Forum Settings
Forums

Why sometimes anime industry didn't make sequel even tho there was enough source material ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 11, 2016 5:18 AM

Feb 2015
Kuma said:
Tevens said:

but it would give some profit to the industry if they made another season right ? considering that the anime and the source material is popular enough.
how can you say sure?
declining for second season BD sales is almost always happened.. you can secure series succesful just simply first season is succesful... it even give producer higher risk... i don't think sane producer would take that..

ow. i never thought of that. i always thought, enough source material, popular enough could easly triggered second season and i thought it would be a profit for the industry. but i only thought about the souce material,etc and not thinking about the industry itself (?) well, finally i have the answer. thanks :D
YizelTroMay 11, 2016 5:23 AM
May 11, 2016 5:23 AM

Mar 2015
Tevens said:
Kuma said:
how can you say sure?
declining for second season BD sales is almost always happened.. you can secure series succesful just simply first season is succesful... it even give producer higher risk... i don't think sane producer would take that..

ow. i never thought of that. i always thought, enough source material, popular enough could easly triggered second season and i thought it would be a profit for the industry. but i only thought about the souce material,etc and not thinking about the industry itself (?) well, finally i have the answer. thanks :D
you can skimming trough this
http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view
for comparison first season and second season...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 11, 2016 5:24 AM

Jul 2015
That's easy if the anime isn't successful than there won't be a sequel
May 11, 2016 5:28 AM

Aug 2013
Becase:
a) It wasn't reviewed well ans they dropped it
b) The studio doesn't have enough finding
c) The original creator doesn't want it continued (like the mangaka, or the LN writer etc.)
d) The studio doesn't like where the story is going (and then they usually make a filler ending and drop it afterwards)
May 11, 2016 9:23 AM

Aug 2014
Tevens said:
if that's the case, all this time anime industry only care about money ?

Why, what did you think it was about?

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 11, 2016 10:22 AM

Feb 2015
black1blade said:
Tevens said:
if that's the case, all this time anime industry only care about money ?

Why, what did you think it was about?

i mean, they didn't even care about the anime afterwards ?
if that's the case, IMO, that is too cruel. it makes anime like money maker then, well even tho i have to admit it, it is a money maker. but at least care about what happened to the anime. they were like "this anime gave us enough money. let's go to the other project then" then just forget the anime even tho it's still possible to make another season. that's what i thought.
May 12, 2016 3:17 AM

Oct 2013
Two big variables are missing in your calculations: Cost of producing and endeavor of all parts involved in the anime project.

For the example of Madhouse. They really noticeable stopped doing sequel seasons after escaping bankruptcy by being bought by NTV. Is easy to understand that after that, they would not go to the extra costs and endeavors that sequel seasons mean. Not only by Madhouse new management, but the other stakeholders in Madhouse projects are less likely to want to undertake such a thing with that studio.

Other studios and producers have management ideologies that take costs, endeavor and other things into account.
May 12, 2016 3:34 AM

May 2009
I think the anime of NGNL was a made to promote the LN. (A boost of 550% of the sales if i remember well)

The fact that Madhouse chose to end the anime with the last scene of the last volume published at that time (the 6th one, skipping 3 volumes) meant that they didn't plan to go for a 2nd one.
If they ever do a second season, I wonder how they will make up for how they mess up their ending. x)
May 12, 2016 6:55 AM

Nov 2014
Tevens said:
Kuma said:
how can you say sure?

Minor thought for the reason why most Anime's don't get a second season:

It might be that, unlikely as it may be in reality, the studio wants to adapt as many different stories as possible to reach out to more people. The more series they adapt, the more people know about their studio from the different genres and franchises which may check out any works they put out after or before. It is also more likely for them to strike it big if they just adapt multiple works instead of continuing previous ones. Of course, the reason they don't continue the big ones even despite their success is already covered, but this might be another minor reason.
Orange, you say? That's the name of my loyalty!

All Hail Lelouch Vi Britannia!

