Forum Settings
Forums

What you're an anime fan!? But you look so normal!!

New
Feb 10, 2016 6:45 PM

Sep 2015
Recently a new semester has started and if you're in college you're constantly meeting new people in your classes. A little while back I've acquainted a fellow classmate; he's a great person, I barely know him and he took pictures of his textbook and sent them to me, let's me borrow his notes when I missed the previous class, etc., and seems really bright/smart, always a lesson ahead during lectures. Now to get back on topic today I went to class nearly 30 minutes early because my previous class ended extremely early because my professor was sick, so I'm just in my class reading Saekano for a couple of minutes when my acquaintance comes in and before even greeting me he yells out 'OMG, YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN!?' and at this point I'm already embarrassed from all the looks my classmates are giving but still I give him a reply and he goes on to say 'BUT YOU LOOK SO NORMAL! DO YOU PURPOSELY HIDE THAT YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN?' What? Is there a certain way that anime fans are supposed to look? And no I don't hide that I'm a anime fan or else I wouldn't be reading a light novel in public. Anyways this experience was weird and it definitely made my relationship with him a bit awkward. Do you guys have any similar experiences?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 10, 2016 7:37 PM

Oct 2011
>implying that all anime fans look complete weirdos
smh

I look pretty normal irl but I'm very open when it comes to anime.
Feb 10, 2016 7:40 PM

Jul 2012
lol no one's ever said that to me

probably because I wear glasses and I'm Asian so they expect me to like some sort of Asian hobby/media
Feb 10, 2016 7:41 PM

Jun 2012
I don't try to hide it, but just don't really talk about it very often since I know people can't relate. When it somehow manages to get brought up, I got the "oh, you like anime? What do you even like about that stuff?" kind of response from some people and some other people just don't seem to give a shit.

Never have I heard of someone implying there is a certain look an anime fan has to have.
HolybaptiserFeb 10, 2016 7:46 PM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 10, 2016 7:42 PM

Oct 2014
Around here being an anime fan is fairly common. Just like how stoners and bookworms come in all shapes and sizes so do anime fans.
Feb 10, 2016 7:43 PM

Aug 2015
I guess I look like a typical anime fan,with me being overweight while having a mostly black wardrobe. *sigh* I'm such a weeaboo. *shakes head* Most people don't really get surprised when they see me reading manga or watching anime probably because I have lots of anime/manga merchandise with me wearing anime related clothes a lot.

Feb 10, 2016 7:46 PM

Jul 2015
My experience was a little like yours, except he called me a fuckboy and got his friends to harass me the rest of the year. I still don't hide my love for anime however.
Feb 10, 2016 7:48 PM

Sep 2015
Wut? no one ever said that to me.

They say something like "You like anime?Haha faggot" or something along those lines.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 10, 2016 7:54 PM

Feb 2014
I am kinda in the same situation when I meet new people, however, due to my speech mannerism and my vocab they think I am a comic book like dc or marvel lover so for reason. I wear normal clothes because if I ever get anime related things I would keep it in my room and I am broke. I usually wait for a conversion to happen first in order to join. I don't think people realize that anime fans can be normal people. Which makes it difficult to reveal to others.

♪All his life has been, a roller coaster ride of dream
No time for looking back, forgetting who or what
His song is all that he leaves behind,
On silent nights I hear him still, whistling a tune I know so well
Gun in hand, rose in another, He's Lupin the 3rd♪

Feb 10, 2016 7:56 PM
Jan 2013
heuheuehuehue, CompSci class, everyone is a goddamn nerd one way or another. It usually means they do read manga and like anime and suchs.

