Forum Settings
Forums

Nicely drawn rather seinen anime with male main character + action + comedy

New
May 7, 2015 2:50 AM
May 2015
Hello All!

For some time now, I was looking for something new to watch and can’t find anything that would suit me. I’m probably a little bit fussy about how the specific anime is drawn. I’m quite an aesthete, that’s why I can’t dedicate myself to a particular anime, if I don’t like the outline :/

That’s why I decided to ask for your help! :-)

I'm looking for rather seinen anime with the following:

1) A male lead character – sharp, cocky, overconfident, with a backbone, sometimes goofy, but toned-down characters are fine too. For example: Rentaro from “Black Bullet”, Ichigo from “Bleach”, Kaneki from “Tokyo Ghoul”, Kirito from “Sword Art Online”, Yato from “Norigami”, Shiroe from “Log Horizon”.

2) Important side characters would be great.

3) Comedy – a bit of a laugh as a side dish to the major plot.

4) Action, adventure or any other major plot. That would be great if the plot does not revolve solely around romance.

5) Romance – it may be a nice touch to the plot, although it shouldn’t play a significant role in the plot.

6) Basically, I’m looking for something similar in style to those anime I mentioned in point 1) :-)

Thank you in advance for any help! :D
May 7, 2015 2:59 AM
Jul 2018
Lynx85 said:
Hello All!

I'm looking for rather seinen anime with the following:

1) A male lead character – sharp, cocky, overconfident, with a backbone, sometimes goofy, but toned-down characters are fine too. For example: Rentaro from “Black Bullet”, Ichigo from “Bleach”, Kaneki from “Tokyo Ghoul”, Kirito from “Sword Art Online”, Yato from “Norigami”, Shiroe from “Log Horizon”.

6) Basically, I’m looking for something similar in style to those anime I mentioned in point 1) :-)

Sorry to say this buddy but from the 6 anime you mentioned,only 2 are seinen.Are we supposed to just recommend you anime similar to the ones you mentioned,or seinen titles with action?
May 7, 2015 3:20 AM
May 2015
[/quote]
Sorry to say this buddy but from the 6 anime you mentioned,only 2 are seinen.Are we supposed to just recommend you anime similar to the ones you mentioned,or seinen titles with action?[/quote]

That's why I said "rather seinen", but I'm aware, that not all of them are of this kind :-)
I probably prefer anime similar to the ones I mentioned, but if they're seinen that's even better :-)
And I'm a female BTW :D
May 7, 2015 3:41 AM
Jul 2018
Lynx85 said:

That's why I said "rather seinen", but I'm aware, that not all of them are of this kind :-)
I probably prefer anime similar to the ones I mentioned, but if they're seinen that's even better :-)
And I'm a female BTW :D

Oh ok sorry about that,I didn't really get what you meant by "rather seinen",since seinen isn't really a genre of anime but rather a target demographic.Anyways,if I understand correctly you are looking for a more mature feel to a series.

The first anime that came to mind,from your description of what you are looking for is Baccano!It doesn't actually have a main character but any character in the serious could be a considered as the main character.It is seinen,it has comedy,action and romance sub-plot.

The anime that is really similar to the animes you mentioned and is seinen is Darker than Black,which is an anime a lot of people like but I never could get into it.I really struggled in order to finish the first season since nothing really caught my interest but it may be for you since I also did not like Bleach(The first arc was good though),Tokyo Ghoul and Sword Art Online.
Edit:If none of these interest you I still have plenty more seinen titles to recommend
removed-userMay 7, 2015 3:45 AM
May 7, 2015 4:48 AM

May 2012
Having a male main character makes this difficult. A lot of good options in the "rather seinen" category like Nijuu Mensou no Musume, Shion no Ou, or Kill la Kill have female mains. Some of the ones below are anime originals and thus have no official demographic category, but they are all "rather seinen" in their aesthetics.

As a self-proclaimed "esthete," you must watch Hyouge Mono. The main character, a vassal of Oda Nobunaga, is a warrior-esthete who collects masterpieces of pottery used in tea ceremonies. All the main characters are historical personages.

