Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 13, 2014 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
Smooched said:
She seems very realistic ...stop right there.

Why did I imagine the guard from Oblivion saying that while I read this xD
Mar 14, 2014 3:28 AM

Apr 2010
People are saying that Koko is not realistic? Oh my, there are really girls out there who are like Koko. Crazy, stalker obsessive kinds. Not everyone is normal as you think they are. Look at the news for example, it shows men and their overbearing girlfriends.
Just because you don't think it's realistic, doesn't mean it really isn't.
Never ignore a person who loves you, cares for you, and misses you. Because one day, you might wake up from your sleep and realize that you lost the moon while counting the stars.
Mar 14, 2014 3:42 AM
Jul 2018
I get the feeling that the Koko haters are the types of guys who have never been in real relationships and are generally intimidated by girls who arent Rei Ayanami clones.

That said whether koko is realistic or not is unimportant. The truth is that her character drives this story and if she were a relatively stoic mary sue like linda this show would not have been such a hit. The drama and conflict from the story greatly stems from watching koko and her peers struggle with her behavior and insecurities. Clearly those who hate koko here 2 episodes away from the end enjoyed the show enough (despite teh crappy animation) to keep watching. So the show and koko has done its job
Mar 14, 2014 3:44 AM

Mar 2014
Why hate Koko?? She's the most interesting character in the whole story and she's what keeps the plot moving! Even though im a Linda supporter... Without Koko, this show wouldnt be half as interesting lol ^_^
If anime characters were real, i'd probably be the happiest person alive! Or just dead.... ^_^

Mar 14, 2014 5:05 AM

Jun 2012
I think Koko is a great character.

However, I don't think using the word "realistic" is an accurate description of her. I understand that it's being used to perhaps contrast with the boilerplate "un-realistic" characters that female love-interests, in anime, tend towards...but you can't describe features that are, in themselves, excessive and unusual as realistic. She does have growth, yes - but that doesn't make her a realistic character.

Rather, I'd refer to her as a well-fleshed out character, or something along those lines. Calling her realistic is just going to spur more arguments. Besides, if we're using "realistic" in the sense of it being an aggregate example of how people interact in regular, daily life...the award for realism would probably go to Banri or Linda. They aren't necessarily fleshed-out [particularly Linda], but they react to tough situations in ways that aren't always well-thought out...a regular, daily thing.
Mar 14, 2014 5:17 AM
Dec 2013
Koko is my favorite character in the anime by far and to be honest how would you react if the person you love talks about his/her past self loving some one else who happens to be a senpai in the club you go to and then to say those feelings could come up at anytime. Anyone would feel insecure about that.
Mar 14, 2014 5:22 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Nawhdee said:

However, I don't think using the word "realistic" is an accurate description of her. I understand that it's being used to perhaps contrast with the boilerplate "un-realistic" characters that female love-interests, in anime, tend towards...but you can't describe features that are, in themselves, excessive and unusual as realistic. She does have growth, yes - but that doesn't make her a realistic character.

Rather, I'd refer to her as a well-fleshed out character, or something along those lines. Calling her realistic is just going to spur more arguments. Besides, if we're using "realistic" in the sense of it being an aggregate example of how people interact in regular, daily life...the award for realism would probably go to Banri or Linda. They aren't necessarily fleshed-out [particularly Linda], but they react to tough situations in ways that aren't always well-thought out...a regular, daily thing.

I agree with this for the most part.

I think Koko is actually a well written character in the sense that she's some who clearly lacks certain social skills and competencies. She obviously led a sheltered life and being a japanese "ojou-sama" probably people didn't approach her or where intimidated by her. Her social relations were few and we've seen hos she's struggled to engage people normally. So her reaction to adversity or certain situations is unpredictable at best or terribly inappropiate at worst.

She'll come round once Banri gets his own mind sorted out.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 14, 2014 7:10 AM

Jul 2013
Nawhdee said:

It depends on what you mean by realistic. Typically it means are the characters action real based on what we know about the characters. Does it fit their character traits and tendencies, is it within the character to behave that way. So real for the story, not real for real life.

The problem is the anime. Koko is exaggerated in the anime. There are details missing. Read the light novel, it contains more details. In the light novel Koko is portrayed better and feels more realistic than Linda. Koko goes through some serious growth. Linda remains the same.
Mar 14, 2014 9:46 AM

Jun 2012
RightSaidFred said:
Nawhdee said:

It depends on what you mean by realistic. Typically it means are the characters action real based on what we know about the characters. Does it fit their character traits and tendencies, is it within the character to behave that way. So real for the story, not real for real life.

The problem is the anime. Koko is exaggerated in the anime. There are details missing. Read the light novel, it contains more details. In the light novel Koko is portrayed better and feels more realistic than Linda. Koko goes through some serious growth. Linda remains the same.

