Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 10, 2012 10:02 AM

Jun 2012
Sorry i just realised that the review for guilty crown sums up SAO online perfectly.

" It seems that most of the reviews are either written by blind fan-boys/fan-girls or haters, 10's,9's,4's and 3's seem to be the popular choice of overall rating,"

This is what i see happening with SAO. and as a person who is really enjoying it but doesnt fit into the whole fanservice balls even in this thread we have already had 2 guilty crown refs

skapandi said:
None of the two.Unless you count enjoying making fun of it as a guilty pleasure.

and another
Sep 10, 2012 10:12 AM

Sep 2010
" It seems that most of the reviews are either written by blind fan-boys/fan-girls or haters, 10's,9's,4's and 3's seem to be the popular choice of overall rating,"

That sums up the ratings of all anime here. Just look at the statistical breakdown of the rating of any anime. SAO isn't special in that regard.

Sep 10, 2012 10:53 AM

Feb 2008
It's not good. It's enjoyable to some, perhaps, but a show being entertaining does not make it good. It has to stand by its own merits and SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing; furthered by the fact that the writer was only 15 years old when he worked on it.

Supremely overrated as well since a 8.66 implies that it's better than Cardcaptor Sakura, Aria the Natural, Kemono no Souja Erin, Nodame Cantabile, Katanagatari, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Utena, Planetes, Macross, Kino's Journey, Kaiji, Jin-Roh, and Evangelion. This is absolutely hilarious. People need to stop rating shows a 10 for no good reason.
Sep 10, 2012 11:20 AM

Sep 2010
It's enjoyable to some, perhaps, but a show being entertaining does not make it good. It has to stand by its own merits and SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing; furthered by the fact that the writer was only 15 years old when he worked on it.

Being entertaining is all that matters. A show is good if it is entertaining.
Technical merits is a different matter and need to be really bad to negatively impact a show but when dealing with professionals that rarely is the case.

Sep 10, 2012 12:19 PM

Jul 2010
People interpret words differently, I though Code Geass R2 was a total mess in it's writing, but I still found it fun to watch, thus I rated it high, but some people might feel the exact same way as I do and rate it low because their definition of whats 'good' is different from mine. Same could be said for SAO.
Sep 10, 2012 12:21 PM

Jan 2008
Anime_Name said:
It's enjoyable to some, perhaps, but a show being entertaining does not make it good. It has to stand by its own merits and SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing; furthered by the fact that the writer was only 15 years old when he worked on it.

Technical merits is a different matter and need to be really bad to negatively impact a show but when dealing with professionals that rarely is the case.

Yet sadly, people still can't figure that out and have to nitpick at every little detail. /sighs.
Sep 10, 2012 12:35 PM
Sep 2011
Is Harry Potter entertaining?

At first sight, it may looks like a science fiction novel, about the world of wiz, just for kids to read.

Now everyone reads them, it became the most popular books in the history, the story is quite simple and predictable, but it's catchy, entertaining. Apply it for SAO's novel.

the series is "not what the poets hoped for", nevertheless goes on to say, "but this is not poetry, it is readable, saleable, everyday, useful prose"

Most of the harry potter movies are crap compare to its origin, but pp still watch them due to heat from the novel, simple as that. Thank god there are a lot of film criticizer that keep the movie from being overrated, but that isn't the case in anime industry.

Anime_Name said:

Hate to admit, but you're right.
HibiChouchouSep 10, 2012 1:09 PM
Sep 10, 2012 1:19 PM

Apr 2011
It's a bizarre disgrace to everything in existence.
Sep 10, 2012 1:31 PM

Jun 2012
I hear SAO is guilty crown 2.0
Sep 10, 2012 1:46 PM

Jul 2012
Veronin said:
It's not good. It's enjoyable to some, perhaps, but a show being entertaining does not make it good. It has to stand by its own merits and SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing; furthered by the fact that the writer was only 15 years old when he worked on it.

Supremely overrated as well since a 8.66 implies that it's better than Cardcaptor Sakura, Aria the Natural, Kemono no Souja Erin, Nodame Cantabile, Katanagatari, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Utena, Planetes, Macross, Kino's Journey, Kaiji, Jin-Roh, and Evangelion. This is absolutely hilarious. People need to stop rating shows a 10 for no good reason.

I pretty much agree with this.