But yee, also, never had things like "Oh, you like anime and stuffs?????? I'm surpriiiiiiiised!!!!!" said to me,
Mayuka said:
probably because I wear glasses and I'm Asian so they expect me to like some sort of Asian hobby/media

singingpaw said:
Well now pretty much all of my classmates know, but last year I was reading the sword art online light novel (regret this haha) and this guy just grabbed it and opened it and was just like "Crap I thought that you were reading manga."
It was kind of awkward but eh. There was also this weeb dude in my classes who would read ecchi in class and always tried to get me to defend him once he found out I was an anime fan. (I'm in high school btw)
Anyways anime is pretty popular where I live so it's not really a big surprise anyways.
One girl was actually surprised that I didn't know the Japanese title for Parasyte.
Dude just yanked yo book from yo hands? Wot even?
I also had a buddy once that was pretty open about ecchi and stuffs, I didn't really agreed with his methods but I guess I could respect his passion.
gone bai bai
Feb 10, 2016 7:58 PM

Jun 2012
Mkim said:
I also had a buddy once that was pretty open about ecchi and stuffs, I didn't really agreed with his methods but I guess I could respect his passion.
It doesn't even matter what you think because ecchi is life, bro.

Feb 10, 2016 7:59 PM

Oct 2014
People have made fun of me at school for watching moe anime but not for watching anime in general.
Feb 10, 2016 8:01 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES i've gotten these phrases

"i can't believe you're this big fun black guy and you're profile is full of all this anime"

"you don't look like someone who watches anime" <--- another person who'd met me offline through another website

"you don't look like someone who's into anime" <--- someone who i know online who i sent a pic too

"if i' didn't know you, and i saw you, i never would've guessed you'd be into anime"

"you sound black" <--- someone hearing my voice for the first time on skype

"HOLY SHIT, YOU'RE BLACK!" <--- again, someone hearing my voice on skype

i guess when you're 6'4 and black with a deep ass voice you're only expected to like movies, sports r&b and hip hop, and not "my waifu anime" :(

even when i let people know i like anime, i usually have to prove it too them, cause its like, no one ever immediately believes me cause i look so ghetto to some ppl xD

but theres TONS of anime fans here, and many big cons, so im good overall
Feb 10, 2016 8:01 PM

Aug 2015
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that when I tell people I watch anime, I usually tell people this just to see their reaction, all of them don't really care. I get treated nice where I live, also liking anime here is semi-popular I guess.

Feb 10, 2016 8:03 PM
Jan 2013
Holybaptiser said:
Mkim said:
Yeah, I've come to terms with that, it was more some sort of internal conflict since it was a few years ago and I wasn't yet awoken to mi tru feelings

zombie_pegasus said:
People have made fun of me at school for watching moe anime but not for watching anime in general.
You between brothas now, brutha. Bruthas that understand the perfection that is moe.
gone bai bai
Feb 10, 2016 8:05 PM

Jul 2014
he was obviously expecting like some pale, lanky person or a dumb looking, obese person because thats generally the sterotype, i mean these types of encounters happen alot when your someone into a genre thats taboo, its not like some sort of special case

you say your athiest or into hinduism, or you like anime or you like hardcore/metal music but you dont dress like it people act like this every single time

generally a thing we all have to deal with at some point

im talking in America, don't know what things are like where you are
ZjjFeb 10, 2016 8:13 PM
Feb 10, 2016 8:07 PM

Jul 2013
chokingasuka said:
he was obviously expecting like some pale, lanky, dumb looking obese person because thats generally the sterotype, i mean these types of encounters happen alot its not like some sort of special case
do you even know what lanky means? smh

No one has said this to me yet.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 10, 2016 8:09 PM

Jun 2014
I've never got that before and I've never tried to hide that I'm an anime fan. I tone down the anime talk when I'm around people who dont watch anime, but that's because it wont interest them. If they ask about it I'll just tell them.
Feb 10, 2016 8:10 PM

Oct 2014
In Australia or at least in Perth here, there's more big-sized, jacked dudes than there are nerdy people (unless they're Asian), so you'd have to get used to seeing two muscular dudes talking about Dragon Ball Z on the train.

As for why people are "shocked" when they see most anime fans are actually just plain normal people (I hope most of us ARE normal), well, lets just say that some anime fans have given the rest of us a bad rep to begin with.

