Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 4, 2010 11:15 PM

Apr 2009
Evangelion is the only anime for me that teaches many values in life that other anime don't have..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2010 4:31 AM
Jan 2009
Well it deserves the hype and stuff IMO. Best anime ever IMO.
Apr 6, 2010 2:47 AM
Feb 2010
Eva is def not overrated. The biggest issue with the show is that gainax had no money to make the series the way they wanted. The company was basically out of money for episodes 25 and 26, and those episodes are completely skip-able. The first movie was intended to be the end, but again they ran out of money, and didn't end up finishing it until 1997.

For people who are confused, Evangelion has a SHIT TON of symbolism. I would recommend spending about 30 minutes on wikipedia reading about the story of adam and lilith, sephiroths, and early christinan/jewish mythology. Also helps if you look up some of the commentary on certain parts of the series.

Most of the people that have a problem with this series probably do because Hideaki Anno is notorious for changing his mind about shit, and leaving stuff up to the viewer to interpret. A lot of what is being changed in the rebuild is to make the show more accessible to people, as well as hashing out some of the more ambiguous relationships between characters.

Also understand that this show can be interpreted from the standpoint that Hideaki Anno came up with it durring 4 years of depression. So in a way the emotions in the show are a reflection of personal experience.

This is not a show I feel can be fully appreciated without doing a bit of grunt work... I guess there are pro's and cons to that, but I don't recommend this show to anime newbies unless I can explain some stuff about it first.

P.S. The reason I know all this shit about the show is because when I watched it I had a lot questions that needed answering, and for people like me who are wiki addicts, I was able to resolve a lot of what I felt were issues with this show. Anno was trying to do a very difficult thing, and has managed to create what I will consider a timeless masterpiece dispite financial issues, bad show scheduling, ect. This show was set up for failure, yet it managed to (eventually) catapult gainax to one of the top studios.
May 15, 2010 7:00 PM

Aug 2008
I finally watched it and can see why it is important in how it has influenced anime, but the anime itself is seriously over-rated. No wonder my friend wants to sell it.
Jun 12, 2010 4:29 PM

Dec 2009
eva is overrated
Jun 14, 2010 6:43 AM

Apr 2009
dpjdm said:
eva is overrated

Hell no! ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2010 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
[Chris face]Leave Eva alone.[/Chris face]

What can i say about it -best series ever. I've rewatched it and loved it twice more. I fell into philosophical thoughts for 6 hours aftwer watching it first time, the same was after second time.

Cant wait for 3rd and 4th movie, cuz, i'm sure, they'll be mindblowing.

If some1 thinks its overrated - go back to your ecchi anime or w/e you're watching.
LUL
Sep 26, 2010 9:14 PM
Jul 2008
Overrated? Yes. But it still a petty good anime I enjoy many time. Yeah it does get a lot of praise.Wouldn't consider it as the best anime ever. Hell you got to admit it did help people get into anime more.Also Evangelion is one of,those anime I like to watch again and again.
HellobeeSep 26, 2010 9:19 PM
Jan 6, 2011 5:08 AM
Feb 2010
Actually,I really enjoyed the show :D
Jan 13, 2011 7:30 PM

Jun 2010
Best ever? No. One of the best? Yes.
Jan 15, 2011 7:09 PM

Jan 2011
This series lost me somewhere in the middle and I had to force myself to watch it to the end in a state of stupor. As expected, I'm now feeling depressed because I felt like I have taken absolutely nothing out of the entire series. I have yet to watch the EoE movie which is the supposedly "true ending" but I'll need to find the motivation to do that first and I have to say, I'm really lacking the motivation to do that at the moment.

Perhaps I'm just to shallow to understand the "complexities" of this series. Or perhaps it was just poorly directed so the points never came across clearly on the first viewing? Whatever the case, I'm going to have to research around just to attain an acceptable understanding of this series.

Guess this show just wasn't my cup of tea. Sorry, but I have to say I enjoyed shows like Code Geass and Gundam 00 a lot more.

Couldn't help but chuckle at this comment whilst browsing around, trying to understand Eva.

"Agreed Evangelion sucks.

Fortunately, Gainax has apologized for it thoroughly by giving us Gurren-Lagann."
Mar 18, 2011 11:43 AM

Aug 2010
This post is present at NGE forums as well. Many statements here are from "evangelion overrated ??!!" forum at NGE's section.

