Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Oct 12, 2016 4:05 PM

Sep 2009
No, it was just that good for its time. Try watching other psychological mecha animes from 1996; assuming others exist.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 22, 2017 3:14 AM
Oct 2016
Evangelion is not overrated! Evangelion is perfect !
Aug 24, 2017 9:30 AM
Aug 2011
Pretentious, boring and unlikable sums up Evangelion perfectly.
Aug 30, 2017 4:09 AM

Apr 2009
i watched this for the first time when i was around 12-14 somewhere,
it kinda scarred me for life, i have watched it maybe 5 times total and get almost just as affected by it every time i see it, -granted i've watched a shitton more horror and psychological thrillers since then, but NGE is still one of the scariest shits i've ever seen .w.

best anime on my list, so yeah, no, not overrated- rather the opposite.

i pretty much love everything about it, except for the slapped-together ending, but hey- that's why there's movies.

-what you think are machines turning out to be actual biological beings kinda just fucks with my brains, so..
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Aug 30, 2017 4:38 AM

Aug 2014
>thread from 2009
but why tho
Aug 30, 2017 4:44 AM

Jun 2011
Sometimes I joke and say Cowboy Bebop is overrated because I personally don't like it as much as I expected based on how it was sold up to me. I think there is a similar feeling when people finally do watch Evangelion. Obviously, I love Evangelion though.

However, as with all the classics, I actually can see why they were so popular for the time they were released. I do not see them as overrated. It takes a lot to stand the test of time the way Cowboy Bebop, Miyazaki movies, and Evangelion have.

If you think about how many anime barely make it 2 years, 5 years 10 years... anime like Bebop and Evangelion which have made it 20 years (more than 20 for Evangelion, slightly less than 20 for Bebop) are all the more impressive. They are still at the forefront of many anime fans minds. Still referenced in modern anime fans. Still put on top 100 lists for both western and Japanese fans. Which seriously has to count for something.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 30, 2017 4:46 AM

Jun 2011
Insertanamehere said:
>thread from 2009
but why tho

So you don't have to make your own over and over again. It is a question asked a lot of anime like Evangelion. But I think if an anime lasts this long in the minds of anime fans and hasn't been forgotten, it isn't overrated at all.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 26, 2018 10:35 PM
Mar 2018
Not everyone likes the same type of anime for personal reasons or even how you were feeling that same day. For example why do people not like hentaiheaven? Because it has hentai and shit u dont care about. The same for evangelion, people just dont want to think about the instrumentality project or how the main characters think and that what the whole show is about; analyzing the plot. It is not overrated unless u are one of those people who just want to see mech fighting or romantic stuff
Sep 9, 2018 4:51 PM

Aug 2018
I participate in other anime forums so I really know hoy annoying is to reopen old threads, but I want to give my opinion (none different of what I've read here, though).

Is Evangelion overrated? Well, I'd say yes and no.

Yes, because some people like to put Eva in a Godlike place, unreachable for other animes. Don't get me wrong, I sincerely love Evangelion, it is my favourite anime, and even if I haven't watched 200 days of anime, none of the things I've seen can't replace what it made me feel back in the day (and I'm talking about things like Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Steins;Gate, animes rated with a note +8.75 by the community). But, making it simple, I don't think is the BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME. People that don't like it are not stupid for it. They just didn't enjoy the experience. And it's okay.

And no, because Evangelion came in 1995. NGE has 23 years and you can still find people talking about its difficult characters, its complex simbology, etc. It's not easy to make a series that can hold the passage of time like Eva or Bebop does nowadays. When it first came out, Evangelion broke everything people was made to. It was an absolute sucess, and even if you love it or you hate it, it doesn't matter, because you are STILL talking about Evangelion.

For me, Evangelion entered my life when I was having a really really bad time, and I found it pretty similiar to my mental situation. Even if I rewatch Evangelion (which I'm currently doing), my mind enjoys it as it was the first time. So, for me, it is not overrated.
Sep 9, 2018 5:00 PM

Aug 2015
Evangelion has had feelings in it, that I am able to relate to and I think there was some stuff done very well in it. But some of it I don't particuarly enjoy. I am however enjoying the new rebuild movies unlike most Eva fans.