Feb 10, 2016 8:12 PM

Jul 2014
Fuchsia said:
chokingasuka said:
he was obviously expecting like some pale, lanky, dumb looking obese person because thats generally the sterotype, i mean these types of encounters happen alot its not like some sort of special case

Obviously, thats why I said it. Im listing what sterotypes they have of "us" in general.
Feb 10, 2016 8:14 PM

Jul 2013
chokingasuka said:
Fuchsia said:

Obviously, thats why I said it. Im listing what sterotypes they have of "us" in general.
how is "pale" an anime fan stereotype? same with lanky.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 10, 2016 8:15 PM

Jun 2012
Mkim said:
Holybaptiser said:
Yeah, I've come to terms with that, it was more some sort of internal conflict since it was a few years ago and I wasn't yet awoken to mi tru feelings
It just means that you are coming in terms with what's most important and realizing the way of life.

Feb 10, 2016 8:19 PM

Jul 2014
Fuchsia said:
chokingasuka said:

Because that's what the general "Nerd" type is stereotyped as, that skinny pale, skinny lookin weak kid that likes playing video games and shit. This is a pretty general stereotype, dunno why your confused.
Feb 10, 2016 8:21 PM

Jul 2013
chokingasuka said:
Fuchsia said:

Because that's what the general "Nerd" type is stereotyped as, that skinny pale, skinny lookin weak kid that likes playing video games and shit. This is very well known stereotype, dunno why your confused.
Being pale does not make you look like a nerd. Also you're saying skinny but just above your're saying obese. I'm confused by your contradiction.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 10, 2016 8:21 PM
Jan 2013
Holybaptiser said:
Mkim said:
It just means that you are coming in terms with what's most important and realizing the way of life.

hell yee mang, hell yee. It's like when you need to take a big shit, it's really bad if you hold it in. I'm happy to have awoke
gone bai bai
Feb 10, 2016 8:22 PM

Mar 2015
who is the girl on dakimakura?

OT: being anime fans is automaticaly make me not normal? wow! i never know about that!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 10, 2016 8:24 PM
Jan 2013
Kuma said:
who is the girl on dakimakura?

OT: being anime fans is automaticaly make me not normal? wow! i never know about that!
Nia from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
gone bai bai
Feb 10, 2016 8:26 PM
Feb 2016
Having gone to one or six AKONs in my time I can tell you that anime fans run the gambit between old and young all different colors and across gender lines of course. This I believe is an extension of our love of cartoons from our youth.

Not everyones life is like Nogizaka Haruka No Himitsu, Purezza, Finale. That guy obviously knew what anime was and how to spot it so he's at least a little at fault too.
Danos2099Feb 10, 2016 8:30 PM
Feb 10, 2016 8:28 PM

Oct 2014
Kuma said:
who is the girl on dakimakura

Like Mkim aleady said, it's Nia. The dude holding her is basically the god of weeabos. He once jumped out of an airplane with a daki too.
Feb 10, 2016 8:30 PM

Jul 2014
Fuchsia said:
chokingasuka said:

Because that's what the general "Nerd" type is stereotyped as, that skinny pale, skinny lookin weak kid that likes playing video games and shit. This is very well known stereotype, dunno why your confused.
Being pale does not make you look like a nerd. Also you're saying skinny but just above your're saying obese. I'm confused by your contradiction.

I guess our idea/visualization of "Nerd" or "Otaku" types is pretty different.