Rip Wowaka...
May 12, 2016 7:20 AM

Feb 2015
LZW said:
Tevens said:

Minor thought for the reason why most Anime's don't get a second season:

It might be that, unlikely as it may be in reality, the studio wants to adapt as many different stories as possible to reach out to more people. The more series they adapt, the more people know about their studio from the different genres and franchises which may check out any works they put out after or before. It is also more likely for them to strike it big if they just adapt multiple works instead of continuing previous ones. Of course, the reason they don't continue the big ones even despite their success is already covered, but this might be another minor reason.

so basically advertising their own studio at the same time while advertising the source material. yeah....it make sense. i kinda agree with that :D because it's possible for them to increase their budget/profit that way. i never thought about it that way too.
May 12, 2016 8:50 AM

May 2009
@Tevens

Anyway, for NGNL, now they should start to have enough material to make a new season, but the plot hole will still be there. :D (Did you read the LN yet?)
I don't know if a studio is asking the editor of the source (manga/LN) to do an anime or if it's the other way.

For Index, the last news I saw about it was this one.
May 12, 2016 9:29 AM

Feb 2015
Djidji said:
@Tevens

Anyway, for NGNL, now they should start to have enough material to make a new season, but the plot hole will still be there. :D (Did you read the LN yet?)
I don't know if a studio is asking the editor of the source (manga/LN) to do an anime or if it's the other way.

For Index, the last news I saw about it was this one.

Plot hole ? you mean the after-credit scene at the end of the final episode ? i don't know if that scene was in the LN or not but if it was really from the LN then i think there is no problem to make another season. they just need to adapt it into where they left in the first season :D. i haven't read the LN btw. too expensive in my country tho i already bought 2 of them, vol 3 and vol 4 :D

"Index anime [season 3] is plausible, so please wait!!"
if he said to wait, i will wait then :D
thanks for the news according index btw :D
i really hope staff will make it someday :D
YizelTroMay 12, 2016 9:32 AM
May 12, 2016 10:05 AM

May 2009
Tevens said:

Plot hole ? you mean the after-credit scene at the end of the final episode ? i don't know if that scene was in the LN or not but if it was really from the LN then i think there is no problem to make another season. they just need to adapt it into where they left in the first season :D. i haven't read the LN btw. too expensive in my country tho i already bought 2 of them, vol 3 and vol 4 :D

May 12, 2016 10:09 AM

Nov 2008
Is it even that rare for Madhouse to create sequels? I mean, it's completely understandable for them to not do so since they want to make money. However, it's not like they never produced sequels (Beyblade, Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger/Rising, Diamond no Ace), even after them escaping bankruptcy (Chihayafuru 2, Kaiji: Hakairoku-hen).
Moreover, it's not like it's confirmed that NGNL won't get a second season ever, it's only been two years.
May 12, 2016 10:12 AM

Feb 2015
Djidji said:
Tevens said:

so they just need to adapt it until vol 6 right ? i mean, start from vol 4 because they ended it until vol 3. i think it's still possible to make another season. but that after-credit scene is like "go read the LN" kind of show. Oregairu season 2 for example. but i really hope to see another season.
May 12, 2016 10:14 AM

Feb 2015
Tacas said:
Is it even that rare for Madhouse to create sequels? I mean, it's completely understandable for them to not do so since they want to make money. However, it's not like they never produced sequels (Beyblade, Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger/Rising, Diamond no Ace), even after them escaping bankruptcy (Chihayafuru 2, Kaiji: Hakairoku-hen).
Moreover, it's not like it's confirmed that NGNL won't get a second season ever, it's only been two years.

LOL, many people are focusing into madhouse.
my question is not about madhouse aren't making any sequels right now.
my question is : why sometimes anime industry didn't make sequel even tho there was enough source material and popular enough ? well, i already got an anwer for that tho :D NGNL and Index is just an example.
YizelTroMay 12, 2016 10:18 AM
May 12, 2016 10:16 AM
Dec 2015
Cuz they need to collect a certain amount of fanboy tears
May 12, 2016 10:22 AM

May 2009
Tevens said:

so they just need to adapt it until vol 6 right ? i mean, start from vol 4 because they ended it until vol 3. i think it's still possible to make another season. but that after-credit scene is like "go read the LN" kind of show. Oregairu season 2 for example. but i really hope to see another season.