I can't lie if I said SAO wasn't enjoyable. Even if I had my rage moments at this show, it was generally very entertaining for me to watch mostly because most shows aren't about a virtual world/video game kind of thing. Yes, characterization is bad and that would bring down the score but all in all, I would keep watching it because it's interesting.

Definitely not recommending this show to anyone, but whoever's interested in a fantasy-romance-shounen-kind of thing, it's not too bad.
Sep 10, 2012 2:14 PM
Sep 2011
Veronin said:

Just to make sure, where did you get his birthday information? It seems I couldn't find "the fact" that he wrote SAO when he was 15years old as his age is hidden.
And the bolder part is not true. It is subjective, might be true to you [ "SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing "], but it does not apply for everyone else.

There's only one fact, that his novel(Accel World) was awarded a grand prize by Dengeki Novel in 2008, and you can not deny the fact that he got talents in term of writing. And after the grand prize, he was asked by his supervisor to publish SAO.

And if SAO's writing, characterization were truly awful, it wouldn't receive 6.5 millions page views on the author's website, nor it would be published. As you can see, light novel industry is a fierce competition environment, just like any other industry [ manga, anime]. If it was truly awful, it would be lost in a sea of other light novel and web novel.

There is only one fact, that the anime fails to deliver its original contents, in which the novel has succeeded.
Sep 10, 2012 2:28 PM

Jun 2012
Paul said:
Anime_Name said:

Yet sadly, people still can't figure that out and have to nitpick at every little detail. /sighs.

agreed, i feel if people have one issue with it they just cant get over they find themselves unable to see any positives in the anime = all out hatefest. Instead of going, actually the fight scenes are cool and the animation is great, some people get so fixated on one thing and ignore all the other parts.

but we are deviating a little ;)

meepsheep said:
Veronin said:

I pretty much agree with this.

I can't lie if I said SAO wasn't enjoyable. Even if I had my rage moments at this show, it was generally very entertaining for me to watch mostly because most shows aren't about a virtual world/video game kind of thing. Yes, characterization is bad and that would bring down the score but all in all, I would keep watching it because it's interesting.

Definitely not recommending this show to anyone, but whoever's interested in a fantasy-romance-shounen-kind of thing, it's not too bad.

This is what i was talking about, why would you not recommend it if you find it enjoyable & interesting?

Sep 10, 2012 2:35 PM

Jul 2012
This is what i was talking about, why would you not recommend it if you find it enjoyable & interesting?

A lot of people that I'm friends with don't even watch a lot of anime and are reluctant to "waste their time" on them. So I end up recommending only the exceptionally awesome ones to them. LOL
Sep 10, 2012 3:00 PM

Feb 2008
HibiChouchou said:
Just to make sure, where did you get his birthday information? It seems I couldn't find "the fact" that he wrote SAO when he was 15years old as his age is hidden.
And the bolder part is not true. It is subjective, might be true to you [ "SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing "], but it does not apply for everyone else.

There's only one fact, that his novel(Accel World) was awarded a grand prize by Dengeki Novel in 2008, and you can not deny the fact that he got talents in term of writing. And after the grand prize, he was asked by his supervisor to publish SAO.

And if SAO's writing, characterization were truly awful, it wouldn't receive 6.5 millions page views on the author's website, nor it would be published. As you can see, light novel industry is a fierce competition environment, just like any other industry [ manga, anime]. If it was truly awful, it would be lost in a sea of other light novel and web novel.

There is only one fact, that the anime fails to deliver its original contents, in which the novel has succeeded.

Whether Accel World is a decent product or not I wouldn't know (I put it on-hold after a few episodes and haven't read the novels) but regardless, that's an entirely different series and has nothing to do with SAO's quality. SAO was first published in 2002 while Accel World was published in 2009, seven years later. It's not much of a surprise then that his writing quality improved.

As for your other argument:
"And if SAO's writing, characterization were truly awful, it wouldn't receive 6.5 millions page views on the author's website, nor it would be published."
This is an appeal to majority. Something being popular does not mean that it's automatically a high-quality product, unless you want to argue that Twilight, Bleach, and Jersey Shore are masterpieces. Something also does not need to be of high quality to be published either, considering how many poorly written novels and light novels there are in the market. No, it was likely picked up because it already had a decent following and had the potential to sell well, which indeed it did. I have no problem with this; people are free to have their own tastes and enjoy whatever they want. The problem, rather, exists when people try to treat the SAO anime as something of high quality or something that deserves to be praised, in spite of its issues and in favor of arbitrary qualities such as how enjoyable or 'epic' it is.