Let's just agree to disagree my guy.
Feb 10, 2016 8:31 PM

Jan 2015
"Anime fan?? Do you have copy of new one piece episode??"
"Do you like anime?? So how naruto story goin' so far??
That sort reaction, I guess ppl watch many cartoon at their childhood here
But sure many of them stabbed u in the back, look normal or not

la critique de l'intention pure
Feb 10, 2016 8:36 PM

Sep 2014
I have had a similar experience. When I'm at school and someone asks what I'm into/ what I watch and I say Anime, they look at me all surprised and say "you don't look like a type of girl that will watch Anime"
And I think wtf!!? Am I suppose to have ANIME tattooed across my face to let the world know!
Its ridiculous. Never judge a book by it's cover.
Feb 10, 2016 8:51 PM

Nov 2009
chokingasuka said:
he was obviously expecting like some pale, lanky person or a dumb looking, obese person because thats generally the sterotype, i mean these types of encounters happen alot when your someone into a genre thats taboo, its not like some sort of special case

you say your athiest or into hinduism, or you like anime or you like hardcore/metal music but you dont dress like it people act like this every single time

generally a thing we all have to deal with at some point

im talking in America, don't know what things are like where you are

Is it possible to "dress like an atheist" in America?
Around where I live, people default to atheism, and you can occasionally see people dressed in christianity or islam influenced outfits (mostly women covering their heads with a cloth. creepy!) I get the same reaction when I find out people I know are actually christian.

Also, most anime fans I've met IRL don't wear any anime-themed clothing unless it's a major convention. And only a very few of them are actually obese (which is probably unrelated to them being anime fans). Maybe my country is just poor.
Feb 10, 2016 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
Nah, I can't say I've had the same experience. I usually keep the fact that I watch anime to myself. When I do tell people they've always been pretty chill about it.
Feb 10, 2016 9:03 PM

Sep 2015
Mayuka said:
lol no one's ever said that to me

But that goes for me as well. I wear glasses (most of the time) and am Asian. This is very interesting why we got completely different reactions.

TheCrazyCatLady said:
But how did he recognize what you were reading unless he is also familiar with anime???

That's a very good question.

Tatsu765 said:
My experience was a little like yours, except he called me a fuckboy and got his friends to harass me the rest of the year. I still don't hide my love for anime however.

No, that's terrible! Maybe I would've been in a similar situation if I was an anime fan back in high school.
Feb 10, 2016 9:07 PM

Jun 2013
Khaosman-Prime said:
In Australia or at least in Perth here, there's more big-sized, jacked dudes than there are nerdy people (unless they're Asian), so you'd have to get used to seeing two muscular dudes talking about Dragon Ball Z on the train.

As for why people are "shocked" when they see most anime fans are actually just plain normal people (I hope most of us ARE normal), well, lets just say that some anime fans have given the rest of us a bad rep to begin with.

That girl staring at him in the background, tho. Lol
Feb 10, 2016 9:12 PM
Feb 10, 2016 9:16 PM

Oct 2015
My goodness, if I had a nickel for everytime I heard that.
Feb 10, 2016 9:19 PM

Jun 2012
hoopla123 said:
What a filthy casual.

You should have been called a LN fan, not an anime fan.
lmfao I didn't even think of that. Imagine if the OP said, "does it look like I'm watching an anime, you fucking retard?" Shit would have been so savage.. that guy would have gotten dumpstered so hard.

Feb 10, 2016 9:20 PM

Nov 2015
It's like when they see an overweight dude with glasses, a neckbeard, a Chuunibyou tee-shirt and a body pillow they go "okay, he's an anime fan" and hence come to the conclusion that neckbeard=anime fan. But they don't know that 'normal' anime fans do exist it's just that they don't show it off.

Yeah, that shit used to happen a lot back in the midwest (even though I wasn't into anime yet) but not so over here in the west coast..
Feb 10, 2016 9:20 PM

Sep 2015
hoopla123 said:
What a filthy casual.

But I bathe every day.
And same difference. Calm down Hoopla.
Feb 10, 2016 9:21 PM

Apr 2013
Holybaptiser said:
hoopla123 said:
What a filthy casual.

lmfao I didn't even think of that. Imagine if the OP said, "does it look like I'm watching an anime, you fucking retard?" Shit would have been so savage.. that guy would have gotten dumpstered so hard.

OP's friend would have been fookin r3kt

I bet u the friend was a filthy Katofag too

ya_hallo said:
But I bathe every day.