"Bake Neko" and its sequel Mononoke - remarkable artwork from Nakamura Kenji and the staff at Toei
Kurenai - this along with Baccano! made me a Brains-Base fan
Mouryou no Hako - characters by CLAMP; animation by Madhouse
Shinreigari: Ghost Hound - Shirow Masamune and Production I.G
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis - clearly had a big production budget
Sarai-ya Goyou ("House of Five Leaves") - character designs are intentionally a bit strange but you get used to them
Oh! Edo Rocket - even stranger character designs
Samurai Flamenco
Level E
Black Lagoon

Of course, the show that best fits your request is Monster. Given your request, it sounds to me like you don't put plot and characterization first when evaluating shows, so I don't know how you'll react to Monster. If you ignore it on aesthetic grounds, you'll miss one of the finest works ever made for anime.
SeijiSenseiMay 7, 2015 4:57 AM
May 7, 2015 7:02 AM

May 2014
Dropping the K(K-project) recommendation here!. cuz its awesome. well , even if u dont like the plot by itself , the way they carry it will make u atleast interested. and ofcourse the animation is the best i have seen in a while along with Ufotable's works, and the music has interestingly chilly piano pieces.
May 8, 2015 4:23 AM
May 2015
[quote=Preytoor]
Lynx85 said:

The anime that is really similar to the animes you mentioned and is seinen is Darker than Black,which is an anime a lot of people like but I never could get into it.
Edit:If none of these interest you I still have plenty more seinen titles to recommend

Thanks for that, it really looks promising, I nearly drooled myself after seeing random pictures on google images and reading quickly through the plot on wiki ^^ I'm not sure about Baccano!, but I guess I'll give it a go :-)
I'd appreciate any other recommendations :-)
May 8, 2015 4:36 AM
May 2015
SeijiSensei => Thank you for quite a nice ammount of recommendations, I hope you won't take it personally, but none of them were in my taste /but like I said, I'm rather picky in this matter/. I know that I miss a lot of animes that are great, epic even, just because I don't watch them because of the outline. But that's how I am ;-) I can't fully dedicate myself, unless I like the way anime is drawn :-)

eshwar007 => Thanks for the K-Project recommendation, it really looks awesome and the plot seems to be just fine for me :-)

I'd also like to say, that I'm pleasantly surprised of how helpful you guys are ^^ I visited few Polish forums, but the atmosphere is very often daunting :-( I truly couldn't understand that - we're all anime fans, we should feel that strong bond with each other, instead of fighting with each other, you know? :-)
May 8, 2015 5:12 AM

Feb 2014
Kaze no Stigma - (MC is OP , romance , action , comedy)

Chrome Shelled Regios (MC is OP , some romance , action , comedy , kinda harem)

Strike the Blood (Action , Vampire , romance , harem , comedy)

Hitsugi no Chaika (Action , comedy , adventure , fanstasy)
May 8, 2015 6:52 AM

May 2012
Lynx85 said:
SeijiSensei => Thank you for quite a nice ammount of recommendations, I hope you won't take it personally, but none of them were in my taste

That's OK, but don't take it personally if I ignore any future requests from you.
May 8, 2015 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
SeijiSensei said:
Lynx85 said:
SeijiSensei => Thank you for quite a nice ammount of recommendations, I hope you won't take it personally, but none of them were in my taste

That's OK, but don't take it personally if I ignore any future requests from you.

Dude,you took it really personally...
May 8, 2015 7:16 AM

May 2012
Preytoor said:
Dude,you took it really personally...

Sorry. I didn't mean it to sound that way.

I often invest ten or fifteen minutes in a reply of the sort I gave here. I offered suggestions chosen to represent a variety of visual styles within the other constraints of the request, "rather seinen" and "male MC". Some of these shows, particularly Mononoke, have extraordinary art work like this:

A few others are good examples of the hyper-realistic style we see from studios like Madhouse and Brains-Base. Some are "glossy" like Ghost Hound or Bahamut. A couple more like Rocket use off-beat designs. If after I've presented all those artistic options the OP says, "none of them are to my taste," then I'll just accept that our artistic tastes differ so much that I haven't much to offer.

@Lynx85 - I'll try again, but with girls this time. Do you like the art in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica?
http://www.crunchyroll.com/puella-magi-madoka-magica/episode-1-i-first-met-her-in-a-dream-or-something-591735
SeijiSenseiMay 8, 2015 7:19 AM
May 8, 2015 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
Lynx85 said:

Thanks for that, it really looks promising, I nearly drooled myself after seeing random pictures on google images and reading quickly through the plot on wiki ^^ I'm not sure about Baccano!, but I guess I'll give it a go :-)
I'd appreciate any other recommendations :-)

Your welcome,really glad you liked it ;)
Considering your taste in anime,I think you will also enjoy Psycho Pass a lot and maybe Parasyte.Both are seinen titles and fit the description of what you like.
May 8, 2015 7:51 AM
Jul 2018
SeijiSensei said:

Sorry. I didn't mean it to sound that way.

I often invest ten or fifteen minutes in a reply of the sort I gave here. I offered suggestions chosen to represent a variety of visual styles within the other constraints of the request, "rather seinen" and "male MC". Some of these shows, particularly Mononoke, have extraordinary art work like this:

A few others are good examples of the hyper-realistic style we see from studios like Madhouse and Brains-Base. Some are "glossy" like Ghost Hound or Bahamut. A couple more like Rocket use off-beat designs. If after I've presented all those artistic options the OP says, "none of them are to my taste," then I'll just accept that our artistic tastes differ so much that I haven't much to offer.