As a RahXephon fan I feel the need to ask for you guys (fans or non fans of NGE), why do you think NGE is so much superior in comparision to Rah. It would be nice to hear arguments here since looks like most of NGE fans bashes Rah for really stupid reasons, without many convincing arguments to sustain their point of view. Let me explain.
Obs: I am not questioning NGE’s quality, I am not denying its influence or something like that, and I didn’t say it is inferior to Rah either, even if I like Rah more( I’m not crazy, statistically speaking there are like 50 NGE fans per 1 Rah fan). I just want to know why so much hate, since I failed to see where is some concrete reason for so much hate.

Our friend here says:

”PsajdakRahXephon” said:
>>>>>>>>>> NGE

So comes another and says:

Tabris-kun said:
That's fine if you liked Rah better, but Rah certainly isn't as deep and doesn't have as much visual meaning; Rah is merely superficial, while NGE has 4 or 5 levels of depth. Rah is clearly a copy of NGE also.

Really? Do you really think NGE is better than Rah just because you think that the 1st one is deeper than the other?What depht means to you? That's just a poor/ laughable excuse. Saying that show A is better than show B just because is “deeper” isn’t right (Lucky Star, Kon! and most moe comedies are shallow, but hey I know tons of people who prefer these comedies over NGE and Rah). And one more thing, just because NGE entered on the characters mind (psychological) doesn’t mean that is deeper than the others who didn’t enter into the characters mind.

Tabris-kun said:
"NGE" :When I first watched it, I couldn't identify its depth/visual meaning, but I still enjoyed it very much because even on a superficial level it's great IMO.

Couldn't this statement be valid for Rah too? I mean the 1st time you watched NGE you didn't understand everything either, but you understood after rewatching. Yet you say Rah is "shallow" (for me it's implicit you said that) after watching one time (if you rewatch it, maybe you could identify it's depth, don't you think? Or is this valid only and exclusively for NGE?)

Another thing that bothers me is that many Eva fans seems to treat RahXephon fans like some kind of idiots just because they like Rah more. The most common excuse is that we, Rah fans, failed to understand NGE’s plot (that’s so not true). I like NGE and I had no major problems to understand it (maybe a bit, but I looked for some answer on the net, currently rewatching for better understanding) but I think Rah is superior in terms of direction, coherent plotline, cast and mainly ending, not to mention it was more fulfilling than NGE (watched both animes twice, and yes I’ve seen NGE movies, EoE is indeed awesome, I have to rewatch it cause it’s been so long since I’ve seen it), so what? Does that make me mentally inferior to someone who like NGE better? Really when you post something to answer this post, do not treat me like I if I am some kind of jerk. One thing that I learned is that NGE fans tends to despise everything bad that people says about NGE (if someone says that the story sucks, the answer will be on 99,99% of the cases: you are a idiot and didn’t understand the masterpiece brilliant best story ever made by humankind that NGE is or you didn’t like the direction), but when its time to say bad things about Rah, ohh boy EVA fans are excellent on bashing it with their selfish, and often poor, opinions, even if someone says otherwise, no matter what.

@Ezaya: stop trolling on Rah’s forum ok. How can you possibly say that Rah’s story sucks without even finishing it? Your posts on Rah’s forum insulted me, as a Rah’s fan, you know? (“It's impossible to understand Evangelion if you can't figure this [RahXephon] out.”)? You’re still watching Rah and it is far from finishing it!! I’m fine with those which didn’t like Rah cause they think the plot and the cast is boring, with a bad pacing and etc, and I accept that, even because you’re free to think whatever you want, but what I can’t accept is that someone that didn’t even have the decency to finish it could possibly have an formed opinion about the story as a whole. Grow up, really.

Plus, accordingly to MAL stats, something around 60,000 people watched NGE but only 2,150 dropped (3,5% drop rate), but Rah, around 12,000 watched but 1,230 dropped (10,2% drop rate). Wow, huge difference. The reason for that is it is not hard to find someone who gave a 10 for NGE and dropped Rah after a couple of eps, giving it a low score (a 3 or something around that) and tagged as “Fail EVA parody”. What the hell? How can people say Rah failed as a EVA parody after only 3 or 4 eps?! This sounds so stupid 4 me... people should be ashamed of their pathetic attitude.