I was saying ur friend is a filthy casual
hoopla123Feb 10, 2016 9:24 PM
Feb 10, 2016 9:25 PM

Jun 2012
hoopla123 said:
Holybaptiser said:

How else would he know what an LN is and relate it to anime? The mystery is being solved here on MAL.

OP, you should be thanking us for our charity detective work.

Go confront that filthy Katofag tomorrow about his bullshit.

Nov 2015
Holybaptiser said:
hoopla123 said:
What a filthy casual.

No, he'd be called a weeb for knowing what an LN is..

Sep 2015
hoopla123 said:
Holybaptiser said:

ya_hallo said:
But I bathe every day.

I don't even think he watches anime though. LOLOL.
Feb 10, 2016 9:27 PM

Apr 2013
Holybaptiser said:
hoopla123 said:

How else would he know what an LN is and relate it to anime? The mystery is being solved here on MAL.

U are a genius fam.

Confront that Katofag with the brilliance of Utaha sama

May the goddess purge the filthy heathen of his misdeeds
Feb 10, 2016 9:27 PM

Jun 2012
4blaze2it0 said:
Holybaptiser said:

That's divine retribution for singling out the OP in front of a bunch of others for what she enjoys.

ya_hallo said:
hoopla123 said:

He's fooling you, dawg. I'm so tempted to jokingly call you a bitch here, but that shit is gonna get me banned.

Roast his ass ASAP.

hoopla123 said:
Holybaptiser said:

U are a genius fam.

What can be said? Best girls don't even win nowadays.
HolybaptiserFeb 10, 2016 9:32 PM

Feb 10, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2015
Holybaptiser said:
hoopla123 said:

LOLOLOL. You guys are too much. ♥
Unfortunately I only see him Monday, Wednesdays.
Feb 10, 2016 9:59 PM

Aug 2015
ya_hallo said:
Recently a new semester has started and if you're in college you're constantly meeting new people in your classes. A little while back I've acquainted a fellow classmate; he's a great person, I barely know him and he took pictures of his textbook and sent them to me, let's me borrow his notes when I missed the previous class, etc., and seems really bright/smart, always a lesson ahead during lectures. Now to get back on topic today I went to class nearly 30 minutes early because my previous class ended extremely early because my professor was sick, so I'm just in my class reading Saekano for a couple of minutes when my acquaintance comes in and before even greeting me he yells out 'OMG, YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN!?' and at this point I'm already embarrassed from all the looks my classmates are giving but still I give him a reply and he goes on to say 'BUT YOU LOOK SO NORMAL! DO YOU PURPOSELY HIDE THAT YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN?' What? Is there a certain way that anime fans are supposed to look? And no I don't hide that I'm a anime fan or else I wouldn't be reading a light novel in public. Anyways this experience was weird and it definitely made my relationship with him a bit awkward. Do you guys have any similar experiences?
Get a clue op. It's just his way of asking you to be his valentines date. The fact that he figured out that you're an anime fan means he really likes you.

Maybe he said what he said cause his palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy, there's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti? I think he's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to drop bombs, but he keeps on forgetting what he wrote down.

Anyways op, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime so just talk to him and ask him what he really meant:)

@Mamster-P Same. Whenever I go on chaturbate, people always get disappointed with the size of my dong. Like they expect it to be huge just cause I'm black:(
Feb 10, 2016 10:00 PM

Apr 2013
Holybaptiser said:
4blaze2it0 said:

That's divine retribution for singling out the OP in front of a bunch of others for what she enjoys.

ya_hallo said:

He's fooling you, dawg. I'm so tempted to jokingly call you a bitch here, but that shit is gonna get me banned.

Roast his ass ASAP.

hoopla123 said:

U are a genius fam.

What can be said? Best girls don't even win nowadays.

Cuz all the plebs have shit taste and the author has no choice but to cater to the plebians for sales.

Feelsbadman
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 12 hours ago

17 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
35 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by palm-tree »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

18 by Memore »»
10 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

59 by Saiunknown »»
19 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

50 by Phloup »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.