It's not absolutely devoid of merit however, since qualities such as the soundtrack, animation, and setting stand out, but the inherent value of SAO is nowhere near being 'good'. You're free to explain why if you think otherwise but I don't think there's much that can be defended in the atrocity that is the anime.
Sep 10, 2012 3:07 PM

Oct 2011
Shuhan said:
I hear SAO is guilty crown 2.0

Both have poor characterization and plot, but I actually find SAO to be at least more entertaining as it's mostly just straight-up MMO action. Guilty Crown was a borefest because it had all this political BS that I usually loathe in sci-fi/mecha anime unless the plot was actually interesting.
Veronin said:

Whether Accel World is a decent product or not I wouldn't know (I put it on-hold after a few episodes and haven't read the novels) but regardless, that's an entirely different series and has nothing to do with SAO's quality. SAO was first published in 2002 while Accel World was published in 2009, seven years later. It's not much of a surprise then that his writing quality improved.
It takes place in the same universe as SAO, just a few decades later when Neuro Linkers are used instead of Nerve Gears. There's even a crossover between the novels where they fight (haven't read it though). It's just as wish-fulfillment as SAO, except this time the protagonist (Haruyuki) is a fat beta, pretty much the opposite of Kirito.
KefkirothSep 10, 2012 3:15 PM
Sep 10, 2012 3:21 PM
May 2012
Anime_Name said:

HibiChouchou said:
Hate to admit, but you're right.

Fun (in your case entertaining) is just a buzzword when you can't actually think of any real reasons as to why the anime is good, don't use it.

Either way, being amused or entertained with something and being immersed are not the same thing.
wwwwwSep 10, 2012 3:35 PM
Sep 10, 2012 3:22 PM
Sep 2011
Veronin said:

You seem to mistake here, it was not published in 2002, but it was just written as a web novel after the author refused to publish it as a short novel with 120pages long. And in 2009, it was published, this time by Dengeki Bunko.

In mean time, he improved his writing, by receiving a lot of positive comments, which made him keep on writing, here's the author's note:

You seem to misunderstand my point either, popularity does not equal to masterpiece. I'm not saying that Twilight, Bleach, and Jersey Shore are masterpieces, cause I don't like them either, but they must have something to make them become popular, which refers to the taste of majority.

I just disagree when you said :"SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing". Cause obviously it's a subjective matter, which also depends on personal perspective.

And for the anime, here's my quote:

Anime is a bad adaption, but the novel itself has nothing to do with it. Adaptions are not and never will be equal to its origin.
HibiChouchouSep 10, 2012 3:29 PM
Sep 10, 2012 3:55 PM

Feb 2008
HibiChouchou said:
You seem to mistake here, it was not published in 2002, but it was just written as a web novel after the author refused to publish it as a short novel with 120pages long. And in 2009, it was published again, this time by Dengeki Bunko.

In mean time, he improved his writing, by receive a lot of positive comments, which made him keep on writing, here's the author's note:

You seem to misunderstand my point, popularity does not equal to masterpiece. I'm not saying that Twilight, Bleach, and Jersey Shore are masterpieces, cause I don't like them either, but they must have something to make them become popular, which refers to the taste of majority.

I just disagree when you said :"SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing".

And for the anime, here's my quote:

Anime is a bad adaption, but the novel itself has nothing to do with it.

I made a small mistake by using the term "published" for both, but the fact remains that SAO was written seven full years before Accel World, giving the author plenty of time to improve his writing as you said. This improvement, however, has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of SAO. Him becoming a better writer does not change the quality of his past works; it's an argument that only works in defense of Accel World which I never brought up anywhere in my posts. To clarify, I was never directly insulting the author -- only Sword Art Online. Maybe he improved and perhaps Accel World is a legitimately good piece of writing, but either way it's irrelevant.