Another thing is: look for any anime review site on the net. I still haven’t found ANY site that put NGE above Rah. In fact, all sites about anime reviews I visited gave a higher mark to Rah. Of course that doesn’t imply that you have to agree with them, but you do have to see that not only one, but most of the reviews on the net says that is worthy watching Rah, so that means Rah is not just a mere shallow copy, it’s an anime that is great on its own, full of meaning and the story it is complex and well directed (don’t tell me the story of NGE is far superior, I would be rich if I earned a cent everytime someone says this). Example: why does Shinji is the one can pilot EVA? Because the creators want to. Why does Ayato is the one who can pilot Rah? I won’t spoil here, but I can guarantee you that there is an coherent and believable explanation for this. Example 2: What are Angels and where they came from? Who knows… What are Mu and where they came from? It is explained on the middle eps (yeah the explanation for their existence is preety lame, but at least it does have one). What was the purpose of Bahbein foundation, why does Tokyo Jupiter exist, who is Mishima Reika, WTF happened at the ending? My friend, if you don’t know the answers then I can guarantee you that you failed miserably to understand Rah’s story. I have much more examples here but I won’t write it cause I already wrote a lot. If anyone wants to know more, feel free to ask, but don’t believe the majority (Rah it is indeed well written and well directed, but gets preety dismissed for some really annoying reasons).

Overral I am not saying Rah is original, and I didn’t say that Rah is superior (unlike most fans, I do respect people’s opinions; I am not the type of fan that starts saying some bland excuse to justify the reason I prefer an anime over another one; on this case, Rah over NGE). It’s all right not to like Rah, or NGE, all I need is that someone who can answer my questions without using fanboyish statements as an argument (“Ahh is deeper, ahh is more entertaining, ahh because it came first, Rah only copied, ahh because you’re too stupid to understand it blablabla”).

”HooHiraiBunny” said:
And it's ranked #130, for a series well-known like Evangelion it's clearly a bad rank.

Tabris-kun said:
Probably because the vast majority of people who've seen NGE don't understand it.

Bad rank? Nah that’s an ok rank (today the rank is even worse). Just because is well-know that doesn’t mean that is a great anime (not going to give u examples of how many mediocre animes are well-know, but we all know there are a lot of these animes nowadays). There are superior stuff out there IMO. And even more people who’ve seen Rah don’t understand it either (but hey, who cares about Rah, don’t you think? ¬¬)

”Hybrid00” said:
It only sucks if you're to stupid to understand it.

Brilliant argument fanboy.

”Haylias” said:
Typical elitist "you don't understand my anime thats why you don't like it bawww!" bs Eva fan. Honestly, it is good, but it is highly overrated

Tabris-kun said:
Then state why it's overrated in a logical way rather than blurting out your opinion.

Honestly, I don't see the logical way you justified that NGE is better than Rah, Tabris-Kun. All you said is that NGE is more deeper and thats it. Just a poor excuse (read what I wrote at this post).

Psychodrake said:

People who just didn't understand it generally - Thats fine. It'll definitely seem overrated to these people. But the people who know the story will disagree with them.
People who worship the series are just as bad.

I totally agree with you man. I think that this statement is valid for every anime out there.
GuigasApr 28, 2012 8:33 PM
Mar 18, 2011 1:38 PM

Jun 2009
@ Animeguigas

Even though I personally prefer Eva over, well, pretty much every anime I've seen, I still consider Rahxephon to be a very good series in it's own right. I think the similarities between the two are pretty much just on the surface, as the execution and over all plot are very different between the two.

Look, there is no denying that Eva turned out far different from what it was intended to be and it's a fact that Anno's depression was a large part of why the series took it's more psychological turn (of which the series is famous for, I might add) and Rahxephon, from what I remember, had a more consistent plot structure and had arguably more likable leads in the form of Ayato and Haruka when you compare them to, say, Shinji and Asuka.

But, and this becomes way more apparent to me on multiple re-watches of Eva, that the series always focused more on the characters than plot. It's just that this becomes far more apparent in the later half. I'll always argue, though, that the final two episodes of the series just take the overall main theme of "self" and focus on it and only it. Which, to me, was an excellent and interesting idea. Of course, EoE takes all this to a whole other level.

I think, if anything, you've made me realize that I should re-watch Rahxephon at some point. I'll just finish off by saying I really enjoyed the series, even though I've never quite understood the comparisons, and hate, Eva fans always seem to throw at it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 21, 2011 10:43 AM

Jul 2009
My personal opinion on the matter that is currently at hand...

Stop comparing two series. Period. Unless RahXephon is actually an attempt at beating out Eva, even then, I condemn comparing series at all.

Everything is subject to opinion. Every little detail. Example,

7 - Visuals and Setting (Rah easily wins here)

I know it is unfair to make this comparison since NGE is from 1995 and Rah, 2002 (7 years is indeed a huge difference for animation quality), plus Rah was animated by BONES (they are well-know because of their top-notch animation, smooth and clean art and Rah is no exception, it is gorgeous to look.) NGE is outdated by today’s standards.

