Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 29, 2013 7:56 PM

Apr 2011
I'm watching movies right now and this one has the best score, it was very intriguing to me since I disliked the few episodes I watched from the first season, it was just horrible to me.
Should I really make a effort to finish the series or the movie isn't going to change anything in respect of its universe?
Jul 29, 2013 7:59 PM

Nov 2008
If you like Nagato then go for it. xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jul 30, 2013 3:03 PM
Jul 2012
Watch the series more. If you watched the movie now than you will be way confused.
Jul 30, 2013 3:25 PM

Mar 2012
Tormented said:
I'm watching movies right now and this one has the best score, it was very intriguing to me since I disliked the few episodes I watched from the first season, it was just horrible to me.
Should I really make a effort to finish the series or the movie isn't going to change anything in respect of its universe?

Its something your just going to have to endure, to get the most out of the film all of season 1, and season 2 (though you can skip and just watch the beginning and end of endless 8).
For me personally I thought the series was pretty average, with some good moments. The film however is one of my all time favorites, so I guess that says quite a bit about the film.
Aug 14, 2013 4:32 PM
Feb 2013
Movie > First Season > Second Season

The movie is a masterpiece, no doubt about that. - I rated it: 10

The First Season is special, I mean, how everything begins is just awesome. - I rated it: 9

The Second Season(hated by many people for the famous Endless Eight Arc, I find it somehow interesting, if you don't have patience don't bother to watch all the 8 episodes, I watched all of them cause I liked the "Alternative Setting"and some other things that I don't tell cause are probably considered as spoiler. - I rated it: 8

Well, I could really answer to you if you will like the movie only after ending the First Season, but it has no sense at all in that time...

Oh, I watched all of them recently.
CheatrealAug 15, 2013 12:16 AM
Aug 19, 2013 11:42 PM
Jun 2013
I've just finished Season 1, Season 2, and the movie.

I would really recommend you to watch this movie, and just like others have mentioned, watching the previous seasons is required to get the full sense of the movie. Season 2 is basically 28 episodes (re-air of 14 episodes from Season 1 and with some new content placed in between those 14 episodes. Endless Eight can be skipped if you don't want to watch 8 episode of basically the same thing with tiny difference) and you can just watch all 28 episodes instead of watching season 1. After Watching those 28 episodes, I would recommend watching the movie.

Skip down to 2009 version to understand what I meant by the 28 episodes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes
Sep 1, 2013 5:16 PM

Jan 2013
Yes, it is amazing.
KYOANI, WHERE THE HELL IS SEASON 3?
Oct 12, 2013 9:04 PM
Oct 2012
the movie is good. just make sure you understand the importance of the endless eight as i will describe below.

the only thing relevant in the endless eight is the fact that nagato repeated 2 weeks about 15,000 times. the amounts to about 575 years of repetition of witch she remembers it all and can not do anything about. this drives her to develop feelings of frustration, anger, lonely, ext. these emotions are amplified and the results are shown in the disappearance of haruhi suzumia. it was needed to make the viewer experience what nagato was going through so you love and understand the movie in more depth. there was a reason for endless eight. you do not have to watch it all just understand the above.
Nov 2, 2013 11:15 AM

Sep 2013
Its not that great, better than the shitty show but its still not really worth watching and its boring.
Nov 3, 2013 2:27 PM

Jul 2011
It's a BIG mistake watch it without finish the tv series.
Nov 7, 2013 8:53 AM

Jun 2013
I'll tell you what I told my friend not too long ago. Haruhi Suzumiya is a really good anime, and I would suggest watching it. However, if you get a few episodes in and you're not really feeling it, keep watching. Watch all the way to the end, so you can get a full appreciation of Disappearance, which is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's an absolute masterpiece. Yes, you should watch this movie haha
Nov 7, 2013 9:11 AM

Jul 2013
If u watch more episodes (and probably skip the endless 8. If u didn't like a few episodes from the first season, then when u get to the second season u will HATE the endless 8 on there) then yes u should watch it. Its a bit long, but well worth it. Best anime movie imo atm.
Jan 2, 2014 12:13 PM
Jun 2012
This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Period. Not just anime-movie.

So... yes, I would recommend it. But finish the series. If you really don't like the characters at all, then I'd say don't bother. You'll just build resentment for the show and end up hating it disproportionally to its objective quality.

-Arvis
Feb 21, 2014 11:04 PM

Dec 2013
Arvis_Jaggamar said:
This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Period. Not just anime-movie.

So... yes, I would recommend it. But finish the series. If you really don't like the characters at all, then I'd say don't bother. You'll just build resentment for the show and end up hating it disproportionally to its objective quality.

-Arvis

dang guess ill probably be dropping the series then. The only reason I started watching it was because this movie got such a good score but I can barely make it through episodes without turning it off
Feb 24, 2014 7:01 AM
Jun 2012
Sounds like it's just not your thing, then.

-Arvis
Feb 24, 2014 7:08 AM

Nov 2013
If you didn't at least like the characters in the series then you wouldn't like this movie. Also what DarknessOfEmo said, you wouldn't know what was happening.
May 2, 2014 9:25 PM

Mar 2014
melancholyx3 said:
Endless Eight can be skipped if you don't want to watch 8 episode of basically the same thing with tiny difference)
Endless 8 is a necessary evil that really brings to light Nagato's character development. Even if you do not like it I would recommend that you watch it to fully appreciate the movie.
But that's just one opinion.
May 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Dec 2012
The series is superb, all of it. Endless 8 is essential if you really want to accept all of what this amazing series has to offer. it is not easy ,,the first time but I assure you if it works for you, you will watching it again and again.

the movie is one of the best anime films yet made, essentially fantastic, and can be enjoyed by itself or with the series, it is that good. Do not miss it.

Jul 5, 2014 9:42 PM

Jun 2014
the movie surpasses the series, so you should

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.