No, you were directly conflating the popularity of the series with its inherent quality. You said that if the characterization and writing were truly awful, it would never have received so many hits nor would it have been published. This is false. You're backpedaling now to replace it with a superficially similar argument of taste instead, and though I don't necessarily disagree, it still changes nothing about the quality of the writing and characterization. Indeed, many people like and enjoy SAO, which is shown plenty even on MAL with threads such as this or the episode discussion, but their tastes do not change the quality of the anime.

For example, could you possibly defend Kirito as a character in the anime and call him well-written? His personality goes all over the place depending on what's most convenient for the situation and depending on who he talks to, his goals can completely change as well. He's also ridiculously overpowered (though to be fair the 'beater' experience gives it the slightest bit of reason) and can wipe the floor with almost every opponent and boss by nature of being over a dozen levels higher than everybody else. In episode 9, there's a small hint of difficulty for him but then he receives an overpowered skill from nowhere which leads him defeat the entire boss by himself. A great example of the poor writing found in the series, being that this is actually a case of deus ex machina. This overpowered nature also undermines the theme of the series and removes all tension, since you know that he and Asuna will always prevail in the end thanks to plot armor. Kirito essentially amounts to wish-fulfillment for the audience, devoid of any interesting or well-written qualities.

The way the drama is handled in the anime is also atrocious. A great example of this would be episode 7 which revolved around Lisbeth and her relationship going from complete strangers to deep love in the span of about 10 minutes, with some of the most laughably cliche and contrived situations possible. It defied any sense of reason or proper character development and the way in which it expected you to empathize with her and feel bad at the end of the episode was just silly. It was a cheap way to elicit emotion from the viewer, though this episode is mainly flawed as a result of the horrendous pacing.

Other issues include Asuna's and Kirito's relationship with each other, with all development or attachment being the result of timeskip and the viewer expecting them to have grown closer in the time that was never shown or explained in the story. Also, characters being almost (or even completely) forgotten after their initial episode, in particular Silicia and Lisbeth. What function or purpose did these episodes serve?

SAO is not a good anime.
Sep 10, 2012 3:57 PM

Aug 2012
SAO is just that good.

The characters, plot, animation, everything about it makes it a superb anime. There is some fanservice but all anime's now a days have some of this in one way or another.
Sep 10, 2012 4:11 PM
May 2012
OtakuInochi said:
SAO is just that good.

The characters, plot, animation, everything about it makes it a superb anime. There is some fanservice but all anime's now a days have some of this in one way or another.

But that's wrong.

The characters are terrible. In one episode Liz fell in love with Kirito and wanted to have sex with him and Asuna and Kirito's character development is retarded.

The plot isn't original so that's not a positive thing.

The animation is mediocre at best considering every fight scene has pauses in it so they can save money.

The music is decent but easily forgettable.
Sep 10, 2012 4:14 PM
Sep 2011
Veronin said:

As for clear, I am not defending the anime.

With seven years given, the quality of his past works have changed dramatically thanks to positive comments from the web-reader, as it allows him to write fluently, and smoother.He could change and modify his past works as it wasn't published until 2009. And when they published it, it would be at least slightly different from his past work 7 years ago. I'm not mentioning about AW being improved here, I just want to use the fact that he has talents and use the grand prize award for AW as a reference/proof.

Now back to your phrase :"SAO is absolutely awful in terms of characterization and writing"

You mean you're arguing about the anime version? If so, then I agree. But you stated "SAO" in general, it can be used for both anime and the novel. I am defending the novel, but not the anime.. In terms of quality, the novel is much, much better than the anime.

Actually, I'd like to link to this blog as it analyses the differences in character developments, and the comparison between anime/novel, only in episode 3,4 though, it will probably gives you a clearer view about this anime,which is not a good adaption compared to the origin:
http://myanimelist.net/blog/s2012k1993

HibiChouchouSep 10, 2012 4:38 PM
Sep 10, 2012 6:59 PM

Jul 2010
What made me watch and like SAO is the concept of futuristic evolution of MMORPGs. I have played an MMORPG once and because of SAO, it boomed my interest to play MMOs again. I really want to play SAO (hoping of being still alive when similar game as SAO will be released :D).

I also have this hesitant feeling of recommending it to other anime fans who don't have the MMO experience. I'll just have to say "it's an MMORPG theme anime, you can give it a try". :)
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
Sep 10, 2012 7:45 PM

Jan 2012
hatahari said:
What made me watch and like SAO is the concept of futuristic evolution of MMORPGs. I have played an MMORPG once and because of SAO, it boomed my interest to play MMOs again. I really want to play SAO (hoping of being still alive when similar game as SAO will be released :D).

