emulator and feel free to download every Fire Emblem all the way to Path of Radiance (FE 9). Emulating FE10 and above will require a wii/ds emulator which supposedly hurt the developer. And besides, it's almost impossible to find a Fire Emblem game for sale that isn't Awakening. (Path of Radiance is for sale for almost $200)
Aug 28, 2014 9:29 AM

Jul 2012
How do you feel about the Kingdom Hearts series and the game Digital Devil Saga?
Werchiel said:

FF IX - TOO MUCH FURRY STUFF

Brb, going to play Final Fantasy IX now.

I'd recomend Solatorobo to you but if you don't like FFIX because of that you'd DEFINITELY not like Solatorobo.
Aug 28, 2014 9:50 AM

Mar 2012
Battlechili1 said:
Werchiel said:

FF IX - TOO MUCH FURRY STUFF

Lies. The only furry stuff there are the Burmecians, and they mostly appear only on the last part of the first disc and beginning of the second.
Aug 28, 2014 10:58 AM
Mar 2011
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:

we have the best post of this topic and i fide the trem JRPG racist since ir panits a us vs them idea
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 28, 2014 11:05 AM

Aug 2014
yazio said:
Battlechili1 said:

Lies. The only furry stuff there are the Burmecians, and they mostly appear only on the last part of the first disc and beginning of the second.

And Zidane. But yeah, not a lot.

And also
QuattroVaginasAug 28, 2014 11:10 AM
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 28, 2014 11:42 AM

Mar 2013
You should definitely get Golden Sun + The Lost Age emulators

seriously, two of the best games ever. Dark Dawn is shit though don't get that.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 28, 2014 11:56 AM

Jul 2012
DerpHole said:

I thought they were all pretty good...
Aug 28, 2014 12:08 PM

Mar 2013
Battlechili1 said:
DerpHole said:

I thought they were all pretty good...

Eh might be worth it if you already have a DS and buy it used.

I just don't like it because it's the only reason I bought a DS, yet it ended up being not nearly as good as the previous 2 games.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 30, 2014 9:11 AM

Jan 2008
How do you feel about the Kingdom Hearts series and the game Digital Devil Saga?

I liked both of them. Digital Devil Saga has a pretty thick feeling to it similair to Nocturne, and I really have to be in a mood for it.

I'd recomend Solatorobo to you but if you don't like FFIX because of that you'd DEFINITELY not like Solatorobo.

I will check this out anyway - just because it's similair does not mean I will surely not enjoy it.

Well I didn't even get that far. I do plan on trying to play through this game sometime since I did find it kind of interesting and what you said makes me hopeful about the rest of the game. I think I had a problem with the main protagonist though.

Sadly I do not own a DS, I am planning to buy a DS or a Vita next depending on how many games that can pique my interest will be there.

I started Shadow Hearts Covenant (since I liked Koudelka and the first SH game) just as a test and I really really liked it and I played it for like 6 hours straight so I think I'll finish this one before I continue with Xenosaga. I enjoy the combat system quite a lot even though I didn't think I would since normally I hate timing puzzles - I actually like them here. And fusions are pretty awesome.

I have Atelier Totori to play later and I also ordered two new games - Tales of Xillia and Hyperdimension Neptunia.
Xillia was recommended to me by a friend and I'm looking forward to play it as for Neptunia I allways wanted to give it a try but never had a chance. It was incredibly difficult to find a copy of that game though - there isn't a single copy on any of the stores (online or not) in my country and also none on some of the international gaming store sites - I finally managed to track a copy on Ebay and I have it imported from Canada.
There is also a game called Fairy Fencer F coming out in europe this month and I'm probably going to get that too.
And Star Ocean Last Hope... Geez, there is so much I want to play.

Apart from all that - do you know about any military themed jRPGs? No mechs and no space opera - I'm thinking more like 20th-the beginning of 21st century and I can't recall anything like that (Valkyria Chronicles was really good but that's not really what I'm looking for).
Aug 30, 2014 9:18 AM

Mar 2013
I wish i had a xbox360 to play to Lost Odyssey....that stuff is so bad that actually is majestic
Aug 30, 2014 9:19 AM

Mar 2013
Anyway...I agree with this guy
Sep 3, 2014 1:16 AM

Jan 2008
And here I thought I've seen all of the top 10 rpg games lists in the world (I tend to sweep the net for such lists every couple weeks or so because it allows me to find some hidden gems).
I never even thought of that before but the jRPG lists really needed a list without Square Enix stuff since they pretty much dominate every single one usually.

I have never even heard of Lost Odyssey probably because it's XB exclusive but the story looks really interesting. I'm not gonna buy a console for it... Maybe xbox emulator if I find a good one. I'll just have to track a copy of LO first.
Sep 3, 2014 4:26 AM

Mar 2013
Werchiel said:
And here I thought I've seen all of the top 10 rpg games lists in the world (I tend to sweep the net for such lists every couple weeks or so because it allows me to find some hidden gems).
I never even thought of that before but the jRPG lists really needed a list without Square Enix stuff since they pretty much dominate every single one usually.

I have never even heard of Lost Odyssey probably because it's XB exclusive but the story looks really interesting. I'm not gonna buy a console for it... Maybe xbox emulator if I find a good one. I'll just have to track a copy of LO first.
From what I've seen all the xb360 emu are virus
Sep 3, 2014 4:30 AM

Jun 2013
You should try the SRW series that has been translated. Most of them feature crossovers but you can try the standalone OG series. Z2 has it's menu, items, skills, descriptions and objectives translated only though. You can use a guide to help though with some of the untranslated ones.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2014 4:33 AM

Mar 2013
Schwarzitgiest said:

Is this a joke? It would be great a jrpg about gundam...but not like that
Sep 3, 2014 4:35 AM

Jun 2013
revengerofdeath said:
Schwarzitgiest said:

Well there's more than gundam though. Can you explain your gripe with the game though?
SchwarzitgiestSep 3, 2014 6:14 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2014 6:23 AM

Jun 2013
revengerofdeath said:
Schwarzitgiest said:

Can you explain what you just said because I don't get it.
Sep 3, 2014 7:13 AM

Mar 2013
Schwarzitgiest said:
I don't get it.
Oh, I have just seen that is indeed the official jrpg gundam game....okay.I dont like it
Sep 3, 2014 1:54 PM

Jun 2013
revengerofdeath said:
Schwarzitgiest said:
I don't get it.
Oh, I have just seen that is indeed the official jrpg gundam game....okay.I dont like it
Well there's more than Gundam.
Sep 3, 2014 2:37 PM

Mar 2013
Schwarzitgiest said:
revengerofdeath said:
Well there's more than Gundam.
ridiculously funny
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

523 by lcee_15 »»
46 minutes ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
3 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.