What if I said that the charm of Eva's older animation quality and style made it more interesting in my eyes? I'm not saying it does, but I could easily and confidently argue that I prefer Eva's style and animation to more modern anime for multiple different reasons. Although there is a reason they're making the re-build movies (Apart from the moniez). Though, I haven't seen RahXephon so I can't really argue it, so I don't want any fans taking my comment as a direct attack at the series as it actually looks quite cool.

When it comes to anime like Eva that HAVE ACTUALLY MADE A BIG IMPACT, people get a little butthurt and just love to call it overrated as though they're some kind of lone wolf rebel with different opinions to everyone else (Surprisingly, Eva gets a lot of flak nowadays). I don't see why people can't just enjoy shows for what is actually good about them instead of turning it into some big popularity contest which honestly, I couldn't care less about.

Although I love discussing anime as much as the next person, even with the odd squabble, it becomes very childish when every show that does well gets put down by people who think their opinion is the one true opinion (Even though there are always tons of haters for high-rated shows).
Mar 25, 2011 3:57 PM

Jan 2011
This anime is so confusing that to this day I still don't think I know everything about it

which is why I love evangelion
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Mar 25, 2011 4:23 PM

Jul 2010
god damn confusing anime xD! last two episodes gave me a headache cos they were so boring. also I remember a part where shinji is in that purple thing and holding this guy (his dad?) and then takes like a whole minute to finally decide to eat his head =.=

and yah, i know theres lots of symbolism and all that and theres meaning and interpretation, but just because its clever, doesnt mean its good. I looked at some meanings on wiki and other sites of poeples interpretation, and ya still boring.

the battles were pretty poor, like there was a huge build up but then the actual battles would end in a couple of minutes. also remember the part where they said that the chances of hitting this diamond like angel with this huge gun would be 0.00000001percent....and yet they were able to kill it anyway =.=!
Mar 30, 2011 8:20 AM

Sep 2010
I don't think its that overrated, isn't because of Evangelion we have figures and a lot of influence from it now.
Heck, I watched it when I was a kid so to me it was like the most amazing thing ever. I don't care about the whole mind fuck either.

Apr 8, 2011 7:04 PM

Mar 2011
Yes this anime is overrated, and this video explains why:

"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Apr 16, 2011 11:17 AM

Jul 2009
JohnShepard said:

Some of us like a little realism in our anime. A 14 year old kid isn't going to be happily doing what the father that doesn't love him wants.

If you watched this and expected some shounen crap where a 10 year old saves the world from the evil adults, then you shouldn't have watched it, simple as.

The mindset of "LOL SHINJI IS ANNOYING - OVERRATED ANIME" is completely ridiculous. I mean (Possible spoiler ahead), look at Madoka, Madoka is useless throughout the whole show and she hasn't been given the same treatment.
Apr 16, 2011 1:00 PM

Jun 2009
Psychodrake said:
JohnShepard said:

Some of us like a little realism in our anime. A 14 year old kid isn't going to be happily doing what the father that doesn't love him wants.

If you watched this and expected some shounen crap where a 10 year old saves the world from the evil adults, then you shouldn't have watched it, simple as.

The mindset of "LOL SHINJI IS ANNOYING - OVERRATED ANIME" is completely ridiculous. I mean (Possible spoiler ahead), look at Madoka, Madoka is useless throughout the whole show and she hasn't been given the same treatment.

I haven't seen Madoka so I can't really comment on her or that particular show but I wonder if people hated on Shinji as much when Eva originally came out? What I mean is, since Madoka is a new series and people looking at it in hypo-vision, maybe a few years down the road some person new to anime will pick up Madoka and complain about the things you mentioned.

But, to me, Shinji is probably one of the best male anime characters I've experienced.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 16, 2011 7:59 PM

Jan 2011
People with a low IQ seem to be the only ones that have a problem with this show.
Apr 17, 2011 8:05 PM
Apr 2011
These days I wouldn't even call it overrated because if anything, the "worship" towards it is cancelled out by all the hate it also seems to get.

I don't really get the animosity towards Shinji either, to be honest. The 14 year old boy...
- loses his mother at a young age
- father abandons him (at a young age)
- get him bullied day in day out
(at this point, thinking no one cares about you is justified)
- said father calls him several years later "lol get in robo and die for ur country"
- school stresses? how about one screw-up and everyone dies and it's all his fault.
- anything he says is pretty much is used against him
(at this point, thinking everyone's out to kill you is justified)

I could probably go on, but to call him "emo" is just plain unrealistic. It's a work of fiction obviously, but still. It avoids being so clichéd.

