Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 7, 2014 7:52 PM

Feb 2012
The "destined to fight" phrase coming up a lot from Kyubey had me wonder for a while. Can the girls who signed the contract default on the contract, or cancel it at some cost? What is the cost? Or is it revealed what happens if a magical girl chooses to slack off, and fight only when she chooses to (rather than when it is necessary)?

I guess if the topic has not been covered in any of the episodes or the manga, I won't get much information here either. I only saw a few episodes but was too curious; I did a few google searches and couldn't find anything, so chose to ask here.
Mar 8, 2014 4:07 AM

Jul 2010
If it were that easy, then the entirety of the anime would lose all purpose and meaning.

With how much the anime puts an emphasis on the whole "be careful what you wish for" theme and living with your choices and mistakes, I highly doubt . Kyubey would've probably tell them that if it were the case, unless he's fucking with them. It wouldn't benefit Kyubey in any way, either, since his goal is to gather energy from turning magical girls into witches, and he can't do that if girls can just back out of the contract at will.

As for the whole slacking off thing, they made it clear that with every wish, there a curse, meaning that each wish has a consequence to them, and seeing as how their soul gems are also linked to their emotional and mental state, and with most of Kyubey's contracts being young teen/pre-teen girls who are most vulnerable to stress, at some point they're gonna experience something that will cause them to turn into a witch. Also, not killing witches will likely cause great havoc upon their hometown, as they established that familiars who split off from their witches can become witches themselves.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.