Sep 9, 2018 5:20 PM

Jan 2013
PentagramShogoki said:
I participate in other anime forums so I really know hoy annoying is to reopen old threads, but I want to give my opinion (none different of what I've read here, though).

Yes, because some people like to put Eva in a Godlike place, unreachable for other animes. Don't get me wrong, I sincerely love Evangelion, it is my favourite anime, and even if I haven't watched 200 days of anime, none of the things I've seen can't replace what it made me feel back in the day (and I'm talking about things like Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Steins;Gate, animes rated with a note +8.75 by the community). But, making it simple, I don't think is the BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME. People that don't like it are not stupid for it. They just didn't enjoy the experience. And it's okay.

And no, because Evangelion came in 1995. NGE has 23 years and you can still find people talking about its difficult characters, its complex simbology, etc. It's not easy to make a series that can hold the passage of time like Eva or Bebop does nowadays. When it first came out, Evangelion broke everything people was made to. It was an absolute sucess, and even if you love it or you hate it, it doesn't matter, because you are STILL talking about Evangelion.

For me, Evangelion entered my life when I was having a really really bad time, and I found it pretty similiar to my mental situation. Even if I rewatch Evangelion (which I'm currently doing), my mind enjoys it as it was the first time. So, for me, it is not overrated.
Can you explain the bolded part?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 9, 2018 5:25 PM

Aug 2018
Cabron said:
PentagramShogoki said:

Can you explain the bolded part?

I'll try.

In 1995, Evangelion was different, groundbreaking. It was hugely experimental and because of its success, many other animes came out. I meant to say that.
Sep 9, 2018 8:22 PM

Jun 2011
PentagramShogoki said:

It shouldn't be surprising that you decided to comment on this thread since MAL went down for like 3 months. I'm sorry to hear that you went through a very difficult time. I hope Evangelion helped you get through that.

Anyway, I wouldn't call it groundbreaking since the characters fit into typical angsty teenager tropes. Shinji may not be the typical go-getter protagonist but he isn't a unique character due to his tendency to cry easily and run away from dangerous situations. And Asuka is a tsundere who serves as a foil to the protagonist but appears to have a thing for him. Though, she tends to tease him and insult him frequently like people might do to their friends. Also, around the time Eva came out, I think there were tsunderes like Akane from Ranma 1/2 around. Asuka wasn't exactly unique, she may have populated the tsundere trope but her attitude is reminiscent of a mean 13 year old girl. Rei was probably the only unique character for the series's time, though even kuuderes became a cliched so she couldn't even stand the test of time. Even the adults in the series can be buttholes.

I would say that Eva was groundbreaking in its story but not in its characters.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Sep 14, 2018 6:12 AM

Nov 2017
pinkarray said:
PentagramShogoki said:

It shouldn't be surprising that you decided to comment on this thread since MAL went down for like 3 months. I'm sorry to hear that you went through a very difficult time. I hope Evangelion helped you get through that.

Anyway, I wouldn't call it groundbreaking since the characters fit into typical angsty teenager tropes. Shinji may not be the typical go-getter protagonist but he isn't a unique character due to his tendency to cry easily and run away from dangerous situations. And Asuka is a tsundere who serves as a foil to the protagonist but appears to have a thing for him. Though, she tends to tease him and insult him frequently like people might do to their friends. Also, around the time Eva came out, I think there were tsunderes like Akane from Ranma 1/2 around. Asuka wasn't exactly unique, she may have populated the tsundere trope but her attitude is reminiscent of a mean 13 year old girl. Rei was probably the only unique character for the series's time, though even kuuderes became a cliched so she couldn't even stand the test of time. Even the adults in the series can be buttholes.