The ending's not really that confusing, either. You don't "get it" right away, but you just have to actively think about it for a little bit - not something that generic shounen anime generally asks for.

If anything, the show's ending does leave a lot of the plot unanswered, but the movie clears that up; it seemed a bit rushed by episode 26, almost as if all they had for the plot wouldn't be covered with just 26 episodes, but again, in my opinion, the movie compensates for what was left unfinished.

Just a bit of a rant. xD;
Apr 17, 2011 8:25 PM
Mar 2011
No this is Underrated
its one or the select group of anime/manga that tell deeper story then the story you see in front of you
the others like this are Lain and N.H.K. ni Yōkoso and Densha Otoko

i wrote a Thisis aout Eva in Art History class and got an a so yeah
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 18, 2011 10:01 AM

Dec 2008
How can people call this anime overrated it's not even in the top 100 for god sake.
Apr 18, 2011 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
Takeshi-san said:
How can people call this anime overrated it's not even in the top 100 for god sake.

People will generally call anything they dislike overrated. It doesn't matter if it isn't in the top 100, if they dislike it, regardless of general consensus or status, it can't possibly be good.

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 18, 2011 11:04 AM
Apr 2011
Takeshi-san said:

someone on 4chan said:
Top Selling Anime of All Time
1 Name: Anonymous : 2010-02-25 08:19

--------01~10--------
*174,353 Evangelion (1995)
*81,499 Gundam (1979)
*71,363 Bakemonogatari(4巻第1週まで)(2009)
*69,247 Gundam SEED DESTINY (2004)
*58,563 Gundam SEED (2002)
*52,923 Dragon Ball GT (1996)
*52,900 FMA (2003)
*47,671 Code Geass (2006)
*46,081 Macross F (2008)
*45,023 Cowboy Bebop (1998)
--------11~20--------
*41,337 Code Geass R2 (2008)
*41,037 Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)
*40,832 K-ON!(最終巻第1週)(2009)
*40,471 Dragon Ball Z (1989)
*38,349 Nadesico (1996)
*37,570 Gundam 00 (2007)
*37,436~37,441 Future Boy Conan (1978)
*31,696 Gundam W (1995)
*29,146 Lucky Star (2007)
Apr 18, 2011 11:11 AM

Jun 2009
DonkeyKong said:
Takeshi-san said:

someone on 4chan said:
Top Selling Anime of All Time
1 Name: Anonymous : 2010-02-25 08:19

--------01~10--------
*174,353 Evangelion (1995)
*81,499 Gundam (1979)
*71,363 Bakemonogatari(4巻第1週まで)(2009)
*69,247 Gundam SEED DESTINY (2004)
*58,563 Gundam SEED (2002)
*52,923 Dragon Ball GT (1996)
*52,900 FMA (2003)
*47,671 Code Geass (2006)
*46,081 Macross F (2008)
*45,023 Cowboy Bebop (1998)
--------11~20--------
*41,337 Code Geass R2 (2008)
*41,037 Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)
*40,832 K-ON!(最終巻第1週)(2009)
*40,471 Dragon Ball Z (1989)
*38,349 Nadesico (1996)
*37,570 Gundam 00 (2007)
*37,436~37,441 Future Boy Conan (1978)
*31,696 Gundam W (1995)
*29,146 Lucky Star (2007)

I think he meant on this website.

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 21, 2011 12:00 AM

Jan 2011
wow I see this forum is still going on
anyways I personally think evangelion is
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Apr 21, 2011 12:36 AM

Jun 2009
cardtrick said:
wow I see this forum is still going on
anyways I personally think evangelion is

I can't even imagine trying to follow this series at such a young age.

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2011 5:43 AM

Apr 2009
hottbill said:
People with a low IQ seem to be the only ones that have a problem with this show.

Gotta love these comments, it shows the etilism of this fanbase...
-
And btw, a lot of people hate Kaname Madoka, but Madoka doesn't have a fanbase screaming "OH GOD, BEST ANIME EVER, IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT THEN YOU ARE STUPID" all over the place, so of course NGE gets more attention and therefore, more hate.
Apr 26, 2011 5:20 PM

Dec 2010
I don't thinkEvangelion sucks, actually I'm one of those freaks who watched it more than three times. I admit that you need a bit of an IQ as well as lots of general knowledge to understand everything and I dare to say thatäs one of the reasons why not everyone likes Evangelion, but I think saying it sucks, just because you don't get it is stupid.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, as well as all Movies (expect the first one, I thought they were kidding me..xD) are really awesome pieces of plot and they're built to make people think.
I cried at Episode 24 when Shinji killed Kaworu and I also get totally braindead after watching one of the Rebuild Movies.