I think I get what you mean.But all these anime you recommended,even though they seem great to me,don't seem to match op's taste in anime.She gave some examples of what she likes so it would be better to recommend based on that instead on your own taste in anime.For example the anime that I recommended I don't even like that much(except baccano which I thought was pretty great)but seem like something the op would like.But I can't exactly say that you made a bad recommendation since it is good to take people out of their usual comfort zone and let the have a new experience.
May 8, 2015 8:11 AM
Apr 2015
Emiya Kiritsugu - Fate/Zero (all characters are important) (serious)
Lelouch - Code Geass (Has comedy, I guess)
Hei - Darker than Black (Has comedy)
Spike - Cowboy Bebop (Has comedy)
Yuuji - Grisaia no Kajitsu - First season is meh but the sequeals are very good imo. harem (Has comedy, maybe)
Ciel - Kuroshitsuji series (Has comedy)
Tatsuya - Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (Has comedy)
Both male mc - Samurai Champloo (Has comedy)
Both male mc - Shingeki no Bahamit Genesis (Has comedy)
Steins Gate? (Has comedy)

They fit the ''competent MC'' and all of them are decent to good shows. Might as well try.

May 9, 2015 1:44 AM
May 2015
Preytoor said:

But all these anime you recommended,even though they seem great to me,don't seem to match op's taste in anime.She gave some examples of what she likes so it would be better to recommend based on that instead on your own taste in anime.For example the anime that I recommended I don't even like that much(except baccano which I thought was pretty great)but seem like something the op would like.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant :-) You seem to get exactly what I'm looking for, because Psycho Pass also looks great and I'll check that out definitely :-) I watched few episodes of Parasyte, but... I just can't - that's because of Migi :/ I know that many people think it's cute, but for me it's repulsive :/ the way his hand wiggles - creepy ;-)
May 9, 2015 1:54 AM
Jul 2018
Lynx85 said:

Yep, that's exactly what I meant :-) You seem to get exactly what I'm looking for, because Psycho Pass also looks great and I'll check that out definitely :-) I watched few episodes of Parasyte, but... I just can't - that's because of Migi :/ I know that many people think it's cute, but for me it's repulsive :/ the way his hand wiggles - creepy ;-)

I seriously have no idea why someone would think migi is cute.In my opinion he is supposed to be creepy and repulsive which goes along with his character in the beginning of the series.But if it is not your thing that's just fine.Glad you are interested in Psycho Pass.It's a really great and interesting series.
May 9, 2015 2:23 AM
May 2015
SeijiSensei said:
I often invest ten or fifteen minutes in a reply of the sort I gave here. I offered suggestions chosen to represent a variety of visual styles within the other constraints of the request, "rather seinen" and "male MC".
@Lynx85 - I'll try again, but with girls this time. Do you like the art in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica?

I really appreciate you took the time to prepare such complex reply, but you should accept the fact that I don't have to like all those options - everyone have a certain taste in art/music/manga&anime/movies/etc. It would be boring if everyone liked the same stuff ;-)

In case of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - it looks nice, though most of the characters are females ;-)

Overall, thanks guys! Now, I really have quite a lot of to choose from and can't wait to explore at least some of them :-)
May 9, 2015 2:26 AM
May 2015
Preytoor said:

I seriously have no idea why someone would think migi is cute.In my opinion he is supposed to be creepy and repulsive which goes along with his character in the beginning of the series.

Trust me, such people are out there :D When I said that Migi is repulsive, I heard that "why would you say that, it's sooo cute and has funny voice and all" O.o
May 9, 2015 2:46 AM
Jul 2018
Lynx85 said:

Trust me, such people are out there :D When I said that Migi is repulsive, I heard that "why would you say that, it's sooo cute and has funny voice and all" O.o

Some people sure have a weird definition of cute...
May 9, 2015 3:04 AM
May 2015
You can say that again ;-)
Jun 28, 2020 9:04 AM
Jun 2020
I need to watch an anime with action and matured characters with a good plot, i mean most of the guys in anime's are either a wimpy superman or like a humanity lover, i need an anime where tge truth is shown, humans kill each other for their gains, i wanna see plots which are like sword of the stranger, darker than black, death note, parasyte, mirrai nikki(although the MC is a wimp),abd my favorite BERSERK, lemme warn you though, i've seen most of the series, but not much movies though, and most of the good shounens too, like hunter x hunter, you guys get it right, shows with substance. And i like romance, but not the hero saves girl and now she's out for his dick kinda plot.

More topics from this board

» Looking for anime like Aria the Animation and Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

AdityaRizkiS - 6 hours ago

3 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
1 hour ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
3 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
4 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

9 by JoeChip »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.