Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 4, 2016 6:29 PM
Nov 2011
Is it slow? Dragon Ball Z tier?
May 4, 2016 8:06 PM

Jan 2014
It starts out average (2 chapters per episode) for the first few 100 hundred episodes with relatively less fillers than other titles, then it slows down to 1 chapter per episode at around the 400 episode mark, then it becomes more inconsistent and at some points slower.
It is currently at one of the slowest paces with about 0.7 chapter per episode.

It generally comes off better than DBZ even with the same pace because the show tends to have more content per chapter than DBZ.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 4, 2016 8:26 PM

Oct 2014
Its super slow. 1 episode = 1 chapter.
May 4, 2016 11:08 PM

May 2016
Very slow. Just as slow, if not a bit slower, than DBZ's pacing.

Manga's faster, but that one often has slow pacing too. Still not as slow as this, imo.
May 5, 2016 1:06 AM

Dec 2012
It's terrible. Slower than most long running battle anime. And I heard it got even worse currently which is honestly hard to believe an even worse pacing than the beginning.
May 5, 2016 1:59 AM

Nov 2008
Worse than Naruto?
May 5, 2016 3:38 AM

Apr 2014
One Piece adapt 795 chapter in 739 episode.
ZettaiRyouiki said:
Worse than Naruto?
Naruto adapt more or less 670 chapter in 678 episode.
May 5, 2016 6:11 AM

Nov 2010
tr1ckst3r said:
ZettaiRyouiki said:
Worse than Naruto?

Yeah, but Naruto has like 10x more filler, so the pacing of canon material is actually okay and much better than One Piece. Shippuuden's pacing was horrible for the first two arcs, then it was amazing around itachi arc and now it's okay for the most part.

One Piece is just a downward spiral
May 5, 2016 6:22 AM

Apr 2014
Dahaka_ said:
tr1ckst3r said:

Yeah, but Naruto has like 10x more filler, so the pacing of canon material is actually okay and much better than One Piece. Shippuuden's pacing was horrible for the first two arcs, then it was amazing around itachi arc and now it's okay for the most part.

One Piece is just a downward spiral
Not really, Naruto canon episode pacing is also slow, it had an average of 2 chapter per episode, One Piece did adapt less than 2 chapter but the amount of content a One Piece chapter had is enough to make up for it.
If there's a difference between Naruto and One Piece pace it would be Naruto keep that pace up until now while One Piece is gradually getting slower.
tr1ckst3rMay 5, 2016 7:20 AM
May 5, 2016 4:20 PM
Nov 2011
So would you prefer it to be slow pace or to be a good pace with a lot of filler?
May 6, 2016 12:02 AM

Dec 2012
egoplant said:
So would you prefer it to be slow pace or to be a good pace with a lot of filler?

Filler of course. You can skip filler but you can't skip bad pacing.

Some people play One Piece on 1.2x speed LOL
May 6, 2016 12:51 PM
Mar 2014
tsudecimo said:
egoplant said:

I agree, you can say what you want but the pace becomes unbearable 6-8mins of intro plus 3-4 mins of stuff they have already show it's like 15mins before the episode even starts, so there is like 10 mins left ... and let's not talk about their fetish of showing the same scene and buildings again and again.
May 6, 2016 1:00 PM

Nov 2010
Lust said:
tsudecimo said:

I agree, you can say what you want but the pace becomes unbearable 6-8mins of intro plus 3-4 mins of stuff they have already show it's like 15mins before the episode even starts, so there is like 10 mins left ... and let's not talk about their fetish of showing the same scene and buildings again and again.

Whether you have 15 minutes of new material + recaps and intros, or whole 25 mnutes of new material - there's no difference, because you still get the same amount of content.

With 1 chapter per episode pacing I would be fine if there was 15 minutes of recap and 10 minutes of actual new content, because at least the pacing of that new content would be good.

So the long ass recaps and a pointless intro aren't really the problem here.
May 6, 2016 1:08 PM
Mar 2014
@Dahaka_
The point is that it becomes realy annoying and i rather have filler episodes (not in Naruto style ofcourse)

Also for me there is a big difference between 15mins of new material and 25mins.
May 6, 2016 2:34 PM

Nov 2010
@Lust
There's not if it's 1 chapter per episode pacing.

15 or 25 you still progress the story by the same amount,

I mean, yes, there is a big difference. 15 minutes of new material is actually better, because it's not dragged out to be 25 min long
May 6, 2016 2:36 PM
Mar 2014
Dahaka_ said:
@Lust
There's not if it's 1 chapter per episode pacing.