So I think Evangelion is only something for people who are able to combine their general knwoledge and make their own conclusions and let Evangelion just make them think. Cause I think that#s what it's built for and that has nothing to do with being overrated!
Apr 30, 2011 3:02 PM

Jan 2011
Jopsi-Chan said:
I admit that you need a bit of an IQ as well as lots of general knowledge to understand everything!

This.

Kingwel said:
hottbill said:

Gotta love these comments, it shows the etilism of this fanbase...

Has nothing to do with elitism, has to do with how complicated the show is and people bashing it because, *spits chewing tobacco into metal can* "Now wha' da' fu' is dis giant robot doin?!"

The rating of this show says it all, most people enjoy it but dumb people bash it because they are, well, dumb.
May 3, 2011 4:30 PM

Jul 2009
insan3soldiern said:

I haven't seen Madoka so I can't really comment on her or that particular show but I wonder if people hated on Shinji as much when Eva originally came out? What I mean is, since Madoka is a new series and people looking at it in hypo-vision, maybe a few years down the road some person new to anime will pick up Madoka and complain about the things you mentioned.

But, to me, Shinji is probably one of the best male anime characters I've experienced.

I know what you mean. Maybe it's possible, but I saw some people complaining about Madoka's character just the other day sadly. I guess people will only take fake action heroes nowadays. I don't like it, characters shouldn't have to be badasses to be considered good.

Shinji is an amazing character. I've never seen one character go through so many different emotional stages in a series.

I also kind of agree with hottbill but not in the same way, while I think Evangelion is difficult to understand, you don't have to be intelligent to understand it. Understanding Evangelion relies on personal preference quite heavily, like most things. If you don't understand why Shinji is the way he is at certain parts of the series, you've already failed. The emotions in Evangelion are like a big puzzle that need piecing together.
May 7, 2011 7:16 AM

Jan 2010
Rebuild is overrated.
Jul 6, 2011 9:29 PM

Apr 2009
I can't see the reason why they made the Rebuild..the series is Epic enough..
maybe for the money..:(
Nov 16, 2011 7:07 AM

Jul 2009
/Necromancy!

Seen 15 eps so far and I dare to disagree with NGE fans (well unless something changes in any of the remaining eps).

The first thing is - the "psychological aspect" of the show. So far we have: the glory-hunting tsundere, the quiet girl, and a broken boy that can't get over his abandonment issues and overall is mentally unstable. Very deep indeed. He's 14yo you say. In case you didn't notice: 9-10yo kids are/were conscripted by guerilla units all over Africa, they were forced to fight, to kill; there's also the example of Lwów Eaglets - kids fought willingly to defend their city during the war; there were many scouts who joined forces with Resistance during the Second World War.

Realism is not realistic enough I guess.

And yet, a guy who's in a do or die situation, when he must fight or all is lost makes scenes like a little bobo. I bet, that if any actual 14 year olds were put into his boots, they would've peed in their pants out of fear. And then got the job done.

The second thing - Only The Chosen Ones Can Pilot It and Scientist Have Failed Miserably. You can't be serious with these two, ever. People in NGE knew what hit them, and that it's coming again. They had 15 years to prepare. And yet they failed to make mass-produced long range anti-angel weaponry? Especially since they actually made PROGRESS (AI, EVAs, Tokyo3)? That would've been understandable if there was some kind of "dark age," but there wasn't. And don't forget that progress accelerates during conflict. WTF? That brings us to the first - the chosen ones. Doh, not again... :|

Two major flaws out of hell-like-I-know-how-many, I'll draw more of them out when I have more time maybe.

My impression so far? NGE doesn't deserve the praise it gets.
Nov 20, 2011 6:24 AM
Jan 2011
@orzel286

Why are you criticizing a lack of realism using child soldiers when the series is more about Shinji's and other characters' psyche? His age is less important than the state of his mind. People respond differently to extremely stressful situations like frontline combat, both kids and adults. The realism here comes from the fact that Shinji's thoughts and emotions are well-explored and understandable. Besides Shinji usually got the job done anyway, while a lot of others would either run away or freeze.

Your second "major flaw" is indirectly answered in the 6th episode. They have a weapon that can pierce an AT field. To power it you need to re-route all the energy generated in Japan to that weapon. It's the question of resources and not science.
Nov 20, 2011 10:33 AM

Jul 2009
jl07045 said:
@orzel286

Why are you criticizing a lack of realism using child soldiers when the series is more about Shinji's and other characters' psyche? His age is less important than the state of his mind. People respond differently to extremely stressful situations like frontline combat, both kids and adults. The realism here comes from the fact that Shinji's thoughts and emotions are well-explored and understandable. Besides Shinji usually got the job done anyway, while a lot of others would either run away or freeze.

