Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 30, 2016 2:40 PM
Mar 2016
This probably contains spoilers for people who haven't watched the last episode of Kuroshitsuji II, just fyi.

At the end, I was a pretty confused about why Sebastian would continue to be Ciel's butler, even though he became a demon. I thought the Fastian Contract was basically void because Ciel's soul can no longer be consumed. Claude killed Alois before he finished his revenge, which is technically against the terms of the contract, so does that mean the demon can nullify the contract if he's no longer interested in the human's soul?

In the last scene of the last episode, after he became a demon,

Ciel says, "It feels good, like i've been set free from a long-lasting spell,"

to which Sebastian replied, "On the other hand, I have earned an everlasting spell."

What do you think of this? To me it sounds like Ciel is talking about finally being done with all the crazy stuff he's been through since his parents' death and Sebastian lamenting about being cursed to be Ciel's butler for the rest of time. However, Ciel doesn't seem like he would make Sebastian continue being his butler forever against Sebastian's will just for the hell of it.

Also, in the carriage ride scene before the last scene,
Ciel says, "In that rose labyrinth, I gave you an order. You will be my butler forever."

"Yes," Sebastian replies, "and since I answered 'yes' to that order, even if i cannot eat your soul, I am still one hell of a demon's butler."

This is a little confusing, I'm not sure if, when Sebastian said that he answered "yes" to Ciel's order, he was referring to Ciel's order from the rose labyrinth or the "You will be my butler forever" order.
Either way, this leads me to believe that it was Sebastian's choice to end up as Ciel's butler forever.

Sorry if my question was incoherent.
How do you think Sebastian felt about being Ciel's butler for eternity?
Sparklemint1Mar 30, 2016 2:44 PM
Apr 23, 2016 4:55 PM
Nov 2015
It's been quite some time since I've seen the second season now, but I think the point was that Sebastian could not get out of being a butler to Ciel because Ciel ordered it. Technically, the contract would be fulfilled once Sebastian helped Ciel exact revenge on his parents' murderers and took his soul, but now that Ciel is a demon Sebastian can't do this. The series sort of implies that demons usually take their contracts very seriously, and so as long as the two of them are bound they are stuck together.

Also, the order from the rose labyrinth and the "You will be my butler forever" order, are the same thing I believe. Ciel is making Sebastian recall this order that he made to him in the labyrinth that until Sebastian devours his soul he will be his butler. Now that he cannot devour Ciel soul, he must remain his butler forever.

Now for the last thing, it is my personal opinion that Sebastian had no choice here. It seems to me that Sebastian's own feelings and desires remain a bit shrouded in mystery for a reason, as Sebastian is not human and probably has no type of personality that we could understand. The truth is, I think Sebastian, if anything, is pretty darn ticked off that he didn't get his meal. After all, how long did he wait for Ciel's soul? A few years I think. Which means he hasn't been eating any other souls in between and he's probably starving. And now, after all he went through to get that one, delectable soul, that he borderline obsessed over for most of season 2, it's gone. And now he has to serve this kid for the rest of eternity knowing he's never going to get anything out of it.

So, yeah. That's my take. It was partially for this reason that I wasn't a huge fan of the second season... I thought the first season had a perfect ending even if it wasn't necessarily a happy one. Season 2 just... left me feeling rather cheated, haha.

Anyway, hope that helps, or at least gives you a second opinion! I know you posted this a while ago.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veain - Sep 16, 2010

850 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 25, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shadowsword - Sep 2, 2010

364 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 25, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shadowsword - Aug 19, 2010

1505 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 24, 4:29 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LadyTalion - Aug 5, 2010

208 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LadyTalion - Jul 22, 2010

200 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 23, 7:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.