Evangelion is flawed but most people like it because of its characters not the story which doesn't really make any sense if you think about it, I don't think It's the best anime of all time either and it helped go through a rough time as well and if I were to realistically rate it I'd give it a 7/10 but calling Evangelions characters cliche is just stupid, archetypes exist in every medium what matters is the execution and how you use a basic personality like how you described each character which makes Evangelion pretty much a subversion both in it's time and today as well, sure all these tropes are well established but there's nothing generic about these characters in particular.

Time has simply used things that were established by Evangelion and converted it into something else, every single character in it was believable Asuka was not a Tsundere for the sake of being a Tsundere like what we see in anime today, there's a lot more to Shinji than what meets the eye, he doesn't understand himself and thinks too much of the people around him, a lot of this is shown directly to the viewer instead of the normal bland self insert mc's, the purpose of Evangelion was to bring people to their reality, a whiny person can be realized as a character in several different ways which you probably didn't understand for example a word can be a derivation of several different words or it can describe several things(a person can be whiny and social or whiny and antisocial), to develop a whiny person as a character one must show the various difficulties the person faces in a believable way but where Evangelion breaks from Cliche is that it does just that but in a completely different way, normally people learn things out of a situation but since Evangelion wanted to show that the more closer you get to a person the more pain you suffer you must go through that pain become happy therefore every single character keeps hurting each other instead of growing which can be interpreted as something painfully realistic, anyway to summarize the various aspects of Anno's depression and his vision for the series make these characters stand out by the unusual way that they are developed and how these characters tell the concepts of Evangelion such as every human being having the power to understand everyone else as well as the importance of individuality.
Sep 14, 2018 8:54 AM

Jun 2011
RapidShadow said:
pinkarray said:

Evangelion is flawed but most people like it because of its characters not the story which doesn't really make any sense if you think about it, I don't think It's the best anime of all time either and it helped go through a rough time as well and if I were to realistically rate it I'd give it a 7/10 but calling Evangelions characters cliche is just stupid, archetypes exist in every medium what matters is the execution and how you use a basic personality like how you described each character which makes Evangelion pretty much a subversion both in it's time and today as well, sure all these tropes are well established but there's nothing generic about these characters in particular.

Time has simply used things that were established by Evangelion and converted it into something else, every single character in it was believable Asuka was not a Tsundere for the sake of being a Tsundere like what we see in anime today, there's a lot more to Shinji than what meets the eye, he doesn't understand himself and thinks too much of the people around him, a lot of this is shown directly to the viewer instead of the normal bland self insert mc's, the purpose of Evangelion was to bring people to their reality, a whiny person can be realized as a character in several different ways which you probably didn't understand for example a word can be a derivation of several different words or it can describe several things(a person can be whiny and social or whiny and antisocial), to develop a whiny person as a character one must show the various difficulties the person faces in a believable way but where Evangelion breaks from Cliche is that it does just that but in a completely different way, normally people learn things out of a situation but since Evangelion wanted to show that the more closer you get to a person the more pain you suffer you must go through that pain become happy therefore every single character keeps hurting each other instead of growing which can be interpreted as something painfully realistic, anyway to summarize the various aspects of Anno's depression and his vision for the series make these characters stand out by the unusual way that they are developed and how these characters tell the concepts of Evangelion such as every human being having the power to understand everyone else as well as the importance of individuality.

I think that in every fiction, a character needs to learn something and grow and there needs to be a good lesson. Evangelion characters just get worse and that is not how character development works. It could've had them learn how to deal with their depression/angst/trauma so that it can teach the audience a good lesson that has experienced/experiencing such things. Like for me, I had trauma in my childhood, watching Evangelion helped me see the emotional baggage that comes with trauma but not learn how to deal with it. I have no experience with people suffering from depression or depression myself but I think that since the Evangelion characters really need to see a psychologist, it would've been cool if the show put them in therapy so that maybe it could help them out.