It really takes a second to notice that he's insane. He snaps time and time again. He leaves, says that he won't pilot eva and in the same ep he returns. Repeat x2-3. That's understandable? U mad?
He gets the job done? Not really - it's berserk eva that has to save the day usually.

Your second "major flaw" is indirectly answered in the 6th episode. They have a weapon that can pierce an AT field. To power it you need to re-route all the energy generated in Japan to that weapon. It's the question of resources and not science.

Wrong. ~Two angels were somehow destroyed by evas machine gun fire.

Yup, MACHINE GUN.

Shoot an angel from every gun UN has - no effect, place this "N2" mine - almost no effect, evas mg - it's super effective!

Take evangelions themselfes as an example - why are there so few of them? Nevermind WHAT evas actually are - it doesn't matter, it's logical that you'll mass produce most effective weapons (lolT34lol). And don't forget - this is a full scale war, with the fate of all mankind at sake; why aren't corporations like GM, Ford, Google (LOL) etc cooperating in order to produce evas quickly, in great numbers? My guess is - someone didn't give much thought about it or "this_is_a_great_setting_GTFO." And as a result there's a giant plot hole, either way.
Nov 20, 2011 12:14 PM
Jan 2011
orzel286 said:
He snaps time and time again. He leaves, says that he won't pilot eva and in the same ep he returns. Repeat x2-3. That's understandable? U mad?

The reasons why he snaps and goes back are explained, so they are understandable. Whether you can empathize with him is a whole different case. Apparently you can't or don't want to, which is fine by me, except that is not the fault of the show or anyone else.

About angels being destroyed by machine guns, that is also explained, in episode 3 if I'm not mistaken. An Eva can neutralize Angels' AT field which makes them susceptible to physical damage. It is explained what Evas actually are towards the end of the show. It also cannot be called a full scale war since the truth about Angels, Eva units etc is held by Seele and NERV and is unknown to general public, because both of the organizations have their own secret and shady plans. So these are not plot holes, this is just you not paying attention.
Nov 21, 2011 1:22 AM

Jul 2009
jl07045 said:

The reasons why he snaps and goes back are explained, so they are understandable. Whether you can empathize with him is a whole different case. Apparently you can't or don't want to, which is fine by me, except that is not the fault of the show or anyone else.

I can understand that he has some issues, but the way he acts is not understandable at all. Well, unless he is a woman or retarded. Who would need like ~20 eps to make his mind? Never heard the line "heroes are made of people too afraid to run away"? Never heard about "the cornered rat will fight to the end, against all odds"? Too bad for ya, becouse that's exactly how most of people function, while facing life threatening situations. And yet, he/she(lol) would rather run and die anyway. You can't be that pessimistic, trust me.

About angels being destroyed by machine guns, that is also explained, in episode 3 if I'm not mistaken. An Eva can neutralize Angels' AT field which makes them susceptible to physical damage.

Oh, yes evas can neutralize angels at field - with bare hands or a knife. And a machine gun. It's a complete nonsense! You tell me that mg is more powerful than artillery, or N2 mine, which is basically A FKN NUKE?

It is explained what Evas actually are towards the end of the show. It also cannot be called a full scale war since the truth about Angels, Eva units etc is held by Seele and NERV and is unknown to general public, because both of the organizations have their own secret and shady plans. So these are not plot holes, this is just you not paying attention.

Yes, it is a full scale war. Whole UN force is engaged in this humanity vs angels showdown. SAS was not a public knowledge during the second world war, and so what? You can't measure scale of conflict by numbers of secrets involved XD
Nov 21, 2011 1:45 AM
Mar 2011
this show is under rated casue of what it did for the industry in the rough times of the eiely 90's made it possible for sponsors wating to pour money back in to anime again
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 21, 2011 11:10 AM
Jan 2011
orzel286 said:
Never heard the line "heroes are made of people too afraid to run away"? Never heard about "the cornered rat will fight to the end, against all odds"? Too bad for ya, becouse that's exactly how most of people function, while facing life threatening situations.

Whether I've heard of them and whether most people act that way is irrelevant. What is important is how Shinji acts, which is what the show is largely about. You can call him a woman or retarded for all I care, but this is just a case of the main character not meeting your expectations.

You can't be that pessimistic, trust me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression
There you go.

Oh, yes evas can neutralize angels at field - with bare hands or a knife. And a machine gun. It's a complete nonsense!