I don't have time to backtrack, but the general definition in the thread seemed to be realism in the sense of conforming to some vague sense of what is "real", as opposed to other love interests from different shows - ergo, Koko is a good character. Again, I'd just use "believable" or some synonym instead of using "realism". Even in defining realism by your own definition, it seems to me to not really apply to Koko in comparison to other characters. Whether that's because the anime fails to fully flesh her out, I don't know - but, again using your definition, I've never felt that the Koko in the anime acted erratically in a way that wasn't explainable from her personality or character.
Mar 14, 2014 10:36 AM

Jul 2013
Nawhdee said:
I don't have time to backtrack, but the general definition in the thread seemed to be realism in the sense of conforming to some vague sense of what is "real", as opposed to other love interests from different shows - ergo, Koko is a good character. Again, I'd just use "believable" or some synonym instead of using "realism". Even in defining realism by your own definition, it seems to me to not really apply to Koko in comparison to other characters. Whether that's because the anime fails to fully flesh her out, I don't know - but, again using your definition, I've never felt that the Koko in the anime acted erratically in a way that wasn't explainable from her personality or character.

Interesting. If we are going with the real as in real life, then none of the characters are real. If we are going with real or believable as in true the character's motivation, then Koko is closer to that definition. She shows growth and change through the series. Linda stays the same.

I said Koko behavior was exaggerated, not erratic. The exaggeration takes her behavior it makes look wild, crazier than how she is in the LN. It was very off putting for me. Koko has more depth in the LN.
Mar 14, 2014 11:03 AM

Apr 2012
Nee-sama said:
First off, I'm going to say that I like Kouko quite a bit (then again, I also like the other characters as well since, well, they all have their moments), so this is definitely going to be biased one way or another (not like that's supposed to be much of a surprise or anything).

I personally don't understand the hate for Kouko. She seems very realistic (you know, compared to most anime characters anyway) and is very insecure it seems. I mean, sure she has stalker tendencies, clingy habits and she'll exaggerate her emotions, but seriously, a LOT of people are like this (okay, maybe not so much on the stalking part) and you know what? Most people do it subconsciously and some are completely unaware of this.

I mean, Kouko seems to have trust issues. That sparks not only more insecurity in her heart, but causes her to doubt Banri's fidelity and will stalk him. She also seems to dislike herself and is not confident in her abilities. Like, really, she constantly tries to woo Banri over, and she's competing against Linda, someone that she really admires. She must really love Banri to have to confront her insecurities in order to win him over. She's making a great effort to fix her problem spots, but the hardest part about doing that is admitting that you have flaws, and man, imagining horrible things about yourself only brings your self-esteem down even lower.

I speak from personal experience (again, not the stalking part). I have low self-esteem (like most) and my fair share of insecurities. I have trust issues, and I feel lonely quite often. I always have a desire for attention (seriously, a LOT of people do), but I'm even weaker than Kouko in a way where I won't try to fix my flaws because it's scary and it's hard. It's hard confronting yourself and it really takes a lot of work to do something about it.

Kouko fears abandonment and rejection, and that's a really normal thing. I feel like a lot of people hate her because some people are just way too focused on imagining what it would be like if they were going out with Kouko (as weird as it may sound). Creepy stalker chick? No one wants that, right? God, I swear, a lot of girls are like Kouko, but they don't display it as often (if at all) like Kouko.

TL;DR: You suck, my opinion is right and yours is obviously wrong. This is the internet. I'll keep debating until you realize that Kouko is best girl.

+1

Don't give up OP!
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Mar 14, 2014 11:25 AM

Jan 2014
Trollbrotherno1 said:
I get the feeling that the Koko haters are the types of guys who have never been in real relationships and are generally intimidated by girls who arent Rei Ayanami clones.

I'm not a Kouko hater but... wha? Honestly, I believe it's the opposite. Kouko is like a perfect girlfriendl for a guy who has never been in real relationship before. I mean, she is rich, beautiful, cute, and loves you so much. One without the experience probably wouldn't even think having girlfriend like that is tiring and a pain in the neck.

RightSaidFred said:

Interesting. If we are going with the real as in real life, then none of the characters are real. If we are going with real or believable as in true the character's motivation, then Koko is closer to that definition. She shows growth and change through the series. Linda stays the same.

Her growth/change is actually one of the unbelievable part about her, imo. Like what this guy said:

wavevague said:
3. Obsessing with your friend 100% and switching her crazy love to you within a few days is bat shit crazy!!! Biggest red flag about her mental condition.

P.S: Best girl is obviously Nana.
Mar 14, 2014 11:48 AM

Jul 2013
wanderingplayboy said:

Her growth/change is actually one of the unbelievable part about her, imo. Like what this guy said:

wavevague said:
3. Obsessing with your friend 100% and switching her crazy love to you within a few days is bat shit crazy!!! Biggest red flag about her mental condition.

That's the problem with the anime. Koko did not fall in love with Banri in a matter of days. A significant amount of time past before Koko told Banri she loved him. You need to read the light novel. These are details that are omitted in the anime.