15 or 25 you still progress the story by the same amount,

I mean, yes, there is a big difference. 15 minutes of new material is actually better, because it's not dragged out to be 25 min long

It's even worse when you have 15mins of dragged out episodes like it currently is.
May 6, 2016 2:43 PM

Nov 2010
but it's still better than having the same amount of story take 25 minutes, because then it is even more dragged
May 6, 2016 6:32 PM

Nov 2009
Super slow, skipping some parts is a must at this point. I don't like reading shounen battle manga, so I won't drop the anime, but it's basically: the good parts are very exciting, the rest is excruciatingly slow.
I also think One Piece suffers from giving too much spotlight to minor characters. Sometimes full episodes to someone that I couldn't care less about... oh man. Feels like the main story is going nowhere.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
May 7, 2016 11:58 AM

Apr 2009
some of these comments i doubt even watch the anime cause they are beyond stupid the pacing was fine until the recent arc , and you can skip OP,END and into and its fine

before the recent arc the pacing was good and they keep to manga which is also good
May 7, 2016 11:58 AM

Apr 2009
tsudecimo said:
It's terrible. Slower than most long running battle anime. And I heard it got even worse currently which is honestly hard to believe an even worse pacing than the beginning.

what BS its literally the same as naruto and the same as DBZ

Lust said:
tsudecimo said:

so skip it and theirs no issue..
May 7, 2016 12:10 PM
Mar 2014
@AForgottenSoul
Yeah basically i'm forced to skip 90% of each episode to be able to enjoy the episode sounds legit.
May 7, 2016 5:25 PM

Apr 2009
Lust said:
@AForgottenSoul
Yeah basically i'm forced to skip 90% of each episode to be able to enjoy the episode sounds legit.

ive always skipped the OP is not exactly a new thing
May 8, 2016 12:09 PM

Dec 2012
AForgottenSoul said:
tsudecimo said:

what BS its literally the same as naruto and the same as DBZ

You must be one of those that watch one piece with increased speed 1.2x if you really think it's the same pacing as Naruto. Either that or you have no idea what pacing means.
May 8, 2016 1:57 PM
Aug 2015
^But... It is the same pace as Naruto.
You could skip filler in Naruto and so does One Piece, you can skip the random dressrosaian running, close up shot of someone face and what not and enjoy the canon content with proper pacing. The only reason OP is still bearable is because ToeI didn't had the guts yet to even lay a hand on the canon content save for a certain moment(Usopp-Sugar long range fight) and always deliver especially if it's an important scene e.g G4, Sabo Fire fist, Kaido intro, Hakuba and a lot more.

You clearly didn't watch OP if you seriously think people actually watch it in 1.2x speed.
The trend in OP is mostly 'nothing happened in the first half, and canon content start in the second half' and again save for a certain episode with decent canon content the whole episode.
The snail pace ruin the canon content rarely apply to OP because OP snail pace isn't about extending a scene but more about random padding, awkward pause and close up shot, they still left the canon untouched and adapt it the way it is.
BackgroundCharaMay 8, 2016 2:01 PM
May 8, 2016 2:26 PM

Jul 2015
BackgroundChara said:

Yeah, this is what I disagree with. Sure, you can skip the stretchy-ness of the canon material to get to the points of whatever in OP, but that still doesn't toss the fact that the canon material of One Piece either are very stretched or just has very slow pacing This kind of aspect is also in the manga, but it's much more noticeable or frequent in the anime). Naruto, along with other anime such as Bleach and Fairy Tail, mostly just has a ton of filler stuff. The canon material itself usually doesn't have slow pacing or are stretched frequently. Not to mention that the fillers are usually not mixed within the canon material, so you can skip them with less worry of missing pretty much anything important if whatever filler content isn't towards your liking or interest.
May 8, 2016 2:41 PM
Aug 2015
AmyTwo said:
BackgroundChara said:

but that still doesn't toss the fact that the canon material of One Piece either are very stretched or just has very slow pacing
I'm really sorry for saying this but I'm starting to wonder whether I'am actually a fucking genius or people just had the attention span of a goldfish.

Did you really said that right after I said OP snail pace is not about stretching the canon material?
ToeI rarely extend canon material hence why I said OP canon content rarely suffer from snail pace especially if it's an important scene.
I already put an example above where Toei adapt the canon content the way it is with proper pacing and without unnecessary stretching, sure there are some where they messed up but not much if you compared it to the canon content they adapt properly.

And is there any OP canon content that got mixed with fillers?
May 8, 2016 2:57 PM

Dec 2012
BackgroundChara said:
You could skip filler in Naruto and so does One Piece, you can skip the random dressrosaian running, close up shot of someone face and what not and enjoy the canon content with proper pacing. The only reason OP is still bearable is because ToeI didn't had the guts yet to even lay a hand on the canon content save for a certain moment(Usopp-Sugar long range fight) and always deliver especially if it's an important scene e.g G4, Sabo Fire fist, Kaido intro, Hakuba and a lot more.

You clearly didn't watch OP if you seriously think people actually watch it in 1.2x speed.
The trend in OP is mostly 'nothing happened in the first half, and canon content start in the second half' and again save for a certain episode with decent canon content the whole episode.
The snail pace ruin the canon content rarely apply to OP because OP snail pace isn't about extending a scene but more about random padding, awkward pause and close up shot, they still left the canon untouched and adapt it the way it is.

Man both of your paragraphs make little to no sense.

1. How is skipping filler the same as skipping scenes IN a canon episodes? the former is about not watching a whole episode period, the latter is you skipping some dragged out scenes, recaps, etc.This comparison would make more sense if it was Naruto's flashbacks vs the stalling of one piece since both of these are padding.