I also have this hesitant feeling of recommending it to other anime fans who don't have the MMO experience. I'll just have to say "it's an MMORPG theme anime, you can give it a try". :)

yeah same i've played MMO's for a long time now and i can relate to alot of the stuff in SAO, but i think by the time i'm able to play a game like SAO i'll be
:(
Sep 10, 2012 8:41 PM
Sep 2011
OtakuInochi said:
SAO is just that good.

How is any of that true? The characters (gary and mary) are very trite, and the plot is just awful. So far every arc has been someone gets hurt because MC hides his power level, then MC solo's something/someone and saves the day.

Granted the in sanctuary player death arc was a bit interesting, and that cliff hanger was pretty good, but it was tied up horrendously.
AenonimosSep 10, 2012 8:44 PM
Semper Fi
Sep 11, 2012 1:50 AM

Jun 2012
Aenonimos said:
OtakuInochi said:
SAO is just that good.

How is any of that true? The characters (gary and mary) are very trite, and the plot is just awful. So far every arc has been someone gets hurt because MC hides his power level, then MC solo's something/someone and saves the day.

Granted the in sanctuary player death arc was a bit interesting, and that cliff hanger was pretty good, but it was tied up horrendously.

Every heard of the term grinding? haha, maybe MMO players are the only people to have the patience to watch it. Hell if you dont like it watch it. simple as.

I dont believe i should have to defend SAO or for liking it, but i will explain why i am finding it enjoyable ( pretty much the same thing, but then i feel like less of a fanboy lol). Indeed the characterisation is lack luster and the plot moves like a freight train with no breaks, but you know what sometimes its nice to have an anime that you can zone out to. I find SAO perfect for that, the artwork is fantastic and the world is beautiful. The fight scenes dont fail to disappoint ( opposed to the 5 episode long bleach fillers which seem to want to spend and hour explaining it, an hour of Ichigo getting his ass handed to him, then 10 seconds where suddenly he overcomes insurmountable odds and wins, or just loses, then comes back a few episode later to totally outclass his opponent.) Sorry went on a tangent there.

Also there was a complaint about by Hilus about the development of the relationship between the two main characters, which to be honest i found more believable than most anime relationships which end up being stupidly long and dragged out, the couple blushing everytime they brush hands.

I dont know about you but the romanticised version of relationships portrayed in anime is so stupidly over the top that when the couple just want to have sex it actually makes it more believable. I dont know about you but at the age of 18 ( which is how old they would be by the last few episode.) most couples wont beat around the bush.
also

I am not claiming SAO to be an epic or and incredibly intellectual anime, but it has enough to enjoy about it to keep me watching each week, and actually i find some of it more believable than other anime, oddly. Lol. Also Hilus you have K-on listed as one of your favourite anime, another one that is considered terribly overrated. So for your whole profile to be a hate train about SAO is a bit hypocritical. If you don't like it ok, but don't berate people for having a different opinion.
XRSep 11, 2012 2:11 AM
Sep 11, 2012 2:00 AM

May 2012
Walls........of text.
Sep 11, 2012 2:09 AM

Jun 2012
-Atomsk- said:
Walls........of text.

three words of useless input...
Sep 11, 2012 2:29 AM
Sep 2011
-Atomsk- said:
Walls........of text.

It's a discussion where people respect each other's opinion
Sep 11, 2012 2:32 AM

Jul 2011
HibiChouchou said:
-Atomsk- said:
Walls........of text.

I see what you did there.

Sep 11, 2012 3:00 AM

Jun 2012
HibiChouchou said:
-Atomsk- said:
Walls........of text.

bwhahahahah :p
Sep 11, 2012 3:17 AM

Apr 2012
I'm not here to write a long detailed explanation of the pros and cons of this show. That's not what I do haha. I just enjoy watching anime. From that stand point, I just believe that this show is one of the best that I have watched! I may have only started watching anime seriously in the last 6-7 months but I have watched ALOT in that short time period ( which may be bad as I look back...lol ). But this series caught my interest in the first episode and now I CANNOT wait for the next episode to come out! ( I am not a fan of watching currently airing anime btw lol ). But for this show I will make an exception! It is an amazing show!
Sep 11, 2012 3:51 AM

Aug 2009
In a story where the MC is the strongest,not because of fate or random encounters/power ups,people are bitching about him being able to save everybody when he isnt able to save everyone.Not talking only about Sachi.
Then they bitch about the sudden development of his relationship with the female MC when they already knew each other for MONTHS not a few eps.
Characters that were introduced for nothing:It actually is the MC's development.Or the unthinkable:Maybe if you think about it, those characters will appear again?