Well, if they do that, they will end up once more with the same ending. xD
May 12, 2016 10:23 AM

Jul 2015
Because they only care about money and they don't care about giving a complete story
May 12, 2016 10:26 AM

Feb 2015
Djidji said:
Tevens said:

wut ?! really ?! XD
so it means it will continue again LOL.
now i want to know what do mean with the same ending, but i don't want to get spoiled XD
don't tell me they aren't gonna make it because they are waiting so that they can adapt it into 24 episode (2 cour) ? that's possible right ?
May 12, 2016 10:45 AM

Jul 2015
NGNL doesn't have a sequel because it has a source material.
A ton of anime are made to promote the source material
May 12, 2016 10:49 AM

May 2009
Tevens said:
Djidji said:

wut ?! really ?! XD
so it means it will continue again LOL.
now i want to know what do mean with the same ending, but i don't want to get spoiled XD
don't tell me they aren't gonna make it because they are waiting so that they can adapt it into 24 episode (2 cour) ? that's possible right ?

If they wanna make a S2, a 2-cour might be better so that they can manage the pacing more easily.
May 12, 2016 11:02 AM

Oct 2013
Tacas said:

They always did little, but since the bankruptcy it became more predominant.

- Beyblade is from way before the bankrupcy and Madhouse only did the 1st season, the rest was from other studios.

- Hajime no Ippo Rising was a cooperation with Mappa, and the rest was done before the bankrupcy, so the question is, will they ever do a continuation of Rising now?
Also to note that the 2nd season(New Challenger) took 7 years to air.

- Ace of Diamond is a 2nd season only in name, just like Dragon Ball Z. There was no break between season. I believe it only had a slight timeslot change, so they advertised as another season. Still Ace of Diamond was a cooperation with Production I.G.

Kaiji 2nd season was almost certainly in the middle of development even during the bankrupcy so it would make no sense to just cancel it.

Chihayafuru is the only Madhouse anime that came after the bankrupcy(2010), that got a 2nd season!
At least is like that for now. Let's see if they change their ways in the future, I believe the author of One Punch man talked something about being interested in doing a 2nd season, though he isn't the person that decides if that is greenlit or not.

So in conclusion, since 2010(7 years), Madhouse had 3 sequels and only 1 of those came from a series during that period of time.
bigivelfhqMay 12, 2016 11:08 AM
May 12, 2016 11:05 AM

May 2016
They do what they do. You can't really do anything about it, even if the anime is good.
May 12, 2016 11:06 AM

Oct 2013
targa said:
NGNL doesn't have a sequel because it has a source material.
A ton of anime are made to promote the source material

An anime series is a project with various stakeholders. Each stakeholders have different interests in the project. One of them, the publisher, is the one interested in promoting the source material. The rest of the stakeholders don't earn much from that.

So in conclusion, that isn't really accurate. Also continuing the anime promotes the source material way more than just doing 1 season. That is one reason why the most popular series have many seasons or are long running series.
May 12, 2016 11:07 AM

Mar 2015
bigivelfhq said:
At least is like that for now. Let's see if they change their ways in the future, I believe the author of One Punch man talked something about being interested in doing a 2nd season, though he isn't the person that decides if that is greenlit or not.
lest not forgot that OPM anime is very close with original source, and murata is slow as fuck....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 12, 2016 11:09 AM

Mar 2014
One word : MADHOUSE.
It is pretty much the only studio that doesn't do sequels even when they can. Other studios will make sequels unless it isn't succesful enough.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
May 12, 2016 11:09 AM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
bigivelfhq said:
lest not forgot that OPM anime is very close with original source, and murata is slow as fuck....

But One is the author of the series and he is way in front of where Murata is.
May 12, 2016 11:13 AM

Mar 2015
bigivelfhq said:
Kuma said:

But One is the author of the series and he is way in front of where Murata is.
it's just 2 arc in front of murata ( the second arc just finished in latest chapter) and i don't think they will overlap murata version... also note that one currently busy with mob psycho 100...
May 12, 2016 11:24 AM
Jul 2015
Tevens said:
Like the title say. enough source material. enough budget. popular enough. but why they aren't gonna make another season ?

Anime like that are having a sequel or will have a sequel.
My name is Kino.
I'm on a journey, traveling to various places.
And you are?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you feel like theaters outside of Japan should reconsider expanding screening for anime movies, do daily rerun daily screening events, etc. since not all of us are able to make it due to busy life, important matters, etc.?

WingZeroRequiem - Yesterday

32 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » should an anime be mature and/or intelligent to be considered masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

deg - Jul 29, 2022

54 by kusairo »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you find immoral anime fun to watch?

LenRea - 3 hours ago

8 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

139 by APolygons2 »»
17 minutes ago

» Do anime girls like this bite?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

8 by velvetnyan »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.