I dislike most psychological anime because they're so hard to understand and that's why I have an easier time seeing what the characters are on the surface rather than looking at their complex characterization. That's why I called Evangelion characters cliched because Evangelion is so complex, it confuses many viewers, yet it deconstructs archetypes.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Sep 14, 2018 9:21 AM

Nov 2017
pinkarray said:
RapidShadow said:

I think that in every fiction, a character needs to learn something and grow and there needs to be a good lesson. Evangelion characters just get worse and that is not how character development works. It could've had them learn how to deal with their depression/angst/trauma so that it can teach the audience a good lesson that has experienced/experiencing such things. Like for me, I had trauma in my childhood, watching Evangelion helped me see the emotional baggage that comes with trauma but not learn how to deal with it. I have no experience with people suffering from depression or depression myself but I think that since the Evangelion characters really need to see a psychologist, it would've been cool if the show put them in therapy so that maybe it could help them out.

I dislike most psychological anime because they're so hard to understand and that's why I have an easier time seeing what the characters are on the surface rather than looking at their complex characterization. That's why I called Evangelion characters cliched because Evangelion is so complex, it confuses many viewers, yet it deconstructs archetypes.

I don't think you get the point of the subversion that Anno wanted to place on his characters, while we can look at it from many different perspectives for example one person would be able to relate to this a lot more than another person, Evangelion taught that me that the pain I'm going through now(at that time) can amount to something good in the future but from another persons perspective this simply does not appeal to them that's why Evangelion has such a division of people loving it and hating it. I absolutely love psychological anime and it's my favorite genre because I like thinking about the things that these creators have to say and if an anime has nothing to say then it just becomes forgettable for me.

It could put in therapy but then how wouldn't be able to have a story now would we? Yeah Evangelions story doesn't make any sense and I admit to it. Although your problems are simply a personal preference the same as mine. In the end I think we can at least agree that from different viewpoints Evangelion can be a masterpiece or simply mediocre.
Sep 14, 2018 9:27 AM

Aug 2018
pinkarray said:
RapidShadow said:

I have to disagree here. While is true Eva characters get worse, it is not because of they want but because they are really under a situation where a person with depression will go worse. It wouldn't be realistic if Shinji (being him the main character), a person with daddy issues that felt abandoned whole his life would get better as the series progresses. As I found in FLCL with Naota, Shinji wants to be loved for who he is, not for piloting the Evangelion 01 or for being the 'hero of the day'. He is surrounded by characters in his same situation, so obviously he can't get better, neither the others (Asuka, Misato). Also, I wouldn't say Shinji does not progress with the series, but not in the right way. He follows the way of 'if I pilot the Eva, I will be loved', but in episode 24, killing Kaworu makes his evolution an involution and he really feels he killed the only person that loved him. But he doesn't realize Kaworu's love was useless. My mother had depression, and I can really tell you how I found similarities between Shinji and her. If you don't have people that helps you around, you'll go crazy and you will not progress. I wouldn't call Eva characters 'cliché', because they follow with complexity the depression thread. Also, I wouldn't say Eva don't tell you how to progress with the depression. I don't want to be rough, but I think people that dislike its characters say they are 'not realistic' or 'cliche'. They give a really accurate representation of the relations between people and how would they react in that situations (for example, in episode 5, Shinji falls above Rei and, instead of kicking the hell out of him, Rei acts like his personality does: she doesn't care about herself and Shinji is regretful).
Sep 14, 2018 9:35 AM

Sep 2017
"Oh no people have a different opinion than me, therefore it must be overrated!"

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Sep 14, 2018 10:15 AM

Jan 2013
Much better.
So how was it different, groundbreaking and experimental?
What anime came out because of it?

Sep 14, 2018 10:25 AM

Jul 2014
The amount of hype it gets actually really surprises me, and this is coming from a staunch fan of the show who considers it more or less perfect. I mean, which other IP featuring deeply flawed and complex characters coupled with weird, often avant-garde directorial flourishes has sold nearly as well and has an abundance of merch?

Regardless, I don't think it's overrated at all. I'm just slightly perplexed (albeit happy) that it's as iconic as it is.
Take care of yourself

Sep 14, 2018 10:25 AM

Aug 2018
Cabron said:
Much better.