What else?
Arguing about the non existent ecchi scenes.If you think that SAO has ecchi(especialy forced ones) scenes til now then you need a girlfriend asap.Or you just learned what the word means but havent watched enough ecchi anime(or any at all).
Sex-Did it happen?I am not going to say anything about that cause is meaningless whether it happened or not.Those that are butthurt because Asuna is "kinky" go join 2chan.

pos:
Story,visuals,music,chars
cons:
pace,those that bash on it(and other anime)because it's cool.

tl;dr This and lots of other anime would be better if everyone who obviously has a profession in the anime industry didnt storm the forums.
Sep 11, 2012 4:09 AM
Jan 2012
ssjokg said:
In a story where the MC is the strongest,not because of fate or random encounters/power ups,people are bitching about him being able to save everybody when he isnt able to save everyone.Not talking only about Sachi.
Then they bitch about the sudden development of his relationship with the female MC when they already knew each other for MONTHS not a few eps.
Characters that were introduced for nothing:It actually is the MC's development.Or the unthinkable:Maybe if you think about it, those characters will appear again?

What else?
Arguing about the non existent ecchi scenes.If you think that SAO has ecchi(especialy forced ones) scenes til now then you need a girlfriend asap.Or you just learned what the word means but havent watched enough ecchi anime(or any at all).
Sex-Did it happen?I am not going to say anything about that cause is meaningless whether it happened or not.Those that are butthurt because Asuna is "kinky" go join 2chan.

pos:
cons:

tl;dr This and lots of other anime would be better if everyone who obviously has a profession in the anime industry didnt storm the forums.

What SOA anime has a story? The LN undoubtedly yes. but the anime has clearly none.
good visuals yes.
good music? It was nothing special. ordinary at best.
chars. What chars, I can't hardly see any other character aside from the main one's.

If everyone agrees then it wouldn't be interesting,.
Sep 11, 2012 4:11 AM

Jun 2012
ssjokg said:

What else?

pos:
cons:

nicely said. No anime is immune to criticism, but i feel SAO is getting unwarranted stick, be that because of the crazy fanbase who think its the best anime ever, or the trolls who go through then forum looking for posts in which to bash it i do not know, but both feed off eachother and make the situation worse.
Sep 11, 2012 4:12 AM
Aug 2012
Axeria said:
ssjokg said:

What else?

pos:
cons:

What SOA anime has a story? The LN undoubtedly yes. but the anime has clearly none.
good visuals yes.
chars. What chars, I can't hardly see any other character aside from the main one's.

Story:

Boy gets trapped in a video game, has to reach floor 100 on the way out without dying, picks up a waifu on the way.

Saying the anime has no story when it is based off the LN is the biggest troll comment in awhile, especially after saying the LN had a story...

Read what you type pl0x.
Sep 11, 2012 4:26 AM

Aug 2009
Axeria said:
ssjokg said:

What else?

pos:
cons:

good visuals yes.

Where the anime fails is the pace and some omitted/altered scenes.The story is the same fucking thing.
If every ost in every anime was "epic" then everything would be the same.Being ordinary doednt mean it's bad.
As for the chars........
EVEN IN THE LN THE ONES YOU,THE READER, FOLLOW ARE ASUNA AND KIRITO.And Shinon and Yuuki later.Whats your point?Cause I see none.
Sep 11, 2012 4:41 AM
Sep 2011
The anime is just failed as an adaption, problem solved.
If it got better later, well ... it's another story.
Sep 11, 2012 4:43 AM

Jun 2012
HibiChouchou said:

thats taking it from the POV of someone who has read the LN, in contrast i havent, so I am blissfully ignorant to its shortcomings in that respect. I tend not to buy managa/lns, i just spend too much money. i had to divert myself from comic book stores for that very reason. Also i dont feel comfy stealing from a already crippled industry.
Sep 11, 2012 4:45 AM

Aug 2009
HibiChouchou said:

Good/bad adaption=/=good/bad anime.