No, with their own AT field, that was even shown in the 2nd episode. Be more attentive when you watch something.

You can't measure scale of conflict by numbers of secrets involved

Very well. However vital information was withheld from governments and different methods of fighting Angels other than those provided by NERV were sabotaged (episode 7). NERV and Seele made sure that they are the only ones capable of defeating Angels to further their goals, that was the core of my argument.
Nov 21, 2011 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
jl07045 said:

Whether I've heard of them and whether most people act that way is irrelevant. What is important is how Shinji acts, which is what the show is largely about. You can call him a woman or retarded for all I care, but this is just a case of the main character not meeting your expectations.

And yet people call her a "normal 14yo."
As a producer, you have to amuse most of plebeians - MC with mental disorder in a (let's say)"mecha" anime, with a "The Chosen Ones" cliche will do the trick, so you don't have to focus on the plot. True story.

BTW - "The chosen ones" by Dream Evil is one of my fav songs :3

No, with their own AT field, that was even shown in the 2nd episode. Be more attentive when you watch something.

That doesn't make a lot of sense anyway.

Very well. However vital information was withheld from governments and different methods of fighting Angels other than those provided by NERV were sabotaged (episode 7). NERV and Seele made sure that they are the only ones capable of defeating Angels to further their goals, that was the core of my argument.

Smells like.... CONSPIRATION! :P

But seriously, anime about conspiration without iluminati? WTF? :P

Oh, yes, China, Russia, US and other countries would easily let them do as they please. Prrffff.

Oh, I forgot - they didn't have intelligence agencies, money, etc to thwart SEELE and NERV before their rise to power, and acquire any plans, concepts they had! :P
Nov 21, 2011 2:20 PM
Jan 2011
orzel286 said:
As a producer, you have to amuse most of plebeians - MC with mental disorder in a (let's say)"mecha" anime, with a "The Chosen Ones" cliche will do the trick, so you don't have to focus on the plot. True story.

Then are you criticizing the show or the people watching it? The plot provides the context for the character drama that is at the centre of the show.

A high ability to suspend disbelief is very important to enjoy anything sci-fi or fantasy. You think Death Star (you can replace it with pretty much any outlandish technology in soft sci-fi) makes more sense?

Oh, yes, China, Russia, US and other countries would easily let them do as they please. Prrffff.

You're nitpicking and speculating without paying attention to what is said and shown on-screen.
Nov 21, 2011 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
ezaya said:
Do you guys think that this is an overrated anime..whyy?

Groundbreaking for it's era. Which inspire who-knows-how-many animes later...... Like in the present!
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Nov 21, 2011 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
Hybrid00 said:
It only sucks if you're to stupid to understand it.

I love Eva. Favorite anime ever.

To stupid to spell correctly also
Nov 21, 2011 2:57 PM

Sep 2011
orzel286 said:
jl07045 said:

BTW - "The chosen ones" by Dream Evil is one of my fav songs :3

Smells like.... CONSPIRATION! :P

But seriously, anime about conspiration without iluminati? WTF? :P

Oh, I forgot - they didn't have intelligence agencies, money, etc to thwart SEELE and NERV before their rise to power, and acquire any plans, concepts they had! :P

SEELE is essentially the illuminati. But it is explained in the pores that they have guided human history for a LONG time. I think they started off as a Jewish organization in the 500s BCE
Nov 22, 2011 1:18 AM

Jul 2009
jl07045 said:

Then are you criticizing the show or the people watching it? The plot provides the context for the character drama that is at the centre of the show.

Both. Drama? Didn't notice.

A high ability to suspend disbelief is very important to enjoy anything sci-fi or fantasy. You think Death Star (you can replace it with pretty much any outlandish technology in soft sci-fi) makes more sense?

Of course it makes sense. You probably don't know about it, but Star Wars has like ~100000 years covered with books (many technology guides included), comics, games etc. So it's pretty easy to cover any plot holes, make death stars believable.

You're nitpicking and speculating without paying attention to what is said and shown on-screen.

If you payed attention - why didn't any of the countries do anything? :P
Oct 10, 2012 5:23 AM

Apr 2012
No.

It set a standard for the anime industry at the time and has since then been imitated by the thousands. While the ending is a disappointment on many levels, it only adds to the crazy uniqueness of this series.
Oct 14, 2012 8:17 PM

Mar 2010
Am I the only person who thinks the experimental non-narrative nature of the last 2 episodes are:

1) An artful attempt at trying to illustrate a world without self.
2) Praise worthy for it's mix of various animation styles (keep in mind, they didn't have the CG capabilities of today)

?
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.