Utena, for example. I find the dark and deep themes in Utena influenced by Eva. The deconstruction of the magical girl theme. There is a series I haven't personally seen but some friends of mine have, called 'The Legend of the Black Heaven', A normal person who had a glorious heavy metal band in the past gets in an intergalactic fight against aliens. Also, one of the most well known that is really similar to Evangelion is RahXephon, too. With this, I'm not saying Evangelion is the root of Anime, but I think it trully influenced some other series in the 1990's, the years of experimentation, and it keeps doing it today.
Sep 15, 2018 9:36 PM

Jan 2013
PentagramShogoki said:
Cabron said:
Much better.

Utena, for example. I find the dark and deep themes in Utena influenced by Eva. The deconstruction of the magical girl theme. There is a series I haven't personally seen but some friends of mine have, called 'The Legend of the Black Heaven', A normal person who had a glorious heavy metal band in the past gets in an intergalactic fight against aliens. Also, one of the most well known that is really similar to Evangelion is RahXephon, too. With this, I'm not saying Evangelion is the root of Anime, but I think it trully influenced some other series in the 1990's, the years of experimentation, and it keeps doing it today.
That's just Ikuhara being Ikuhara, those themes were already present during Sailor Moon which he worked on and directed.
I've seen The Legend of the Black Heaven, not sure what that has to do Eva?
As for Rahxephon, it was influenced by Raideen (a mecha anime from the 70s that was directed by Tomino, the first half at least. You know, same guy who directed og Gundam which had a huge influence on Anno and Eva.) For some reason I can't find the interview where the director said it...
CabronSep 15, 2018 9:41 PM

Sep 30, 2018 3:33 AM
Jul 2018
PentagramShogoki said:
pinkarray said:

I have to disagree here. While is true Eva characters get worse, it is not because of they want but because they are really under a situation where a person with depression will go worse. It wouldn't be realistic if Shinji (being him the main character), a person with daddy issues that felt abandoned whole his life would get better as the series progresses. As I found in FLCL with Naota, Shinji wants to be loved for who he is, not for piloting the Evangelion 01 or for being the 'hero of the day'. He is surrounded by characters in his same situation, so obviously he can't get better, neither the others (Asuka, Misato). Also, I wouldn't say Shinji does not progress with the series, but not in the right way. He follows the way of 'if I pilot the Eva, I will be loved', but in episode 24, killing Kaworu makes his evolution an involution and he really feels he killed the only person that loved him. But he doesn't realize Kaworu's love was useless. My mother had depression, and I can really tell you how I found similarities between Shinji and her. If you don't have people that helps you around, you'll go crazy and you will not progress. I wouldn't call Eva characters 'cliché', because they follow with complexity the depression thread. Also, I wouldn't say Eva don't tell you how to progress with the depression. I don't want to be rough, but I think people that dislike its characters say they are 'not realistic' or 'cliche'. They give a really accurate representation of the relations between people and how would they react in that situations (for example, in episode 5, Shinji falls above Rei and, instead of kicking the hell out of him, Rei acts like his personality does: she doesn't care about herself and Shinji is regretful).

I think his depression makes it worse, but everybody, who is somewhere more on the sane side, would go insane at this events, especially kids and teenagers and hands down, adults of every age too. Shinji deals with such a huge amount of pressure on his shoulders as well, that nobody in his place would be unaffected to this.
IF someone wouldn't care at all and is pretty much the same, then I would worry lol.

Many other anime portray fighting against an enemy (whoever it is) as something that won't affect you that much, but in reality, people would be frightened and traumatized to hell, piloting such a robot or fighting on their own with weapons against an enemy.
Being a teenager with a depression makes it much worse. Ofc, not everybody shows that the situation affects them in the same way (aka with a depression) and with the same intensity (like, it's the same for: not everybody, who suffers or is mourning cries, but because they act different, doesn't mean, the feeling isn't there).
But the situation alone affects everyone and people in general tend to leash all of their problems at each other out too. They make their own situation they are in worse, but it's very natural to react like that.
removed-userSep 30, 2018 3:38 AM
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
4 hours ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Today, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.