I am pretty sure those that bash on it hard dont really care if it's a good or bad adaption.
Sep 11, 2012 4:49 AM

Jan 2012
I've seen a lot of anime,and I agree this is the best one so far this year.Might be a guilty pleasure but it's awesome
Sep 11, 2012 4:51 AM

Jun 2012
ssjokg said:
HibiChouchou said:

I am pretty sure those that bash on it hard dont really care if it's a good or bad adaption.

i think people who read the LN's / manga tend to have very different opinions in regards to the anime they spawn.
Sep 11, 2012 5:03 AM

Aug 2009
XR said:
ssjokg said:
HibiChouchou said:

i think people who read the LN's / manga tend to have very different opinions in regards to the anime they spawn.

I read the LN but I still enjoy the anime.If the adaption is bad and makes the anime bad too then I will say it with passion(Umineko,Fate/stay night).But if I can enjoy it even if it fails when compared with the original why should I say that it's bad.

Surely if the studio responsible decides to change or omit many scenes I will be butthurt(see Fate/Zero)but if as an whole the anime is entertaining I just have to say this in future posts/recommendations:"The anime is good/great and enjoyable but the novel is even better" .
Sep 11, 2012 5:17 AM
Jan 2012
ssjokg said:
XR said:
ssjokg said:
HibiChouchou said:

I read the LN but I still enjoy the anime.If the adaption is bad and makes the anime bad too then I will say it with passion(Umineko,Fate/stay night).But if I can enjoy it even if it fails when compared with the original why should I say that it's bad.

Surely if the studio responsible decides to change or omit many scenes I will be butthurt(see Fate/Zero)but if as an whole the anime is entertaining I just have to say this in future posts/recommendations:"The anime is good/great and enjoyable but the novel is even better" .

I've been bashing on SAO ever since I became active here again. but I really cared about it's adaptations. though I've been bashing it. it'll be a lie to say that I didn't enjoy the anime. I enjoyed it but not as to be expected. It's really disappointing on how things are going but I still can't be too sure since it hasn't ended and it hasn't even aired half of the episodes 10/25. I just enjoyed bashing it.
with that I wan't to bash the anime more.

Sep 11, 2012 5:48 AM
Sep 2011
ssjokg said:
HibiChouchou said:

Yeap, it's a bad adaption, but I do enjoy the anime, it's watchable. Not too great, but it isn't bad either.

I knew that the anime would be rushed when squeezing 4vol in 25episode ( rushing is mainly the case for lack of details, poor story developments). So I'm gonna keeping that in mind and enjoy what the anime tends to deliver.

XR said:
HibiChouchou said:

thats taking it from the POV of someone who has read the LN, in contrast i havent, so I am blissfully ignorant to its shortcomings in that respect. I tend not to buy managa/lns, i just spend too much money. i had to divert myself from comic book stores for that very reason. Also i dont feel comfy stealing from a already crippled industry.

So you mean you don't want to download anime without spending money?(as your action takes a part in keeping the entertainment industry alive, and I respect that). Well originally SAO was a web novel for free reading. It was licensed in 2009 though. I guess people have different purpose and way to live in life. I can't afford any dvd/bd disc cause they are too expensive, so most of the time I just get them on the internet =/ ...
HibiChouchouSep 11, 2012 6:03 AM
Sep 11, 2012 6:09 AM

Jun 2012
HibiChouchou said:
ssjokg said:
HibiChouchou said:

Yeap, it's a bad adaption, but I do enjoy the anime, it's watchable. Not too great, but it isn't bad either.

I knew that the anime would be rushed when squeezing 4vol in 25episode ( rushing is mainly the case for lack of details, poor story developments). So I'm gonna keeping that in mind and enjoy what the anime tends to deliver.

XR said:
HibiChouchou said:

So you mean you don't want to download anime without spending money?(as your action takes a part in keeping the entertainment industry alive, and I respect that). Well originally SAO was a web novel for free reading. It was licensed in 2009 though. I guess people have different purpose and way to live in life. I can't afford any dvd/bd disc cause they are too expensive, so most of the time I just get them on the internet =/ ...