Also you already contradicted your whole point since you admitted one piece has stalling in it.

One Piece pace is slower than Naruto, One Piece has less chapter average adaptation than Naruto. That's a simple fact, don't try to twist it with things that don't even make sense on their own.

2. Lol why would someone even need to watch one piece to know that OTHER PEOPLE watch it with increase speed? I just read comments of people who did that.

Example of said comments:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=613805#msg22687691
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=453655&show=50#msg45847477
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1480068#msg44878498
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1495091#msg45345894

How does that matter? snail pacing is snail pacing and it ruins the enjoyment of watching it. If anything extending a scene is better than pausing and close ups it actually implies progress instead of a static quo
tsudecimoMay 8, 2016 3:00 PM
May 8, 2016 3:00 PM

Apr 2013
BY EPISODE 28 YOU'LL HAVE FELT THE BURN TWICE ALREADY.
May 9, 2016 12:07 AM
Aug 2015
tsudecimo said:
BackgroundChara said:

Man both of your paragraphs make little to no sense.

1. How is skipping filler the same as skipping scenes IN a canon episodes? the former is about not watching a whole episode period, the latter is you skipping some dragged out scenes, recaps, etc.This comparison would make more sense if it was Naruto's flashbacks vs the stalling of one piece since both of these are padding.

Also you already contradicted your whole point since you admitted one piece has stalling in it.

One Piece pace is slower than Naruto, One Piece has less chapter average adaptation than Naruto. That's a simple fact, don't try to twist it with things that don't even make sense on their own.

2. Lol why would someone even need to watch one piece to know that OTHER PEOPLE watch it with increase speed? I just read comments of people who did that.

Example of said comments:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=613805#msg22687691
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=453655&show=50#msg45847477
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1480068#msg44878498
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1495091#msg45345894

How does that matter? snail pacing is snail pacing and it ruins the enjoyment of watching it. If anything extending a scene is better than pausing and close ups it actually implies progress instead of a static quo

1. It is the same, because both of them is a filler material that doesn't matter to the canon material, what's make Naruto repetitive flashback different than it's filler episode and One Piece filler scene? none, since both of them didn't had anything to do with canon material and completely skippable.

Oh the 'what people said in the internet must be true' mentality, magnificent.

Well that does matter, people always said they rather have filler than snail pace since it might ruin the canon content while the fact is, One Piece canon content barely affected by the snail pace,
If you talk about ruining the enjoyment then filler also ruin the enjoyment, especially when they did it it a middle of important moment.
so it's just a matter of pick your poison.
May 10, 2016 6:20 AM

Apr 2011
The pacing is garbage. The only way you can enjoy watching this is to wait a year or two and watch a whole arc in one shot. That's what I did with Fisherman, Hazard punk and Dressrosa. (not counting that I have never watched the anime outside the 4Kids dub until the war arc, so that also gave me around 500 episodes to watch in one shot too)

Only manga readers can actually watch this shit because they already know what happens.
May 11, 2016 1:27 AM

Aug 2014
AForgottenSoul said:
Lust said:
@AForgottenSoul

The point here is being the actual content, after opening and intro. It is dragged beyond annoying. They show the sceneries, reused scenes for an extended period of time. It is very true that the important parts can be very exciting, but when nothing is happening, its just bad.

But let's take Dressrosa arc for instance.
May 11, 2016 6:42 AM

Oct 2013
PotatoFlare said:
AForgottenSoul said:

The point here is being the actual content, after opening and intro. It is dragged beyond annoying. They show the sceneries, reused scenes for an extended period of time. It is very true that the important parts can be very exciting, but when nothing is happening, its just bad.

9 episodes!

Note that pacing is measurement of event by time, not how much time it takes to reach a checkpoint. Just like velocity, there is no difference between running 100 meters in 1 minute or 10 in 6 seconds. Meaning that saying that it took a long time to take Doflamingo means basically nothing in terms of pacing if you don't specify the length of events that had.
May 11, 2016 9:15 AM

Apr 2009
PotatoFlare said:
AForgottenSoul said:

this arc was bad i admit it but previous arcs i had no problem with pace
May 11, 2016 9:25 AM

Dec 2014
I kinda like the pace and overalll... maybe because I am one of those die hard fans
May 11, 2016 9:40 AM

Jan 2014
People are ignoring the fact that the pace is not the same all through. Dressrosa's pacing which is one of the worst is not the same as East Blue saga.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 11, 2016 10:53 AM

Aug 2014
Most of the time I didn't mind the pacing in this arc, I mean, it had a lot to tell, no wonder it has 100+ episodes, still didn't finish. But toward the end, or after the kolossium fights it felt a little too long. Now that everything is getting wrapped up, it feels much better.

More topics from this board

» Egghead's pacing has been spectacular!

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

4 by Sagepool »»
60 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joe1991 - Sep 19, 2008

112 by TheStarscream759 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 992 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Sep 18, 2021

83 by Yubisoft »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Would you some day completely rewatch OP?

Zimmu - Mar 13

41 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 357 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 12, 2008

45 by bakakisima »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.