FYI, Banri confessed to Koko first and Koko turned him down.
Mar 14, 2014 11:57 AM

Jan 2014
RightSaidFred said:
wanderingplayboy said:

wavevague said:

That's the problem with the anime. Koko did not fall in love with Banri in a matter of days. A significant amount of time past before Koko told Banri she loved him. You need to read the light novel. These are details that are omitted in the anime.

I also read the manga, though, and it's still "too soon" for me. Is the manga following the LN closely?
Mar 14, 2014 1:06 PM

Jul 2013
wanderingplayboy said:

I also read the manga, though, and it's still "too soon" for me. Is the manga following the LN closely?

It's closer than the anime. The rejection scene still is not quite right but it's alot better than the anime.
Mar 14, 2014 1:39 PM

Jun 2012
RightSaidFred said:
Nawhdee said:

I said Koko behavior was exaggerated, not erratic. The exaggeration takes her behavior it makes look wild, crazier than how she is in the LN. It was very off putting for me. Koko has more depth in the LN.

I meant erratic in the sense of acting outside of the scope of her personality or character - though, perhaps you meant that she does so due to her exaggeration?

I don't think Koko is necessarily un-realistic, going by the second definition...but I have difficulty in excluding Linda and Banri from those categories as well. If anything, I'd say the show, on the whole, merits that definition of "realism"...what some think is the ridiculous weakness and inability to do the "obvious", in regards to Banri and Linda, seems to me understandable and "realistic".

RightSaidFred said:
wanderingplayboy said:

wavevague said:

I always figured that it wasn't necessarily love that spurned them both on to begin with, but a loneliness that slowly developed into love. But I think loneliness is the predominant theme of the series, so my interpretation is tinted as a result.
Mar 14, 2014 10:51 PM
Dec 2013
Never knew she had haters until now. Oh well, people can hate what they want but I think kouko is a cool character.
Mar 15, 2014 10:49 PM
Dec 2013
wanderingplayboy said:
RightSaidFred said:
wanderingplayboy said:

wavevague said:

Sorry, only watched the anime. How long was the "significant amount of time"?

(Please remember that Koko has been stalking his childhood crush and ruining his love and friendship opportunities for more than a decade. She never took "no" for an answer and never cared what Mitsuo felt because her desires/feelings are more important. It is worst that an obsession. To get over it immediately without time to heal or therapy and love someone else in the same "CRAZY" way seems more like a rebound.)
Mar 16, 2014 8:46 AM

Sep 2011
Deal with it, Kouko best girl, Banri x Kouko otp.
Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly hate Linda, but she gets in the way of my ship.
Shipping > Sanity after all.
Aug 22, 2015 8:18 PM

Jul 2015
Zachary467 said:
Well, I don't.

In fact, I find her to be the best girl in this anime.

This^
Nov 6, 2015 7:28 AM

Jul 2013
IZEROII said:
iVtechboyinpa said:
Trust issues, clinginess, extremely emotional; all those are what make her unique and what makes me like her.
...but the fact that Kouko is so normal (in a RL sense) is just making me want to root for her.

Viewer delusion of normal. That's not normal, that's a personality problem when it affects your relationships and interactions with peers. The fact she is making strides to correct the qualities you describe as "normal" and "unique" kinda says something. These people are in their 20s...but I digress (I'm 26).

Every girl in this show has issues. There is no winner here. The problem with Kouko is she is a fanatic borderline bi polar girl. She's an emotional roller coaster and it's frustrating to watch. The whole insecurity thing is brought on by herself.

For me personally, my tolerance for not rectifying a problem you see in yourself (whether it's in a fictional world or nonfictional) is only excusable for so long. She throws herself too many pity parties and sucks in those around her while resting on that crutch. But, she's making some strides it seems.

She is a loyal girl, a pro. She has no life outside of Banri, a huge con.

In the end, I don't really care. We are at ep 19 and it feels like there hasn't been anything to really sink your teeth into. That's just me.

I love you. Lol jk but no this perfectly describes how I feel about her. She still bothers me to no end though. Haha
Nov 14, 2015 3:04 PM
Sep 2015
Hmm, I don't think people understand what the author intended as humor about Kouko and Banri's relationship and how perfect she is for Banri.

Kouko is the kind of girl that once she decides she falls in love will relentlessly pursue that person and while she loses heart towards the end, that same obsessive behavior ends up being the catalyst that allows Banri to reconcile both his past and present memories. This is the opposite of Linda, who wasn't able to either move forward towards the "New Banri" or pursue the "Past Banri" - as demonstrated by how she initially pretended not to know him.

This is why Kouko is perfect for Banri - she's the person who refuses to be forgotten (because she's a grade-a stalker!)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

891 by Nikmomo93 »»
May 6, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

290 by Profitgang »»
May 5, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2014

268 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 30, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2013

223 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 24, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Golden Time Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

430 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 20, 12:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.