The anime industry is the one industry i try to avoid pirated material. Also tbh most animes are available free to stream anyways so it isnt too much of an issue. Animes artists are some of the most underpaid people i have ever met ( having met a few at university who were studying abroad.) Kind of gave me an insight into the anime world. I suppose there are digital means by which to read manga which would be cheaper. But i tend to not like reading on a computer screen. I'm a bit traditional like that.
Sep 11, 2012 6:11 AM
Jul 2012
When it's the main plot it's not horrible enough to make you cringe throughout the entire episode like the retarded side stories or other bad anime like guilty crown did, so it somewhat makes time pass fast

Otherwise it's not good at all in every way, no reason to care for these horrible characters or the horrible execution of a decent premise. It's laughable how some people here said that the low score were "haters" and they didn't matter. SAO is a bad shounen that relies on various tropes that we've seen a lot, but executes them horribly. All those random fanboys only like it because it's "that new action show", they think the story got something going for it but it's not at all, and those people won't make the difference with other similar shows that suceed to make you care. This is coming from someone who loves anime such as DBZ, CG, TTGL, etc.
Sep 11, 2012 6:28 AM

Jul 2011
Tarextherex said:
When it's the main plot it's not horrible enough to make you cringe throughout the entire episode like the retarded side stories or other bad anime like guilty crown did, so it somewhat makes time pass fast

Otherwise it's not good at all in every way, no reason to care for these horrible characters or the horrible execution of a decent premise. It's laughable how some people here said that the low score were "haters" and they didn't matter. SAO is a bad shounen that relies on various tropes that we've seen a lot, but executes them horribly. All those random fanboys only like it because it's "that new action show", they think the story got something going for it but it's not at all, and those people won't make the difference with other similar shows that suceed to make you care. This is coming from someone who loves anime such as DBZ, CG, TTGL, etc.

I'd like to ask you seriously, how was the premise horribly executed?

Sep 11, 2012 6:54 AM

Aug 2009
Tarextherex said:

It's funny that those that rate it high are called fanboys but those that rate it low cant be called haters.Because anyone who does like a show MUST BE a fanboy.

And "this show is full of overused elements" is getting too cliche itself.

I have news for you.It's 2012 and anime are running out of new ideas since the end of 1999.And SAO was written in 2002.When a story happens to have a new or not so overused tropes it isnt always turn out positive.See Emiya Kiritusu
.A lot of viewers didnt like that failure of a hero.
Then there is the other side.A characters that is very good, nobody says that he is the same as the overly used MCs we see BUT it happens to remind them of characters from great anime(like LoTGH or whatever) so they are a "direct rippoff".

So you better stop watching any future anime cause you will see a lot of "overused" plots and characters.
ssjokgSep 11, 2012 7:50 AM
Sep 11, 2012 7:43 AM

Jun 2012
This is exactly what i was talking about. It seems you either need to love it to the point of fanatical devotion, or hate it. Gah.

Agreed though. People bitch about regurgitated ideas, i havent personally watched and anime of this theme before, so to me its new. Also it was written in 2002...Kind of around the time MMO's started getting popular and 2 years before wow. So actually one could argue this was somewhat ahead of the curve when it was written. "covers head from incoming shower of abuse"
XRSep 11, 2012 9:11 AM
Sep 11, 2012 9:08 AM
Jul 2012
Execution is bad because it turns to a fucking pseudo harem shit about horribly bland characters. The plot about the guy taking his players hostage isn't worth anything atm, it doesn't progress with all the drama and thriller you would normally expect. The links between MMO and reality are shallow as shit and poorly bringed into consideration, watch .hack//SIGN for that. Basically, SAO is another harem/action/romance that had a potentially good setting, but it's ruined by it's horrible characterisation. The "overused elements" aren't really that of a bad thing in itself, but it's dumb how people would say that SAO is good because of those elements that made other shows great, while it's not. Biggest exemple is the "chemistry" between Kirito and Asuna, this one is pretty retarded as fuck.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Best anime ? ( 1 2 )

inthelovedotorg - Jun 11

90 by OtakuShayan871 »»
30 minutes ago

» Can someone explain?

infinite_Shadows - Jun 3

19 by nasralkhatib »»
Jun 8, 12:23 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1446 by kosarzek »»
Jun 6, 7:11 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

74 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 4, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2012

1269 by Hesmiyu »»
Jun 4, 7:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.